ID4 Attacker: Fighter and Transport

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

ID4 Attacker: Fighter and Transport

Post by Zor »

I was thinking about the alien attackers from Independence Day.
Basically they are about twenty meters long and as wide. It also has a rather spacious internal cabin and is fully VTOL capable. Compare that to a Black Hawk, which has a 1.5 meter long fuselage.
In their exosuits aliens stand about 2.5 meters tall, even so I could easily see this thing carrying a squad of alien troopers into battle, or a small team of alien engineers with equipment to do stuff in the field.

Is this a reasonable assessment?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: ID4 Attacker: Fighter and Transport

Post by Khaat »

The Attacker's observed performance would probably suit "multi-role/mission craft" pretty well, but we also saw dedicated troop-carriers (well, maybe troop carriers) in the mother ship, but the "army" we saw had to get to Earth somehow.

The shown internal space of an Attacker also doesn't seem enough for more than 2-3 exosuited Locusts. Sure David and Capt Hiller moved around okay, but that's after years of the Attacker being stripped and rebuilt. We don't see inside a Locust-maintained Attacker.
It's a "studio scale "model kit interior, but it seems pretty snug for troop-carrying.
(from over here http://goldenarmor.com/id4-alien-attacker-studio-scal/)
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

As the Locusts don't have FTL (as they presumably don't from what we've seen thus far, Resurgence might change this) and we know they used them on interstellar (or at least extra-stellar) scouting missions, the apposite comparison is surely a boat, at best, rather than a plane, we only get in planes for a few hours for the most part; they'd have to spend months in this little puppy.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Zor wrote:I
Basically they are about twenty meters long and as wide. It also has a rather spacious internal cabin and is fully VTOL capable. Compare that to a Black Hawk, which has a 1.5 meter long fuselage.

Err... 15 metre surely?
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Zor wrote:I

Err... 15 metre surely?
Yes.

Dangit.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor