The proper forum to discuss Transformers?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

JamesStaley
Youngling

The proper forum to discuss Transformers?

Post by JamesStaley »

I just want to ask which forum would would be the best place to discuss The Transformers: "Science Fiction" or "Fantasy"?
Personally I think they qualify for both or either.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: The proper forum to discuss Transformers?

Post by Lord Revan »

I think it might also depend on what part of the franchice were talking about as some itterations are more "fantasy" then "scifi" and the other way around.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It's giant robots. That's sci-fi to me. Very 'soft' scifi perhaps but still.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

JamesStaley wrote:I just want to ask which forum would would be the best place to discuss The Transformers: "Science Fiction" or "Fantasy"?
Personally I think they qualify for both or either.
And, ST and SW feature magic powers, god-like beings, and junk science, and they're still considered science fiction(only just in the case of Trek), and the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise has magic particles, Newtypes, and giant robots, some of which transform, and it's also considered science fiction.

So, I think this is the right forum for discussing Transformers.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

There's also a cybertron private forum.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

mr friendly guy wrote:There's also a cybertron private forum.
This.

If you want to join the transformers fan usergroup, just go to your usergroup setting in your user profile (Here, probably) , check the box next to "the transformers" and hit submit.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah but does it see any actual activity? If it's anything like the ones I've got access to, I'd wager not.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Whoa, I didn't even know these groups existed on this forum.

Even if there's little activity, I'm applying to the Transformers group :D
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Crazedwraith wrote:Yeah but does it see any actual activity? If it's anything like the ones I've got access to, I'd wager not.
Not really, eight posts in the last five years. Those private user groups were a thing in the first five years of the board's history, maybe the HAB and writer's group for a further five years, but not really used now.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Starglider wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Yeah but does it see any actual activity? If it's anything like the ones I've got access to, I'd wager not.
Not really, eight posts in the last five years. Those private user groups were a thing in the first five years of the board's history, maybe the HAB and writer's group for a further five years, but not really used now.
Oh :/
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Anyway, regarding the OP's question, I think it sits equally well in either, but if I had to make the call, I'd put it in sci-fi.

Even Transformers at in most fantastic comic book incarnations still qualifies as sci-fi, but I can't say the same about the inverse. So I'd say sci-fi.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I'm a big follower of the IDW stuff :)
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Yes, if you're not reading More Than Meets The Eye ... well, you're sorely missing out.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

And the plot stuff in The Transformers (book formerly known as Robots in Disguise) is pretty good too. Less issue-by-issue payoff but does a good job on large arcs. And Sins of the Wreckers ain't bad either!
JamesStaley
Youngling

Remembering Transformers The (1986) Movie.

Post by JamesStaley »

I really want to post this where more than 2 people will see it in five years. :)

Does anyone here (besides me) remember the ANIMATED Transformers Movie from 1986? Is there anyone here who is learning for the first time that there WAS a Transformers Movie back then, waaaaaay before the current batch of live-action films? Well, there was!

Due to having only a "limited" appeal, the movie did not have a large general release, but was limited only to
"Artsy-Fartsy", "Avant Garde" "Non-Mainstream", "Alternative" theathers. Living in Oklahoma City, we certainly had nothing like that here (fortunately that has changed), so six of us piled into a friend's SUV and drove the 250 miles to Dallas, Texas to see it (SIX guys, Mediocre AC, Middle of Summer.........!). Our driver, Link Robertson, had acquired the CD/Soundtrack already, and subjected us to it three times on the way down, and twice on the way back home. We finally threatened to BREAK IT if he played it one more time!!

Speaking of the soundtrack, it KICKS (DECEPTICON) ASS! Although not available in the U.S., the film is available on DVD and Blu-Ray on Ebay from South Korea and Australia. I just ordered it Monday from S.K.: it should get here "between May and June" (between what YEAR or CENTURY, Ebay didn't say!). I'll keep you informed about what I get.

So there you have it: My fond memories of a road trip way back in 1986 to see the ORIGINAL Transformers Movie.
James Staley
Oklahoma City, OK.

PS. In 1995, five of us piled into a car (built for FOUR!) and took a 388 mile road trip to Austin, Texas to see the debut of the then-hottest anime film in the world, GHOST IN THE SHELL.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Re: Remembering Transformers The (1986) Movie.

Post by Cykeisme »

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone on stardestroyer.net who hasn' seen Transformers: The Movie.

In fact you probably won't have to look very hard to find people who have seen it 10+ times :D

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I haven't. About 90% of my Transformers is the Bay films. The other 10% would have been a few episodes of Beast Wars.
JamesStaley
Youngling

Post by JamesStaley »

Crazedwraith: YOU POOR DEPRIVED CHILD! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING! If you can't find it on-line (I haven't looked), do what i've just done and get yourself over to Evil-bay and order yourself a copy of the film from over-seas. It will only cost you a few dollars (and a month or two in agony waiting for it to arrive) :) You should also IMMEDIATELY get the soundtrack: I promise you won't be sorry!! Put it in your car CD player and listen to it 5 times in a row and you can re-create my 1986 road trip (doesn't that sound like fun!??).
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I can support the notion that it is a very, very good movie, even without giving it any leeway on account of it being a 30 year old animated film; it's enjoyable by any measure.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Cykeisme wrote:I can support the notion that it is a very, very good movie, even without giving it any leeway on account of it being a 30 year old animated film; it's enjoyable by any measure.
I wouldn't quite go *that* far, but I will say it's fun.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nitram was one of the Mods for Cybertron, the Transformers Forum. While it was fizzling out slowly before his death, his loss really hit the whole forum hard.

At this point, while it's not a good place for discussion, Cybertron does have a very nice backlog of discussions, debate, and links that may still be useful. You might even find a link to some of Nitram's Transformers Fan-fiction.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The animated Transformers movie has some punchlines in the decidedly 80s soundtrack and the ordeal with the Junk-bots and Micro-Machines guy. That said, as a guy who never was big into Transformers, the movie actually does have a lot of solid themes in it and some of those I honestly am not too comfortable with being in a "kids" movie. I mean, Starscream dumping injured Decepticons into space as dead weight was pretty traumatic.

RotJ had the Ewoks and still managed to crank out a great movie and one of the most emotionally charged scenes I've ever watched. Not saying TF was as good as RotJ, but imagine if everyone just focused on Ewoks, Ewoks, Ewoks like people did for Dare to be Stupid and Rodimus Prime (which was still a pretty good plotline). Yes, there's dumb moments in the TF kids movie, but those are footnotes, not the entirety of the movie.

"One shall stand. One shall fall." Accept no substitutes.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The movie was very much 80s. That's all there is to say about it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
JamesStaley
Youngling

Transformers Movie The DVD review.

Post by JamesStaley »

The last time I was here, I told you all how I had just ordered the 1986 Transformers Movie 20th Annivarsary Special Edition DVD from Korea and that I would keep you informed about what happened. Well, the DVD got here today (Monday 5/16/16) and i've just finished watching it, so here's my review of the DVD and what you can expect if you are thinking about getting it yourself. I'm not going to comment on the movie except to say "WOW! It STILL kicks butt after 30 years!"
The DVD case's front picture is the classic picture of Optimus holding the Matrix of Leadership above his head. TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE - 20th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION is in english, with a little bit of Korean on it. The picture on the back of the case is all Korean, with a picture of Roddamis-Prime holding the Matrix.
Your audio options are for spoken Korean or the original English, so if you were worried about having to listen to it in korean and read english subtitles, don't be. I had a little problem getting to the english version however, as all of the DVD menu options are in korean, and you may have to fiddle around with the remote control for a bit (as I did) to get to it. You have the choice of listening to it in either Dolby Digital 5.1ch or Dolby Stereo 2ch. Either way, the audio quality is first rate! Playing the Korean version, I actually had to turn down the volume of the TV a few notches.
Speaking of the korean version, I haven't watched that all the way through, but watched about the first 20 minutes of it just to see/hear what they had done with it in regards to character names and soundtrack, and i'm pleased to say that they changed NOTHING: every character has the same original english name and the soundtrack is the same, though it seems I did detect some slight editing problems where they missed a word or beat for a second or two, but nothing major.
So there you have it. If you want to add this to you collection, don't be afraid of it being from Korea.
Watching this movie for me was like getting together with a long-lost friend (but without the long car trip :)}
Recommended Classic viewing!!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Is anyone here up on the latest comics? Especially MtMtE, some quite interesting stuff!