Is Gregory Benford any good?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Is Gregory Benford any good?

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I've been on a hard SF literature kick for a while now and I'm looking for some more material. And naturally my attention has turned to one of the "Killer B's" of science fiction: Gregory Benford.

I've tried reading a few of his books and I don't really recall the quality that well. If the Amazon reviews are anything to go by he doesn't seem to be that outstanding of an author. Are there any books of him that are good?
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Re: Is Gregory Benford any good?

Post by B5B7 »

I found his 'Galactic Center' series interesting. You could perhaps read the first book and see if you like it.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

B5B7 wrote:I found his 'Galactic Center' series interesting. You could perhaps read the first book and see if you like it.
I did try reading Across the Sea of Suns but found myself a bit confused on references to what happened before that book. So I'll give In the Ocean of Night a read. Thank you!
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

I've read Foundation's Fear and Beyond the Fall of Night. Both are Benford playing in someone else's universe (Asimov and Clarke respectively) and in both he was completely and utterly disrespectful of the source material. Neither is worth reading.

Unfortunately, both were so bad that they made me avoid his original works.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

ZOmegaZ wrote:I've read Foundation's Fear and Beyond the Fall of Night. Both are Benford playing in someone else's universe (Asimov and Clarke respectively) and in both he was completely and utterly disrespectful of the source material. Neither is worth reading.

Unfortunately, both were so bad that they made me avoid his original works.
You were probably wise to avoid his works.

I read the first book in the Galactic Center saga and it was awful. The novel was originally a fixup of a short story and it very much shows. The Icarus artifact is never tied into the rest of the plot and is just used as a way to get the book started. Biological mysticism is involved later on in the story. Oh, and the last third of the novel reads like an Ancient Aliens episode with an extra helping of bad. Suffice to say I won't be reading him again except maybe as his collaborative works with other authors (which seem to be better novels overall).

In short: :banghead:
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

As for the Killer B's, I can definitely recommend Bear and Brin. Also Baxter. Egan's pretty good too.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timescape is his most acclaimed story, so I assume if he has a good one, it'd be it.

And Killer Bs, heh, I don't think I've heard that term before :)
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

ZOmegaZ wrote:As for the Killer B's, I can definitely recommend Bear and Brin. Also Baxter. Egan's pretty good too.
I used to be a fan of Baxter, not really anymore. Though Bear and Brin seem right up my alley. I read Diaspora by Greg Egan and I loved it. I'm going to try reading some of his other works. Maybe not the later stuff though, I heard they read too much like textbooks.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I do recommend Brin.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I am currently reading Shiva Descending. Not too bad considering it is over 36 years old. He has a very pessimistic view of how humankind would react when finding out a multi billion ton asteroid is heading their way.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

In addition to being a good writer, Brin's just an awesome guy. When I asked for his thoughts on my Foundation sequel fan fiction, he read the whole damned thing and gave me pages of feedback! Who does that?

Naturally I've bought most of his works since then...