Human and machine resilience toward radiation

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Human and machine resilience toward radiation

Post by gigabytelord »

I've Recently found this article and it made me wonder about not only the long term survival of humans but also the machines that will keep us alive should we ever venture forth into deep space.
The machines is this article were clearly built specifically to withstand the immense radiation of such an environment but it clearly wasn't enough to keep them functioning.
In short: What are the realistic chances of extra solar settlement. How much will the radiation factor play in this possible colonization and what are our current best technological defenses against radiation hazards and how might we see these defenses advance in the near future. The current limitation to sub-light travel notwithstanding.

Edited for clarity.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Human and machine resilience toward radiation

Post by Broomstick »

Our current best defenses against radiation such as we would encounter in deep space, or, for example, a Mars colony is shielding - putting stuff between us and the radiation. Which, actually, is a reason to a live on a planet instead of a space station. You can burrow into a planet and have a radiation resistant hidey-hole to live in or take shelter during periods of increased radiation (solar ejection events, etc.) With space ships or space habitats you'd have to to put "stuff" between you and the outside, more so than just what is needed to keep atmosphere and pressure.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

One reason, IIRC, for using asteroids as a way to travel through space-- tunnel into them and use the raw asteroid matter as shielding.

And then there's the ship Neal Stephenson depicted in Anathem-- though I don't think that particular concept was original to him but I could be wrong-- which was basically a giant cylinder of rubble held together by chicken wire. Cheap and effective.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Also a spaceship can afford to be redundant. With 500 versions of the main computer software doing circular crosschecks a lot of the radiation damage can be repaired as you go along, exactly the same way as our DNA but less likely to take damage and more likely to correctly repair it.

DNA biochemistry takes place in an environment with a huge amount of reacants after all.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee