How would you handle the situation on LV-426 from Aliens?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: How would you handle the situation on LV-426 from Aliens?

Post by Purple »

One thing to consider is that assuming a drone can't become a queen it would still not have needed to carry a lot of eggs or colonists back and forth. Assuming queens are born as queens the alien would only need to ensure the one "queen egg" gets a host. It can take over from there.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

biostem wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:If you watch some of the deleted scenes from ALIEN; the members of the Nostromo's crew that weren't outright killed, were being converted somehow to more eggs. That's clearly non-canon given how this ability was never shown again.

Perhaps there is a component to the ALIEN life cycle that is a semi complex IF/OR/THEN logic tree concerning the danger to the Alien, whether there's already a Queen nearby, and sufficient prey to parasitize that triggers whether a drone becomes a Queen
Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that the first alien that was born on LV-426 simply returned to the Space Jockey ship to get more eggs, or just brought additional colonists there to be face-hugged?
From the novelization (read MKSheppard's quotes), it seems Weyland-Yutani sent someone to the alien ship's location to recover the eggs and bring them to the colony. Feel free to guess what explanation they gave to those who were to transport the eggs- for scientific study?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Sidewinder wrote:From the novelization (read MKSheppard's quotes), it seems Weyland-Yutani sent someone to the alien ship's location to recover the eggs and bring them to the colony. Feel free to guess what explanation they gave to those who were to transport the eggs- for scientific study?
It could be for immediate scientific study by the Colony, without any direction from higher ups -- after Russ Jorden got facehugged; he would have been taken to Hadley's Hope's medcenter; and they would have sent a team back to the grid square to:

A.) Verify what the hell is there (the family is going to be hysterical and not very helpful in describing what was there).

B.) get extra samples of alien eggs for experimentation to use in trying to remove the facehugger from Russ Jorden -- for one, if you have a facehugger not attached to someone, you can poke it to find something to neutralize it's acidic blood -- something not possible with the one attached to Russ Jorden.

Now; what strikes me about the whole thing is that immediately after Russ got Facehuggered; there would have been signals sent out from Hadley's Hope to higher command during the initial stage of infestation before they did enough damage to the complex to damage the transmitter ; but those messages apparently got memory holed -- possibly by Burke, Carter J.

I've said it before; but I think that Weyland-Yutani's actions in ALIENS were the result of one Burke, Carter J, rather than any organized evil conspiracy to find aliens.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Weyland-Yutani is not evil in ALIENS.

Consider the evidence:

The Weyland-Yutani execs who interviewed Ripley and stood in for W-Y at the ICC hearing were genuinely surprised to hear her story; and when Ripley suggested sending a ship to LV-426 to check out her story; they were like:

"No need to -- we've had a colony there for the last 20 years, and they've reported nothing out of the unusual in all that time."

If Weyland-Yutani was truly evil all along; why would they require Ripley to show up and explain everything to them? They would have simply sent a second ship after the Nostromo disappeared to investigate the beacon.

Instead, they waited 37 years before setting up a colony on LV-426, and then waited a further 20 years before seeking out the crashed ship.

This sequence of events suggests to me that:

The Company Directive that sent the Nostromo to LV-426 was NOT authorized by Weyland-Yutani's board of directors or anything. It was being done independently by an executive who was sufficiently powerful enough to also have the regular Science Officer on the Nostromo replaced with Ash.

Thus when the Nostromo disappeared, the exec shit a brick and destroyed all the logs and evidence of him sending the Nostromo to check out the place; because he certainly wasn't going to be fired or even held liable for the loss of a M-class star freighter with all crew and cargo.

So the Nostromo gets written off as a mystery of space.

Enter Ripley 57 years later; and Burke is sufficiently intrigued by her story that he tries to make a play for the upper executive ranks using this information as a springboard.

(Or it could very well be that Burke's "Rabbi" in the executive ranks was the original executive from ALIEN, thus he's willing to believe Ripley's story)

In one of the key moments of ALIENS, Ripley confronts Burke with:

"I just checked the colony log, directive dated 6/12/79, signed Burke, Carter J. You sent them out there and you didn't even warn them! Why didn't you warn them, Burke?"

If Weyland-Yutani was truly evil and behind the whole thing, it wouldn't be signed "Burke, Carter J.", it would be signed by the head of the Bio-Weapons division and initialed with five other division heads; rather than a mid-grade executive.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

MKSheppard wrote:Weyland-Yutani is not evil in ALIENS.

Consider the evidence:

The Weyland-Yutani execs who interviewed Ripley and stood in for W-Y at the ICC hearing were genuinely surprised to hear her story; and when Ripley suggested sending a ship to LV-426 to check out her story; they were like:

"No need to -- we've had a colony there for the last 20 years, and they've reported nothing out of the unusual in all that time."

If Weyland-Yutani was truly evil all along; why would they require Ripley to show up and explain everything to them? They would have simply sent a second ship after the Nostromo disappeared to investigate the beacon.

Instead, they waited 37 years before setting up a colony on LV-426, and then waited a further 20 years before seeking out the crashed ship.

This sequence of events suggests to me that:

The Company Directive that sent the Nostromo to LV-426 was NOT authorized by Weyland-Yutani's board of directors or anything. It was being done independently by an executive who was sufficiently powerful enough to also have the regular Science Officer on the Nostromo replaced with Ash.

Thus when the Nostromo disappeared, the exec shit a brick and destroyed all the logs and evidence of him sending the Nostromo to check out the place; because he certainly wasn't going to be fired or even held liable for the loss of a M-class star freighter with all crew and cargo.

So the Nostromo gets written off as a mystery of space.

Enter Ripley 57 years later; and Burke is sufficiently intrigued by her story that he tries to make a play for the upper executive ranks using this information as a springboard.

(Or it could very well be that Burke's "Rabbi" in the executive ranks was the original executive from ALIEN, thus he's willing to believe Ripley's story)

In one of the key moments of ALIENS, Ripley confronts Burke with:

"I just checked the colony log, directive dated 6/12/79, signed Burke, Carter J. You sent them out there and you didn't even warn them! Why didn't you warn them, Burke?"

If Weyland-Yutani was truly evil and behind the whole thing, it wouldn't be signed "Burke, Carter J.", it would be signed by the head of the Bio-Weapons division and initialed with five other division heads; rather than a mid-grade executive.
This chain of events is supported in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual, with the investigators specifically stating the executive whose decisions doomed the Nostromo, chose to "cover up" instead of "follow up."
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I'd also like to point out that the people who were in-the-know about the xenomorphs may have been separate from those who, for instance, conducted the hearing or directly setup the colony. Imagine a scenario where one of the people who did know about the aliens arranged it so LV-426 would be colonized, but specifically chose a spot a sufficient distance from the Space Jockey ship so that a random colonist would be unlikely to happen upon the crash. I'd also imagine that even those who arranged things for Burke weren't given the whole story.