How would you handle the situation on LV-426 from Aliens?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

biostem
Jedi Master

How would you handle the situation on LV-426 from Aliens?

Post by biostem »

In this scenario, you find yourself waking up from cryo-sleep, in the role of Lieutenant Gorman from the movie Aliens. You have the squad of Colonial Marines and their equipment at your disposal, but the following restrictions apply:

1. You must carry out the colonist rescue mission/investigation.
2. No one will believe you, (at least not initially), if you try to prematurely detain/restrain Burke for him planning to smuggle in Aliens by impregnating Ripley and Newt.
3. You cannot just nuke the site/colony and call it a day.
4. You cannot simply bombard the facility - you must send in a team to investigate and determine if there are any survivors, and attempt a rescue thereof.
5. You cannot reliably count on the marines breaking/freaking out in the specific way or order that they do in the movie.
6. You cannot wait for reinforcements - you must conduct the OP with what is shown in the film.
7. You cannot spend large amounts of time restructuring the facility or constructing new equipment - modifications of existing material are ok, but not wholesale (re)builds.

So, given these limitations, (and trying to stick to the spirit of the scenario), how do you proceed?
biostem
Jedi Master

Re: How would you handle the situation on LV-426 from Aliens?

Post by biostem »

For my part, the biggest change I'd make would be to brief the marines on the fusion reactor the hive is in, and load them up with *only* flame units and shotguns, (if there are more available than just the one Hicks had). I'd also probably have them lead off by "sanitizing" the hive as they advance - perhaps rolling in some variant of flashbangs or other explosive that wouldn't cause the rupture that the exploding AP ammo did. I wonder if they carry non-explosive/non-AP rounds with them? Maybe they could use flamers and pistols...
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

The drop ship does not 'Dust off' and then go park some where allowing the co-pilot to walk outside to take a wizz.

It returns to the Sulaco and awaits being called upon.

Ideally Bishop remains on the Drop ship. Is returned to the Sulaco with the pilots and the three await being called down to give fire support/retrieve the combat truck. Bishop flying the second drop ship.

Heck, even if Bishop can't shoot the guns... the first drop ship can stay in the air and give covering fire as Bishop picks up the truck when needed.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Dass.Kapital wrote:The drop ship does not 'Dust off' and then go park some where allowing the co-pilot to walk outside to take a wizz.

It returns to the Sulaco and awaits being called upon.
That is certainly the most important thing to do differently. It's easy to justify for the sake of maintaining a safe line of retreat, does not compromise the mission, and it saves a lot of lives.

The next most important thing is to avoid walking into the ambush underneath the fusion reactor. If Gorman was negligent in ordering his squad to continue into an obvious tactical blunder then that makes the job a lot easier - just stay where you can take advantage of your firepower and your armoured vehicle and try to contact the colonists by radio or internal comms. Otherwise it might be avoided by ordering the squad to do something that would stir up the nest before they're in the middle of it - using flashbangs as they advance, for instance.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Or use flamethrowers to clear out the nest material as they advance.

Taking the dropship up to the ship means that it's going to have an awful long lag time between calling for it and it arriving. Per Bishop later in the movie, it's fifty minutes of flight time between the Sulaco and the planet surface. Dusting off and staying local keeps the dropship within distance to actually help if necessary. Instead of dusting off to the ship, maybe leave a fire team to guard it? Or raise the ramp and stay inside instead of wandering off?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

For a start, I'd leave someone up on the fucking mothership so that if we need to call down the second shuttle, their'll be someone up their to fly it down and we won't have to do it remotely.

By the way, can we hail the mothership from the surface with our standard equipment? I can't recall. If not, giving orders to come down with the second shuttle and check on us if we don't come back or signal in x amount of time sounds good. As does making some very pointed recommendations about the quality of our equipment in my report when we get home.

Second, I send my team to the reactor first rather than the colony. They found at least one person alive (but already infected) as it was, as I recall. Their is just a slim chance that if I get their quickly enough I might find someone I can save.

Third, I emphasize that we need to be alert for ambushes.

Fourth, I listen to everything Ripley says and tell my men to do the same.

Fifth, every damn thing biostem said.

One question: Do we have the same knowledge/experience Gorman would in this scenario? Because I know jack about Colonial Marine regulations and tech. (and for that matter, jack about how to operate a fire arm).

If not, I leave as much as possible to my next-ranking subordinate and Ripley, stay safely away from the front line, and let the experts do their job unless they're doing something blatantly unethical, illegal, or incompetent.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Another thing... I keep a close eye on Burke.

In fact...

I'm not sure just how much authority I have when it comes to him, but if I can contrive a reason to keep him on the mothership (with one of my men keeping a discreet eye on him), that might be for the best.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Terralthra wrote:Taking the dropship up to the ship means that it's going to have an awful long lag time between calling for it and it arriving. Per Bishop later in the movie, it's fifty minutes of flight time between the Sulaco and the planet surface.
That's a fair point, but 50 minutes after you call for a pickup from inside your mobile, heavily armed and armoured vehicle is a lot safer than 50 minutes after Bishop crawls to the relay while you're holed up inside a civilian building with only whatever gear you salvaged from the crash. You wouldn't even need to stand and fight - the APC's faster than the aliens are, so you could just drive 50 miles away and get picked up there.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Another thing... I keep a close eye on Burke.

In fact...

I'm not sure just how much authority I have when it comes to him, but if I can contrive a reason to keep him on the mothership (with one of my men keeping a discreet eye on him), that might be for the best.
One nice thing about keeping the APC intact is that it negates the need to return to the main colony building, which means that Burke loses his chance to smuggle the chestburster embryos back to Earth. Even if you do nothing else, that reduces the likelihood that he'll stab you in the back.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I almost want him to try something, since I know he's a bastard and it'll give me a pretext to arrest him. But probably not worth risking the mission to arrange. If it happens, it happens.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

The Romulan Republic wrote:By the way, can we hail the mothership from the surface with our standard equipment? I can't recall. If not, giving orders to come down with the second shuttle and check on us if we don't come back or signal in x amount of time sounds good. As does making some very pointed recommendations about the quality of our equipment in my report when we get home.
Transmitter is on the APC. Keep that intact, all is well.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Second, I send my team to the reactor first rather than the colony. They found at least one person alive (but already infected) as it was, as I recall. Their is just a slim chance that if I get their quickly enough I might find someone I can save.
They don't know the colonists are in the reactor until they get into the facility and can scan for their locator beacons using the equipment in the main building. Having that knowledge ahead of time seems against the point of the question.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Third, I emphasize that we need to be alert for ambushes.
You're not wrong, but sending them into the reactor without having a plan for dealing with the nest material that hides the drones is a problem. You either need to clear the nest ahead of you as you advance (potentially killing the colonists you're there to save), or have a fire plan that deals with complete envelopment by faster, bigger, stronger adversaries (good luck).
The Romulan Republic wrote:One question: Do we have the same knowledge/experience Gorman would in this scenario? Because I know jack about Colonial Marine regulations and tech. (and for that matter, jack about how to operate a fire arm).

If not, I leave as much as possible to my next-ranking subordinate and Ripley, stay safely away from the front line, and let the experts do their job unless they're doing something blatantly unethical, illegal, or incompetent.
It's blatantly obvious in the movie that Gorman is an incompetent CO, pointedly depicted as noobish and making major tactical errors. He declares the building secure when it's not, he sends all the marines into the reactor building - both squads - then when he finds out that their primary firearm can't be used, doesn't immediately pull them out to rearm. The marines themselves roll their eyes at him and comment to each other that he's making major mistakes.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Terralthra wrote:Transmitter is on the APC. Keep that intact, all is well.
Excellent.
They don't know the colonists are in the reactor until they get into the facility and can scan for their locator beacons using the equipment in the main building. Having that knowledge ahead of time seems against the point of the question.
Granted.

However, I'm going to assume until told otherwise that I retain my real world knowledge.

If I need to justify my actions in-universe, I say that we need to secure the reactor first because of the risk of malfunction/meltdown. It has, after all, been left unattended for some time.
You're not wrong, but sending them into the reactor without having a plan for dealing with the nest material that hides the drones is a problem. You either need to clear the nest ahead of you as you advance (potentially killing the colonists you're there to save), or have a fire plan that deals with complete envelopment by faster, bigger, stronger adversaries (good luck).
I see the problem.

I don't know if I'll be able to entirely eliminate the risk of unintentional collateral damage, but that's war.
It's blatantly obvious in the movie that Gorman is an incompetent CO, pointedly depicted as noobish and making major tactical errors. He declares the building secure when it's not, he sends all the marines in, then when he finds out that their primary firearm can't be used, doesn't immediately pull them out to rearm. The marines themselves roll their eyes at him and comment to each other that he's making major mistakes.
Well, that should help. :lol:

Edit: The numbers I've got suck. Ideally I'd split my force and secure the reactor and colony simultaneously. But as it is, I don't think I want to send any fewer men than I can help into that fucking nest.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I'm seeing some excellent points here! Just keep in mind that while *you* may know what's going to happen or where stuff is, the soldiers under your command, as well as Ripley, Newt, and Burke, only learn things as they unfold - jump too many steps or fail to defend your actions, and you may find yourself relieved of command.

I wonder what the endurance of the dropship is - maybe it could stay airborne?

I'd also have a team prep a safe area - perhaps near the landing pad, and make generous use of those sentry guns, (they were able to recover 4 from the crashed dropship, so figure there'd be more available if said crash is prevented).

I wonder how difficult it would be to simply bring down the reactor, go in with full armament, then worry about damage to the structure later.

I'd also override Burke's desire to preserve the facehuggers that were removed from patients and order their immediate destruction - and make sure I was there to personally witness it. Weyland Yutani can take the carcasses if they want.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

biostem wrote:I'm seeing some excellent points here! Just keep in mind that while *you* may know what's going to happen or where stuff is, the soldiers under your command, as well as Ripley, Newt, and Burke, only learn things as they unfold - jump too many steps or fail to defend your actions, and you may find yourself relieved of command.
Fortunately, the necessary changes would make us less likely to be relieved of command. Taking the aliens seriously as a threat is something Ripley would approve of, and not ordering the marines under our command to walk barely armed into an alien-infested nuclear reactor is going to sit better with them.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Have Bishop make the Sulaco do a complete survey sweep of the planet with its on board equipment, same with the dropships. I want to know the area before I get there. Also, if we run into the Space Jockey's ship, it gives me reason to trust Ripley, and follow every word she says. Once the alien ship is spotted, I point it out in a briefing, thus proving that there is a sizable chance that Ripley is 100 percent right. This will make the marines more cautious, and know that this isn't a milk run.

Equip both dropships with as much fort building equipment as possible, and have them drop off the supplies in the deemed Landing zone, a mile away from the colony, on high ground, with presumably flat ground for good line of sight.

In addition to making sure the marines are properly armed, have the marines establish the Landing Zone with sentry guns and existing walls/sangbags before the APC leaves, along with the second squad guarding the LZ. We make sure that the LZ is far away from any existing infrastructure like sewer lines or caves that the aliens might sneak through. We're in no hurry to save the colonists, as we went into cryosleep and ate breakfast before even getting here, so time is no rush. That way, if things do get hot quickly, we can have the dropship arrive quickly, and the pilot can take the piss they did in the film without being ambushed, as the sentry guns will shoot up anything trying to sneak up on board. If I have to, I will have Hudson on latrine duty.

This also gives us a good location to screen colonists for medical evaluation if we find any, to make sure they aren't already infected.

Once the LZ's established, send Bishop back up with the second dropship, in case we do lose the first one somehow.

Before initial drop, have all troops wear armored sleeves. or at least cloth sleeves. LV-426 isn't a humid or particularly hot planet, and since Ripley is warning us of acid blood/spit, having their arms covered makes sense, and I don't really care how cool it makes them look.

This will be seen as a lot of extra work, but they enlisted, and know that this could be a problem, so its better safe than sorry.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

First I would establish a secure landing zone with sentry guns and a few marines left behind. The drop ship remaining on the surface will allow for quick evac but we cannot allow any bugs to get on board while the marines are doing their sweep. I would still have them go through the colony building first since the evidence found there helps convince the marines that Ripley is actually telling the truth. Plus, have to rescue Newt too. Once that's done, I would "suggest" that we sweep the other buildings in the complex starting with the atmosphere processor. Hopefully that would give us enough time to rescue that last colonist and get the alien removed before it hatches. Then once we see there are no other obvious survivors, get the hell out of there and nuke the place.

When entering the processor, I would make sure that the marines are fully armed. Despite the protests of Ripley and Burke, I would not disarm them. I would simply inform them of the danger and ask them to check their fire (no spraying wildly like Vasquez did in the beginning). At the first sign of any movement, I would pull them out. Being fully armed should make it easier for them to retreat than in the film.

By covering our exits and not doing anything unwise (such as sending unarmed troops into an area you know is hostile), that would eliminate most of the fallout that happens in the rest of the movie.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

As for the ammo. Check before landing if there is any non explosive version of the pulse rifle ammo on the drop ship or sulaco. (Or non-explosive ammo firing rifles. IMFB shows there were M16s/SA80s on the Sulaco they could have used if nothing else. Best of both worlds there. Less snafau potential than the incerators and less fusion generator explodey than the pulse rifles.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

biostem wrote:
So, given these limitations, (and trying to stick to the spirit of the scenario), how do you proceed?
First, Instruct the Dropship to be on orbital standby (ahead of deployment make sure everyone takes a piss break.) This should negate the alien in drop ship thing

Second, Don't have the ammo confiscated, before the squad enters the hive, instruct Apone to withdraw immediately if hostiles encountered because of poor combat quarters. Order Evac when the squad finds the chestburster.

Third, Order the dropship down from orbital holding for a Hot extraction, RTB to the Sulaco. Burke would assert Weyland-Yutani's desire to leave the colony intact...so request reinforcements from Colonial Command, and establish infestation/biohazard protocols (ie. "Bug Hunt", given the Marines banter prior to drop this seems to be their main mission profile.) Colonial Command would be informed that LV-426 is infested with approximately 150 Xenomorphs (of the highest threat/lethality category the USCM has in place for "bug hunting") and that my squad has insufficient manpower to purge infestation without collateral. The Sulaco would more than likely then be ordered to remain in orbit establishing a quarantine zone around LV-426 until reinforcements arrive (likely be some time, possibly a platoon strength of specialists...with Wey-Yu bio-research team in tow.)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

FedRebel wrote:
biostem wrote:
First, Instruct the Dropship to be on orbital standby (ahead of deployment make sure everyone takes a piss break.) This should negate the alien in drop ship thing

Second, Don't have the ammo confiscated, before the squad enters the hive, instruct Apone to withdraw immediately if hostiles encountered because of poor combat quarters. Order Evac when the squad finds the chestburster.

Third, Order the dropship down from orbital holding for a Hot extraction, RTB to the Sulaco. Burke would assert Weyland-Yutani's desire to leave the colony intact...so request reinforcements from Colonial Command, and establish infestation/biohazard protocols (ie. "Bug Hunt", given the Marines banter prior to drop this seems to be their main mission profile.) Colonial Command would be informed that LV-426 is infested with approximately 150 Xenomorphs (of the highest threat/lethality category the USCM has in place for "bug hunting") and that my squad has insufficient manpower to purge infestation without collateral. The Sulaco would more than likely then be ordered to remain in orbit establishing a quarantine zone around LV-426 until reinforcements arrive (likely be some time, possibly a platoon strength of specialists...with Wey-Yu bio-research team in tow.)
Are you okay with Weyland Yutani obtaining Xenomorphs as biological weapons? Because inviting a WY research team will probably cause that to happen.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Are you okay with Weyland Yutani obtaining Xenomorphs as biological weapons? Because inviting a WY research team will probably cause that to happen.
Ya, no f-ing way I'd let the colony / Space Jockey ship survive.

After doing the previous posters suggestions, I'd head back into orbit and nuke both of them - after thoroughly checking everyone and the drop ships to make sure we don't bring back any nasty surprises. With any luck once Weylnad-Yutani realises that they won't be getting any specimens, they'll switch tactics and praise my crew for destroying the evil alien infestation rather than launch a lawsuit over the destruction of the colony.

Burke is the biggest problem here because he clearly wouldn't hesitate to kill off the crew and/or sabotage things in order to obtain specimens. I'd have to keep a very close eye on him the entire time. Although I can't outright accuse him of anything, I'm sure I could get Ripley to help in this regard because she never really trusted him either. I could say something along the lines of "I heard your story about the Nostromo and I want you to keep a close eye on Burke, just in case."

Oh and when the mission is over, I'm making sure that Burke goes into cyrosleep before I do. To throw off suspicion he'll go to sleep with the majority of the crew, then the remainder and I would check the entire ship. Especially the cyrochambers because I wouldn't put it past that bastard to sabotage them if he felt the need to. Plus the computer would be thoroughly checked, as the last thing I want is to be sleeping while it contains nasty orders, such as "when Weyland-Yutani sends the appropriate signal, kill the crew and/or blow up the ship." If that's the case I'd try and reprogram it if I can, disconnect it if I can't. In the ladder event hopefully the ship is capable of being piloted / programmed manually. Plus, I'd make sure that Burke wakes up after the rest of the crew. If anyone asks, I'd say it was for his safety.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

On top of what the others have said, shut down the atmpshere processor. Ripley clearly expected to be able to do it and Bishop didn't say 'we can't', he said the crash caused too much damage. That way even if the Marines DO have to go in with the movie armament for some reason, it should be a lot less of a problem.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The first thing I would do is take Burke to one side (along with a couple of trusted soldiers) and say in no uncertain terms. "Listen. I don't like this whole situation. And frankly if these soldiers get fragged it's all in the line of duty. But if something happens to you WY is going to have my head. So you are going to sit pretty here until we can make sure there that the guys down there don't have a reactor leak or anything similarly nasty." The logic behind this? It's a way of putting him in protective custody without it looking suspicious.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Ok. So we get to the colony, and find Newt. While there, not only do I draw up the blueprints, but I ask Ripley to go through the communications logs before she did in the film, and report back to me.

We find the locator beacons, AND the directive from Burke, Carter J. sending a survey team out to look at the site of the crashed spaceship without warning them of the potential danger.

He is in chains right the fuck there. Now, with Bishop there, boyscout that he is, I cannot simply execute him which I would really like to do. However, I get a confession from him (Bishop can play good cop) on video. Because fuck that guy.

The drop ship keeps its ramp closed except for loading and unloading of passengers, and an armed guard (I am thinking Frost, because why not) is on the door

We find Newt. YAY! NEWT!

I talk to Ripley about why all those locator beacons might be in the same place, after seeing all the barricades and noting the presence of living face huggers in the medbay. She will probably tell me about what happened to Dallas. Cocooned. We cannot save them.

Now, we have a new fucking mission.

Those living face huggers? They dead. Not just dead, but preserved. Not in cryo, but in formalin, formaldehyde, embalming fluid, I dont fucking care. I want proof these things are real without giving WY something to study and weaponize because at that point I remember "all other priorities rescinded, crew expendable" from the mission briefing.

I study the colony schematics. I have to attempt a rescue, but I notice the reactor housing. OK. Send everyone in with big fuck-off flame weapons and thermobaric grenades. They enter the Hive. Slowly. Carefully. I keep one squad just outside to cover a retreat, and bring the APC as close as I can to their exit point. They will place sentry guns along their exit route when they go in and activate them if and when they retreat to cover their escape.

If they make contact, their orders are to fall back in as good order as they can.

When they get out (hopefully with everyone still alive) without [civilian] survivors, we hop on the transport ship, leave, and get back on the Sulaco.

At which point we nuke the colony and the crashed ship from orbit, so as to be sure. If we have enough nukes, we saturaion bomb the god damned planetary surface or as much of it as our ship's armament will allow. It has other weapons, mass drivers or some shit. We use those too.

Oh, and I encourage Hicks and Ripley to see eachother socially, because that needs to be a thing.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Has xenomorph blood been portrayed as being able to melt glass? If not, I wonder if they could jury rig some form of tempered glass riot shield thingies - should help with some of the splash-back from close quarters encounters.

Do you think there'd be any point in sending down a powerloader or two to aid in the combat?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Has xenomorph blood been portrayed as being able to melt glass? If not, I wonder if they could jury rig some form of tempered glass riot shield thingies - should help with some of the splash-back from close quarters encounters.
It's shown to be pretty potent...it can melt through whatever the stuff is that makes up spacesuit helmets, but I don't think they've ever been seen melting through glass itself. An acid-resistant splash shield might not be a bad idea.
Do you think there'd be any point in sending down a powerloader or two to aid in the combat?
Against the smaller Xeno warriors they would not be as useful as they were against the Queen, who was much bulkier. Plus they may not even fit inside the hive. I'd bring down more sentry guns, tbh.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

biostem wrote:Do you think there'd be any point in sending down a powerloader or two to aid in the combat?
"Send in the forklifts!" does not strike me as a winning strategy.