Sci-Fi's The Expanse (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Sci-Fi's The Expanse (spoilers)

Post by Lord Revan »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Batman wrote:Don't know the books but if there was german in the one spoken in the series I sure as hell missed it.
Its in the books for certain. Pretty sure I caught a word or two in the first episode as well, but I could be mistaken.
it's possible the pronouciation was butchered so badly that it sounded sort of like german to non-german speakers but not to actual native speakers.

That generally happens with finnish if the actors in question aren't finns themselves, if you listen carefully you sort of see the connection but it's not recognizeble as finnish to us native speakers.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Lord Revan wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Batman wrote:Don't know the books but if there was german in the one spoken in the series I sure as hell missed it.
Its in the books for certain. Pretty sure I caught a word or two in the first episode as well, but I could be mistaken.
it's possible the pronouciation was butchered so badly that it sounded sort of like german to non-german speakers but not to actual native speakers.

That generally happens with finnish if the actors in question aren't finns themselves, if you listen carefully you sort of see the connection but it's not recognizeble as finnish to us native speakers.
It is possible. Or it could have been Dutch or Afrikaans. Either way it was heavily accented. I do speak some german, but am by no means fluent.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Miller's firing (the how of it, not that it happened) marks a point of departure from the books that doubles down on an earlier one. Another event in this episode is an additional departure that looks slated to speed up the timetable for the completion of the Book 1 story arc.

Things should start moving very fast and causing some serious WTFs if you haven't read the books.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

FireNexus wrote:Miller's firing (the how of it, not that it happened) marks a point of departure from the books that doubles down on an earlier one. Another event in this episode is an additional departure that looks slated to speed up the timetable for the completion of the Book 1 story arc.

Things should start moving very fast and causing some serious WTFs if you haven't read the books.
I disagree. The show's been moving slower than the books, doing a lot of showing instead of telling (which I approve of) and I'm expecting this season to close out around Eros.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Parallax wrote:On an entirely different subject...
The Belter accent is weird. What are they going for? South African mixed with something?
They're going for a Creole, a natural language which evolves from an environment in which different language communities are forced into tight interaction. A pidgin naturally develops to facilitate communication, and when children are raised speaking said pidgin, they naturalize the grammatical structures into a reasonably harmonious whole, which is the creole. It's entirely in line with what we'd expect to see if a medium-sized group of people from all over the map, linguistically speaking, were working the Belt without the ability to linguistically segregate.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Looks like Eros starts next episode.

All the rest? Too long.
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

Terralthra wrote: They're going for a Creole, a natural language which evolves from an environment in which different language communities are forced into tight interaction. A pidgin naturally develops to facilitate communication, and when children are raised speaking said pidgin, they naturalize the grammatical structures into a reasonably harmonious whole, which is the creole. It's entirely in line with what we'd expect to see if a medium-sized group of people from all over the map, linguistically speaking, were working the Belt without the ability to linguistically segregate.
I think Parallax was talking about the actual accent that some Belters have when speaking standard English, rather than Belter Creole. You hear it most noticeably from 'Gaunt Belter', the OPA campaigner introduced in the first episode, and from Anderson Dawes.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This show has quickly managed to become my favorite current show on TV. The acting especially is very convincing - impressive since I did not know anybody from the cast before.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Thanas wrote:This show has quickly managed to become my favorite current show on TV. The acting especially is very convincing - impressive since I did not know anybody from the cast before.
Have to agree about being pleasantly surprised by such an unknown cast. The only person I recognized at all was the voice of Shohreh Aghdashloo as the quarian Admiral Raan in Mass Effect.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote:This show has quickly managed to become my favorite current show on TV. The acting especially is very convincing - impressive since I did not know anybody from the cast before.
Really? The crew of the Rocinante weren't known to me but I'm familiar with Thomas Jane's work and they've got some first rate people like Jared Harris and Chad Coleman (aka "Cutty" Wise from the Wire) in major supporting roles. You're right about the quality of the acting. Seeing Jane and Harris verbally spare is beautiful. The closest thing to a weak point is the guy playing Holden.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

To be honest I did not recognize Chad Coleman and Harris there. Must have been a long time since I saw them....
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, that was a good finale. Looking forward to next season.
------------
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I think it'd be a good idea if they change the outfits for the mysterious baddie troops next season. They worked in the dim lighting of the Donnager, but on Eros they looked kind of ridiculous. Nothing like armor at all.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

You ever play the most recent Deus Ex, Human Revolution? The spy guy with the robot eye is the guy who voices Adam Jensen. Doing voice work doesn't really give a measure of someones acting ability but you might atleast know him from that.

Anyway, a very enjoyable show. Got a good mystery going that they are actually answering questions to while still keeping some in reserve. All the actors are fine in their roles and are fairly likable. Even Amos, despite being a bit of an asshole, is strangely likable.

I'm just wondering whats up with the visions or hallucinations Julie and the Punisher had. Her seeing him and the bird as she was dying presumably while he was in her apartment looking at the bird was strange. An effect of the blue goo stuff? His own seeing her was probably the effects of the radiation and possibly the blue goo messing with his head. I don't recall if he was injected or not.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No, I stayed very far away from Deus Ex
------------
------------
My LPs
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

To anyone who has seen both, now that spoilers work again, where was the ending relative to the book?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

DO NOT USE QUOTE TAGS WHEN REPLYING.
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The ending is about half way through the first book, as I predicted. ;) The show is less fast paced than the books and it does a lot of showing, not telling to show us the setting as well as bringing in Christjen, who doesn't show up until the second book to show the Earth side of the politics.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

This series is far better than I thought it would be, I read the books before the series was announced and predicted that that I would be disappointed - So happy that I wasn't.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Finally finished watching the series "On Demand". I liked it. Many of the confusing things were unknotted. But was anyone else confused about what was going on while watching season 1? I'm chalking it up to a lot of different factions introduced at once. The font can also be improved, sure you can go back and reread the name tags. By the end however you realise there are bigger players besides Earth, Mars and the OPA.

Where did season 1 leave off? Is it worth reading the novels and getting ahead of 2017's Season 2?
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Season 1 left off about 2/3 through book one, but took a couple of plot elements from later in that book and near the end of book 2. One of them was probably to establish more clearly than the books did what ship Julie was on and when, the other to either consolidate the players in the Eros incident and the focus of book two, or to clarify another point that was intended to be obvious all along.

Picking up the books won't be a bad idea, as the show manages to keep it interesting for book readers in my opinion, but it may not be necessary. If you're really into the show, I think the books are a little better, with more realistic depictions of zero G and its effects on humans than is practical for the show and easier to follow plotting.

I bought the books myself due to vey strong reviews, and they'd probably be recommended reading for decades even without the show.

All the rest? Too long.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

If you're really into the show, I think the books are a little better, with more realistic depictions of zero G and its effects on humans than is practical for the show and easier to follow plotting.
Certain characters are written a bit differently as well. Amos for example is somewhat less pseudosociopathic in the books and less antagonistic in general. He knows his moral compass is fucked, so defers it to Naomi because he cares that his moral compass is fucked.

Sort of guy you can absolutely trust with your kids. Great babysitter, even tempered and kind. But if someone tries to take said kids, he will happily impale the kidnappers on a pike as a warning, or catch bullets. Whatever is necessary.

The show does not get that across as well.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Alyrium Denryle wrote: The show does not get that across as well.
I disagree. The show gets it across quite well. One of the things that the show did was spend more time than the books on characterizations. Thankfully Jim Holden is more interesting than in the books although I miss Chrisjen's blue streaks.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote: The show does not get that across as well.
I disagree. The show gets it across quite well. One of the things that the show did was spend more time than the books on characterizations. Thankfully Jim Holden is more interesting than in the books although I miss Chrisjen's blue streaks.
I dont know, I think what comes across in the show might itself be better more vibrant characterization, but I think he comes off with a somewhat different personality. Maybe it is just because I have seen his behavior across several books

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

The impression I get of Amos from having viewed the show and not read the books is not that he thinks anything is wrong with his moral compass, but that he accepts he does not understand what is going as well as Naomi does, so he lets her make the calls.