Doctor Who 9x09 - Sleep No More (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rating

5 - Excellent
No votes
4 - Good
10%
3 - Average
40%
2 - Bad
25%
1 - Terrible
25%

Total votes: 20

Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Doctor Who 9x09 - Sleep No More (Spoilers)

Post by Bernkastel »

So, here is the thread for episode 9. So, if you have anything to say, you guys know the drill.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Doctor Who 9x09 - Sleep No More (Spoilers)

Post by Iroscato »

I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes in, the acting from the crew was SO BAD.

I'll be giving it another shot soon though.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I liked it, although I'm still not entirely sure how Sleep expected to spread.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

madd0ct0r wrote:I liked it, although I'm still not entirely sure how Sleep expected to spread.
Well from what I recall of the ending by us watching the show. Apparently the electromagnetic thingy needed to make you not need to sleep and triggered the carnivorous dust thing was encoded into the show we were watching.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Which makes sleep more dangerous then the thing. That's an impressive evil to still wander the galaxy
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

This episode was so terrible I didn't even bother making a thread for it last weekend.
The premise of it is utterly stupid, approaching 'the moon is an egg' level of idiocy. Eye muck is alive? What?
The crew were forgettable in their blandness and generally horrid acting. The problem was resolve in an extremely lazy way - self destruct and do a runner.

This episode contained lots of stupid, bad acting from the extras, absolutely nothing new or creative.
While it's not as bad as 'Love and Monsters' or that forest story, this was crap.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Except the problem was not resolved. The Morpheus Machines were superfluous by the end and all he needed was the signal he transmitted, meaning The Doctor lost.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That was pretty crap. And I really don't like the "found footage" format. It's just a pain, especially since you know, as soon as that Rasmusson bloke "dies," you know he isn't dead because he recorded the film. Urgh.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Couldn't really get past the monsters being eye muck - agree with Parallax, it's on a par with Kill the Moon stupidity.

The worst part though is the ending means that they will almost certainty return. Probably part of the finale.

Worst episode of the season for me. A shame as I generally like Reece Shearsmith as an actor. Gatiss's scripts, however, have always been fairly patchy.
What is WRONG with you people
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I didn't really care for it.

The carnivorous eye sand seemed like a reworking of the carnivorous dust from several years ago but not as good.

The end reveal was kind of cool though.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

After watching the repeat, I noticed the bit near the end where Rasmussen states "I lied about the infection method changing, it's always been the same". Unless he was lying when he said that... Image

I also realised the episode makes perfect sense if you consider it wasn't the product of a nerdy 21st Century screenwriter, but a nerdy 38th Century mad (and ain't going to take no more) scientist whose brains have been lightly munched on by his own creation. Image
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That was just pants on head stupid. Apart from the incredibly silly premise, Neptune's gravity is a whopping 14% bigger than Earth's. And who builds a space station that needs 'gravity shields' to stay up instead of just putting it in a stable orbit?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Scientific inaccuracy (as has already been pointed out here) and at times a style over substance approach, though that's typical for Doctor Who. As far as style goes, it was pretty good, apart from my general dislike for artificially sly meta stuff that thinks its clever.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Batman wrote:Neptune's gravity is a whopping 14% bigger than Earth's.
That's a bit of a misleading figure, actually. 1.14G is accurate, but that's "apparent surface" gravity — Neptune is about 17 Earth masses, but over 50 Earth volumes. This means the surface (it isn't, of course, it's just the cloud tops in the very, very deep atmosphere) is a lot further away from its centre than the Earth's surface is from its centre. Neptune's actual gravitational field is a lot more than 14% more intense and 14% deeper than Earth's.

(Anyone else out there remember Isaac Asimov's science articles? I'm sure I remember reading one of them that covered exactly this subject, and explained it a lot better than I just did.)
Batman wrote:And who builds a space station that needs 'gravity shields' to stay up instead of just putting it in a stable orbit?
The Who writers have never been immune to the lure of stuffing a bit more technobabble into their scripts. :wink:

(Including the fact that an object in an actual orbit doesn't immediately start falling when its engines fail...)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

SpottedKitty wrote:
(Including the fact that an object in an actual orbit doesn't immediately start falling when its engines fail...)
That does kinda indicate it wasn't actually in orbit. Or at least, not an unpowered one. I can't recall exactly, but couldn't we see clouds outside the windows, as if it were already inside Neptune's atmosphere? Maybe they were hoving in the eye of a storm of something, for some reason I can barely speculate about.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

SpottedKitty wrote: That's a bit of a misleading figure, actually. 1.14G is accurate, but that's "apparent surface" gravity — Neptune is about 17 Earth masses, but over 50 Earth volumes. This means the surface (it isn't, of course, it's just the cloud tops in the very, very deep atmosphere) is a lot further away from its centre than the Earth's surface is from its centre. Neptune's actual gravitational field is a lot more than 14% more intense and 14% deeper than Earth's.
So? The gravity acting on you in the space station is going to be 1.14G (slightly less depending on the height of the 'orbit'). Whatever things look like globally and/or deeper down the gravity well, local effects should have been negligible.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
SpottedKitty wrote: Including the fact that an object in an actual orbit doesn't immediately start falling when its engines fail...)
That does kinda indicate it wasn't actually in orbit. Or at least, not an unpowered one. I can't recall exactly, but couldn't we see clouds outside the windows, as if it were already inside Neptune's atmosphere? Maybe they were hoving in the eye of a storm of something, for some reason I can barely speculate about.
Nevermind that science madman explicitely said it was in orbit, we see an outside shot of the station as the rescue ship approaches, and it looks to be a pretty good distance away from the planet.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Oh yes, so we did. Still, he says it's on orbit, but as spottedkitty said, stuff in an actual orbit doesn't start falling when you shut down the engines.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Yeah. It's not like I commented on that or anything. Also, things absolutely can be in orbit and start falling down when engines (or whatever technobabble you use instead of them) fail, they're just not 'stable' orbits.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

True.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Batman wrote:Also, things absolutely can be in orbit and start falling down when engines (or whatever technobabble you use instead of them) fail, they're just not 'stable' orbits.
<nod> I've heard them called "powered orbits" — a well understood concept, but with today's technology, only possible in fiction. At least, until we have a high-thrust spacecraft engine that can run for hours, days, or months non-stop.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Does anyone else get a vibe of "trying to improve humanity is bad" from the episode ?

They could have done something interesting if the sleep machines were not functioning quite right, causing serious problems in people who were forced to use them. Even turning them into monsters could have worked. Instead the episode makes it quite clear that using them is completely optional by having the character with a rank of conscript be the one who refuses to use them. The only thing that is wrong with them is that sleep is how everyone fights against an enemy that only the Doctor knew about. For anyone who doesn't know about the sand monsters, the sleep machines look like a good deal.
SpottedKitty wrote:
Batman wrote:Also, things absolutely can be in orbit and start falling down when engines (or whatever technobabble you use instead of them) fail, they're just not 'stable' orbits.
<nod> I've heard them called "powered orbits" — a well understood concept, but with today's technology, only possible in fiction. At least, until we have a high-thrust spacecraft engine that can run for hours, days, or months non-stop.
Even if you could do a powered orbit, is there any good reason for doing one for that space station ?
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

bilateralrope wrote:Even if you could do a powered orbit, is there any good reason for doing one for that space station ?
Not really — the stories I remember seeing them used in referred to a need for very fast, very low orbits so that high-detail surveillance could be done a lot faster than it would using a natural unpowered orbit. And yes, these were fairly old stories, long before the current capabilities of space-based telescopes were really well thought through. Not much use with "modern" futuristic technology, doubly useless for a research space station that isn't even interested in looking at the planet. :roll: