Agents of SHIELD season three. [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How is the season thus far?

5 out of 5.
43%
4 out of 5.
43%
3 out of 5.
14%
2 out of 5.
No votes
1 out of 5.
No votes

Total votes: 14

FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: Agents of SHIELD season three. [Spoilers]

Post by FedRebel »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
And what the hell happened to Simmons? Looks like we'll see next week. Glad they're revisiting what happened to her while she was on another world.
Someone likely helped her survive, and she wants to try and rescue them

be neat, but I know , no way it could be budgeted...

It's, Red Skull.

The Tesseract has a Space/TIME thingy about it, so let's say from his perspective, he's 'just' been on the alien world a few months before Jemma showed up. Either Skull hid his appearance, or Jemma's blocking it out from the trauma.

Red Skull then escapes Shield custody and takes over Hydra, supplanting Ward.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't know. How big a star is Hugo Weaving? How much would he cost to get for an episode or two?

Though bringing back a major villain from the films like that is probably something they'd save for a film.

Edit: Another factor to consider when deciding weather to pay for a big guest star is how much the cost will be offset by the extra viewers he'd bring in.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Perhaps the worst part about the pact with Rosalind is how utterly worthless an ally she revealed herself to be from the start. Seriously, it took all of roughly two minutes for her to backstab Coulson. Does that sound like a viable long-term partnership?
Yet the latest episode gives the impression that Rosalind is willing to work with SHIELD. Yes, she is still holding back some information, but Coluson is holding back a lot more. Like the fact that the Inhuman community existed.

As for why the sudden change, probably because the pressure on her group to deliver some results that she talked about last episode has eased up.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Does Coulson really answer to anybody at this point? So far it really seems that SHIELD is some sort of odd militia that's answerable to no one, funded by no one, and does what it wants on the whims of whoever is controlling the place's funds(namely Coulson).

That's one thing that's been bugging me since the beginning of season 2, where's the money coming from? They have facilities that nobody but Fury apparently knew about, but this and the 'real SHIELD'(if they're not merged with Coulson's branch by now) both seem to be operating without any sort of oversight, jurisdiction, or anything to that affect.

Essentially, this means that poor Gutierrez was kidnapped, legally speaking. It'd also be good to know what is happening with that guy. Is he just eating meals in the null room and loafing about?

It is kind of annoying, mostly because it would be fairly easy to rationalise. Fury set up a whole bunch of independent SHIELD cells when he figured out what was going on and that would imply he arranged funding for them as well. I'd also be unsurprised if the old senior council (several of who's lives SHIELD saved when HYDRA agent/US congressman planned to kidnap and presumably execute them) are quietly redirecting some money to them as well.
Perhaps the worst part about the pact with Rosalind is how utterly worthless an ally she revealed herself to be from the start. Seriously, it took all of roughly two minutes for her to backstab Coulson. Does that sound like a viable long-term partnership?
Coulson clearly just infiltrated her chain of command and doesn't truus her in the slightest. If you actually assume Coulson was confident Lincoln could just walk through Rosilands men (quite likely given what he knows Lincoln can do) it's a very clever play. Rosalin thinks she's got Lincoln or Daisy. Lincoln escapes, so she moves against Daisy. Coulson 'panics' and offers his services if she lets Daisy go. She accepts the deal and Coulson gets information about the ACTU he didn't previously have and goons who he can't trust but can call in whenever he needs warm bodies to look for something. At the same time he can go off and do his own thing (like keep identifying and recruiting inhumans he never tells Rosalind about) while all the while Rosalind thinks she won because she forced him into it.
And May's ex-husband seems to have bought it thanks to Ward and Strucker Jr. I thought they'd drag that plot out longer, but things seem to be happening very fast this season. I wonder if they're writing it as they go or if they have a long-term plan beyond "Tie into Civil War".
Really? From the way Baron Von Trustfund seems to be shitting his pants as he flees from the building and the chaos inside I'm fairly sure Andrew just disassembled Wards low rent thugs, either because no one considered being a SHIELD shrink might involve a little more than assessing potentially psychotic superhumans or because he's an inhuman (which would be hilarious given the way he's antagonising Daisy).
Also, Ward seems to have become a much less interesting villain. Just a whiny, manipulative sadist, not the complex villain he seemed to be before. Not liking this.
That's all he ever was though. He was interesting in that he's a break from the square jawed, all American hero he was initially presented as and an effective thug for his bosses, but without capable bosses he's largely useless. He's the same immature kid lashing out at the people that took his toys away he's always been.
The thing that bugs me with Ward is how he just doesn't seem that creative anymore. They go through this whole ordeal to get Hunter in, meanwhile him and May (Mae?) both knew that Ward would recognize him the whole time? I suppose Shield no longer has those nifty face-changing sheets anymore?
I'm rather amused by the fact that the reason he's alive now is because Hunter massively overestimated how large and capable his organisation is. He assumed he'd have to infiltrate nuHydra and work his way up to get to Ward, so going in without a strike team on call and letting himself be unarmed seemed reasonable. In reality all he had to do was acquire some guns and win a fistfight.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Alkaloid wrote: It is kind of annoying, mostly because it would be fairly easy to rationalise. Fury set up a whole bunch of independent SHIELD cells when he figured out what was going on and that would imply he arranged funding for them as well. I'd also be unsurprised if the old senior council (several of who's lives SHIELD saved when HYDRA agent/US congressman planned to kidnap and presumably execute them) are quietly redirecting some money to them as well.
Coulson, as established, has his own council to answer to. But we as viewers don't need to see every interaction when its only a 43 minute episode. We're certainly not going to see it on an off the cuff decision get in on the opposing director's advisory board and possibly influence if not corrupt them to your line and if necessary set up a way to pull them down. Can they vote him down? Yes. Will they start a covert war? With a blatantly third party running around? That's a question. That's a set of questions. Because it might.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

FedRebel wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: The Tesseract has a Space/TIME thingy about it, so let's say from his perspective, he's 'just' been on the alien world a few months before Jemma showed up. Either Skull hid his appearance, or Jemma's blocking it out from the trauma.
The Tesseract is the "space stone". Per the comics, there is a separate "time stone", so this theory of yours doesn't work. That doesn't mean that the Skull couldn't have been preserved by other means, though.

I would say that this is much more likely to be a "Guardians of the Galaxy" tie-in of some kind.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Misquoted Ted C. I never said that.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Ted C wrote:
FedRebel wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: The Tesseract has a Space/TIME thingy about it, so let's say from his perspective, he's 'just' been on the alien world a few months before Jemma showed up. Either Skull hid his appearance, or Jemma's blocking it out from the trauma.
The Tesseract is the "space stone". Per the comics, there is a separate "time stone", so this theory of yours doesn't work. That doesn't mean that the Skull couldn't have been preserved by other means, though.

I would say that this is much more likely to be a "Guardians of the Galaxy" tie-in of some kind.
Fitz: "Jemma! Jemma, why are you so distant?"

Jemma: "It was.. it was... a racoon and a talking tree! I am Groot, I am Groot is all he'd say. It was horrible. The racoon just kept leering at me!!!"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Misquoted Ted C. I never said that.
Might have been a nesting error.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Missed tonight's episode due to rehearsal. Can anyone fill me in on what happened with Simmons, and weather Hunter still has all his teeth after sacrificing May's ex-husband for revenge right in front of her? :lol:
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Spoiler
No word on Hunter/Andrew, the entire episode was Simmons off planet adventures.

As for the episode, the entirely predictable thing happens and they now have to rescue Simmons astronaut boyfriend, who is presently stranded on the planet with a villain they stole from the worse episodes of Doctor Who.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

In more general terms, I think this episode is pretty much a perfect example of the things the show did/does wrong (particularly in the early parts of the first season). It wasn't a terrible episode in isolation, but it certainly was nowhere near good and could potentially have been fantastic but the writers were either too lazy to care or too hacky to be good. They clearly haven't done the most cursory of research into subjects that make up really quite important parts of the episode, they make obvious plot 'twists' which they don't bother to hide and they play at cheap drama wherever possible. Give me strength, or Hunter/Daisy solving their Ward problems by opening fire without needless angst any day over this shit.

I'll award points for the Space Odyssey reference though. Well fucking done whoever had that idea.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Personally I like knowing what happened and not at all sure how this is at all a throwback to Agents of Shield S01E01-E13 Case Of the Week Session. Would like to know more in Starship Troopers fashion. But whatever.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

So to avoid spoilers...
Spoiler
To no one's surprise, Simmons found another person on the alien world, and to no one's surprise she eventually ended up in a relationship with the only other human being she had contact with.

To his credit, Fitz took the news astonishingly well. Whether that's a surprise depends on your level of optimism.

Mystery: Is the "other man" still alive? And what is the "evil" that they were hiding from on that alien world?

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ted C wrote:So to avoid spoilers...
Spoiler
To no one's surprise, Simmons found another person on the alien world, and to no one's surprise she eventually ended up in a relationship with the only other human being she had contact with.

To his credit, Fitz took the news astonishingly well. Whether that's a surprise depends on your level of optimism.

Mystery: Is the "other man" still alive? And what is the "evil" that they were hiding from on that alien world?

I'm also curious as to why the portal was set up to work the way it was. Specifically it's Spoiler
scheduled
openings on that other planet.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

To me, that was the best episode of Agents of SHIELD yet. Though, to be fair, that's probably because Agents of SHIELD has been utter mediocre crap the entirety of its run. This way, we saw an arc of Simmons going through things, and quite a lot of development for her.

Out of curiosity, is Will from anywhere in the Marvel canon?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

SPOILERS BELOW (seeing as the spoiler tags are now broken)

I had Andrew in mind as a Lash suspect, but only as a "wouldn't it be wacky if" kind of thing. An interesting twist, to be sure.

It looks as though Strucker Junior won't be taking up the bald cap and monocle of his old man though, I'll bet he's pretty... (•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■) ... gutted.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'd heard it bandied about, but I'm a bit surprised its actually confirmed. Still, I can see that.

Poor May. All her romantic partners seem to turn out to be evil.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Called it! Hah. They were good about keeping it hidden.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So Lash is locked up now.

I feel bad for May.

Coulson and Rosalind seem to be working together well now, and as of the end of the episode they seem to be literally in bed with one another too. But the teaser for next week shows the whole thing falling apart, and the end of the episode tonight implied that Rosalind's connected with Ward/Hydra (by the way, who was the guy Ward was talking to at the end- has he shown up before?). Though I suppose Rosalind could be just being duped by Hydra.

I must say, these plots are progressing rather fast. Stuff I might normally expect to see strung out for months is being wrapped up in a few episodes, only for new plots to develop. Very fast paced. I wonder what the end game is.

Too much focus on twists and melodrama over plot development that feels natural though, or at least that's my impression.

Also, looks like we know Ward's plan- assassinate Coulson.

A lot more stuff happened as well- they're really cramming a lot into every episode. Sometimes it feels a little too rushed. Like Lincoln's decision to come back to SHIELD. Though maybe that's because I missed the last two episodes.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Personally I like knowing what happened and not at all sure how this is at all a throwback to Agents of Shield S01E01-E13 Case Of the Week Session. Would like to know more in Starship Troopers fashion. But whatever.
There's a bunch of stuff. The stilted dialogue/tell not show thing they have going on (Simmons: "The average person can live 3 weeks without food." Later, perfectly healthy not at all hungry looking Simmons: "Oh Fitz it's terrible, I've been 3 weeks without food and must now kill and eat the strange plant that's been right under my nose this whole time"), the lazy special effects (again, the perfectly healthy looking Simmons who has supposedly gone 3 weeks, exposed to the elements without food), and the utter, utter predictability are all early season 1 hallmarks. They've even gone back to the whole "Fitz likes Simmons and is sad"thing from the first season, which was boring then and will no doubt be boring this time.

It's not the same plot, but it's the same general feel and I'm disappointed in the same way.
Mystery: Is the "other man" still alive?
Yup. End of the episode showed him throwing the now empty gun away. (Incidentally, good example of showing, not telling)
To me, that was the best episode of Agents of SHIELD yet. Though, to be fair, that's probably because Agents of SHIELD has been utter mediocre crap the entirety of its run.
Oh, I won't argue the mediocre crap point. I would have said that episode was perfectly representative of the mediocrity rather than rising above it though.
This way, we saw an arc of Simmons going through things, and quite a lot of development for her.
Did we though? She sat next to a pond for three weeks, then survived after being taught how by someone who already had/made the equipment and learned the lessons necessary to do so. We could have done, had we seen our resident biologist/chemist rigging a field lab to distil toxins out of plants to make them edible/make scary poison darts or something, but we didn't. Frankly we learned more about Fitz, and what we learned there is that he will likely be rocking a suit of power armour soon because it turns out he can make batteries that rival the arc reactor.
They were good about keeping it hidden.
Eh, at least 3 of us in this thread picked it.
Coulson and Rosalind seem to be working together well now, and as of the end of the episode they seem to be literally in bed with one another too. But the teaser for next week shows the whole thing falling apart, and the end of the episode tonight implied that Rosalind's connected with Ward/Hydra (by the way, who was the guy Ward was talking to at the end- has he shown up before?).
I'm still running my Coulson is way ahead of the game and playing her like a fiddle theory, but I doubt they'll write him that clever. He'll just be so shocked, shocked, to be betrayed by her.
Though I suppose Rosalind could be just being duped by Hydra
Given that she has worked at NASA I'm going to bet she was one of the people pushing to send Wills team through the portal, and is associated with the secret society who may or may not be related to HYDRA.
Too much focus on twists and melodrama over plot development that feels natural though, or at least that's my impression.
Yup, that's my take as well. There was almost none last season and now we already have May and Andrew, Hunter and Morse and Daisy and Lightning McMoron. On top of the whole Fitz/Simmons/Will thing. (I'm calling that now by the way. Fitz is completely correct about the secret society being involved in Wills mission, everyone behaves like a fucking moron and dismisses his concerns out of hand because they assume he's jealous after the whole Simmons thing and it bites them in the arse.)

It's a bit of a worry because you normally bolt this sort of extraneous shit to a show when you don't get enough drama out of your main plot to keep it interesting.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, tonight's episode was interesting.

Ward and Coulson were pretty much at the top of their game. Ward is definitely playing in the big leagues by the looks of things.

I'm glad it turned out Rosaline was merely duped rather than part of Hydra. And the infiltration of her facility was quite well done.

The Fitz/Simmons stuff was so sad.

I'm not happy with the revelation that the astronaut/portal plot was part of Hydra, and this sudden massive revelation that Hydra has gone back centuries or more and is all about serving some ancient inhuman. Its too simple, too grandiose, and feels... well, like something that belongs in the Buffyverse, to take another Whedon project. Of course, I suppose the guy who said it could be lying, but I doubt it.

Its kind of funny how they had the discussion of the Hydra octopus logo though. Almost like they were going out of their way to point out how Spectre ripped them off.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: I'm not happy with the revelation that the astronaut/portal plot was part of Hydra, and this sudden massive revelation that Hydra has gone back centuries or more and is all about serving some ancient inhuman. Its too simple, too grandiose, and feels... well, like something that belongs in the Buffyverse, to take another Whedon project. Of course, I suppose the guy who said it could be lying, but I doubt it.

Its kind of funny how they had the discussion of the Hydra octopus logo though. Almost like they were going out of their way to point out how Spectre ripped them off.
Hydra's practically a philosophy more than it's bad guys. Hell it indoctrinates its bad guys. I can buy it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The new episode was pretty good, aside from grimdark Coulson and poor Rosalin being randomly killed for no reason other than shock value and setting up a cliche revenge plot. I honestly hope they resurrect her somehow, because she deserved better.

Still, I've got to say, watching Coulson take apart Ward's squad was pretty impressive. Since he's usually an administrator, its easy to forget that Coulson is a very good fighter himself.

Interesting developments with Ward. As horrific as he is, he's a really fascinating character psychologically, even if its getting tiresome watching him make the same kind of mistakes. I kind of hope his apparent shift in priorities sticks.

But I'm still not liking the whole pseudo-Satanist cult vibe they've given Hydra.

Still, a very suspenseful episode with some big developments.

Looks like the next one is the midseason finale. I'm very curious as to what's going to happen to everyone, especially now that its basically become Stargate: SG SHIELD.

Edited to remove the spoiler tags because I forgot they don't fucking work now.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

This whole situation has me wondering how much society's new situation in general is going to contribute to the Sokovia Accords and they're just calling it that because that's the must traumatic incident the world knows about.