Warlord Titan vs Godzilla (2014)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Warlord Titan vs Godzilla (2014)

Post by Balrog »

Godzilla comes smashing through the Golden Gate Bridge and knocking aside America's mighty military machines like so many tinker toys when a massive warhorn sounds. Thanks to the efforts of Governor Moonbeam, the great state of California has saved up enough pennies to hire out a Warlord Titan, whose crew will gladly defend ancient Terra from what clearly are evil xenos rather than relying on the US government's terrible nuke idea. The war engine is currently standing guard over by city hall and will immediately move to engage the kaiju until it or the monster are destroyed. Godzilla, not liking something clearly challenging it to a roaring contest, will attack the Warlord until it is destroyed. The Warlord is armed with a volcano cannon, gatling blaster and two double-barrel turbo-lasers. Both of the MUTOs took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and got waylaid by the city's surprisingly high violent crime rate.

Alternatively, Godzilla is the one who misses the party, and the Warlord must take on both MUTOs on its own.

Alternatively alternatively, Godzilla and the MUTOs show up exactly as in the movie and the Warlord must contend with both.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Warlord Titan vs Godzilla (2014)

Post by Elheru Aran »

Warlord versus two MUTO's is tricky, especially as one (both?) can fly. Warlord versus Godzilla is more likely to succeed. The main question is whether both of the creatures can deal with its void shields. Also, does the Warlord come with close-combat attachments such as a chainfist? What's its armament? If it's got a Deathstrike missile, well, that's game over right there...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Only problem I see for the Titan is the flying one is capable of getting behind it and maybe knocking it over or doing damage there where the Titan is pretty much incapable of responding with its forward mounted weapons. I'd hope a Titan is proof against the EMP considering the environments it has to fight in.

Do void shields work as a weapon if the beast tried to physically attack the Titan? ie if you tried to punch an active void shield would your arm disintegrate?
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Darth Tanner wrote:Only problem I see for the Titan is the flying one is capable of getting behind it and maybe knocking it over or doing damage there where the Titan is pretty much incapable of responding with its forward mounted weapons. I'd hope a Titan is proof against the EMP considering the environments it has to fight in.

Do void shields work as a weapon if the beast tried to physically attack the Titan? ie if you tried to punch an active void shield would your arm disintegrate?
Non-human titan and their equivalents are able to inflict damage from melee attacks without issue. Best example in this case would be the Tyranid bio-titans. Their tentacles, claws, etc can rip apart a titan in melee without issue. Titan void shields are like shields in Dune, they're great at stopping high speed or high energy attacks. They do not stop slow melee swings.

I'll have to go dig up the old original Adaptus Titanicus rules, but I believe close range melta weapons could also be used in melee. They were inside the shield's protective bubble, making them pretty devastating at point blank range.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

In the Titan comic, a Titan was temporarily disabled by EMP. So a Muto is doom for them.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Elheru Aran wrote:Also, does the Warlord come with close-combat attachments such as a chainfist? What's its armament? If it's got a Deathstrike missile, well, that's game over right there...
Balrog wrote:The Warlord is armed with a volcano cannon, gatling blaster and two double-barrel turbo-lasers.
;)

And from what I've read on lexicanum the void shields do extend out a bit of distance from the Titan, meaning the kaiju will be able to engage it in melee directly.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

The MUTOs will definitely win. Both had the capacity to knock Godzilla on his ass and his balance and mobility is an order of magnitude better than a warlord. If they can use the city to hide from the titans ranged weapons and draw the warlord it it will at the very least get floored, at which point it's easy pickings.

Against Godzilla... I can't see him doing anything but rushing the titan and wearing it's full firepower. Whether or not he can withstand it I have no idea but like the MUTOs if he makes melee it's all over for the titan.

As for void shields, the only way they might be effective is against Godzilla's breath weapon, and only at range. The reason melta weapons (specifically the laser burner, if you're going Adeptus Titanicus) worked was because once titans get it melee their shields merge or the attack comes from within it.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

As much as I love my Warlords, the one listed in the OP will be in for a tough city fight. If it was in open terrain and could bring it's full firepower to bare while the MUTOs or Godzilla are approaching, it should be fine. Up close without a dedicated melee weapon, it's going to have a hard time in a city fight.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The female MUTO was able to go one on one with Godzilla easily. Her exoskeleton was pretty tough, and withstood even the atomic breath. Godzilla wasn't quite as tough but he had mass. His tail smack put the smaller MUTO out of business with one hit. If the Warlord got hit by that, he'd go flying and land hard.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Well now, Forgeworld has released a Warlord for 40K Anyone want to give me $2000?

Doing some back of the envelope math, their warlord comes in at ~30 meters tall. If the Princeps is 2 meters tall, it looks like he is ~55 pixels tall. That gives us a rough measurement of 27.5 pixels per meter. The warlord appears to be ~800 pixels, so 29.09 meters, round to 30 for any measurement errors.

That being said, online sources place Godzilla 2014 between 120 and 150 meters tall. So if Godzilla gets near the warlord, he can just kick it and win the fight.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Azazal wrote:Well now, Forgeworld has released a Warlord for 40K Anyone want to give me $2000?

Doing some back of the envelope math, their warlord comes in at ~30 meters tall. If the Princeps is 2 meters tall, it looks like he is ~55 pixels tall. That gives us a rough measurement of 27.5 pixels per meter. The warlord appears to be ~800 pixels, so 29.09 meters, round to 30 for any measurement errors.

That being said, online sources place Godzilla 2014 between 120 and 150 meters tall. So if Godzilla gets near the warlord, he can just kick it and win the fight.
I would just like to say that holy shit, they're charging more for that thing than for a whole Reaver maniple. :wtf:

At any rate, I haven't seen the 2014 Godzilla, but if he's an organic being at all he's going to have trouble with getting shot by turbolasers and volcano cannons, assuming the Titan can find any open terrain at all.

Of course, then the Titan falls over backwards because it's center of gravity relative to where the guns are mounted is completely fucked, and they both lose. :wink: I stick to my Shadowsword and Baneblade company just on principle when I play Apocalypse. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The 2014 Godzilla explicitly survived the 1950s Pacific nuclear testing as an attempt to kill it, gets smashed through or smashes on purpose all manner of huge structures and fights other monsters capable of tearing open mountains and lifting a nuclear submarine onto land. Way onto land. So unless the Titan is packing megaton class nuclear weapons I would not put much faith in its firepower.

Godzilla is alive, but seriously just to exist he has to be made out of materials with the strength of decent steel. See the main site on that one actually. Organic is not a useful description. The amount of energy he'd need to output just to swim around is crazy. But that's why I like Godzilla. He actually acts like he's as stupid powerful as he'd need to be simply to exist and move around. And also breaths atomic fire.

On the other hand if the Titan can avoid destruction via said fire breath, which I dunno on, it might be able to just keep retreating and at least avoid being defeated by godzilla giving it a punt into the air or a tail swing into a mountain.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Caiaphas
Padawan Learner

Post by Caiaphas »

Sea Skimmer wrote:On the other hand if the Titan can avoid destruction via said fire breath, which I dunno on, it might be able to just keep retreating and at least avoid being defeated by godzilla giving it a punt into the air or a tail swing into a mountain.
Hang on, how wide is the Warlord? Might just be a non sequitur, but if the Titan is too wide to easily fit through the streets of San Fran and doesn't have the mass to walk through the surrounding buildings with impunity, then it's somewhat screwed in the mobility department.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Why would it not have the mass to just walk through the buildings? And if not why not just blast its way through?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

If its only 30m tall it is highly doubtful it can simply walk through a steel or concrete building. That stuff is strong, and a huge amount of interlinked mass to fall back onto such a top heavy machine. The Titan will be very vulnerable to getting bogged down by debris on the ground. Not like some smashed cars kind of debris, but say WTC like deep piles of ruined building debris. Its foot design is not inspiring for this purpose, though better then your average mecha, which is just downright horrendous. Godzilla should also have problems, but with much greater amounts of debris because he's so much bigger and has the advantage of a tail.

However most of San Francisco is wooden or masonry buildings no more then 6-8 stories tall, and a Titan should be able to bash through a lot of that as needed, though not with impunity the way Godzilla could. It'd still be dumb to rely on though, Godzilla could crush most of the city while rolling around on his back, you aren't going to get away from him by smashing through buildings.

At best that would be a way to dodge a specific attack. Better to stick to the bigger avenues the city has, and the high ground, and keep moving while concentrating fire on his head. Though it'd be better still to deploy north of the golden gate on the hills, or over in Oakland. Godzilla can swim at high speed and the Titan can't, though it might be able to ford certain parts of San Francisco Bay, so deploying in the downtown core with water on three sides is a bit tactically unsound to say the least. 40K has a lot of dumb stuff on weapons ranges, but also enough other stuff to suggest that six or seven miles shouldn't put it out of range as far as its heaviest weapons go. And anything less will be useless for certain.

I still go with Godzilla makes it go squish. Godzilla vs his own volume in Titan's would be different perhaps, but most but not all versions of Godzilla have proven immune to concentrated fire below a critical threshold. Rather the way several inches of armor plate can withstand rifle fire all day long.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Sea Skimmer wrote:40K has a lot of dumb stuff on weapons ranges, but also enough other stuff to suggest that six or seven miles shouldn't put it out of range as far as its heaviest weapons go. And anything less will be useless for certain.
Titanicus explicitly describes an engagement at 15km range, so yes that's a reasonable range.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Quick note - I did some rudimentary pixel scaling on the new Forge World Warlord, which comes out close to the 30m tall benchmark, and around 20m wide at the broadest part of the shoulder plates.

2014-movie Godzilla's only big failing seems to be combat stamina; he went down for several minutes after the building fell on him, and for several hours after killing the female Muto. If the Warlord can start out strong and put enough fire into Godzilla to force him to retreat and then fall back to open ground where it has clear fire lanes, I'd give him a shot of taking it. Otherwise - especially if the mandate to protect the citizens and city of ancient Terra forces the Titan to hold ground in the city proper - I don't fancy the Titan's chances.
Caiaphas
Padawan Learner

Post by Caiaphas »

Venator wrote:Quick note - I did some rudimentary pixel scaling on the new Forge World Warlord, which comes out close to the 30m tall benchmark, and around 20m wide at the broadest part of the shoulder plates.

2014-movie Godzilla's only big failing seems to be combat stamina; he went down for several minutes after the building fell on him, and for several hours after killing the female Muto. If the Warlord can start out strong and put enough fire into Godzilla to force him to retreat and then fall back to open ground where it has clear fire lanes, I'd give him a shot of taking it. Otherwise - especially if the mandate to protect the citizens and city of ancient Terra forces the Titan to hold ground in the city proper - I don't fancy the Titan's chances.
So it basically boils down to whether the Titan initially has line-of-sight at sufficient range on Godzilla?
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Caiaphas wrote:
Venator wrote:Quick note - I did some rudimentary pixel scaling on the new Forge World Warlord, which comes out close to the 30m tall benchmark, and around 20m wide at the broadest part of the shoulder plates.

So it basically boils down to whether the Titan initially has line-of-sight at sufficient range on Godzilla?
That'd be my feeling. Despite the relatively diminutive size, Titans (and 40K in general) throws around vaguely absurd amounts of firepower - the battleships with gargoyles and cathedral windows that can pump out (and absorb) GT-level firepower, for example.

The Titan's problem isn't lack of punch - certainly not considering movie-Godzilla has no where close to the level of durability or regeneration he's had in the old films - but rather the simple physics of big-thing-make-small-thing-fall-over.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Balrog wrote:Thanks to the efforts of Governor Moonbeam, the great state of California has saved up enough pennies to hire out a Warlord Titan, whose crew will gladly defend ancient Terra from what clearly are evil xenos rather than relying on the US government's terrible nuke idea.

Just to say, they're probably not dumb enough to think they're Xenos. Godzilla may be remarkably sympathetic but he doesn't seem to have a culture or abstract thought.

They'd presumably consider him an Archeosaur.

Speaking of Archeosaurs, the short story from (IIRC, Let the Galaxy Burn, and also Inferno 18) "Battle of the Archeosaurs"

The Archeosaurs in this story's accompanying illustration (from Inferno 18) are obvious Godzilla-expies, right down to plasma breath, but they are smaller. One of them flips a warlord titan with a blow to its back from his tail and causes its fission reactor to melt-down. Given that these are smaller than this version of Godzilla, and fight titans on even terms, I can't see the titan surviving.

The Imperials in the story pulled out and inflicted exterminatus on the planet.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

NecronLord wrote: Just to say, they're probably not dumb enough to think they're Xenos. Godzilla may be remarkably sympathetic but he doesn't seem to have a culture or abstract thought.
Well not in the 2014 movie, but he sure did in multiple past movies. Godzilla vs. Megalon Go!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Well, yeah, I'm only thinking of the 2014 one (and the original, as it pitches itself as a sequel IIRC?).
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Its a new canon that is utterly incompatible with the 1954 movie. Godzilla in the 2014 movie is only known to the military and governments, he never burned down Tokyo or is even indicated to have caused any damage at all. Just swimming around the Pacific, and after nukes didn't kill him they adapted a wait and see approach until the Muto showed up.

The new movie certainly took strong inspiration from the original movie, but that really only created its weakness of Godzilla having little actual screen time. Made sense in the original, but not when he's already perhaps the best known movie monster on the planet.