Jurassic World - Trailer #2 (Universal Pictures) HD

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Jurassic World - Trailer #2 (Universal Pictures) HD

Post by amigocabal »

This will be awesome.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Jurassic World - Trailer #2 (Universal Pictures) HD

Post by Mr Bean »

amigocabal wrote: This will be awesome.
This will be stupid... and awesome
Seriously did they create Dinosaur Lenin? You have nothing to lose but your chains comrade T-rex!

Also the fact that they are trying to hunt 8000 pound animals with what looks like 5.56 NATO gets a LOL out of me. I'd love to see the game warden when asked to be able to hunt down and kill a Rogue elephant equips his men with BB guns and nerf launchers. T-rex's alone should require something in the 12mm and above range.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

This will be fucking stupid, but perhaps a decent enough popcorn movie.

I wonder how the meeting to design the new dinosaur played out?

Boss: We need a new dinosaur to increase sales.
Scientist: Sure. Which one would you like? There are hundreds to choose from.
Boss: No, no, I mean, we need to make a new dinosaur, like a hybrid or something.
Scientist: Umm, why?
Boss: Dinosaurs aren't good enough.
Scientist: What? Dinosaurs aren't good enough? We're already raking in billions in profits every year!
Boss: Right, and my goal is to make even more money this year. We're not doing this for a charity you know.
Scientist: I guess. So what are you thinking? Miniaturized pets? I think that's a great idea, what kid wouldn't want a little dinosaur as a pet-
Boss: Make me MURDERSAURUS-REX!
Scientist: ...what's that?
Boss: Basically a T-Rex. But Bigger. Meaner. And without those stupid little arms. Oh, and I want it to be as intelligent as possible. And make it so that it can learn from it's mistakes. And make it so that it can communicate with other dinosaurs.
Scientist: ...
Boss: The crowds full of unarmed civilians and children will love it! What could possibly go wrong?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I fail to see why a Barrett .50cal and an IR scope wouldn't instantly solve this problem. Or if being on the ground bothers you a helicopter IR sensor and a hellfire.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Because drama.

I saw the trailer on Avengers. It would have been the stupidest thing I saw, except also the San Andreas trailer was a thing.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Pretty much the above, drama. Its the same reason why guns rarely seem to work on the BBC tv show Primeval. Some dude just blasting the dino and ending the threat would be boring so everyone gots to take stupid pills, take an MP5 or other small caliber weapons versus a bigass dinosaur and create DRAMAZZZZS!!!!

I think this is another movie I'll skip alongside Average Four and Batman v Superman.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

The Jurassic Park movies seem to have a theme throughout of the people in charge of stuff being woefully unprepared for escaped dinosaurs. An anti-material rifle would splatter the super dino's heart all over the tree on the other side of it, sure. But they don't bother to have those around. They could easily afford to have dozens of the things, and they've got justification for it. But they don't bother. "What could possibly go wrong?" Even though dinosaur escape has happened before.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Cracked had a-- for once-- fairly decent article today about the (mis)use of special effects nowadays, focusing mostly on Jurassic World. Largely it makes the case that digital effects are overused versus physical (rather tenuous IMO but they made some decent points) and that a number of lame techniques are being used to make movies look 'cool' such as over-saturated colours.

They did have heavy weaponry in the original Jurassic Park-- Muldoon totes a large SPAS shotgun in the "Smart girl" scene. But they were locked away in a weapons locker, not easily obtainable, so yeah. There's some weaponry in the second movie-- tranquilizer guns, net-guns and the such, and they do seem reasonably effective when people are catching dinosaurs. Not so much afterwards, of course. In the third movie, there wasn't much reason for them to have weapons as they were in a situation they'd never really planned to be in anyway and the InGen post on Site B had been abandoned for a decade or so for whatever reason so one presumes they removed the weaponry before they left.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Elheru Aran wrote:Cracked had a-- for once-- fairly decent article today about the (mis)use of special effects nowadays, focusing mostly on Jurassic World. Largely it makes the case that digital effects are overused versus physical (rather tenuous IMO but they made some decent points) and that a number of lame techniques are being used to make movies look 'cool' such as over-saturated colours.

They did have heavy weaponry in the original Jurassic Park-- Muldoon totes a large SPAS shotgun in the "Smart girl" scene. But they were locked away in a weapons locker, not easily obtainable, so yeah. There's some weaponry in the second movie-- tranquilizer guns, net-guns and the such, and they do seem reasonably effective when people are catching dinosaurs. Not so much afterwards, of course. In the third movie, there wasn't much reason for them to have weapons as they were in a situation they'd never really planned to be in anyway and the InGen post on Site B had been abandoned for a decade or so for whatever reason so one presumes they removed the weaponry before they left.
Except the mercs at the beginning of JP3 had .50 cal barret rifles (which in movie were described as 20MM), so they were prepared at least.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's been a long time since I watched that movie. Forgot about the mercs. Go figure.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Joun_Lord wrote:Pretty much the above, drama. Its the same reason why guns rarely seem to work on the BBC tv show Primeval. Some dude just blasting the dino and ending the threat would be boring so everyone gots to take stupid pills, take an MP5 or other small caliber weapons versus a bigass dinosaur and create DRAMAZZZZS!!!!

I think this is another movie I'll skip alongside Average Four and Batman v Superman.
Well in Primeval they preferred to try and get the creatures to go back through the anomalies alive if they could to prevent any possible changes to the time line.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Elheru Aran wrote:Cracked had a-- for once-- fairly decent article today about the (mis)use of special effects nowadays, focusing mostly on Jurassic World. Largely it makes the case that digital effects are overused versus physical (rather tenuous IMO but they made some decent points) and that a number of lame techniques are being used to make movies look 'cool' such as over-saturated colours.

I don't think anybody but Clever Girl guy actually tried to use weapons in JP1. In two the InGen mercs were effective with weapons until Vince Vaughn sabotaged alot of them including that huge ass .600 nitro express rifle. Some of the other mercs had AKs but didn't seem to use them in the panic of being attacked by the T-Rex and Raptors.

The merc dudes with the "20mm" in the 3rd movie just bought it thanks to movie stupidity. I think they may have fired it off screen but apparently somehow missed a giant ass dinosaur. They also had a SL-8 rifle, a Steyr AUG, and a Mossberg 12 gauge but never use them.
Bedlam wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:Pretty much the above, drama. Its the same reason why guns rarely seem to work on the BBC tv show Primeval. Some dude just blasting the dino and ending the threat would be boring so everyone gots to take stupid pills, take an MP5 or other small caliber weapons versus a bigass dinosaur and create DRAMAZZZZS!!!!

Well in Primeval they preferred to try and get the creatures to go back through the anomalies alive if they could to prevent any possible changes to the time line.
Doesn't change the fact they shoot at dinosaurs and the guns are about as effective a shooting them with an airsoft gun. Maybe they are airsoft guns and they are trying to herd the dinosaurs back to the time portal GI Joe style?
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

JP1: During the opening scene there were men armed with shotguns, which they used on the raptor in the cage IIRC. During the course of the film both Muldoon (park ranger guy) and Grant (kid spooking archeologist guy) tried to use a shotgun against raptors as well. Muldoon was unsuccessful due to being clever girl'd and Grant just shot at the glass wall without landing any hits on the raptor behind it.

JP2: The hunters had rifles but were surprised by a T-Rex in the middle of their camp while they slept and raptors attacking them piecemeal from the behind in tall grass. One of the people on the expedition send by Hammond had a rifle loaded with venom powerful enough to kill basically anything, but he got surprised by the two Rexes and his rifle got stuck in some kind of net. Later on they had a guy with a big-ass rifle on a helicopter but he couldn't get a good shot in before Sarah (run off and almost get trampled by a Stegosaurus gal) managed to sedate the Rex.

JP3: As mentioned, the mercs were armed to the teeth but never really had a chance to use their weapons. At the end of the movie the US Marines showed up with amphibious tanks etc.

So overall it looks like they had more or less the appropriate weoponry for the situation they expected to be in but sometimes circumstances conspired against them/people were massive idiots.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Mr Bean wrote: Also the fact that they are trying to hunt 8000 pound animals with what looks like 5.56 NATO gets a LOL out of me. I'd love to see the game warden when asked to be able to hunt down and kill a Rogue elephant equips his men with BB guns and nerf launchers. T-rex's alone should require something in the 12mm and above range.
A really high end magnum .30cal would probably be enough to kill them with one or two shots, if not quickly, you'd need much bigger for the instant kill. But people kill elephants in Africa with AK-47s all the damn time as it is, its perhaps the most common poaching rifle in use today. Sure one or even ten rounds wont work, but its a bloody assault rifle, even if you cant penetrate a major organ to put it down you can pulp the muscles really really fast with 300 rounds of semi or automatic fire and it will then fall down, bleed out and die.

I think the people who made The Lost World movie fully understood that, which is why they simply had NOBODY ever bother to unload on the T-rex attack on the mercenary camp. The only gunfire is blatantly shot in the air by morons while running away. Its just a reality that big animals are not going to threaten anyone with guns and significant amounts of ammunition. A T-rex is bigger then an a Africa elephant sure, but not radically so. Blue whales are killed by whalers with .50cal rounds, which will penetrate the lungs no problem, and that's a 150+ ton class of animal. A T-rex is 6-8 tons. Big, but just not that big. A giant sauropod would be more resistant and perhaps have skin so thick its muscles could not be hit by assault rifle fire, but then it'd probably run away form gunfire too. N

Michael Crichton had a fairly plausible story in the original novel, in that the owner of the place simply refused to allow guns on the island at all because he though the dino's were more valuable then human life, a part of the whole storyline, but that of course does not hold up once people with other interests get involved. I forget what actually happened in the Lost World novel.

I hope this movie is fun, but I'm really not holding my breath on even that much after someone put a rubber stamp on Jurassic Park III. And I'm sure it won't be as fun as it could be, such as by having someone gene splice a wolf and a killer whale into a seven ton killer wolf to fight the T-rex with.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Skgoa wrote:JP1: During the opening scene there were men armed with shotguns, which they used on the raptor in the cage IIRC. During the course of the film both Muldoon (park ranger guy) and Grant (kid spooking archeologist guy) tried to use a shotgun against raptors as well. Muldoon was unsuccessful due to being clever girl'd and Grant just shot at the glass wall without landing any hits on the raptor behind it.

snip

So overall it looks like they had more or less the appropriate weoponry for the situation they expected to be in but sometimes circumstances conspired against them/people were massive idiots.
I hate to nitpick as it has nothing to do with your post, but this is a mistake that always annoys me. Grant was a paleontologist, not an archaeologist. An archaeologist deals with the remains of human civilization(or perhaps in science fiction other sapient races). A paleontologist deals with prehistoric fossils. Though there is overlap in terms of studying the earliest humans. At least in America, human paleontology and archaeology are both generally subsets of anthropology(alongside cultural anthropology which is essentially the same thing as sociology, though more frequently about cultures other than your own). I believe in Europe archaeology is closer to the classics rather than the social sciences.

As for the main point of your post, I agree completely. Jurassic Park is a good example of the problem with modern horror plots. Our technology is sufficiently advanced that it must break(or not be used) to create tension.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Skgoa wrote:JP1: During the opening scene there were men armed with shotguns, which they used on the raptor in the cage IIRC.
While there may have been shotgun guys, the weapons used were tasers, which Muldoon ordered "on full charge."

Presumably the shotguns were for if one got out.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Lost World had a guy actually sabotage the weapons, if I remember right.

Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of the 'no-one prepares for the obvious' narrative. One time, you can be caught off guard. Past that, you begin to think ahead. Forth, c'mon.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Lost World had a guy actually sabotage the weapons, if I remember right.
Yeah the secret agent eco-terrorist dude pulled the live ammo out of the hunter's rifle. Had he not done that, I'm certain a well-placed couple of shots from an elephant gun would take out even a Rex.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Tribble wrote:This will be fucking stupid, but perhaps a decent enough popcorn movie.

I wonder how the meeting to design the new dinosaur played out?
Yeah it doesn't make much sense for them to ripoff a toyline premise (Jurassic Park: Chaos Effect)

If I was an amoral corporate executive with a theme park full of cloned Dinos and really wanted a 'designer' attraction....DRAGONS! Dracorex has a vague resemblance, throw in a a few other Dinosaurian and Pterosaurian traits...and have a range of different Dragon species based on the European, Oriental, and Mesoamerican styles. Could be a whole park district dedicated to 'fantasy' and a great way to profit off the fantasy boom Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter set in motion.

I don't have a problem with the films concept of a Super-Rex...from the standpoint that meateaters are crowd pleasers and predators can be difficult to control in captivity (Blackfish for example.) The hyperintelligence is what I take issue with, cunning is good, but being able to remove it's own tracking implant (thanks trailer for spoiling) is a tad much, as well as the ability to communicate with the other species and genus' in the park to coordinate an apparent mass uprising (thanks again trailer.)

http://www.jurassicworld.com/dinosaurs/

^Specimen list is rather poor...I don't get why most animals are grouped in the 'Cretaceous Cruise' and T-Rex is by herself (one specimen in the whole 'Tyrannosaurus Rex Kingdom'.) I'd be of the mind to populate the Tyrannosaur district with a variety of Tyrannosauridae...with T-Rex being the the star attraction of course. (I'd also go for organizing specimens into districts associated with the Mesozoic time periods instead of just dumping a bunch of Jurassic and Cretaceous fauna together.)
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Sea Skimmer wrote: I forget what actually happened in the Lost World novel.
Levine jumped the gun & went to the island with a guide (who got eaten 'off camera' as it were). Malcolm, Thorne & Eddie (plus two annoying stowaway kids) head to the island with the techno RV, jeep & bike, kitted out with non lethal weapons including gas grenades which they do actually use to good effect.
Harding (Malcolms SO) was out in the field in Africa & has to play catchup, unwittingly hitching a lift with the bad guys. Who in the book are not Ingen exec & a bunch of mercs but Dodgson (mentioned in the 1st book) with a couple of lackeys, a gas powered jeep, a couple of non lethal sonic weapons and the gear required to transport fertilised eggs off the island.
Obviously nothing ever goes to plan plus the critters of the island are infected with the dino version of mad cow disease. Shenanigans and dismemberment by T-Rex ensues.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Gandalf wrote: While there may have been shotgun guys, the weapons used were tasers, which Muldoon ordered "on full charge."

Presumably the shotguns were for if one got out.
That bit ends with Muldoon yelling 'shoot her' with unknown results as the shot fades out and some gunshot sound effects. But then its possible even then that the shotguns were loaded with baton rounds; something that might wound the animal when used at point blank range without being certain of killing it. Or at least that would fit with the book theme. The movie makes it clear later that they had buckshot in the shotguns, but that doesn't mean they always did. Buckshot totally isn't what you'd want for killing large animals either, but fine enough against a raptor.
Adamskywalker007 wrote: As for the main point of your post, I agree completely. Jurassic Park is a good example of the problem with modern horror plots. Our technology is sufficiently advanced that it must break(or not be used) to create tension.
It doesn't help that people keep wanting to make movies 150 minutes or longer that still have super simple plots, so many bad movies these days seem like they would work much better if only 90 minutes long. For horror movies doubly so.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

In the Jurassic Park novel Muldoon had a rocket launcher which he used to blow up one raptor and injure another. The problem was that he only had 6 rockets while there were 8 adult raptors in the pen plus a few that were loose on the island. Unfortunately we never got to see him use a rocket on the adult T-Rex because he tranquilized it earlier on. :cry:

Oh, and there were nerve gas grenades that were stashed in a locker that no one knew about until the end of the novel (except perhaps for Hammond, though if he knew he didn't tell anyone before his death).
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Sea Skimmer wrote: It doesn't help that people keep wanting to make movies 150 minutes or longer that still have super simple plots, so many bad movies these days seem like they would work much better if only 90 minutes long. For horror movies doubly so.
Yeeeees.

Even most recent movies I love, I tend to view as on the long side, and I avoid the super-long ones. It's a rare movie indeed where I can't figure out where I'd trim another 5+ minutes if I was editor, and some movies it'd be easy to drop big chunks.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Yeeeees.
Given the topic, I can't resist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2t4MBhGAg8

I'd be pretty happy if this was the new dinosaur for the movie, yeeeeessss.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I can't imagine that it'd be that much harder to take down a dinosaur than it would for some of the larger animals people have hunted. As another person noted, it'd take multiple coincidental/compounded failures/sabotage in order to place all the humans running the place into such a disadvantaged position.

I wonder how situations would play out, if the park simply kept a game warden aloft, armed with a high powered rifle/machine gun, AND the skill to reliably hit targets, in a helicopter. Or institute some sort of passive safety system, where the fenced in areas are layered with shutters, which must have power applied in order to keep them open, and which shut when certain emergency buttons/alarms are pressed.