Sf Debris Dune review need help

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Solo.13mmfmj
Redshirt

Sf Debris Dune review need help

Post by Solo.13mmfmj »

Sf Debris Dune review:
http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/dune.php
Need help identifying the the intro song.
(Sorry to moderator if this isn't in the right section )
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Sf Debris Dune review need help

Post by FaxModem1 »

Check out the credits at the end of the review, he lists the songs he used.
Solo.13mmfmj
Redshirt

Post by Solo.13mmfmj »

FaxModem1 wrote:Check out the credits at the end of the review, he lists the songs he used.
Unfortunately this time he doesn't.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Maybe it's from the original soundtrack? I'm going through the tracks listed here, though I'm not yet successful in finding a match.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Grahf: Seeker Of Power
Padawan Learner

Post by Grahf: Seeker Of Power »

According to Shazam it is Hymn 567 From the Pyramid Texts.
"STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS"
My Imgur Profile: https://imgur.com/user/WheelerThigpen
Solo.13mmfmj
Redshirt

Post by Solo.13mmfmj »

Grahf: Seeker Of Power wrote:According to Shazam it is Hymn 567 From the Pyramid Texts.
Thanks man.Thanks for the help.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Well that was a great review. Truly. Dune has been my favorite Sci-fi of all time since I watched it on VHS as a kid. It had the effect on my that Star Wars had on so many others. I've read the book numerous times, and will certainly read it again in the future. Same goes for the movie, of which I have a really long version that starts with a lot of narration an what looks like hand-painted stills explaining the past of the Dune universe.

Looking back though, there's one really funny thing that gets me, and that Gurney Halleck. It's established that he's something of a BAMF in the movie (shown quite well in the books) but we never get to grasp that in the film. Two scenes in particular are what makes me chuckle. The first is when we see him years after the attack, when he's in charge of a group of pirates/spice smugglers. He and Paul greet each other after years apart with manly tears in a truly touching moment...

...Thing is, the last time we saw him was during the Harkkonen attack, when he's leading a last, doomed charge against the Saudukar. In that scene, he's at the head of a group of Atredies infantry wearing nothing but his dress uniform and carrying nothing the royal pug, a pistol, and his bald pate into a battle against tens of thousands of elite, power armored supersoldiers. Now cut to the scene where he and Paul are reunited.

There is a story here, and I want to hear it. Because it sounds like one where Gurney mentions how he really liked the part with the chandelier and the flamethrower, after which he emerges wearing most of a bear and carrying a shotgun, pug yipping happily at his feet.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

I take it by "movie" you mean the Sci Fi miniseries, and by "film" you mean the David Lynch one?
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

andrewgpaul wrote:I take it by "movie" you mean the Sci Fi miniseries, and by "film" you mean the David Lynch one?
the David Lynch one was that SF Debris reviewed
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Highlord Laan wrote: royal pug.
What was up with that anyway? I can't recall any mention of a dog in the Dune books and if it was something made for the movie its inclusion seems just ood. I have to wonder why in universe Gurney thought it was smart idea to be carrying it around during a massive attack they knew they were going to lose. It would be like a British Army general carrying around one of the Queen's Corgis during an invasion by the Russians. Despite its oddity I do find myself wondering what the hell happened to the poor little thing. Did it die? Was it abandoned in some alley somewhere around the palace, from being a pampered royal dog to stealing space scraps out of space trash cans?

Just one of the many strange things in the Dune movie. Probably why the the movie was so damn awesome.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Highlord Laan wrote: *Snip* Dune has been my favorite Sci-fi of all time since I watched it on VHS as a kid. It had the effect on my that Star Wars had on so many others. I've read the book numerous times, and will certainly read it again in the future. Same goes for the movie, of which I have a really long version that starts with a lot of narration an what looks like hand-painted stills explaining the past of the Dune universe. *Snip*
Same here whenever I hear people talk about the effect Star Wars or Star Trek had on them I think of Dune as well, both the mini-series/film and the books. I don't know why, and this isn't at all a slight against SW or ST because I enjoy both of them thoroughly, I just always found them to be a little to happy-go-lucky. Especially Star Trek as it always seemed a little to shiny and pretty with sparkly lights and to much technobable that pops up at the last second to save the day. Again, not a bad thing just not to my taste. I'm more of a nBSG/HonorVerse/Dune kind of guy.
Highlord Laan wrote:...Thing is, the last time we saw him was during the Harkkonen attack, when he's leading a last, doomed charge against the Saudukar. In that scene, he's at the head of a group of Atredies infantry wearing nothing but his dress uniform and carrying nothing the royal pug, a pistol, and his bald pate into a battle against tens of thousands of elite, power armored supersoldiers. Now cut to the scene where he and Paul are reunited.

There is a story here, and I want to hear it. Because it sounds like one where Gurney mentions how he really liked the part with the chandelier and the flamethrower, after which he emerges wearing most of a bear and carrying a shotgun, pug yipping happily at his feet.
Holy shit I never thought about that until now... You're right that has to be one hell of a story.