Tron 3 To Begin Filming Fall 2015

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Re: Tron 3 To Begin Filming Fall 2015

Post by Adrian McNair »

Disney has pulled the plug.

Well, this sucks. I was looking forward to it. First Tron: Uprising and now this. Pirates of the Caribbean can get a fifth interminable sequel (no doubt featuring a boring as fuck lead actor who takes away screen-time from Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush) but a third Tron movie is apparently a bridge too far. I loved Legacy's art direction, visual effects and soundtrack. Hell, I thought the story though slow-paced at times, was adequate (it could have used way more of Tron, though). As has been brought up in this thread there were definitely plenty of possibilities when it came to future stories (with Quorra materialising in the real world and the appearance of Dillinger, Jr. being two obvious hooks).
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Money. Tron 2 made money, but is on the edge-zone of sequel-or-not at 2x budget. Pacific Rim was also on said edge zone, but had an enthusiastic director & fans and importantly the market it did well in was one of interest to movie makers (China), and the movie company in question doesn't have many other franchises so it was worth it to them. Tron Legacy is from a company that has a ton of other franchises, and didn't have anything unusually appealing about it's performance beyond being solid.

Pirates, on the flip side, did 4x it's budget last time out. If you're a movie studio and movie four of a franchise does that well, you do a movie 5.
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Q99 wrote:Money. Tron 2 made money, but is on the edge-zone of sequel-or-not at 2x budget. Pacific Rim was also on said edge zone, but had an enthusiastic director & fans and importantly the market it did well in was one of interest to movie makers (China), and the movie company in question doesn't have many other franchises so it was worth it to them. Tron Legacy is from a company that has a ton of other franchises, and didn't have anything unusually appealing about it's performance beyond being solid.

Pirates, on the flip side, did 4x it's budget last time out. If you're a movie studio and movie four of a franchise does that well, you do a movie 5.
Yeah, I know that. That sentence regarding Pirates was merely rhetorical grousing on my part (a thoroughly played out franchise getting a chance as opposed to one that still has potential). It's just that a multi-billion dollar juggernaut like Disney that has made billions from the MCU and will no doubt continue to make billions when The Force Awakens arrives should not be so risk-averse. Surely the budget for Tron 3 would be a relative drop in the bucket. But I don't run a corporate multimedia powerhouse so the thinking of the suits just baffles me.
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Q99 wrote:Money. Tron 2 made money, but is on the edge-zone of sequel-or-not at 2x budget. Pacific Rim was also on said edge zone, but had an enthusiastic director & fans and importantly the market it did well in was one of interest to movie makers (China), and the movie company in question doesn't have many other franchises so it was worth it to them. Tron Legacy is from a company that has a ton of other franchises, and didn't have anything unusually appealing about it's performance beyond being solid.

Pirate 4 did well but I don't think a 5 will. I bet if you check it made most of its money quickly before word of mouth could let people know how overall shitty it was. I know I wont be wasting money on a Pirates 5.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Replicant wrote: Pirate 4 did well but I don't think a 5 will. I bet if you check it made most of its money quickly before word of mouth could let people know how overall shitty it was. I know I wont be wasting money on a Pirates 5.

*Checks* A bit on the high side, but not too far from an average fall.

It didn't have great word of mouth, but I think it wasn't bad enough to hurt sales overly, not with the crowd who wanted 'more pirates.'

Keeping in mind that even if the eh factor of pirates 4 cuts 5's box office by a third- which'd be a pretty big drop as movies go- it'd still be a financial big hit. If the budget is reduced, then it's even safer.

A sequel to a movie that big is safe money. Especially since it's still associated with earlier pirates movies too, so if they do a good job the reviews will compare it to 1 more than 4. It's a big enough franchise that even one miss won't stop it.