Asgard is invaded by none other than.... Lord Vader

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who takes it? Vader or Odin?

Vader leaves Asgard a smoking Ruin, insert Imperial March Here.
31%
Asgard 1, Coruscant 0!!!
28%
Loki finds a way out and comes out smelling like a rose.
28%
Some other outcome....
14%

Total votes: 29

Havok
Miscreant

Re: Asgard is invaded by none other than.... Lord Vader

Post by Havok »

And then we have Hoth, where we see blasters barely do anything to ice. :lol: And don't tell me the rebels were keeping the power settings low.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I do kind of love the zany effects of SW guns. Like that bit where Veers' AT-AT shoots a fleeing Rebel, who then just kind of slowly jogs and falls down. Then the AT-AT blows the fuck out of the shield generator. Or Greedo getting turned into a goddamn charred skeleton by Han, but rebels getting shot by military weapons just kind of...get shot and fall.

Maybe something about human flesh adds like, +5 to blaster tech defense?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

NeoGoomba wrote:I do kind of love the zany effects of SW guns. Like that bit where Veers' AT-AT shoots a fleeing Rebel, who then just kind of slowly jogs and falls down. Then the AT-AT blows the fuck out of the shield generator. Or Greedo getting turned into a goddamn charred skeleton by Han, but rebels getting shot by military weapons just kind of...get shot and fall.

Maybe something about human flesh adds like, +5 to blaster tech defense?
For handheld small arms, I'd assume that the replaceable power source adheres to conservation of energy. Thus reducing the yield of each individual "shot" (assuming it was adjustable) would allow more shots to be fired before the power source needs to be swapped out. Thus you just don't shoot a man with an excessive level of overkill, when a quarter of that will kill him just as dead.
Of course, I suppose that kind of makes Han Solo look like a nutball for blasting Greedo with that much juice.

As for AT-ATs that should have onboard reactors where energy storage limits are no longer an issue, I guess it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just turn their guns all the way up to the "vaporize the ice and all the Rebels on it" yield setting. And keep it at that setting.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Of course, I suppose that kind of makes Han Solo look like a nutball for blasting Greedo with that much juice.
He had to blast through a table and ensure Greedo got wasted in the process. Better overkill than sorry. :)
I guess it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just turn their guns all the way up to the "vaporize the ice and all the Rebels on it" yield setting. And keep it at that setting.
Agreed, but we do hear General Veers specifically order maximum firepower once he targets the shield emitter. So maybe they would have been capable of blowing up so MUCH ice that the walker would be stuck on the edge of a very big hole.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Borgholio wrote:
He had to blast through a table and ensure Greedo got wasted in the process. Better overkill than sorry. :)
I guess it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just turn their guns all the way up to the "vaporize the ice and all the Rebels on it" yield setting. And keep it at that setting.
Agreed, but we do hear General Veers specifically order maximum firepower once he targets the shield emitter. So maybe they would have been capable of blowing up so MUCH ice that the walker would be stuck on the edge of a very big hole.
In the novelization some AT-ATs fell though the ice, so I imagine that Veers was just being cautious.

Plus, remember that the goal was to capture Echo Base, not destroy it. Veers couldn't risk vaporizing massive amounts of ice because that might have collapsed the entire base. He didn't know where Luke was, and he sure as hell didn't want to have to explain to Vader why Luke's corpse is now underneath several tons of ice. Better for him to keep the power low unless it was absolutely needed.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Another possibility is that the AT-AT seems to have multiple kinds of beam weapons on the head- cheek and chin guns or something. It would make sense to have two weapons of very different firepower and performance, one for blowing holes in enemy fortifications and one for close support of friendly troops... or energy-efficient strafing of soft targets.

Sort of like the coaxial machine gun on a tank. It's a lightweight addition to a heavy vehicle, and it gives the tank a way of engaging targets that would be a waste of a main gun round.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Have the ISD and Asgard send out their mightiest warriors to compare feats of strength and valor. While his output was respectable, Palpatine is ultimately defeated in the lightning-off, but he brings home the gold in the limbo. Darth Vader beats Heimdal in the blackest voice competition, and Odin steals out father of the year from Vader once again. It all comes down to one caber toss...

Otherwise, I can only assume the asgardian city shield is indestructible. ISD will probably blast the crap out of the rest of the city, but I doubt it could damage the bifrost. And then, as people have said, the heroes come into play. Once they get on board the ship, they win. Iron man probably makes an appearance, as well as Starlord. Cameo by the hulk. Loki spends half the time disguised as Captain America. Arnim Zola returns.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Thread necromancy for jokes is intolerable.

Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth