ghost busters reboot with female cast

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

dragon
Sith Marauder

ghost busters reboot with female cast

Post by dragon »

The next Ghostbusters movie is a reboot of the franchise with women in the main, ghost-busting roles, reports The Hollywood Reporter

Paul Feig, who directed the Oscar-nominated 2011 film Bridesmaids, is believed to be Sony Pictures' top choice to direct the film, though THR said formal negotiations have not yet taken place, citing unnamed sources.

No names of any actors have been floated or rumored yet.

However, the Ghostbusters 3 project that would have been a more direct sequel is not confirmed to be canned outright. Variety reports that "it's unclear whether another director will be chosen for that project, or if this reboot takes its place."

What was to be Ghostbusters 3 ran into a number of problems — principally the death of actor (and original co-writer) Harold Ramis in February, and original director Ivan Reitman's departure from the project in March.

Variety, citing unnamed sources, said the script for the new film will be written from scratch.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: ghost busters reboot with female cast

Post by Crazedwraith »

I've got nothing against female ghostbusters. But to announce it in that way, without even a script or actors confirmed or anything, feels really gimmicky.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Ghostbustresses? I feel Mr Ramis rolling in his grave right now.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Dragon post employing the shift key.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

This isn't really even news that they are serious about this. This is just news that they are considering it and talking about it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Yeah, but it's good to still express interest if you like it. Buzz is what they want, I bet, at least if they're floating the idea to see how it plays.

I love Ghostbusters so much, so I'm excited about this. New takes on the Ghostbusters actually work really well, so there's no reason not to spin off new Ghostbusters franchises to other cities with new squads (a common theme that works fine) or to have old 'busters retire and leave the reigns to new ones. Now that the actors are pretty heavily faded, and we've lost Ramis on top, it makes perfect sense to have a brand new team take over. If we want we can still have cameos and tie-ins with the original team. I think it'd be great. There's a bunch of great female comedians who, I think, would absolutely demolish the situation and physical comedy that comes from running around in pajamas and a hefty metal hiking pack.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

it makes perfect sense to have a brand new team take over.
Agreed and I think that's the whole plot of Ghostbusters 3.
There's a bunch of great female comedians who, I think, would absolutely demolish the situation
Yes, and hopefully they realize that. If they're serious, they will go for women who are truly and honestly funny, witty, and are talented actors. If they even hint at someone like Megan Fox, I'm brewing up a batch of Molotov Cocktails.
physical comedy that comes from running around in pajamas and a hefty metal hiking pack.
And likewise if they try to do more than the barest smidgen of T&A, I'm out as well. Nothing wrong with a funny visual in a woman with flannel PJs and bunny slippers wearing a proton pack...but it has to make sense given the context and not just done for fanservice.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I like the idea in principle, but don't really have any confidence that it would be executed well (if they actually follow through with this). It would seem to me that odds are it becomes another terrible Melissa McCarthy vehicle.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'd prefer they'd just reboot the franchise and start out with a whole new plot and a mixed Ghostbuster crew of both men and women. No need to choose one or the other.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Gender makes me no-nevermind as long as they're fucking funny. If you haven't got wit, you don't belong on the cast. Not physical comedy, not silly faces - delivery, timing, inflection.

And don't reboot. Fucking don't. Just set it in the modern day, post-OG. My opinion is that reboots can work on characters established outside of the medium of film (see: comics, literature, real life figures), but when you're re-filming a film classic, you come off as doing something wholly unnecessary and, more likely than not, end up wasting time winking at the fans of the original rather than 'telling the story from a fresh perspective'.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Pfft, no Ernie Hudson, no deal.

Still, Akroyd has been with his baby for years and if he's attached to the project in any way, I'd throw money at it. But getting the same chemistry as the original crew is going to be one huge uphill battle.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

But getting the same chemistry as the original crew is going to be one huge uphill battle.
Are you referring to on-screen chemistry or personal? I agree that since they've all been friends for decades it'll be hard to replicate that, but talented actors could still go quite well on screen even if they're relatively new to each other.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

An entirely new cast would be workable, but in terms of the movie's chances of success, attempting to ride on the Ghostbusters franchise isn't going to get them much extra mileage except a few of us fogeys whose interest might be piqued for nostalgia's sake. At the end of the day, a new flick would still have to carry itself in terms of script, plot, and the cast's competence.

Specifically regarding having a quartet of new members, I'm entirely open to the idea. I'm not sure how everyone else received it, but I remember enjoying the Extreme Ghostbusters animated series many years ago. The characters were fun, and it introduced quite a few interesting supernatural antagonists (especially the big, dangerous, recurring or multi-episode baddies).
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I agree with Lagmonster: the comedy in Ghostbusters had very little to do with physical comedy and a whole lot to do with timing and inflection. There was visual comedy - Egon and Venkman edging quietly away from Stantz and his powered-on proton pack in the elevator - but it wasn't physical.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

90% of the comedy in Ghostbusters was pretty much generated by Bill Murray making low-key, well-timed offhand comments.

"You're gonna endanger our client - the nice lady, who paid us in advance, before she became a dog..."

"Sumerian, not Babylonian";

"Yes it's true, this man has no dick", etc.

It would be really hard to replicate that kind of humor.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I think the key here would be to have enough similarities/callbacks to the original quartet, without coming across as a gender-swapped attempt at a copy of them. They can have the deadpan snarker, the science-guru, the overenthusiastic occultist, and the straightman, but mix with their associated personalities a bit. What if the hardcore scientist/guru of the bunch is the most flirtatious/amorous, and the occultist is actually kinda pessimistic? They could play with the formula, while keeping with the original spirit of what worked. Another important key is to give them strong, believable backgrounds - them being women is fine and all, but that shouldn't be the focal point of the film; Them dealing with, and making the best of the situation should be. Make them competent, and perhaps building on the experience of the original 4. What if Ghostbusting has been a sporadic, but somewhat reliable business, and some of these new generation have already been at it a few years? I just don't want this to turn into "Ghostbusters: T&A Edition".

Oh, and keep as many effects practical as possible!
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

If it's set in New York again, I wonder if they'll have some schmaltzy-cheesy-eyerolling routine with the 9/11 Dead coming in to help the Ghostbusters in the fight with the big bad in some sort of Macguire-Spider-Man "Yew mess wid us, yew mess wid all ah us" routine.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

edaw1982 wrote:If it's set in New York again, I wonder if they'll have some schmaltzy-cheesy-eyerolling routine with the 9/11 Dead coming in to help the Ghostbusters in the fight with the big bad in some sort of Macguire-Spider-Man "Yew mess wid us, yew mess wid all ah us" routine.
Oh man I hope not! Maybe they could kind of delve into some of the bigger ramifications of the dead actually rising/returning. There are at least some ghosts that are obviously the spirits of dead people, but then we get a lot of very inhuman-looking ones, (like Slimer), so it'd be interesting to explore that a little.

I could see them having Dan Akyroyd, Bill Murray, and Ernie Hudson act more in a supporting role, and hand over the reigns of the franchise.
sarevok2
Youngling

Post by sarevok2 »

edaw1982 wrote:If it's set in New York again, I wonder if they'll have some schmaltzy-cheesy-eyerolling routine with the 9/11 Dead coming in to help the Ghostbusters in the fight with the big bad in some sort of Macguire-Spider-Man "Yew mess wid us, yew mess wid all ah us" routine.
Don't give hollywood bad ideas... they will really do it ! :)

Edit: One of the ghostbusters actors is dead now so perhaps the character died in canon as well. Dealing with the ghost of a former ghostbuster seem like interesting.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Actually an idea I thought would be neat is having the ghost of Egon coming back to help with the big baddie before saying goodbye for the last time. It'd be less corny than the 9/11 spirits. :)
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Borgholio wrote:Actually an idea I thought would be neat is having the ghost of Egon coming back to help with the big baddie before saying goodbye for the last time. It'd be less corny than the 9/11 spirits. :)
That would be an awesome idea. While I have every confidence in CGI and voice-overs to accomplish this, it may be a lot of red tape with his family and estate, but I could see Akyroyd getting into it.

Having female leads the like of Megan Fox would be a farce. The first four ladies to come to mind that I could see as Ghostbusters would be the Big Bang actresses, including Raj's girlfriend. Good chemistry between them without much physical comedy, different personalities and backgrounds which still work well together facing whatever comes. I think that's what they should strive for.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Ghostbustresses?
Wearing Gostbustiers? :P
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Brings a whole new meaning to the term, Ghost"bust"...
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

TOSDOC wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Actually an idea I thought would be neat is having the ghost of Egon coming back to help with the big baddie before saying goodbye for the last time. It'd be less corny than the 9/11 spirits. :)
That would be an awesome idea. While I have every confidence in CGI and voice-overs to accomplish this, it may be a lot of red tape with his family and estate, but I could see Akyroyd getting into it.
That could be also super-cheeze, depending on how they handle it. Compare with the mental image of 3,000 enraged New Yawker ghosts on fire dive-bombing the Big Bad.
TOSDOC wrote:Having female leads the like of Megan Fox would be a farce. The first four ladies to come to mind that I could see as Ghostbusters would be the Big Bang actresses, including Raj's girlfriend. Good chemistry between them without much physical comedy, different personalities and backgrounds which still work well together facing whatever comes. I think that's what they should strive for.
This is a great idea. The actresses, not the BBT characters, that is. They've definitely got the chops and the chemistry. I'd cast them thusly:

The Venkman: Definitely Melissa Rauch, just because I want to see her as the sexually-aggressive charmer for my own gratification. Bernadette is basically an impersonation of her mom, according to her; she can do a wide range of voices, and features impersonations in her stand-up work.

The Stantz: Kate Micucci, because she would totally nail the anxiety-ridden, chain-smoking engineer / mechanic.

The Spengler: Mayim Bialik, of course. The solid intellectual who maintains a sense of humor in the face of cosmic horror.

The Zedmore: Kaley Cuoco, as the movie-hot version of the working-class hero / audience POV character pulling down eleven-five a year (or whatever is minimally legal in New York now).

The Melnitz: Sara Gilbert as the sharp, lusty receptionist on the prowl. You can keep the sexual tension with Bialik if it floats your boat; it's the teens.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Katie Dippold selected to write the script.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ter-738556
Katie Dippold, who wrote Paul Feig’s female buddy action comedy The Heat, is reteaming with the director for Sony's new Ghostbusters movie.

Dippold has been tapped to co-write the script with Feig for the long-gestating third installment.

After years of development as a sequel with the intent to bring back the original team (Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray and Harold Ramis), script setbacks eventually shifted the focus to a new generation (think Jonah Hill). Ramis died earlier this year and then original director Ivan Reitman left in March.

Feig came on board to rejuvenate the project in August, with a twist: the Ghostbusters would now be a female team, and the project would launch a new series instead of being connected to the earlier movies.

Feig is already seen as female-friendly in comic circles; he directed Bridesmaids (which gave Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy career breakouts) and then The Heat, which starred McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.

Dippold’s hiring will buttress the female voice as the script is overhauled. She recently finished penning a sequel for The Heat and previously honed her comedic voice working on NBC’s Parks and Recreation as well as MadTV.

It is unclear at this stage if this will be Feig's next movie. Feig and his Feigco Entertainment partner Jessie Henderson will executive produce. Reitman will serve as producer.

Dippold is repped by WME and 3 Arts Entertainment.

Feig later confirmed the news in a tweet.