WWZ

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: WWZ

Post by Purple »

biostem wrote:
Purple wrote:
biostem wrote:A few nice heavy trucks w/ plows on the front should suffice. Cordon off an area w/ a few semi trailer shipping crates, position guys w/ guns on top of them, and let them clear them out, or just pour gas and set them ablaze - use the trucks w/ plows to push the zombies into said area.
I think using fire in that way would be a bad idea. Fire has a nasty tendency to spread to stuff you don't want to burn.

Even then, just setup a firing line. Alternative, you could just have the plows smush the zombies against one wall of the "canyon" you created w/ the shipping crates.
Or you could just get an elevated position, preferably something like a watch tower with ladders you can retract so that they can't climb up. Put a small generator, a stereo system and loudspeakers up there. Mount a machine gun or two chambered in anything as making ammo is not that hard and fire away until they die.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

Instead of a fixed grinder, you could always go with one of these

Not sure what the deal is arguing that wood chippers/car shredders aren't viable. If you can't lure/trap/prod the Z's into them that's one thing, but they'd work very well for the task and are readily available. I'm pretty sure a few big-box stores carry chippers, and any good equipment rental facility should have a couple lying around. Not to mention any forest-service center/shop, most lawncare companies, the previously mentioned junkyards, likely recycling centers and dumps, farms...

Also, even the tiny ones are considered extremely dangerous. When operating one you aren't supposed to let your hands come anywhere near the opening where the chipper is, as it will grind them into pulp. So I'd think *any* available, operable, chippers/grinders would work for the task once you remove the safety housing; obviously using more if they're smaller. Actually, same deal with lawnmowers, which are located (often by the 2's and 3's) in every garage in America. I'd probably feel better standing in a firing line if it was faced with lawnmowers to deal with anything that got close.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

For all the effort that it takes you to find one of those, make them operable and than actually use them to kill things you could just manufacture a bunch of primitive land mines, fill a warehouse full of them and draw the zombies into doom.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

...or do what the book did and use trained barking dogs to lure zombies of cliffs, high buildings, and into other kill sones
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Gaidin wrote:
Cykeisme wrote:Why are you still going on aboud building the car-eating mauls and maintaining them?

Patroklos has already made it clear there's plenty of them sitting all over junkyards in major cities.

You don't seem to understand that, for a device that crushes 450 cars an hour into scrap, the wear on its mechanism from continuously shoving tons of zombies into it is practically indistinguishable from shoving nothing into it. It won't even notice.
Because it's system is more than it's mechanism and you have to add to it to make it useful for what he wants to do with it, as I explained above. Thanks for not reading.
My response was brief and didn't address yours point by point, because Patroklos' post before your long post addresses all of them.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Purple wrote:For all the effort that it takes you to find one of those, make them operable and than actually use them to kill things you could just manufacture a bunch of primitive land mines, fill a warehouse full of them and draw the zombies into doom.
Landmines just make the problem worse, because now you've got a legless zombie crawling along the ground, which is harder to spot until it's too late.

Which actually leads me to the biggest complaint I had with the book. The zombies don't act like they're made of flesh and blood, and in fact don't make a whole lot of physical sense. I mean, to give Brooks credit he's consistent about it; many elements of Yonkers make a lot more sense when a later chapter gives us roving packs of zombies lurching along the bottom of the ocean under four or five miles of water, some of which have been down there for months or even years. (Even he had to half-heartedly hang a lampshade on just how absurd this was.)

These aren't Romero-type zombies, they're severely brain-damaged Twilight vampires. And yet this is supposed to be a 'realistic', 100% supernatural-free take on zombie fiction!
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

You guys realize those crushers and such are going to be louder when they're operating than any sound system you could set up, right?
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

I think people are talking past each other as regards book zombies and utterly shite movie zombies.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW