SF Reading List For Adolescents

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SF Reading List For Adolescents

Post by Simon_Jester »

I know perfectly well he'll understand it, I just don't know HIM that well. For that matter, I'm not entirely sure he does; I get the feeling his mental horizons are a bit cramped by circumstances.

One of the reasons I appreciate the response I'm getting is that it's scattershot enough to actually be helpful- if I just ran off a list of stuff I liked when I was his age it wouldn't be representative at all.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Fair enough.

When I was in high school I devoured a shelf-full of William Sleator short books (interstellar pig, the boy who reversed himself, singularity, the duplicate, the boxes, etc.) They're short and probably pitched more for bright middle-schoolers than high school, but they're short, interesting and entertaining.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Some of my former students really dug Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Those same kids liked Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, so there are my two cents.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Some more fantasy I'd recommend:
  • The Witcher by Andrzej Sapkowski. The books are just as good as the games if not better. The first three are available in English and the fourth will be out in June IIRC.
  • On a sillier note, I had a good time reading Discworld: Thief of Time.
  • The True Game by Sheri S. Tepper.
  • The Year of Rogue Dragons by Richard Lee Byers. Good intro to the Forgotten Realms setting that doesn't require a whole lot of prior knowledge.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

Surprised no one has recommended the Forever War yet. I read it when I was slightly older in my life, but one of my good friends read it around 16 and was I think changed by a lot of the themes that are discussed within it. Helps that it has some interesting actions sequences.

March Upcountry series might be a good start for a serialized sci-fi series. Perhaps not a great discussion of heavy ideas but has some fun things going on and doesn't bog down and get bad as a lot of long-runners do. Helps that it is mostly focused on one planet.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well since a) Fantasy and b) Discworld are already in the game, I'll just throw in the entirety of the Discworld series, as well as The Carpet People and the Nome trilogy. Also, HHGTTG (except the 4th book which stunk) and the Dirk Gently novels by Adams.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'