I'm a contestant on "The Next Great Starship"! -Star Citizen

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Re: I'm a contestant on "The Next Great Starship"! -Star Cit

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Yeah, the upside to being a one man band is that "a camel is a horse that was designed by committee."
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Is TRUE your team name? I can't tell since I can't hear but I assume it's your team name since you did say to go to the 20 min mark on the original video.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Zhe German one iz a marvel.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Enigma wrote:Is TRUE your team name? I can't tell since I can't hear but I assume it's your team name since you did say to go to the 20 min mark on the original video.
Team name is Cryo. A little after 20min.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I dunno, Thanas...the forward 60% of the german gun is pretty kickass, but the judges are right, the rear section is...fugly.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Hmm. Some decent pieces, but nothing quite as strong as the best of the second episode, I think.

EDIT: Oh my... *laughs* Look at the voting for the wildcard, that's not even CLOSE. Just as well; InfiniteXueMonkey would have been in already had that eleventh-hour addition not knocked them into the wildcard.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Shimipan's is actually my favorite gun in the contest, and their's was in episode 3.

And yeah, monkey's were fresh on people's minds when voting opened. Made all the difference. Pity. I'd have liked Stars and Beyond to make it through.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

I really liked Raging Vertex's design, but their execution just did not seem on par with some of the other wildcards.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Man, you weren't joking about Alaskan internet.

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

That's why I go by "Fuzzy Modem". Used to be "Shitty Modem" back in 1998 when I connected at 13.3k, but no one would play Star Craft with me, so I changed it.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The Tri-Tri design is looking pretty nice; I especially like the Constellation influences on the aft thruster pods.

The 1-Bit Amoeba entry is veeery nice, love the hullform and the Retaliator-style thrust pods.

It's a shame the Catapult concept art is so dreck, because I actually really like the shape of the hull. Ah well, flush -- man, the devs ripped that one up.

Oooh, Skyguard... Daaaaaamn, that's a sexy beast. Unsurprising, given how badass his deathcannon was. That is gonna be a really hard one to argue with, and something I'd very much want to buy in-game.

Man, you juuuuust skated in. I'll be honest, man, I really don't like yours much this time around. Maybe you can turn it around later, but very little in your entry speaks to me. In particular, the asymmetry felt really forced, like a lot of the older EVE Online designs that were asymmetrical because the designers desperately wanted to be asymmetrical, not because there was a great reason for them to be so.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Maybe it will look better modeled and rendered, but the 1-Bit Amoeba entry looked good from every angle but the front. I think that's likely just the grey scale not allowing for much perspective.

Fuzzy, I think the main thing that I would work on in your design, is pulling the central cockpit engine area together. It looks like there are some gaps there, and it might look better as a more solid shape. I also wonder how that missile pod on the sword side could be used in an engagement where you're trying to keep the shield facing the enemy. It seems to me that perhaps your design might benefit from showing how it might fight front on as well as how it would fight shield on.

Now I'm not skilled enough to get anywhere near this sort of concept, but I wonder how a sort Me 410 style design would translate into a starship. A main central crew area with a light nose mounted turret weapon with engines and heavier fixed weapons on the engine pods.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

When I first saw the weapon pod on the sword side, I immediately thought "B-wing," so I had to laugh when CR said the same thing. The shield side profile reminded me of the Stribe cruiser from Babylon 5. I did not care for your ship as much as some of the others, but I want to see where you go with the design, so I am glad you are still in it.
Jub wrote:I also wonder how that missile pod on the sword side could be used in an engagement where you're trying to keep the shield facing the enemy. It seems to me that perhaps your design might benefit from showing how it might fight front on as well as how it would fight shield on.
I was assuming you used the shield to help even the odds if you were outnumbered. Face it toward one hostile while firing on others. Or fly shield-first toward a ship you want to board that is still putting out defensive fire.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Rekkon wrote: I was assuming you used the shield to help even the odds if you were outnumbered. Face it toward one hostile while firing on others.
This.

I now have three flavors of the concept. RSI, which is closest to the 2nd version, but still needs to be tweaked to look more like the Aurora and Connie, Consolidated Outland, which takes the asymmetry to the extreme, and Kruger Intergalactic which is bilaterally symmetrical, with shields on either side.

I'll be putting overpainted 3D renders of all three, plus ortho schematics, thruster demonstrations, and a few surprises in my next submission video.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Just resigned from one of my jobs. Will have more time for the contest now...
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

So you are the anti-Catapult? :lol:
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Rekkon wrote:So you are the anti-Catapult? :lol:
lol
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Whatever else comes from this contest, the level of participation and quality are so far above STO's contest that it's not even funny. Except, no, it kinda is.

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

White Haven wrote:Whatever else comes from this contest, the level of participation and quality are so far above STO's contest that it's not even funny. Except, no, it kinda is.
Tru dat.

Two hints about my secret weapon: It's stored in an aircraft hanger and draws more than 10 kilowatts of power.

Editing my second contest submission video now...
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

White Haven wrote:Whatever else comes from this contest, the level of participation and quality are so far above STO's contest that it's not even funny. Except, no, it kinda is.
Well, when you offer the winner $30K that kinda brings participants with more than decent skills. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Enigma wrote:
Well, when you offer the winner $30K that kinda brings participants with more than decent skills. :)
Yeah, but a canon Enterprise is waaaay bigger bragging rights, though don't tell C.R. I said so.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Unless they use it in a T.V. series, meh. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Trouble with STO's contest (and the reason they won't be doing any more of them) is that CBS overrode the vote, vetoing the actual winner and installing the runner-up as the Odyssey-class. Cue massive (and deserved, IMHO) flame war. I don't think that'll be much of an issue here since the judges and the rights holders are one and the same.

More recently they seem to have used one of the other runners-up as the basis for the Avenger-class.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.