Robocop 2014

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Robocop 2014

Post by TheHammer »

Looks interesting, and has some star power in the cast. I wish they'd cast someone with a better voice as robocop, or had him dubbed by Peter Weller. His voice here seems to lack any sort of authority or intimidation factor. To me that voice is iconic as Darth Vader's. Having someone other than Weller just never sounded right.

Oh well, hopefully the movie is entertaining.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Robocop 2014

Post by Crazedwraith »

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Doesn't make it any less cool. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Yeah the trailer isn't new, but I just posted for sake of discussion since they've started advertising on network television.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I missed this when watching the trailer originally and maybe this is nostalgia talking but why does the new Robocop look like he's wearing power armor and Peter Weller looked like a fucking Robot Cop? Did they put the entirety of what was laying in the hospital bed into a Darth Vader suit? There was something even more horrifying about Murphy fighting for his humanity considering he was a brain and face in a robot shell (like Full conversion Borgs in RIFTS). It's harder to empathize if this guy is still 90% human wearing power armor.

There are more than a few "give-aways" on the Weller costume that make it look like he's a robot. The way the arms attach, how it's raised up above the shoulder (and rounded), and the "bolts" on the exterior shoulder: it looks and moves like a mechanical joint. Even the face looked like it was stretched over a mechanical skull when his faceguard was off. The entire waist section of the original suit moved unnaturally when Murphy walked even more so than his mechanical gait would allow. His hand folded and contorted in numerous ways when his "hack/stab" needle came out.

Prop makers tried a lot fucking harder back in the day.

New Robocop looks like Batman and I've already had to sit through 2 shitty Batman movies in the past few years.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Who wants to place bets that his right hand gets chopped off by the end of the movie?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I find it entertaining that if Rand Paul gets his way, the original plot of Robocop will actually have come true. (Inner city Detroit sold off to private investors).
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

TheFeniX wrote:I missed this when watching the trailer originally and maybe this is nostalgia talking but why does the new Robocop look like he's wearing power armor and Peter Weller looked like a fucking Robot Cop?
I'd wager they're trying to be reminiscent of Iron Man.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

In the original movie, Murphy got completely butchered but the trailer gives away the fact they are going for a family friendly interpretation.
This time he has burns to his body and is 'paralyzed from the waist down' by a car bomb which will be a pretty explosion without any of the potency of the original.

I really do not like the black look they are going for but from the various media sources it appears two suits are going to be in use for this film. One of them is the black, the other is the silver which is at least closer to the original as you are likely to get.
I suspect they will stick to keeping it more like a suit because bulking it up costs extra they will be spending on CGI.

One hopes the silver look is the final product rather than the black but I am not getting my hopes up for this film being a flashy action flick with cameos.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

PREDATOR490 wrote:In the original movie, Murphy got completely butchered but the trailer gives away the fact they are going for a family friendly interpretation.
This time he has burns to his body and is 'paralyzed from the waist down' by a car bomb which will be a pretty explosion without any of the potency of the original.
What? You can clearly see him missing an arm and a leg in the trailer. Just skip to 0:52.

The premise of a veteran who is given the opportunity to return to active duty through prosthetics is one that interests me - I actually wrote a short story along those lines recently. I'm just not sure I'm interested in seeing that idea as applied to a Robocop remake.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Grumman wrote:What? You can clearly see him missing an arm and a leg in the trailer. Just skip to 0:52.
By "family friendly interpretation" he probably means "not held down and blown apart by shotguns at point blank range in a highly personal and sadistic manner", y'know, like happened in Robocop.

Because y'know, PG-13.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Vendetta wrote:
Grumman wrote:What? You can clearly see him missing an arm and a leg in the trailer. Just skip to 0:52.
By "family friendly interpretation" he probably means "not held down and blown apart by shotguns at point blank range in a highly personal and sadistic manner", y'know, like happened in Robocop.

Because y'know, PG-13.
Robocop originally seemed like a movie I'd want to see rebooted, because well special effects had advanced so far since the original. But now I'm not so sure that I do given that it seems like we're looking at a watered down version that pales compared to the original in every way except perhaps those CGI driven special effects.

But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

The new film looks like ass. It particularly shits me that the cool and smart Officer Lewis has been replaced by a man who dies, leaving the major female presence in the film to a weepy wife cliche trying to get the cold protagonist to feel again.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Grumman wrote: What? You can clearly see him missing an arm and a leg in the trailer. Just skip to 0:52.

The premise of a veteran who is given the opportunity to return to active duty through prosthetics is one that interests me - I actually wrote a short story along those lines recently. I'm just not sure I'm interested in seeing that idea as applied to a Robocop remake.
It's not just the idea of Robocop they're toying with to boot. They're trying to make they're own relative idea as well. It's mostly Robocop, but it's slightly modified. He still knows he's Murphy to an extent that I can tell. The whole idea of 'if he survives' is there. I think he does. There's the whole idea of of the illusion of free will thrown in there instead of the idea of the first movie where Murphy flat out dies and they build a robot out of him, and he slowly recovers memory.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

That latest trailer doesn't make the movie look any better.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Oh look, more CGI bullshit and over the top stunts involving lots of CGI bullshit with obvious family friendly violence / drama.
The more they show, the more it looks like this is going to flop massively and the lack of advertising would indicate this is going to die a silent death.

To which I say: Let it burn
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Mild thread necro here:

Has anyone seen it yet? The reviews I've looked at made it sound mediocre at best, and it sounds like the movie is going to finish well behind the Lego Movie at the U.S. box office this weekend, although it seems to be doing slightly better internationally. Personally, I've no interest in seeing it; of all the 80s action movies that I thought could have used a remake, Robocop was pretty low on the list. I re-watched the original the other night and it's held up surprisingly well after all these years.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

I think, based on my reading around, that we can chalk Robocop as another remake that didn't understand what was good about the original and didn't dare take the risks that paid off the first time.

Whatevs, hope isn't lost. Go see Dredd and pretend it's about a robot.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'm going to see it this afternoon. I have some hope because all the bad reviews have been from fatasses who I hate. I'll give my opinions once I get home.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Strike that, gonna have to go Wednesday. Fucking tripped and rug burned my arm and only got an hour of sleep tonight. That makes a total of about 12 hours in the last week.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I thought it was pretty decent actually. The plot fell apart a bit at the end - Omnicorp (a division of OCP!) deciding to kill Murphy felt very rushed and it wasn't sold to the audience as well as it could have been - this was something the original did far better by making it a matter of just Dick Jones' corruption.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Did they keep all the hilarious "CAPITALISM!" skit commercials? I've been wanting a 6000 SUX since I was 5.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Did they keep all the hilarious "CAPITALISM!" skit commercials? I've been wanting a 6000 SUX since I was 5.
You get Samuel L. Jackson as 'Not Bill O'Reilly' on NotFoxNews instead.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Overall I thought it was a pretty good movie. There were a few points that I found kinda silly:
Spoiler
test