Michael Ansara (Kang and Mr Freeze from DCAU) has died,

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Michael Ansara (Kang and Mr Freeze from DCAU) has died,

Post by Crazedwraith »

:(
The Variety wrote: Michael Ansara, perhaps best known for his role as Kang on “Star Trek,” died in his Calabasas, Calif. home on July 31 following a prolonged illness. He was 91.

Ansara played the Klingon commander on three different “Star Trek” TV series: the original “Star Trek” (1968), “Deep Space Nine” (1994) and “Voyager” (1996). He is beloved by fans of the franchise for being one of just seven actors to play the same character on three versions of the skein.

Ansara is also remembered for his starring role of the Chiricahua Apache chief Cochise on the TV series “Broken Arrow.” The popular series was considered groundbreaking when it premiered in 1958, as it was one of few westerns to portray Native Americans in a positive light.

Despite being of Syrian descent, Ansara continued to be cast in Native American roles. He played another Apache, Deputy U.S. Marshal Sam Buckhart, on the Peacock’s 1959 series “Law of the Plainsman.” His Buckhart character was again introduced in two episodes of another western at the Alphabet, “The Rifleman.”

“After that series I went two years without working at all,” Ansara remembered in a 1979 interview. “If you play one thing [in his case, a Native American], and you play it well, they would type you, and it would be difficult to get other roles.”

Ansara also played major roles in such films as 1953′s “Julius Caesar” and “The Robe,” 1955′s “Jupiter’s Darling” with Esther Williams; 1961′s “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea” (he also appeared in the spin-off TV series) and “The Comancheros” with John Wayne; ”The Greatest Story Ever Told” (1965); “Guns of the Magnificent Seven” (1969); “The Bears and I” (1974); “The Message” (1977); and “It’s Alive” (1974).

Born in Syria, Ansara came to the U.S. with his American parents at the age of 2. When he attended Los Angeles City College he had intentions of becoming a doctor, but a foray into the drama department stole his attention.

Ansara went on to work at the Pasadena Playhouse, where his fellow students included Charles Bronson, Carolyn Jones and Aaron Spelling, before going on to lead roles on stage and screen.

Ansara’s many TV appearances also included “The Untouchables,” “Alfred Hitchcock Presents,” “Perry Mason,” “The Outer Limits,” “Lost in Space,” “I Dream of Jeannie” (with his then wife, Barbara Eden) and “Hawaii Five-0″. He also voiced the part of Mr. Freeze on the animated “Batman” series.

Ansara was married to “I Dream of Jeannie’s” Barbara Eden from 1958-1974. Together, they had a son, Michael Matthew Ansara. The junior Ansara, also an actor, died in 2001 of an accidental heroin overdose. He was 35.

Ansara is survived by Beverly, his wife of 36 years, his sister, Rose Browers, niece Michelle Browers Lamey and nephew Michael John Browers.
RIP
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: Michael Ansara (Kang) has died,

Post by Kuja »

Quite a resume. 91 is a good run, too. RIP
JADAFETWA
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Kang and Viktor Fries will both be missed. Ultimately they both fought the good fight in their respective series.

Goodbye Mr Ansara.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

This thread deserves more recognition. Mr Ansara did a lot of good work and played characters loved beyond Star Trek.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Alyeska wrote:This thread deserves more recognition. Mr Ansara did a lot of good work and played characters loved beyond Star Trek.
He will be missed. I don't remember him as Kang but as Mr Freeze, the role that changed that villain's portrayal to the positive. Before BtAS he was just another lame cold based villain, post BtAS he became what he is today, the scientist trapped by his own condition trying to recover a woman he can never have. And Ansara sold it so well by playing him so cold, no pun intended but he's almost perfectly monotone except when speaking of Nora. Even when he's enraged at Batman it's a cold simmering rage.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Michael Ansara (Kang and Mr Freeze from DCAU) has died,

Post by Alyeska »

Viktor Fries was always a tragic villain in the DCAU. He was just as often an ally with Batman as he was a villain. They made good use of the character to develop needed depth. And Ansara did a masterful job portraying someone in a living hell, a frozen hell.

Ansara's mark on Viktor Fries will not be soon forgotten. The character as portrayed in Arkham City had all the hallmarks of the character portrayed by Ansara.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Damm. We've lost Kang and Mr. Freeze, too. :cry:
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I also remember him as the definition of a Technomage in Babylon 5.

B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

He had great presence. I remember him as Cochise, Kang and Elric.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I'm still angry that Freeze's arc in BtaS ended with him becoming a bitter, mean-spirited troll who pettily destroyed other people's dreams like a pathetic schoolyard bully (o yeah, and him becoming just a head was stupid as well). I thought that was a particularly bad note to end the whole story on.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Metahive wrote:I'm still angry that Freeze's arc in BtaS ended with him becoming a bitter, mean-spirited troll who pettily destroyed other people's dreams like a pathetic schoolyard bully (o yeah, and him becoming just a head was stupid as well). I thought that was a particularly bad note to end the whole story on.
I thought his appearance in Batman Beyond tried (and succeeded) in fixing that a bit.

That said, I cannot believe I never realized Ansara voiced Mr. Freeze until now.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)