Space Battleship Yamato 2199

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Parallax
Jedi Knight

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Post by Parallax »

For those who don't know, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is a remake of the original Yamato series from the 1970s. Most of the details are the same but the animation is no longer as dodgy and the plot tends to make slightly more sense. Episodes are still being released and I've only watched up to episode 6 so far.

2199 has some interesting additions and changes to the Yamato, however, that goes beyond just the cosmetic.

Wave Motion Shields. The Yamato now packs a form of energy shield, which can be activated for twenty minute periods. The Gamilon energy cannon on Pluto could penetrate the shields but they still seemed to reduce damage taken.

The Wave Motion Gun, when first fired, was intended to just destroy a Gamilon Base located on a floating continent in Jupiter's atmosphere. Instead, it blew up the entire continent which is said to be 'nearly the size of Australia'.

Upon reaching Pluto, they chose not to use the WMG to destroy the Gamilon base there in fear they'd destroy the entire Dwarf Planet and not just the base (based on what happened at Jupiter).

Bottom facing AA missiles/defences. During the battle at Pluto, the Yamato was damaged and forced to land in Pluto's (terraformed) oceans. It went upside-down at one point so it could fire missiles from the bottom of it's hull at orbiting reflective satellites.

The Main Cannons can have different ammunition. They can either be in 'shock cannon' mode wherein they're tired to the Wave Motion Engine and rip through Gamilon ships like paper or, in case of energy problems, be very quickly switch to 'Type 3' ammunition which looks like firing some kind of shells (certainly not energy based). This change seems to take almost no time at all, which is a little odd.

The way the Wave Motion Gun works is kind of explained ... though in a manner that makes no sense. Basically, it seems to generate micro-black holes and then directs the resulting energy forward. Or something. Hawking Radiation was mentioned. Or maybe it was lousy sub-title work.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...sounds interesting. I never watched the original Yamato so this might be a chance to rectify that.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Something like this:

Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I tried watching the Star Blazers dub on Hulu about two years back, but I just couldn't get past the ridiculously dated animation. The story, characters, etc. all seemed sound, but it just looked so shitty that I couldn't get through an episode in one sitting. Seeing the same basic plot with updated animation might be interesting.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Do yourselves a favour: watch those clips SAMAS linked with the Translate Captions function turned on and translating to English. It's comedy gold.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Do yourselves a favour: watch those clips SAMAS linked with the Translate Captions function turned on and translating to English. It's comedy gold.
"Finally, if the disease is fashionable."

Also, something about a Belgian cyclist praying to Christina Aguilera.

Seriously though, that is some nice animation.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Now those are some big-ass bombs:

Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You know people can just watch the show y'know. They're up to episode 14 and all.

I'm surprised by the actual auteur/scifi episodes, as opposed to the remake episodes. They've also kept in mind that basically everyone watching it knows the truth about Iscandar and the Gamilons too, which is good. A lot of content is added to the old show; it's significantly better than a simple remake.

And all the 70s shit is amazing. The hair, the intro theme, the 70s action music, it's awesome. The only downside to the show is that the women wear plug suits for basically no reason but fanservice.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Stark wrote:You know people can just watch the show y'know. They're up to episode 14 and all.
Well, if you know where to find subbed versions ... I'm all ears.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

SAMAS wrote:Now those are some big-ass bombs:
You know those go a bit beyonfd "big" and into OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY??

I mean those "bombs" looked to be 10 to 20km in size, that is bigger then the freaking Executor.
I cannot imagine the amount of material needed to construct just one of those things, and it looked like they dropped a dozen or more!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
SAMAS wrote:Now those are some big-ass bombs:
You know those go a bit beyonfd "big" and into OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY??

I mean those "bombs" looked to be 10 to 20km in size, that is bigger then the freaking Executor.
I cannot imagine the amount of material needed to construct just one of those things, and it looked like they dropped a dozen or more!
Maybe that's your answer? I haven't watched SBY yet so I can't comment on the psychology or approach of the enemy, but what was shown there would be as much about psychology as it is practicality. I mean think about it. They can waste that much material to just destroy planets, when there are much easier methods to do so. IT shows the scale of industry and resources they have to throw around like that... 'so don't mess with us, or else.' I mean the fact they were spinning or drilling kinda points ot that too.. its more about appearances than efficiency, which is a subjective (human) assessment. Its not like they jsut used those bombs or drills or whatever they were, either.

The Death star and most Star Wars superweapons are of a similar mindset. Not the most efficient use of resources or technology ofr the purpose it achieves, but it has a certain psychological factor as well (OMG LOOK AT THE RESOURCES USED.) In some ways those bombs are actually worse, since they may not be resusable, whereas the Death Star can be refulled and rebuilt. And those bombs are probalby mass production, whereas the Death STar.. isn't. (maybe it could be, but we never see much evidence of this in the SW fluff.)

At a rough guess they'd maybe be a trillion tons apiece and the KE alone from the planet's gravity would impart teratons.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Parallax wrote:Well, if you know where to find subbed versions ... I'm all ears.
The BDs have english subs. I guess they finally learned?

And they'd dropped 102 asteroids on Earth, but who knows if they'd used the actual cog-powered bombs before. Yamato detonates one at relatively short range (maybe a kilometer, difficult to scale because the bomb never gets a scale) and causes a gigantic explosion.

Of course, Yamato is unharmed, being the embodiment of human hope and identity.

And there's a good chance Connor is right; the cog bomb was aimed specifically at Yamato before it was launched, and they knew the humans were living under the surface. Using actual bombs was probably due to recognition that asteroids might create fallout and destroy the environment but weren't efficient at destroying the underground cities, and perhaps lacked the accuracy required.

I mean, Yamato was on the surface of the seabed, but they are aliens. Poor Zaltzians.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

ACtually I like the idea of 'striking underground colonies' better than what I proposed, since its quite likely they are making deliberate 'deep penetrator' doom-asteorid analogue or something. Although its still quite possible the resource expenditure and method is also meant to show off how powerful they are and how much in the way of resources they have.

Sort of in terms of like 'Yes, we can waste this much energy and resources on giant drill doom bombs. You don't want to fuck with us.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Their Pluto base was using a beam weapon to direct Kuiper Belt Objects towards earth, so who knows how many of these bombs they even had. They might not use them generally because it would interfere with the Gamilasforming of Earth.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Man I'm going to have a field day when I watch SBY and/or the remake. CALCS AHOY!
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

We know I'll get through it. The question is how many months it will take! :P
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Connor MacLeod wrote:Man I'm going to have a field day when I watch SBY and/or the remake. CALCS AHOY!
Someone needs to take a screenshot of the image at 2:02 on that youtube clip for a pic of the "ScrewBomb" right before it hits the city.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I thought it was a suitably horrifying scene.. witnessing those people getting killed and destroyed in the bombs, having to watch with horror as their doom descends. Its a particular sort of nastiness you have to admire for the sheer horror and psychological fuckery it entails as well as the sheer resources thrown at it.

Also those bombs make those huge devastating impacts, and are at least partly intact. STrong materials too :P
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

There was a ton of shit going on there. Those beam attack drone/satellites bombarding the shit out of the planet, the fighter bombers strafing, etc.

I'm like 99% sure that all this shit is being done just to amuse the guy drinking the tea. And he's probably sitting there with a smirk drinking his tea (or wahtever it is) while the entire planet burns.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Connor MacLeod wrote:I thought it was a suitably horrifying scene.. witnessing those people getting killed and destroyed in the bombs, having to watch with horror as their doom descends. Its a particular sort of nastiness you have to admire for the sheer horror and psychological fuckery it entails as well as the sheer resources thrown at it.

Also those bombs make those huge devastating impacts, and are at least partly intact. STrong materials too :P
Yeah the speed at which they fall is "Just" slow enough so the population really REALLY knows just how fucked it is.
It really is quite the nasty Terror weapon...

And oh yes it is quite tough. Millions upon millions of tons of force and almost half of the "Bomb" is still fully intact, meanwhile the average Asteroid upon impact is liquidated in less then a second.

Have to say it really ups the "ruthless bastard" aspect of these aliens.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Yeah the speed at which they fall is "Just" slow enough so the population really REALLY knows just how fucked it is. It really is quite the nasty Terror weapon...
slow is relative. I think the speed is deceptive given how utterly huge they seem to be. I mean tens of km long at least, if not wide, and they're moving through the atmosphre at kilometres per second easily. km/s is not trivial in terms of speed, but it would LOOK subjectively slow given the huge size of the projectiles.

What's more they have engines in the back, so they seem to be reaction-driven. That means the actual energy involved to push those doom bullets is actually much GREATER than what the impact would imply, especially since something that big will need some very powerful engines.

And oh yes it is quite tough. Millions upon millions of tons of force and almost half of the "Bomb" is still fully intact, meanwhile the average Asteroid upon impact is liquidated in less then a second.
I just pulld that number as a pure guess out of my ass. I'd have to do a more thorough analysis of the scene to hash it out, because there's always problems or quirks in visuals that can futz that up. I'm not even sure those are fireballs for example Fire-hemispheres maybe. :P

Have to say it really ups the "ruthless bastard" aspect of these aliens.
I think the guy really needs a monocole to pull of 'classy evil' though. Monocles always go with tea.