New some help with canon nBSG material for a new story

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

masterarminas
Jedi Master

New some help with canon nBSG material for a new story

Post by masterarminas »

Okay, I am working on a new story, starting out in the universe of nBSG. I have come to the realization though that there are few hard facts available for the ship I am planning on using: a Battlestar of the Valkyrie type.

Here is what I have so far (based on pictures here):

Length: approx 700 meters
Armament: 33 heavy dual gun turrets, 20 medium dual gun turrets, unknown number of point defense batteries, minimum of 6 ship-to-ship or ship-to-surface missiles.
Crew: Unknown
Viper/Raptor Capacity: Unknown

Not a lot of information to go on. So, I need to mine the depths of this site for info, technical and otherwise. Tell me all that I should know about BSG (nBSG in particular) before I start posting my story . . . please?

LOL, and let me say thanks to all of you for the assist here.

Master Arminas
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Re: New some help with canon nBSG material for a new story

Post by Kingmaker »

I don't want to be a dick, but maybe you ought to make at least a first pass at doing some of your own research before asking other people to do it for you. Especially since the single detail you give us is very little to go on as far as what information you need.

The show's wiki might be a good place to start.

And I wouldn't get too hung up on canon anyway.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

What do you need to know in specific ?

While far from an authority I watched every single episode of the show and once planned to make a site talking about the technical side of Galactica. So you can ask me anything you need and I will try to dig up an answer.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I know you like to have everything technically correct in your stories but I wouldn't worry so much about the minutiae and focus on the story you want to tell.

On the other hand, you're doing an nBSG story? Awesome!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
masterarminas
Jedi Master

Post by masterarminas »

Kingmaker wrote:I don't want to be a dick, but maybe you ought to make at least a first pass at doing some of your own research before asking other people to do it for you. Especially since the single detail you give us is very little to go on as far as what information you need.

The show's wiki might be a good place to start.

And I wouldn't get too hung up on canon anyway.
I have already been there and the information (hard information) on the Valkyrie type Battlestar is scanty, to say the least. So, I figured, what is the harm in asking?

MA
masterarminas
Jedi Master

Post by masterarminas »

Sarevok wrote:What do you need to know in specific ?

While far from an authority I watched every single episode of the show and once planned to make a site talking about the technical side of Galactica. So you can ask me anything you need and I will try to dig up an answer.
1. Do we have any idea of how many crew a Valkyrie-type Battlestar requires?

2. Viper/Raptor complement? The Galactica-type carries 80 Vipers and somewhere around 20 Raptors (40/10 in each flight pod). The Mercury-class (ala Pegasus) have twice the complement. But the Valkyrie is just 700 meters in overall length (the Galactica is 1438 meters, and the Pegasus is 1790 meters).

3. Any other information that you think I need to know to write the story. :)

MA
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Not having time to post a large comment.

1) Did you notice her launch bays seem to be pointing 'forward' from under the hangar pods? (Those triangles viewable in some images)

2)Those 'Spines' / 'Pointy things' on her prow. Are they guns or some sort of antenna array? I can't quite make my mind up. Some images with the shading and all make them seem like antennas. Other views they seem to look like cannon barrels.

3) She's small...hence probably 'fast' and likely maneuverable. So a type of 'Scout-Star'?

More thoughts and comments when i have more time.

Also, very nice images on that site...Just to look at :)

much cheers to all.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Dass.Kapital wrote:Not having time to post a large comment.

1) Did you notice her launch bays seem to be pointing 'forward' from under the hangar pods? (Those triangles viewable in some images)

2)Those 'Spines' / 'Pointy things' on her prow. Are they guns or some sort of antenna array? I can't quite make my mind up. Some images with the shading and all make them seem like antennas. Other views they seem to look like cannon barrels.

3) She's small...hence probably 'fast' and likely maneuverable. So a type of 'Scout-Star'?

More thoughts and comments when i have more time.

Also, very nice images on that site...Just to look at :)

much cheers to all.
The show's wiki states that the Valkyrie is only 700 metres long (about the size of one of the Galactica's flight pods). EAch of the Valkyries flight pods has three launch tubes oriented forwards on the underside of the pod. SHe carries an unknown but undoubtably smaller complement. Given the size and number of tubes I would hazard a guess she only carries 20-30 vipers and maybe 5-10 raptors.

Those spines at the front are antennae I think. This calss has more weapons per square metre of hull than any other class, so whilst smaller she packs a punch that is probably comparable to the Galactica, though almost certainly with much lower endurance.

My geuss is she was a design that emphasised speed and firepower at the expense of fighter capacity and endurance. This makes sense for a ship defending the Colonies - lots of ground-based fighters and she never has to go far from her base on missions.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.