RoboCop's New Threads.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

RoboCop's New Threads.

Post by Enigma »

RoboCop's new look.

It sucks. I know the look needs updating but I had hoped they'd keep the helmet more or less similar to the original. This is crap.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: RoboCop's New Threads.

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

You couldn't keep the gleaming silver look?
You just had to go with Stealth black?

Pass...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Wasn't there concept art put up that was closer to the original look? In fact, here it is.

I remember when the altered costume for the recent Spiderman reboot was leaked, there was a similar reaction; when it was actually seen in motion on the screen, with editing and better lighting, it looked a lot better. Hopefully it'll be a similar case here (perhaps this is some 'early' suit in the movie?)
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Srelex wrote:Wasn't there concept art put up that was closer to the original look? In fact, here it is.

I remember when the altered costume for the recent Spiderman reboot was leaked, there was a similar reaction; when it was actually seen in motion on the screen, with editing and better lighting, it looked a lot better. Hopefully it'll be a similar case here (perhaps this is some 'early' suit in the movie?)

I like that helmet except for the red.

If that suit is just a stand-in for the CGI version then fine except for the helmet. He looks more like an overprotected biker.

EDIT: Another thing I noticed about the movie is that they'll include the ED-209s.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

That costume actually reminds me of the hoverbike cop from Star Trek '09.

From what I've heard, Robocop goes through something like four or five design revisions within the film itself before arriving at the final version. Hopefully this is one of the earlier versions.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Yeah. Looks too much like the new Batman/Judge Dredd armor than a cyborg police officer.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

It looks better than spray painted trash bins. But I do find it hilarious that people refuse to see it because of a costume.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I guess most people will refuse to see it because it's basically doomed to be shit. The costume is just a laugh. Needs little ears on it and a gravelly voice and it'd be PERFECT! Batman is so hot right now!
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

bastard love child of Batman and Judge Dredd, with a dash of Iron Man for flavor
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Enigma wrote:Image
RoboCop's new look.

It sucks. I know the look needs updating but I had hoped they'd keep the helmet more or less similar to the original. This is crap.
Apparently, in-story, the scientists managed to save the right arm.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I was thinking Mass Effect myself.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

*thinks on it*

Yeah it does have an ME look to it doesn't it?
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It looks dumb, but I’m very interested by the fact that one hand still looks human. If if goes through revisions in the film I wonder if this involves him initially having a human arm, as is talked about in the originaonl, only to have it shot up and removed. That could be pretty cool. The makers would have to be fucking insane if he doesn't end up looking much like the original product.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

ED-209 has already been seen so unless they intend to change both over the course of the film I suspect this WILL be close to the end result.
Gotta give credit to master piece of stupidity required to ruin Robocop AND ED-209 just through the Teaser Trailer alone.
This might as well be the picture of Commander Shepard or Crysis.
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

amigocabal wrote:Apparently, in-story, the scientists managed to save the right arm.
Maybe that's a callback to the scene in the original Robocop where the scientists mention being able to save one arm only for Morton to insist that they remove it anyway because he wants to RC to go full-body prosthesis.
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

PREDATOR490 wrote:ED-209 has already been seen so unless they intend to change both over the course of the film I suspect this WILL be close to the end result.
Gotta give credit to master piece of stupidity required to ruin Robocop AND ED-209 just through the Teaser Trailer alone.
This might as well be the picture of Commander Shepard or Crysis.
From my understanding, there'll be more than one ED-209 in the movie.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I like it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Me too. I think the old look might be better, but that could be the nostalgia talking.

I do wish they'd add some silver and/or blue, though.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:You couldn't keep the gleaming silver look?
You just had to go with Stealth black?
Personally, I'd go for a gray, "urban combat" digital camouflage.

Anyways, from what I read here, the costume is the LEAST of the problems the film has.
“I talked to José Padilha for a week by phone. He will begin filming Robocop. He is saying that it is the worst experience. For every 10 ideas he has, 9 are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight… ‘This is hell here,’ he told me. ‘The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.’ He is bitter, but it’s a fighter.”
Sounds like the director's a victim of studio execs, likely those forcing him to make a kiddy film- or the studio is having headaches restraining a self-styled "revolutionary" of a director, who's using the film to make a political statement that will render it DOA (dead on arrival) at the box office, like The Day the Earth Stood Still remake. Either prospect sounds ominous.
“In RoboCop, the year is 2029 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Their drones are winning American wars around the globe and now they want to bring this technology to the home front,” reads the official plot synopsis.
Is the US fighting a second Civil War? Are terrorists using Cheyenne Mountain as a base of operations? Is Canada and/or Mexico invading? If these conditions do not apply, I don't see how an American public that believes their nation is militarily victorious, tolerate having a drone war fought on their own front yard.

Sounds like this is a ham-fisted political statement from the studio and/or the director. NOT GOOD.
“Alex Murphy is a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit. After he is critically injured in the line of duty, OmniCorp utilises their remarkable science of robotics to save Alex’s life.
Does this mean Murphy VOLUNTARILY submitted to the processes that turned him into RoboCop? If so, there goes the source of much of the original's drama and character development.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Sidewinder wrote: Does this mean Murphy VOLUNTARILY submitted to the processes that turned him into RoboCop? If so, there goes the source of much of the original's drama and character development.
The original ALSO willingly submitted his body for experimentation. There were lines to that effect in the original movie as well. But it's implied that the officers who volunteered didn't know WHAT they were volunteering for, or rather, that OCP pulled a fast one with the exact definitions of the experiment.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Sidewinder wrote:
“In RoboCop, the year is 2029 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Their drones are winning American wars around the globe and now they want to bring this technology to the home front,” reads the official plot synopsis.
Is the US fighting a second Civil War? Are terrorists using Cheyenne Mountain as a base of operations? Is Canada and/or Mexico invading? If these conditions do not apply, I don't see how an American public that believes their nation is militarily victorious, tolerate having a drone war fought on their own front yard.
I dont think they mean a civil war, more war on crime, they want to introduce the same general technology used in overseas wars to law enforcement.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Atlan wrote:
Sidewinder wrote: Does this mean Murphy VOLUNTARILY submitted to the processes that turned him into RoboCop? If so, there goes the source of much of the original's drama and character development.
The original ALSO willingly submitted his body for experimentation. There were lines to that effect in the original movie as well. But it's implied that the officers who volunteered didn't know WHAT they were volunteering for, or rather, that OCP pulled a fast one with the exact definitions of the experiment.
I think it was something in the small print of the general contract for the police that the company got to do what they want with their bodies after death and Murphy was the first person to be classed as dead that they could use to make a cyborg.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Bedlam wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:
I dont think they mean a civil war, more war on crime, they want to introduce the same general technology used in overseas wars to law enforcement.
Suppose the UK government decided that, in order to cut the crime rate, Predator UCAVs would now patrol British skies. Furthermore, these UCAVs were armed with Hellfire missiles, and the pilots had authorization to shoot criminals in the progress of committing a crime. Do you feel safe when there's a very real possibility you will become collateral damage if some trigger-happy UCAV pilot launches an ANTI-ARMOR WEAPON in your neighborhood?

The American public may be willing to tolerate a drone campaign being fought FAR, FAR AWAY, in Waziristan or some other place with an unpronounceable name. But one being fought on American soil, where they're in danger of becoming collateral damage? HELL NO.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)