your TARDIS awaits

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

your TARDIS awaits

Post by Ahriman238 »

Oh, wow, I just realized I've been on this board a whole year. Anyway, I decided to commemorate this special (for me, anyways) occasion by recycling one of my first threads. I feel I could have done better, I tried to direct the conversation too much then, plus the there are new members and I feel the atmosphere of the board has changed some since then.

If you're interested, the old thread is Here.

As you're going home you hear a strange, familiar sound as a blue police box materializes outside your home. Entering, you find that it is larger on the inside, and there is the somewhat burnt body of an old man in a stylish leisure suit. A hologram of the old guy appears and informs you that he is the Thirteenth and final doctor, and has implemented this safeguard against his death, programming the TARDIS to deliver itself to you, who he has chosen to will it to.

You receive the TARDIS, sonic screwdriver, psychic paper, and flying instructions downloaded into your brain. There are a couple of limitations, though. Per "the Parting of the Ways" the TARDIS protects the timeline of everyone who enters it, so you cannot alter any events the Doctor or his companions took part in, nor anything that would change them and their knowledge of the world at the time they first entered the TARDIS. So, you can't kill Rose before she became the Doctor's companion, do anything that would keep her from the basement where she met the Doctor, save her father, or make it so the Nazis won WWII. She MUST join the Doctor as a companion, and history must be more or less as she knew it.

The same applies to Real World History, as you cannot create a paradox that would result in you not getting the TARDIS, or being in any way a significantly different person when you did, like coming from a different world/history. If you attempt to alter your own or the Doctor's history, you will be rendered invisible, intangible and otherwise incapable of interacting with the world, a mode that can also be used to passively explore the universe. Repeated attempts to cause self-destructive paradoxes will result in the TARDIS becoming increasingly surly and willing to deviate from your planned to destinations to dangerous or embarrassing ones.

Fortunately, in his last life, the Doctor upgraded the TARDIS to get around it's previous issues with dimension travel, you may visit any fictional universe you are aware of, and alter their history in any way you choose. Whether accompanying Luke to the Death Star or shooting Joffery in the face.

Per "the Shakespeare Code" there is no such thing as magic, and that's the final word on that. There are, however, a near-infinite variety of psychic powers and means of manipulating psionic energy that can seem like magic to the primitive or uneducated. Some of them happen to involve rituals with virgin sacrifices, and some pointing a wand and speaking bad latin. You may in time learn to wield magic from any system known to you, unless it involves inborn powers, in which case you'll have to isolate what makes it usable and do some genetic splicing on yourself.

All technology works as described, as it would in a versus debate. All fictional materials, whether tiberium, vespene gas, naquadah, unobtanium, mithril, durasteel or dilithium are presumed to be real, but only naturally occur in some universes. You may learn how to synthesize these materials, and teach others how to do so.

You cannot acquire any time machine or dimension-hopping device that would allow you to circumvent the TARDIS' safeguards, for your sexy is a jealous sexy, and programmed to stop you from creating self-destructive paradoxes. The FIRST violation will result in the sexy leaving you stranded in a nude princesses' bedchambers, moments before her father arrives, and leaving you to deal with the consequences for a couple of hours. You don't want to know what will happen if you try again.

Within these limits, the multiverse is yours to explore, play around in, conquer, whatever suits your fancy. You may not be able to change history prior to your acquisition of the TARDIS, but the present and future are yours. Space for companions on the TARDIS is not unlimited, but you should be able to easily accommodate yourself and 40,000 or so of your closest friends if you wish. Where will you go? What will you do? And what will you do with the dead guy stinking up the place?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Re: your TARDIS awaits

Post by PREDATOR490 »

So with this you just made the Doctor Who verse completely unaccessible because any change fucks everything up. Fair enough.

Destination: Becoming a super-god 101.

Step 1: Jump to the Heroes Universe
Get Sylar's + Peter Petrelli's abilities I.E Absorbing the powers of others
Good place to start would be the serum that can give normal people powers, if you luck out you get what Peter did with the ability to absorb one power at a time.
Grab that power, bump into Petrelli mid season 1 and you can absorb every power. Thus your using the season 3 ability to steal his season 1 ability... oh the irony.
Bump into Sylar, absorb his power and now you can steal every single ability on the entire planet... starting with the invincible Cheerleader.

After a few bumps into numerous Hero characters the ability list will be something like: Super-Regeneration, Teleportation, Super-Speed, Shapeshifting, Nuclear Explosions, Flying, Time Manipulation, Shoot Electricity, Telekinetics, Mind Reading / Control and the ability to find anyone, anywhere.

Step 2: Jump to Charmed universe
Lame universe to visit and a bit childish but thats what makes it an awesome place to pillage for all the stupid magical powers.
Go to demonic wasteland and suck up all the magical powers like Cole did - Voila, fireballs, energy balls, various forms of teleportation, time manipulation, blowing shit up, premonitions, astral projection.

Step 3: Jump to Stargate universe
Pluck Adria out from under Baal when he is going to implant her, use my mental powers to dominate her or just kill her and shape change into her.
Either way I now have control of the Priors and Ori War machine to do my bidding. The Ori have already been destroyed thanks to SG-1 and I only have to lock away the Arc of Truth which is already on Ori turf.
Fortunatly I dont need the war machine, just long enough to get the Arc of Truth, download all their tech specs and whatever I can steal. Use the Arc of Truth to reveal that Origin is bullshit and end the way just before I zip off.

Zip to earlier in the timeline and find Anubis's acension lab. Steal, download everything and either kill the asshole or leave him. Do the same for the device in Atlantis.
Zip away to another universe where the Ancients cant do shit, learn how to artificially ascend to the point I can use one of those Ancient memory devices like Jack used.
Use it = Now I have all the knowledge of the Ancients, super powers and can roam anywhere I like while being untouchable.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

My answer remains the same, time-travelling, cosmos-hopping concert tour. Maybe start a band that starts a religion. "Be excellent to each other."
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Becoming a God is WAY too much work...
Also hoping to a fictional universe I would imagine has risks one may not think of. They are Fictional after all...

And, it would seem I cannot change history at all? Even within my own universe?
So, going back in time to save the works of the Great Library is out?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Destroy it.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Bad idea.

And I second the question about noninterference in my own timeline.

I always figured that if time travel were possible, you'd just end up shunting yourself into a different alternate universe than the one you 'started' in: at the critical juncture, you go down the "other" leg of the Trousers of Time, the one labeled "world changed by random time traveler" instead of "random time traveler never shows up."

There's a world to exist either way. Have you changed your own timeline? No, but you've changed your own experiences, and you were the direct cause of a change in the experience of a world full of people.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Pred wrote:So with this you just made the Doctor Who verse completely unaccessible because any change fucks everything up. Fair enough.
Not entirely. You can't mess with any of the events of the show, including preconditions to the episodes occuring (no offing Davos) nor can you cross timeline with the Doctor or any of his companions prior to their leaving the TARDIS.

If you just want to explore the DW universe, hang out, learn, watch alien sunsets, that's fine. If you want to screw with events the Doctor didn't participate in (torchwwod, sarah jane adventures) that's ok to.
Crossroads wrote:And, it would seem I cannot change history at all? Even within my own universe?
So, going back in time to save the works of the Great Library is out?
'fraid so. If you want to help loot thep lace, then leave the scrolls for archaeologists to find, great. You can even visit parallel universes virtually identical to yours and go wild there, but you will always have a 'base' universe, the world you were born in, free of any interference or mistakes on your part.
KhorneFlakes wrote:Destroy it.
For the love of god, why? The last time someone managed to destroy the TARDIS it took the whole universe with it.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

You can even visit parallel universes virtually identical to yours and go wild there, but you will always have a 'base' universe
Ah-HA!
Does this I CAN change history in a universe that is "all but identical" to our own then without feel of screwing the universe over?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

That's exactly what it means. You can even relocate there if you want, but your home will always be a safe fallback point.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

You cant change your past... but you can change the present & future of your own timeline so zip to other reality and loot whatever you want and then sell it.
Although at some point people would notice your up to something and they would eventually try to kill you to steal the TARDIS. Thus getting some Godly firepower behind you is mandatory if you want to hang on to your TARDIS for very long. Becoming a God is hard work but the alternative is you get shot trying to off Hitler or stabbed trying to save Jesus.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Far be it from me to discourage someone from self-improvement, but do I understand you correctly in that with access to all the technology and magic you've ever seen/read/imagined, you don't think you can adequately protect yourself or accomplish your goals without going a step further into godly powers?

For myself, I'd be hesitant about that sort of thing, just like uploading my mind into a vastly more capable supercomputer, there's some question as to what extent I'd still be me. Plus, I'd worry that having the power to brute force 90% of problems, I'd lose skills for dealing with other, more nuanced situations.

I would, though, have a plan for disappearing, acquiring godlike powers and training them to a usable level, and reappearing a moment or two later. Just in case I ever need to. Turning into a computer program or an energy being really isn't on the table for me though.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

As tempting it is to indulge my love of crossovers, I realise it would most probably be unethical as I would be literally kidnapping someone and dumping them into another fictional universe. So lets go the power up route, but in a somewhat different way.

1. I travel to the Cultureverse. Offer them a look inside the TARDIS and some scans in exchange for being made a Culture citizen, with all that it entails - genetic modification (since a citizen can be modified to be the same as an Affront) to longer life and stronger body etc. Also the Culture tech to make my life comfortable. Includes a couple of non sentient robots to do my manual labour.

As a Culture citizen I can of course leave it any time I like. I volunteer to get new technology for the Culture to um study.

2. Travel to DC comics universe around the time of Legion of 3 worlds. Reach Oa after Sodom Yat has left to fight Super boy Prime. Quickly use my robots to scoop up as many Green Lantern power rings and lanterns as possible.

3. Travel to Marvel universe in the distant past. Meet up with the guys who created the Eidolon warwear. Offer them a couple of power rings and batteries, and tell them they will go extinct in the future. Now that scares them, I will just take on Eidolon power armour thank you very much.

4. Once I trained how to use both the Eidolon warwear and numerous power rings, I go to the universe of the Wizardry series of computer games. Around the time of Wizardry 7. Since I know the spoilers and now armed with superior power, I kind of kick arse. When the Dark Savant tells me to give up the Astral Dominae in exchange for Vi Domina's life, I just kill him. So I gain the power of the Astral Dominae and the cosmic forge where I can write fate to some extent.

Also I take the time to learn "magic" from the Wizardry universe, since its not real magic but just powers which requires rituals, it should be doable.

Thats just for starters, since I figured I need to protect the TARDIS. Maybe I might try stepping into the heart of the TARDIS with the power of GL ring, and the warwear, and the items from the Wizardry universe, I might gain the power of the time vortex permanently. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Omeros
Youngling

Post by Omeros »

Step one is to guarantee my indefinite personal survival.

I hop on over to the Culture-verse and look for a Mind which is willing to trade technical support in return for information on other universes. A GSV would be best, but an LSV would probably do. I have it clone twenty healthy replicas of me and have it install a stasis system so that I can store them until needed. Minor physical niggles in my current body are also repaired. We also arrange a rendezvous schedule - annual meets should be enough to replace clones and equipment as needed and trade information. (I will also use the rendezvous to periodically relax and party in a safe environment).

Next, I pay a visit to the UN Protectorate-verse. I have cortical stacks implanted in both me and the clone bodies, and also set up an automatic cortical back-up so that my stack information is duplicated in the TARDIS databanks every five minutes, in case I somehow blunder into a non-survivable situation. Should I somehow be killed, the backup of me will be installed in a clone body. I also have a full set of Envoy Corps combat enhancements installed in both my own and the clone bodies - not necessarily for combat but just for physical enhancement. I will also return to update the enhancements every few years, as well as to replace cortical stacks as needed. Whenever I am seriously injured or just get a bit too old, I will be resleeved in one of the clone bodies.

Next step - indulge my curiosity. I travel back in time to see if the crucifixion of the man we now know as Jesus Christ really happened; visit Periclean Greece, Imperial Rome, Elizabethan London and Old Kingdom Egypt; see an original Shakespeare production at the Globe Theatre; and spend a few weeks in 1940 England to watch the aerial dogfights of the Battle of Britain.

Since I am not especially interested in personal power and the TARDIS can supply everything I realistically need, I spend the next few centuries exploring the parallel universes I can access. If I meet suitable 'companions', I of course invite them along. However I AVOID:

the Xeelee-verse, in case they can destroy or immobilize the TARDIS somehow:

the Lensman-verse, as the Eddorians could possibly threaten the TARDIS's survival:

the Lovecraft-verse, as I do not want to risk encountering an entity like Azathoth or Great Cthulhu.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ok I am trying to make a big post to this, but apparently the SciFi forum is acting funky for posts :<
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

GHETTO EDIT: (don't know why it didn't work last night, but able to make the post now)
Ahriman238 wrote:That's exactly what it means. You can even relocate there if you want, but your home will always be a safe fallback point.
So you have given us the ablity to change time in an "All but identical" version of Earth, where if things go pare shaped, we have an infallible escape hatch back to our Home dimension?
Oh Ahriman, Ahriman! You have gone far above what I could have expected in terms of what I can now do!

*Ahems* Now to begin...
Step One:
Since we have access to all fictional universes, simple pick up from one an effective but benign and non harmful Mind Control Device. There are plenty in fiction, so getting one shall not be hard.

Once I have that in hand, well I shall travel to a "Identicle Earth" going back to 1850. From there... (coughs and begins to unfurl a Massice document)

1850 Arrive in San Francisco, meet with Samuel Brannan, "Convince" him to accept me as an anonymous business advisor and trusted confident.
1851 After returning from trip to Hawaii, "Convince" Sam to begin taking more of an interest in wife's social function, forming connection amongst the elite of San Francisco society.
1852 After birth of newest son "Don" Brannan "Convince" to abandon plans to travel to NYC and instead stay home to look after still weak wife as well as spending more time with eldest son "Sam Jr"
1858 Expansion of general stores down through fledgling Los Angeles and San Diego.
1859 "Convince" Sam to sell off all holdings in Hawaii, shortly before large business cause land values to crash.
1861 After finishing a railway to newly founded "Calistoga" sell off railroad and holdings, preventing the loss of millions on what would be a failed venture.
Introduction of Sams' eldest son to family business and fostering of his education. "Some day all this will be yours" speech.*
1865 Early in the year travel to Russia to arrange meeting with Nicholas Alexandrovich, "Convince" not to go on tour of Europe but instead stay home learning and following his father the Czar.
In April travel to Washington DC, capture John Wilkes Booth shortly before his assassination of President Lincoln. Ensure reconstruction of south.
1870 At age 25, offer young Sam full education at University before offering position in Business to begin grooming as Heir.
1875 "Convince" Sam to explore possibility of expanding into Cattle Ranching by the purchase of more then 1000 acres of land near Kern County in the San Joaquin Valley.
1880 At age 35, have young Sam begin to increasingly take on responsibilities for the business as well as introduce self to Sam Jr as "Long time business partner" of his father.
1881 Travel to Russia, prevent assassination of Czar Alexander II, ensure his implementation of parliamentary system and eventual freeing of the Serfs.
1885 "Convince" Sam Jr to become interested in Logging, purchasing land around "Hume lake" to start industry.
1888 Buyout failing logging industry "Kings River Lumber" and purchase of all lands around the Kings River.
1889 Samuel Brannan dies, willing all assets over to his Son who takes full control.
1894 Expand purchase of land around Kern County, continue development as Cattle Ranch.
1896 Purchase lands around "Mount Sutro" from Adolph Sutro shortly before his Death.
1899 Discovery of oil in Kern county, "Convince" Sam Jr to lease, not sell, land to Standard Oil company, making a clause that "should anything happen to Standard Oil, such as it being dissolved, the land would revert to Brannon Holdings"
1900 At age 55, "Convince" Sam Jr to Construct Brannan Headquarters at Corner of Stockton and Post st in San Francisco. Also, with a new millennium dawning, begin to patrician the company to a Corporation, putting Sam in as Chairmen of the bored and titling the new Corporation "Crossroads Inc." Additionally, found an new organization called "The Long Now" foundation, tasked with cataloging in depth the history of the World from year to year in strict detail.
1901 Begin to develop Gardens and park space around Mt Sutro. Begin construction of new Hotel at corner of Green st and Jones st. Put significant importance on fire fighting measures including the construction of a fire station directly across from Hotel
1903 Take a "Vacation" traveling cross country via train. Stop at Prescott AZ, purchase land and begin construction of general stores in Arizona and expanding into the west. Stop at Boldt Castle under construction meet with George Boldt and become "Friends". Stop at DC, meet with President Roosevelt, make large donations and become "Good Friends"
1904 Stop back at Boldt Castle, "Convince" George Boldt to finish Castle in memory of his Wife. Return to San Francisco. Begin preparations at Hotel, regular training in fire fighting for hotel staff.
1905 Samuel Brannan Jr turns 60. "Convince" him it is time to build a "nice little house" away from the city. Clear space on Mt. Sutro for large mansion. Make sure reinforced foundation is started. Introduce self to the Bored of the Corporation as private advisor to each Chairmen.
1906 Great San Francisco Earthquake. Man defense of Hotel, send out runners to Museums and Galleries to offer a safe haven of historical artifacts that will be lost in the Fire. At 7:30pm travel discreetly to the Alcazar Theatre Building to prevent Arsonist from lighting an additional fire that led to the destruction of the largest properties on Nob Hill. Advise house on Mt. Sutro under construction (luckily only the foundation was built) to be built taken into consideration of additional earthquakes. Extra rooms and vaults to be constructed deep within the mountain under the house.
1907 Send orders to expand construction of department store in Prescott Az and now in Phoenix and Tucson. In early September travel to SF "Cliff House" to prevent it burning to the ground from accidental fire.
Take trip to Venice in late October. Come across Adolf Hitler newly graduated from Venice Art Institute. "Convince" him to travel to America to be hired as an artist for the Company.
1908 Return back to America, stop off at Washington to meet and catch up with Roosevelt as he steps down as President.
1911 Meet with President William Howard Taft, "Convince" him to step down if Roosevelt decides to run again for President. Also in 1911, Standard Oil is dissolved. Rights of the Kern Oil fields reverts back to the Corporation. The new Oil company called is called "Chevron" and 50% of the stock is placed in trust under the Crossroads Company.
1912 Roosevelt Runs and is elected as President. As a show of good will, Donate all forrest lands around Kings River to Roosevelt as a new National Park.
1914 Start of World War One.
1915/16 America enters into the War and Roosevelt is Re-Elected as President. Sam Jr' turns 70.
1918 War ends, with Roosevelt as President, the treaty of Versailles is changed. Roosevelt proposes a plan to rebuild Germany and pushes for less brutal war reparations. Strict controls are put into place to make sure the German Economy does not collapse.
1919 "Convince" various members of congress to vote down the proposed Prohibition amendment, thus preventing the rise of the mafia and the later organized crime bosses.
1920 Roosevelt steps down from office. Begin to purchase large amounts of Stocks in key corporations.
1926 20th year anniversary of the Great SF Earthquake. In memory the gardens around Mt. Sutro are donated to the city as a Public park. Construction begins of a massive new Office tower for the Crossroads Inc. headquarters. When finished it will be the tallest building in the city.
1928 Begin selling off stocks in preparation of Stock Market Crash, invest funds over seas and begin to buy up large amounts of Gold.
1929 Great Stock market Crash
1931 Samuel Brannan Jr dies at age 86 at his Estate on Mt. Sutro. Total Assets, stocks, and shares of Chevron revert to the corporation are are placed under control of the "CEO"

There.
The years is 1931, I have just become a Billionaire and head of one of the most powerful companies in the nation. At this point the following changes have been made to this worlds timeline:
*The south, under Lincoln's careful stewardship, is assimilated successfully into the North. jim Crow never happens and education and tolerance spread.
*Alexander II lives and implements his vision of setting Russia down the path of becoming a Constitutional Monarchy. His son, who survived and has studied under him, has continued his fathers vision to liberalizing the nation, preventing the rise of Soviet Russia.
*Roosevelt is Elected to his second term and heads America though the Great War Preventing Woodrow Wilson from coming into office and putting a blind eye to the KKK as well as other blatantly racist policies. Roosevelt also takes a far different approach to the end of the War and the treaty of Versailles
*Adolf Hitler never went to War, instead spending his life painting art in America. Germany will be able to avoid the finical collapse that led to the rise of Fascism. While Europe may have internal wars and battles over the next 10 years, there will be no Nazi party nor Holocaust.
*With the softening of war and the prevention of a Soviet Russia, The Cold War will never take place. China will remain Imperial, the cultural revolution will never happen. The American far right, already weakened by lack of support from the south, will continue to deteriorate as it now lacks a Boogy Man in Communism in which to stir the country up into a right wing fervor. McCarthy will never take place.

And there you have it folks. Not bad if it all goes to plan. I am a freaking Billionaire in the 1930's and will, in Secret, guide the nation, and the world into a progressive Liberal utopia.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I thought about this for a minute...

[looks at hands]

Then I realized I really have very little interest in fantasizing about what to do here. An infinite number of options that one can take or leave as one chooses is... kind of dull to think about, really. Because there's not a lot of challenge to it, it's just umpteen people answering the question "how would you secure immortality/power/whatever?"

Power fantasy to the Nth degree, without really having limits placed on it by the constraints of the situation.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I actually agree with you Simon, Fictional universes hold little interest to me. There are just SO many of them.

If I am given something as powerful as a TARDIS, I want to make a difference where it means something.
Saving the works of the Great Library, as well as countless other treasures lost due to barbaric actions.
Discovering the deepest mysteries of history, uncovering riddles to our ancient past.

That is actually why I wanted to do what I posted above. Something like that, becoming a part of History and living through it, that would be a real challenge.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I wrote this in the original thread.
Thinking about it, it would take me a little while to adjust to having Sexy as my home and transport. First off, get off the Coral setting, its ugly, I prefer the cathedral look from the Doctor Who movie, thank you very much.

Next, after some training and practice driving the TARDIS around, I'm going to see what all I can do and how comfortable I am with it. Third, let's repair her. Let's make sure Sexy is comfy. After all, you don't want a time machine with sore joints, now do you?

Fourth, I will always pull the doors open, never push.

Fifth, move all my stuff into her. That could take a week.

Sixth, obtain immortality or very heavy endurance. Whether by the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones, the planet Baku from Trek. Maybe some other method, I would just have to look through my library and look.

Once eternal youth is ensured, start collecting the art of the multiverse. Think about it, what if you could read Jake Sisko's book, even though he's a fictional character. Now, you can. Every single fictional piece of art or literature, I obtain a copy of. This might take a while.

Eighth, become a mercy ship for people in distress. Remember the death of the Markeb from babylon 5? Well, that's not gonna happen now. That cure is going to pop up on Franklin's desk a couple weeks early. Every single disease that has ravaged fictional civilizations is gonna need help. After that's done, maybe drop by the Louvre and see if they're interested in showing off my collection or something.
Looking back on it, the only solid original idea I had was that the collecting all the books, movies, literature and such from other fictional works. Everything else just seems like grandstanding.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

1. Become a God (or near as possible)
2. Travel back to Jerusalem at the time of Christ (in the invisble/noninteracting mode) and document exactly what happenned.
3. Manifest myself in Angelic or God-like style at the Vatican during some big public service and give the Pope a wedgie, then fire him.
4. Proceed to travel through the Multiverse, becoming basically the Doctor/Knight-Errant, only with more power and slightly less morals.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
inviz345
Youngling

Post by inviz345 »

Go to the future copy every piece of information lottery result become rich help out people until my dying days open the hart of tardis and hope it restore my 13 lives.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

begins building a nice large public library...

should we tell anyone how all those clay tablets and scrolls in jars mnaged to disappear from the burning of the libaray of alexandria?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

The Yosemite Bear wrote:begins building a nice large public library...

should we tell anyone how all those clay tablets and scrolls in jars mnaged to disappear from the burning of the libaray of alexandria?
You know this actually brings up a rather salient question... That basically, once a time machine is obtained, HOW exactly do you save the Great Library?
I Mean, it is often item, no1 on many of our lists. Get Time Machine -> Save Great Library.
The loss of the Library is without a doubt perhaps the single greatest lost of information to humanity ever. Tens of Thousands of documents that contained, history, Sagas, stories, poetry, mathematical and scientific texts, all lost forever. Is it any wonder it is the first thing many of us would do?

But HOW do you save it?

History records at least three different periods that the Library was raided or destroyed. And none of the three are pinned down well in terms of an exact date. Also, unless you can just magically make copies of the works, how do you take them?
Perhaps something as advance as a TARDIS could "scan" them into its computer. But then what? Is that really saving them when you go back ot the present and say "Oh hey, I have the total knowledge of the Great Library with me, It is all saved in PDF format" is something I don't think the scientific community would take seriously.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

You save it by cheating history. Namely, you go back to the past just before the fire and replace all the documents with blank parchments. That way the people who see the place burn down truly believe everything has burned down. And to any observer after the fire it would indeed seem that this is what happened. Hence there is no change in history. Alternatively you can just go to Star Trek, nab a replicator and duplicate the whole thing.

And since we don't know the exact date why not plant a drone of some sort (surely one of the fictional universes has tech like that) to lie in wait and call you when a fire starts. And since you do have a time machine you basically get free unlimited retries. You could even tie it to a replicator and hide the whole thing under the ground somewhere. And than have it do auto backups of the library until the last moment.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Or... jump to a reality with AIs like a terminator and reprogram one to work at the Library so it can record everything.
Since its not just a time machine anyway... you can jump to an alternate reality and loot the fuck out of anything you want without any consequence to your own timeline. Although, it would present an interesting theory. Maybe thats what happened to our history... some random reality / time jumper looted the library before it was burned down.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

My idea was to couple a small reactor with a scanner, replicator and transporter. Plant it when the library opens and when ever a new volume gets added the machine lights up, scans and replicates it from a distance and beams it to my secure storage house. And it all fits into a shuttle craft landed in a cave somewhere. A crew of Star Wars grade droid operators should take care of the command crew.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.