"Cloud Atlas" Trailer Out

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

"Cloud Atlas" Trailer Out

Post by Guardsman Bass »

What does everyone think? I'm . . . okay with this film. I'll see it, but probably not for full price in the theaters unless somebody else is paying (or it's a date).

Has anyone here read the book? I've only seen the plot summary, which is basically "stories of characters across time, through the past, present, dystopic Blade Runner-esque future, and post-apocalyptic far future*".
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Re: "Cloud Atlas" Trailer Out

Post by Zac Naloen »

The book is incredibly complex, I'm struggling to comprehend how it will translate into a move that is less than 5 hours long and still make sense.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Post by Lord_Of_Change 9 »

I read the book a couple of times a looong time ago.

I know some of the basic plot, but I don't remember a post-apocalyptic future.

Or explosions.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Knowing nothing but what has been posted in this thread, this trailer does not make me want to watch the movie. It says everything is connected, but it does not look like a coherent work of fiction.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Grumman wrote:Knowing nothing but what has been posted in this thread, this trailer does not make me want to watch the movie. It says everything is connected, but it does not look like a coherent work of fiction.

That's pretty much how I feel too. I'm curious as to what happens but the trailer also makes me feel like I'd end up spending a lot of time watching the movie and end up being very disappointed afterwards. I guess it's giving me a Southland Tales vibe and that's one of the few movies I tell people not to watch. That's probably not giving this movie a fair shake since it at least is based on an award winning book.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Grumman wrote:Knowing nothing but what has been posted in this thread, this trailer does not make me want to watch the movie. It says everything is connected, but it does not look like a coherent work of fiction.
You know, the connectivity isn't really all that important. Each narrative tells its own mostly self-contained story - they just happen to be embedded in each other through metafiction (as the trailer demonstrates, each protagonist becomes aware of the story of the last one). Without spoiling anything, the narratives are connected more by the themes they share and by their depiction of the evolution of society rather than by the actions of Character A leading to a response from Character B.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm going to read the book. Everyone I've spoken with who has read it raved about it, but also expressed concern that its complexity might not translate to film well.

The whole interlocked meta-narrative theme came through well, although it also looked like they were playing up a kind of "reincarnation" story, with the same two people arising over and over again in different situations as civilization progresses through "Rise", "Triumph", "Decadence", and "Fall". It reminds me of this famous Thomas Cole series of paintings, The Course of Empire (particularly the clip from the trailer where we see the ruined cityscape over-run by vegetation).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood