New Firefly on the way?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lord Baal
Padawan Learner
Location: Segmentun Solar, Sol system, Terra, America, South America, Venezuela, Lara, Barquisimeto, my office

Re: New Firefly on the way?

Post by Lord Baal »

I too thought about an animated show, that would be a lot cheaper... but still... just like for the browncoats on that universe, all hope is death by now.
[signature]Insert cliche or funny statement here. [/signature]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:but in firefly verse earth is gone, everyone is decendant from the terraforming seeder ships that went out when we figured out that we had fucked thigs up. there's probably safe on eath by now, the plucky Disney Pixar bots have fixed everything and the Roomas are going to go Cylon on our asses when we show up and fuck with the job the've been doing of cleaning up the mess we created....
...I like this. Firefly-WALL-E crossover!
Lord Baal wrote:I too thought about an animated show, that would be a lot cheaper... but still... just like for the browncoats on that universe, all hope is death by now.
Let's not be melodramatic. I liked it too, but it's a show; honestly there's fanfic I'm more interested in seeing finished than I am in seeing a Firefly reboot. Although that's usually biased by my personal interactions with the authors.

Anyway, making a cartoon of it is practical, it might well be artistically good- the real problem is (as always) Fox holding onto the rights without any obvious intent to use them. Dog, manger, et cetera.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Crown wrote:I think everyone can state what made Firefly special for them and it would be equally valid, but I pretty much agree 100% with the above. Why didn't he just start writing novels? My imagination could have kept all the characters alive, and my internal monologue would have been in each characters/actors voices. Would have been nice.
What, Whedon? Because he's not that kind of artist. Whedon produces visual media; as a novelist he'd be nothing special.
Really? I guess it's all subjective, but I've never seen a Whedon movie or TV series where I walk away thinking 'wow what amazing direction' ever in my life. It's his dialogue that makes it for me, and to be fair he could have 'co-wrote' a lot of the books if he needed someone to explain the Firefly verse, but since its already there I doubt it would be that critical.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Simon_Jester wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:but in firefly verse earth is gone, everyone is decendant from the terraforming seeder ships that went out when we figured out that we had fucked thigs up. there's probably safe on eath by now, the plucky Disney Pixar bots have fixed everything and the Roomas are going to go Cylon on our asses when we show up and fuck with the job the've been doing of cleaning up the mess we created....
...I like this. Firefly-WALL-E crossover!
Actually all WALL-E managed to do was...thunk *drools on keyboard*
However technically correct that comment might have been, Master Bruce, it did absolutely nothing to further the discussion nor did it distract in any way from the niftyness of the crossover idea. Not being the World's Greatest Detective I am afraid I have to ask who or what the Roomas are.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Randalthorpk
Redshirt

Post by Randalthorpk »

Anyway, making a cartoon of it is practical, it might well be artistically good- the real problem is (as always) Fox holding onto the rights without any obvious intent to use them. Dog, manger, et cetera.
I thought Nathan Filian owned the rights to Firefly now (seriously I could swear I read that somewhere)
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all."

James Graham, 1st Marquess and 5th Earl of Montrose, 1612-1650
(Common Paraphase: "He Who Dares Wins")
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

No, he just made a joke about buying the rights to Firefly if he somehow won the lottery, and it started a brief flurry among Browncoats to collect pledges to do it . . .until he announced that, yes, he was joking.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Simon_Jester wrote:Firefly rights are totally useless to anyone who doesn't plan to make the TV shows.
It would be somewhat hilarious if the reason FOX has retained the rights to Firefly is that they are making enough money on DVDs/merchandise that it has kept the value of the rights above whatever they've been offered for them - if the fanatical Browncoat support had actually kept Firefly in FOX's hands.

As for a new Firefly - I don't see the point, but I've never been a Firefly fan. I probably would have said the same about Star Trek: TNG however.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Crown wrote:Really? I guess it's all subjective, but I've never seen a Whedon movie or TV series where I walk away thinking 'wow what amazing direction' ever in my life. It's his dialogue that makes it for me, and to be fair he could have 'co-wrote' a lot of the books if he needed someone to explain the Firefly verse, but since its already there I doubt it would be that critical.
What I mean is that Whedon specializes in visual media; it's what he does and it's probably what he wants to keep doing. There's nothing stopping him from writing books, but it's not the kind of project he shows much desire to create.

Maybe he'd make a good novelist if he really wanted to, I don't know. Or maybe his skills at dialogue-translation wouldn't play so well without the visual element, without actors that he writes the dialogue for.

When Whedon created a spectacularly popular setting (Buffy, for example), he seemed happy enough to endorse a string of books written by other people. Like Lucas. But he didn't write those novels; he was busy making more TV shows and movies. And now that he's got a billion-dollar movie under his belt, he doesn't have to work on anything he doesn't feel like working on for a long time.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Except that Family Guy got resurrected because the show started making money again via the DVD, plus it lasted long enough to being with to be syndicated. Firefly never showed Fox it could make money even though they got a second chance with the movie.
Oh is that how it happened :roll: I thought Adult Swim noticed that Family guy was the number one downloaded item on P2P networks and started to air episodes, which got Fox's attention because they realized they were giving away free product.
I guess the Firefly box set is free and netflix and Hulu don't track viewership to maintain purchase licenses. Fox really must be making no money on the series long after it's production expenses were paid for.

Idiot, they're obviously still making money on it
But hey keep holding on to that dream maybe? Maybe the old cast will throw away money to work for free on something a couple hundred people are really dying to stream online slowly in an ad supported window?

I like that your argument is so utterly baseless, you have to keep trying to sneak in the assumption that the whole, or even any of the original cast would have to be involved again. They don't have to relaunch the show in it's entirety to expand the universe.
Darth Fanboy wrote:I freely admit that I like to get the goat of overzealous firefly fans because its so easy but the point stands as always, the show never generated enough traffic to be a big budget series on a major network. Episode order aside, that's something only diehards point to in retrospect, if the show bhad been interesting it would have overcome that.
Yeah, but Darth, seriously, you aren't good at it. First you'd have to identify overzealous firefly fans to begin with, in order to rile them instead of...I don't know, someone who just objects to the utter ignorance of modern media you have demonstrated. The second, is you'd have to probably find someone interested in arguing that it should be a big budget series on a major network.

You also have to get past a ton of brainbugs. You have a problem differentiating between a complete series relaunch and expansion of content. For some reason, you can't accept anything less than a full relaunch of firefly with original cast on the original network, so I really have to wonder, whose the real browncoat here? You're shitting on the idea of Sanctuary, why because it's a low budget Scify series? Is that going to insult your cherished memories of the show, and finally invalidate the quality of the show because Fox wouldn't rescind it's cancellation? :lol:

I don't have a problem with low budget if it's done well. Alphas, Being Human, maaaaybe Eureka, they're all very low budget compared to anything Fox puts out, but they're entertaining enough for me. Scify did a perfectly good job with the Stargate franchise when it was getting dropped as well as the battlestar galactica franchise decades after it perished, in fact, Fox tried for a larger budget show that didn't pan out. Going smaller scale and writing tighter stories takes a smaller cast, and can require much smaller special effects and production costs. using different media formats, webisodes, miniseries, tv movies, animes, all come with lower costs than a full on tv series and it's a completely reasonable for Fox to emulate that concept. Was it a coincidence that Marvel and DC have been pumping out cheap animes to expand the universe that their Movies are taking place in? they've been doing it since at least the matrix for movies, and they've been doing it with video games too, Halo and Dead Space come to mind, maybe even resident evil.

Or Fox could sell the license when they think it's used up, and open the door for someone else to develop it. The reason they haven't done that is because they probably ARE still making money on it, and don't want to see a competitor pick it up and start working with it. Firefly isn't locked up because it has no chance of resurgence, it's locked up because it HAS a chance, and Fox isn't particularly interested in investing in it. Either way I think the form "more firefly" is likely to take is expandable content, not a series reboot.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

No need to respond since my point seems to be proving itself.

Let it go, be happy that you even got a full season and a movie.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darth, this is just dumb.

The only point you're proving is that you can make nonsense up, and people will call you on it.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Obviously if what I'm saying was nonsense then Firefly would be on the air or at the very least mightytom wouldn't have written a TLDR essay explaining why I'm wrong that Firefly is dead even though other people in the thread plus yourself have been agreeing despite being fans of the show (also the fact that, y'know, its not on the air).

But do go on about how I'm dumb for reality being what it is. That Fox might be making a little money off of DVD and merch sales doesn't mean there is enough interest to shell out big $ for new content especially given Serenity's failure to do just that.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I think it's unlikely, too. The movie's relative failure was a big part of that, and it's worth noting that nearly all of the Firefly content outside of the TV Show and Movie died off after 2005. The only new Firefly content we've had since then are two one-shot comics in 2010 plus the new commentary track on the Blu-Ray, and the latter is not that good.

Instead, we get Fox milking the existing IP for what it can through licensing, plus the occasional convention meet at Comic-Con (which throws meat to the remaining fans and lets the actors make some money off of it).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I think it's unlikely, too. The movie's relative failure was a big part of that, and it's worth noting that nearly all of the Firefly content outside of the TV Show and Movie died off after 2005. The only new Firefly content we've had since then are two one-shot comics in 2010 plus the new commentary track on the Blu-Ray, and the latter is not that good.

Instead, we get Fox milking the existing IP for what it can through licensing, plus the occasional convention meet at Comic-Con (which throws meat to the remaining fans and lets the actors make some money off of it).
Yeah.

It annoys me, but that's basically how the entertainment industry handles rights to things: whoever has them, hangs onto them for dear life, often at the expense of the art. Maybe it'll get fixed eventually, but probably not soon enough to make much difference.
Darth Fanboy wrote:Obviously if what I'm saying was nonsense then Firefly would be on the air or at the very least mightytom wouldn't have written a TLDR essay explaining why I'm wrong that Firefly is dead even though other people in the thread plus yourself have been agreeing despite being fans of the show (also the fact that, y'know, its not on the air).

But do go on about how I'm dumb for reality being what it is. That Fox might be making a little money off of DVD and merch sales doesn't mean there is enough interest to shell out big $ for new content especially given Serenity's failure to do just that.
See, the problem I have is that you're having more fun gloating about "no one's gonna plunk down big $" than you are hearing what people are saying.

The long posts come out of your general tone and just fixation on "anything Firefly would cost big $, no one will ever think about spending big $, CONCESSION ACCEPTED." When there's all this other stuff going on in the conversation between the people who aren't self-avowedly here to laugh at the Firefly fans. Because no, it's all about "lol at the firefly dumasses and their long posts I don't read."

Plus, complaining about shows you don't like for spite annoys people. Big surprise there.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Simon_Jester wrote:See, the problem I have is that you're having more fun gloating about "no one's gonna plunk down big $" than you are hearing what people are saying.

The long posts come out of your general tone and just fixation on "anything Firefly would cost big $, no one will ever think about spending big $, CONCESSION ACCEPTED." When there's all this other stuff going on in the conversation between the people who aren't self-avowedly here to laugh at the Firefly fans. Because no, it's all about "lol at the firefly dumasses and their long posts I don't read."

Plus, complaining about shows you don't like for spite annoys people. Big surprise there.
As usual you miss the point.

It's the people out of touch with reality that entertain me, the people that think that the actors will give up bigger paychecks and work for peanuts and that Joss Whedon will come down from the mountain to resurrect the corpse of Firefly, rather than let it die the peaceful death.

Then the delusional people come along and make things funny. And of course, you come along for who knows what reason like I give a fuck about anything you have to say, which is a bonus.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darth Fanboy wrote:As usual you miss the point.

It's the people out of touch with reality that entertain me, the people that think that the actors will give up bigger paychecks and work for peanuts and that Joss Whedon will come down from the mountain to resurrect the corpse of Firefly, rather than let it die the peaceful death.
So, who said that in the past week? The past two weeks? Are they still saying it now?

Are you laughing at figments of your imagination again?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Is it that difficult to read the first two pages of this thread Simon? Because I'm not going to do it for you. Because until mightytom stepped in with Masturbatory fantasies about a resurrection (and your subsequent pointless defense) there was actually some of the most realistic firefly talk id ever seen on this board.

But if your objective is to help cultivate the magical happyland where everything is possible despite the big mean nasty people at FOX intentionally sabotaging everything ever, go for it dude.

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Obviously if what I'm saying was nonsense then Firefly would be on the air or at the very least mightytom wouldn't have written a TLDR essay explaining why I'm wrong that Firefly is dead even though other people in the thread plus yourself have been agreeing despite being fans of the show (also the fact that, y'know, its not on the air).
Wow that's a hell of an ego you have, good for you, I bet nothing gets you down :lol: I'm pretty sure some Fox exec is shaking his head at a board meeting RIGHT now saying "Guys... the numbers are there but if we do this...Darth Fanboy's gonna be wrong..

The only way the likelihood of a firefly expansion could be proven is if it WAS expanded? And seriously, the only definition of that you will accept is an on air fox revival, that's a ridiculous standard to set given I have been consistently arguing for a much lower standard. You've been claiming Firefly is dead, but that is because apparently everyone but an Olympiad meets your definition of dead. That's why you're being ridiculous. Fluffing your ego by calling me a brown coat is such a weak ad hominem I could read a newspaper through it. All I've been arguing is that expandable content is utterly plausible.

Oh what the hell I'll actually look for some.

http://www.whedonverse.net/events/comic ... ly-comics/
SA: Yeah [...] I believe Joss will be saying something on the panel, if he remembers… So he’s supposed to mention it there, but it’s still a little ways off. We don’t like to do a lot of announcements too far before the books come out. To do a Firefly book right, takes a lot of advanced work. With Firefly there’s a lot to be figured out and nailed down. And Joss is so busy, we want to get as much of his time as we can in Season 9, and not suddenly burden him with a whole ‘nother series he needs to play father to.
Again, idiot, for all your arguments about plausibility, it looks like an informed assessment is, Whedon's too busy, but plans to get around to it.
No one needs to shell out big bucks :banghead: :banghead:
Darth Fanboy wrote:

As usual you miss the point.

Like Whedon did with Buffy? Dude you're the one out of touch with my argument, let alone reality, I already pointed out where Nathan Filion worked for practically nothing, and the thread is FULL of instances of Whedon NOT being on a mountain, have you SEEN Dr. Horrible? is that the work of a guy who takes himself seriously? His brothers are the freaking singing cowboys :lol:

You're utterly unfamiliar with the factors at work here and you're insulating yourself from that with useless temper tantrums rather than considering what is actually being said.
And of course, you come along for who knows what reason like I give a fuck about anything you have to say, which is a bonus.
You're pouting, stop being an asshole and think about what's been posted for a second. I really haven't being saying anything other than "They're probably going to do something more with it." and I gave plausible examples as to how, based on what the same people have done in similar situations.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Id hardly call it a pout Simon, my sides have been hurting the whole time from the delusion.

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Id hardly call it a pout Simon, my sides have been hurting the whole time from the delusion.
Well take your meds and read my username, it'll hurt less.