your TARDIS awaits

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: your TARDIS awaits

Post by mr friendly guy »

khursed wrote: Hence why I don't do major fuck ups, I do know the Living Tribunal could strip me of it. Thats why I keep my meddling to low level shit.

I'd have said go replace Thanos when he got the heart of the universe, but I kinda didn't like the End.

Just with the power of the molecule man, with a bunch of cosmic cubes, I could probably do everything I said on the list. Instead of gathering all the gems to make the infinity gauntlet, I could simply use 5 of the 6 to give me extraordinary power boost. Leave the space gems to the Living tribunal since I already have the tardis to move around.

Then again, if the one above all doesn't like me screwing things up, I'm done for, as he'll sick the Living Tribunal at me.
Or you could always exit the Marvel universe the moment you have gained the gems. There are plenty of other fictional universes to play around with.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
khursed
Youngling

Post by khursed »

mr friendly guy wrote:
khursed wrote: Hence why I don't do major fuck ups, I do know the Living Tribunal could strip me of it. Thats why I keep my meddling to low level shit.

I'd have said go replace Thanos when he got the heart of the universe, but I kinda didn't like the End.

Just with the power of the molecule man, with a bunch of cosmic cubes, I could probably do everything I said on the list. Instead of gathering all the gems to make the infinity gauntlet, I could simply use 5 of the 6 to give me extraordinary power boost. Leave the space gems to the Living tribunal since I already have the tardis to move around.

Then again, if the one above all doesn't like me screwing things up, I'm done for, as he'll sick the Living Tribunal at me.
Or you could always exit the Marvel universe the moment you have gained the gems. There are plenty of other fictional universes to play around with.
Well, that was my original plan :) With those alone, I'd pretty much be omnipotent in about any universe, or powerful enough to get out of any problems.

Then again, in a DC/Marvel Cross over, the infinity gems didn't work together in the DC universe, so to show you once again how fiction can sometime be a bitch.

That was my main idea to grab a couple different powers first, molecule man's power is pretty sweet to begin with, a couple cosmic cube should come in handy, then the infinity gauntlet is pretty awesome, so next i grab a couple ring from the DC universe, get more and more toys and power from the other universes.

I'm sure I'd make a fortune selling spice from the dune universe in other universe :P

Just grabbing the Star-Wars hyperdrive technology and selling it to other less advanced universe, I could probably create the biggest interdimensional trade empire ever, and rule through the almighty power of money :)
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Well in the Marvel / Malibu crossovers in the 1990s, the infinity gems did work in that universe. So it depends on which universe. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Pretty much, the gems are the cornerstones of the Marvel Universe and fairly explicitly have no power outside that. Heck, they seem to only work within a specific Marvel Universe from some of the crossover stories they've had. So you could assemble the gems in the main universe but they'd be just shiny rocks in the Ultimate, Adventures, or Marvel Zombie universes, where you'd have to assemble their own set of Infinity Gems.

My plan (should I decide later I need insane god-like powers, I'm pretty attached to the idea of getting by with technology and guile) is to go to the DCU's planet Rann, where Kanjar Ro invented a drug and solar radiation therapy that would, over the course of a few weeks, give someone all of Superman's powers times three. Triple strength, speed, vision powers, etc. He also gained the power to evolve/devolve people with rays from his eyes, shoot disintegration beams from his fingertips and negate GL's ring from a distance with his triple-willpower. The downside is that a common radioactive material from his homeworld, dhorite, became his kryptonite. I can live with avoiding radium or uranium all my days, I was planning on doing it anyway. That should stand me in good stead as far as physical prowess.

For that matter, there used to be a set of statues of the Legion of Superheros in the Superman museum in Metropolis. They had a bad habit, when exposed to electricity, of arcing and giving the janitor the combined powers of the Legion (including the 3x Superman powers) I'll experiment some, but it isn't my first choice due to a.) being temporary and b.) turning the recipient evil. If I can find a way around these limitations I can intellect, telepathy, and sundry matter and energy manipulating powers to the list.

I also look up the Ion entity. Not planning on trying to force the issue, but if it accepts it can do more good sticking with me, well, power equal to the entire Green Lantern Corps, which if I correctly recall Kyle's time with it means zero limits on how many, large, complex or autonomous my constructs are. Sweetness. Plus, the Guardians don't really seem to treat it at all respectfully.

I go back to OA and load up on computronium implants.

Go to Marvel, see if I'm one of (or can make myself one of) the people who gets powers from Extremis rather than dying. The boost of having every cell pull double duty as a brain cell would be much appreciated, and I wouldn't mind the technopathy.

Take place of Owen Reece, the molecule man. Considered doing the same for Dr. Manhattan, but he's exactly everything I'm afraid will happen from taking on too much power or knowledge. Reece seems relatively well-adjusted after Reed found him a decent therapist.

Try Mjolnir or one of it's numerous duplicates. Don't really expect anything, or that it would even add much to my increasingly impressive array of abilities, but I'm curious.

Okay, now during the 30th Anniversary issue of Fantastic Four, for complex reasons I won't get into, the FF were depowered and shrunk to about ankle height. Reed figured out how to use a "particle accelerator" which converts sunlight into any energy imaginable (you know, like a real particle accelerator) to duplicate the original accident and give them back their powers times 20. I have a few thoughts on how to apply that to myself, so that will warrant experimentation, just to see what's possible.

Take Zn^rx device for permanently stealing superpowers, even from radically alien biologies. It can handle a high load and comes with a neat way of imprisoning subjects during transfer. Go ape depowering everyone with a useful ability who is criminal/unstable enough that removing their powers is probably a net benefit to all. In every comic-book universe.

It should go without saying that I'd keep a non-powered clone body as a backup in case there are deleterious side-effects to stacking up powers without limit. That was another reason insane physical resilience and convincing the physical embodiment of willpower to inhabit and back me were my first stops.

Enter any Dnd world as a 1st level wizard named Pun-Pun... No seriously, I'm not interested in ascending to actual godhood, but the loop that lets one use a familiar (and I need to find a familiar) to pretty much infinitely buff their stats and copy every extraordinary, supernatural, spell and psi-like ability in the game? Priceless. Assuming in the absence of a DM to say no the Gods don't smite me or something.

Tour various manga/anime worlds adding to my skill level and collecting various charms, artifacts, biju, and devil-fruit (the last not for personal use.) Despite my distaste, a visit to Bleach is probably a must.

Collect mind-state recordings from everyone I know in the real universe or through fiction and consider exceptionally trustworthy when given power. And is willing to call me on any bullshit. Upload mind-states into bodies that will have begun as 40K Space Marines, but will have various upgrades, implants, OA's "Ultimate Muscle" and every superpower I can reliably duplicate and stack together. Teach them science and magic while I experiment with and train my own powers. Provide with the spirit-sword things from Bleach, the same design of power armor as my own (with any modifications to suit their desires or needs) and top it off with a Green Lantern Ring that runs off the Ion entity in my gut.

Give the same package to Shroomy, just to make the universe a more interesting place.

Return exactly 2 seconds after departing whatever situation prompted me to flee and power up with godlike powers and a very small, but professional, well-trained and obscenely powerful army.

What to do with said army and godlike self afterwards is a rather more awkward question.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ahriman238 wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ok... All Silliness aside, I actually have a legitimate question.
Ok so we get a TARDIS, does this actually make us "Timelords" ?

I ask because my "MASTERPLAN" would be rather hindered if I was forced to live a normal Human lifespan.
Being able to live for several hundred years is rather important for what I plan to do in terms of changing history.
Silliness has a place. No you aren't made a timelord. You just get the TARDIS, flying lessons, sonic screwdriver and psychic paper. But as others have said, any medical or other life-extending technology or magic is available to you if you can only buy, trade, steal or otherwise acquire it.
It would seem I would need to do this then...
I had HOPED that the only bit of alien/sci-fi tech I would need is the generic Effective Mind Control device I would pick up to implament my 'MASTERPLAN" but it would seem a few minor physical changes are needed as well.

I hope you can see things from my point of view, while I am aware that we are given for this RAR a limitless doorway to any fiction world we want... I for the most part wish to avoid mixing Fictional super tech with the changes I have planned for Earth (Or a near identicle alt version of it)

Now I see a lot of peole going around trying to amass Godly power and become rulers of the stars. See for me I am perfectly happy having just Earth under my control.
Shoot I don't even really want to RULE Earth, but just alter it's history toward what I see would be a more beneficial future. Sure my changes mean that any history we knew past 1940 is effectively Nuked, but I would hope said changes would lead to a better world then what we got stuck with.

I am just curious if anyone who read my MASTERLAN has an idea of just what it is I am trying to do ;)
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Want to change people's minds? Go to the Hitchhokers universe and steal the Point of View Gun. Only works on men though.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ok... All Silliness aside, I actually have a legitimate question.
Ok so we get a TARDIS, does this actually make us "Timelords" ?

I ask because my "MASTERPLAN" would be rather hindered if I was forced to live a normal Human lifespan.
Being able to live for several hundred years is rather important for what I plan to do in terms of changing history.
Silliness has a place. No you aren't made a timelord. You just get the TARDIS, flying lessons, sonic screwdriver and psychic paper. But as others have said, any medical or other life-extending technology or magic is available to you if you can only buy, trade, steal or otherwise acquire it.
It would seem I would need to do this then...
I had HOPED that the only bit of alien/sci-fi tech I would need is the generic Effective Mind Control device I would pick up to implament my 'MASTERPLAN" but it would seem a few minor physical changes are needed as well.

I hope you can see things from my point of view, while I am aware that we are given for this RAR a limitless doorway to any fiction world we want... I for the most part wish to avoid mixing Fictional super tech with the changes I have planned for Earth (Or a near identicle alt version of it)

Now I see a lot of peole going around trying to amass Godly power and become rulers of the stars. See for me I am perfectly happy having just Earth under my control.
Shoot I don't even really want to RULE Earth, but just alter it's history toward what I see would be a more beneficial future. Sure my changes mean that any history we knew past 1940 is effectively Nuked, but I would hope said changes would lead to a better world then what we got stuck with.

I am just curious if anyone who read my MASTERLAN has an idea of just what it is I am trying to do ;)
I have no problem with your sticking to mucking around with mundane history. It's not what I'd do, but as others have said this whole scenario is basically an open-ended no limits fallacy, with everywhere and everytime imagined or real available where will you go and what will you do when you get there?

I'd prefer to try and benefit people wherever possible, even if they aren't "real" here and now, and having detailed knowledge of the past and future certainly helps. Some people want to be gods, or emperors, or both. Some will forget about it or use the TARDIS as free storage, as someone said in the last thread "that's what people do, under-utilize amazing technology." Some people may want to do something else entirely.

Just trying to promote interesting discussion here.

In that vein, I think it'd be sort of fun to try and create a running conspiracy throughout history dedicated to preserving knowledge (against things like the fall of Rome) and promoting an enlightened, humanistic philosophy and scientific learning. Especially with the ability to recruit actual historical figures.

That's one thing to try, another reason I prefer mucking with fictional universes is most (however much they deny it) still have readily apparent "good" and "bad" guys. It's still easy to tell who to help and who to hinder. Not so much in actual history.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ahriman238 wrote: I have no problem with your sticking to mucking around with mundane history. It's not what I'd do, but as others have said this whole scenario is basically an open-ended no limits fallacy, with everywhere and everytime imagined or real available where will you go and what will you do when you get there?

I'd prefer to try and benefit people wherever possible, even if they aren't "real" here and now, and having detailed knowledge of the past and future certainly helps. Some people want to be gods, or emperors, or both. Some will forget about it or use the TARDIS as free storage, as someone said in the last thread "that's what people do, under-utilize amazing technology." Some people may want to do something else entirely.

Just trying to promote interesting discussion here.

In that vein, I think it'd be sort of fun to try and create a running conspiracy throughout history dedicated to preserving knowledge (against things like the fall of Rome) and promoting an enlightened, humanistic philosophy and scientific learning. Especially with the ability to recruit actual historical figures.

That's one thing to try, another reason I prefer mucking with fictional universes is most (however much they deny it) still have readily apparent "good" and "bad" guys. It's still easy to tell who to help and who to hinder. Not so much in actual history.
"Mundane" history huh? Well I guess when you have every fictional universe to explore that word could be used for those of us just sticking on Earth :P

The TARDIS is, first and foremost a Time Machine, and that is my main use for it. For me it isn't just about moving through time and changes things, but also going back and, hopefully, enjoying some of the most amazing as well as mysterious moments of history.
As far as exploring time AND Space... Well, there is a whole unexplored universe around Earth. In-between re-writting history, I might take some time to see what is out there. How thrilling would it be to discovere "Real" aliens instead of visiting ones made up by our own imagination?

As far as seeding various "conspiracies" around... Well given that my plans do not start till 1850, I am banking on history being as exact as possible for my MASTERPLAN to work.
The trouble with a conspiracy is that histroy has showed us that, over time, people are very very good at working out fakes and inaccuracies. While I do intend to save and preserve the Greta Library, I wish to only make very small passing references to it throughout history. Just a dingle scroll here and there to be discovered every few hundred years along with a vague table along the lines of "Saved from the Great Library" or something like that.
Remember, the trouble with a conspiracy is that they get VERY complicated. Better to just leave hints behind that are impossible to find out who left them behind, than create some grand conspiracy that may lead to people saying "This must be an elaborate hoax!"

Also I disagree about knowing who to help or hinder in "Real" history.
It's histroy, we KNOW who the badguys were, we KNOW what "should" have been the correct move to make at key moments. It's aleready been done, what remains is simply changing it.

Shoot if my MASTERPLAN works the way I intend, by 1940 the following would be in place..
A south that is progressive and never went through a "Jim Crow' era as well as never giving power to the KKK.
A constitutional monarchy in Russia that prevents the rise of Stalin and Communism.
A different end to WW1 that significantly lessons the economic meltdown they had to go through.
And of course changing the poltical nature of several key American races to give rise to a far more progressive nation. :D

All in all, not bad changes should everything work ;)
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Getting away from plans to acquire godlike power, one of the things I've always wanted to do is to take modern movies back in time and see how the people of the past would react to certain films. With the ability to travel to parallel universes coupled with time travel, I could play out my entire DVD library as well as future Doctor Who episodes, Star Wars/gate/Trek, all the superhero movies, contemporary westerns, modern war movies, etc.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Darth Lucifer wrote:Getting away from plans to acquire godlike power, one of the things I've always wanted to do is to take modern movies back in time and see how the people of the past would react to certain films. With the ability to travel to parallel universes coupled with time travel, I could play out my entire DVD library as well as future Doctor Who episodes, Star Wars/gate/Trek, all the superhero movies, contemporary westerns, modern war movies, etc.
Go for it, I'm all for exploring the wonders of the multiverse and meeting new people. I'm kind of surprised more people haven't expressed a desire to meet the Beatles or find out who really shot JFK or some such.

I also have to thank you for the mental image of Gene Kelly's face after being shown 'Step up.' :)