Iron Warriors series analysis thread

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Iron Warriors series analysis thread

Post by Connor MacLeod »

One of the 'projects' I have on the backburner as I'm pushing towards some of the more recent and longer-running series (like the HH) is to 're do' some of my older analysis, including the Ghosts, Cain, and stuff like that. Storm of Iron was included in that. On top of that, I'd gotten the omnibus (with the short stories, and the Iron wArrior book - SIEGE WARFARE IN SPACE - literally!) and I figured I needed some extra threads to pad it out. So here we are.

And having finished it, I find I like the book much less than I did the first time. Whether that reflects changes in my tastes, or just having more exposure to Honsou, or what I cna't tell, but the book is a very average one by McNeill's standards. Part of that is my utter disdainf or Honsou as a character or a villain, I suspect. Honsou is, in my opinion, McNeill's Sarpedon. He's a character that is stated to be one thing, but actually ends up being something vastly different (and inferior) in practice. We're supposed to believe he's some big, dynamic, threatening villain who is going to topple the Imperium with his rage and passion. What we get is a whiny, inconsistent, delusional, and functionally retarded lunatic whose primary gift seems to be killing all his so called 'allies', and running away when things fail (which they usually do.) He's nothing like Marduk (from the Word Bearers novels) or Talos (from the Night Lords novels.) He's a wannabe Chaos Warlord.

That said, my chief problem with the book is that there is the kernel of a GOOD story present, it just never flourishes. One of the major ideas in Storm of Iron (especially on the Imperial side) is unity and brotherhood overcoming different backgrounds and attitudes. Iron Warriors was the story of both Forrix and Honsou - the 'old' and the 'new'. An Iron Warrior who has lost his fire and passion, and the disdained 'half breed' who rose up through the ranks despite the discrimination to a position of trust and authority, a warrior who is full of the zeal and the passion of the true rebel, yet lacks the depth of knowledge and experience that Forrix has. There is the potential for a bond to form between those two - one that can be full of tension and rivalry and even a future betrayal - they are chaos after all - but a bond of brotherhood nevertheless. There is even a moment in the story where that bond starts to form... and then is crushed utterly. By that point, the story begins the downslide into 'Honsou the grand warleader' and the slide of the Iron Warriors series into what it has become. Honsou the Iron Warrior Captain had much more potential than Honsou the Warsmith, and there's almost something schiophrenic between the two to me. Had Honsou the Captain become Honsou the Second in Command to Forrix, I might have liked Honsou more.

Which brings us to Forrix. Forrix is the tragedy of the Iron Warriors series. He starts out strong and goes out with a whimper because we have to make way for the 'revolutionary' ideas of the Half Breed, which is a shame because I liked Forrix a hell of alot, and he had a ton of untapped potential. I suppose there might have been a point in the abrupt 'killing' of that brotherhood - maybe it was supposed to reflect how Chaos inherently betrays itself and there is no brotherhood amongst the minions of Chaos, but I find that hard to believe given what other writers manage (again the Night Lords are a good example...)

So all you're really left with is a novel that starts out strong but degenerates into the usual Chaos KILL EM ALL grimdarkitude that is supposed to be CHAOS. Although Guardsmen Hawke is always an amusing figure.

Another minor point is that I find Storm of Iron to be contrived as hell. The idea that a vital facility is so lightly defended by troops (yet warrants a Titan Legion) and has virtually no space assets is pretty absurd, and the scale of the 'conflict' is pretty silly by 40K terms which only plays into the contrived. But alot of things in the series (most of them tied to Honsou) will fit into that category. Two parts, one update. The old thread is here for comparison, quotes, or whatever. I didn't duplicate it 100% but I figure most of it was re covered with new stuff.

Page 16
Inside, a young female astrotelepath lay recumbent, her emaciated body fitted with transparent cables that fed her nutrients and chemical stimms, and removed her bodily waste. Like the quill-servitor, she was eyeless, her lips moving in a soundless whisper.

The telepathic message she was receiving from half a galaxy away passed from her to the quill-servitor along psychically-warded cables and thence to its wiry fingers, where the message finally became tangible on the blessed parchment.
Astrotelepathic range.

Page 17
...he huddled closer to the plasma wave generator that provided what little heat there was in the cramped surveyor station
A stove I guess. Except it has plasma.

Page 17-18
...he imagined putting a las-bolt into the back of his company commander's head...
..went back to imagining new and inventive ways of busting Tedeski's head.
Might or might not imply a lasgun could 'bust' a human head. We know they can partly/totally explode them in some cases. Even if it is literal its not neccesarily a 'big' calc in either caes, single or double digit kj can accomplish it, and 'bust' doesn't even mean 'exploding' it either.

Page 18-19
His two companions in misery were out in the dust-stained rocks, some hundred metres in front of the post.
He thumbed the dial on the vox-panel, 'Hitch, Charedo? You
two find anything out there?'

He turned the dial to ''receive'' and waited for a response.
The Guardsmen out investigating seem to have at least SOME form of portable vox, although what it is and its exact range (weight) etc aren't known. Probably not micro beads, given McNeill's attitude to those things. It also has a range of at least 100 metres.

Page 20
The ash storm was playing hell with the ornithopter's engines again, so
they were stuck here until the Emperor knew when.
The garrison has access to ornithopters that can act as limited transport, at leats out to the survey stations.

Page 20
Why they felt it was worth stationing over twenty thousand soldiers of the Emperor, a demi legion of Battle Titans and all those batteries of artillery here was beyond him.
The Hydra Cordatus garrison. That is one regiment so that is the entire complement. The odd thing is, that I've heard this place described as a Forge world. Except that in the novel it has no fabrication facilities, no admech forces (skitarii would have helped) and they wouldn't have a Guard Garrison.

Also I hear other things happening in the EoT campaign imply this novel happened in and around the 13th Black Crusade, which means (probably) that the Smurf novels at some poitn take place during or after that. Also I hear necrons were supposed to be involved at some point.

Page 21
...the autosenses in his helmet alerting him to the surveyor sweeps of the armoured bunker. Each time his earpiece growled a warning he would freeze as the questing spirits of the ancient machinery sought him out.
The bunker uses active sensing, and the power armour can pick up on it. You have to wonder why there seems to be no passive stuff, or why the power armour doesn't register but.. eh.

Page 22
He was now less than seven metres from the bunker's rear, and only, door.
Honsou sighted on the soldier nearest him, lining the fore and back sight precisely on the gap between the man's helmet and flak jacket.
I've always found this a bit odd/interesting as a quote. You'd think that the bolt round would penetrate straight through regardless, but maybe there's a slighty chance of them stopping it :P

Also range of honsou's shot, and the distance he has to cover to reach the door.

Page 22
Hawke heard a second, followed by two dull thuds. He swore, seeing Hitch and Charedo slump to the ground, gaping craters where their faces had been.
Honsou's bolt pistol seems a bit underpowered by bolter standards.

Page 22
He grabbed the handle of the rear cannon and yanked the trigger hard.
The supersonic shells blew up a storm, churning the mud and earth outside to atoms as thousands of rounds turned the area before him into a death-trap, shredding anything within its arc of fire.
Assault cannon. supersonic shells, and implied rate of fire. Thousands of rounds in seconds.

Page 23
He fired the rifle, laughing as his shot punched into the figure's chest. The massive silhouette reeled, but didn't fall. Hawke unloaded the remainder of the power cell through the door, shot after shot.
Assuming a regular lasgun and a 40-60 shot capacity, we're probably talking 40-60 shots in a matter of seconds at poitn blank range. Whether he actually hits with more than one shot, we dont know.

Page 24
Blood clotted on his chest where the Guardsman had shot him.
Honsou took at least one hit from HAwke, and it seems to have penetrated his power armour

Page 24
Two of his men were dead, blown away in the first roar of the assault cannon.
Assault cannon predictably did more damage

Page 24
Frags weren't the most powerful grenades, but contained within the cramped confines of this bunker they had been devastating.
He kicked the blackened, smouldering corpse of the Guardsman...
Other grenades (like Krak) are implied to be more powerful than frag grenades. This may suggest some of the more 'omnidirectional' krak weapons are just more powerful explosives or something, or dedicated antipersonnel weapons

Also one of the corpses is 'blackened' by the detonation. Assuming 50 j per square cm, that is at least 500 kj imparted to the target by the grenade.

PAge 24
He was clad in power armour the colour of burnished iron, its surfaces pitted and scored by three months of living in the hostile environment of Hydra Cordatus.
Honsou's power armour sustained him for 3 months in his guerilla activity on the planet.

Page 25
A typical Imperial military establishment, it boasted a collection of three dozen buildings, ranging from armoured hangars for Marauder and Lightning aircraft, fuel stations and mess halls to barracks and maintenance sheds.
Vast supply shuttles, each capable of landing a Battle Titan, could be handled
by the base, though it had been many years since anything larger than a Thunderhawk gunship had availed itself of the facilities.
The only way in or out of the Hope was through an adamantium door that required four gigantic pistons to open.
Five companies of the Jouran Dragoons were stationed here...
The spaceport and it sdefenses. Probably around 1000-1500 men.

PAge 26-27
Patrol vehicles, their engines modified to resist the intake of dust, circled the base, their
headlights feebly piercing the gloom.
"...but if you still can't raise them after another ten minutes, send a flight of ornithopters to investigate."
The starport has its own ornithopter flights for patrol and surveillance as well as limited transport, as well as gorund based patrol vehicles of some kind.

Page 28
Honsou watched the red light on Goran's slate and marked this moment in his memory. The targeting beacons they had spent the
last three months planting around the spaceport on this barren rock were all now active, shrieking their locations into space.
Honsou's group had palnted targeting beacons/

Page 29-30
Startled, Cycerin reopened his mind to other portions of his awareness and his breath caught in his throat as he felt the presence of dozens of starships in orbit above Hydra Cordatus. Inconceivable! Where had these ships come from and why had they not been detected before now? Nothing should be able to enter even the outer edges of the system without them being aware of it… could it? Or was this another example of human error? No, the logic engines would have screamed the place down many days ago if it had detected this size of fleet approaching. Somehow these starships had avoided detection by some of the rarest and most precious equipment available to the Adeptus Mechanicus.
Implies 'days' to cross from the edge of the system to the planet. anything lonver than 2 days is going to be single gees (or less) and half a percent of lightspeed at 1 AU, but if the distances are greater (say 10-12 AU) you could get up to a couple gees and several percent of c (within 5-6 days perhaps.) Also dozens of ships in the Iron Warriors 'fleet'

Page 30-31
"We have multiple signals detaching from several contacts in orbit."
"They're too fast for landing craft, I believe they are inbound orbital munitions."
Cycerin's vox-amp crackled in sudden fear as he saw the approach vectors of the incoming
bombs matched almost exactly the locator signals being broadcast from the torpedo launch silos.
The battle barge Stonebreaker fired three salvoes of magma bombs into the desolate rocky slopes surrounding the spaceport, blasting vast chunks of rock hundreds of metres into the air and flattening almost all the torpedo silos in the mountains with unerring accuracy.

A few hastily blessed torpedoes roared upwards through the orange sky on pillars of fiery
smoke and powerful beams of laser energy stabbed through the perpetually cloudless heavens.
More bombs fell, this time within the perimeter of Jericho Falls, demolishing buildings, gouging great craters and hurling enormous clouds of umber ash into the atmosphere.
Bombs slammed into the rockcrete, scything lethal fragments everywhere. Others smashed into the runways, cratering them and melting the honeycombed adamantium with the heat of a star.
They have enough time to plot vectors and give a warning, and they're much faster than drop ships or drop pods (presumably) so we might be talking tens of km/s, but probably not faster in this case than a few hundred km/s, if that. alot depends on orbital distance and such.

Also this seems to confirm that the speed of munitions vs attack craft is distinctly different (meaning that most ordnance - at least the 'direct firing' kind are much much faster.)

Spaceport magma bomb bombardment. The beacons provide telemetry to guide in the shells, suggesting some guidance systems on the munitions perhaps (or it just gives the guns precise targeting data itself.)

Pulverization as well as melting of the target area. 'heat of the star' isn't very precise in this particular context, since heat has been referred to as energy, temperature, etc. And even if it didn't we're talking about onplanet in an enviromental condition. It would be nigh impossible (but amusing to try) to ratoinlze this as an energy yield. OF course not all such sources are imprecise and only a dogmatic mind would try to suggest otherwise.

It could even be meant to imply some nuclear-like yield going on, although what that exact yield is is not specific (it could be tons, kilotons, or megatons, and all of those have been applied to such sources. Hell we know magma bombs are variable yield as per Nightbringer anyhow.)

The more likely event is that the magma bombs are being described in this case as extremely high temperature thermal weapons (stellar temperatures, whcih means thousands or millions of C) - probably an indication of some sort of plasma component involved in the weapon (EG as some sort of nuclear type reaction, or a plasma weapon, or both.)

Page 34
Accursed, warp-spawned sorcery must have confounded the spirits of the machines and rendered them blind to the monstrous evil that approached Hydra Cordatus
They do have a sorcerer onboard so this is likely.

Page 35
...vaulted a rebar-laced chunk of rockcrete..
Space concrte with space rebar.

Page 34-35
Thick, grey smoke from the retros obscured his vision, and the flames burning across the
spaceport rendered the heat augurs in his helmet useless.
As his men gathered at the foot of the wall, he aligned himself with the map projected on the
inside face of his visor.
Honsou's helmet has heat sensors as well as mapping functions, but they cannot pierce the smoke of a Dreadclaw drop pod's retros, it seems.

Page 36
Behind four linked and high-walled berms, Honsou could see the aerials of tanks, but what pattern they were he could not yet tell.
Armoured bunkers at each of the compass points sprayed the area in front of the tower with deadly bullets, turning the open ground into a killing zone.
Fortification. The bunkers are about as tall as the tanks, meaning 4-5 m roughly.

Page 37-38
"When the lascannons blow open the bunker, I want you to put enough melta fire into that bunker to make the rock run like liquid."
...the two warriors carrying the lascannons moved into firing positions and aimed their weapons. Bolt after bolt of powerful las-blasts slammed into the protruding salient angle of the bunker, blasting away huge chunks of armaplas and rockcrete.
The two Iron Warriors paid no attention to the incoming fire, sending shot after shot of unimaginably powerful energy into their target. Honsou watched as the angled corner of the bunker cracked wide open, the rockcrete burning orange in the heat.
Lascannon to break a hole in the bunker wide enough for a multimelta to shoot through. If we go by FFG material (EG Deathwatch) that's up to several square metres, but the bunker is no larger than 4-5m anyhow. call it 2-4 meters diameter. The wider the hole the more area of the bunker that can be melted of course. We also know from various sources like FFG that the bunkers are something like a metre thick for their walls usually. Depending on source, lascannon can carry as few as 5 or as many as 20 shots, or 10 to 40 shots total. The following calcs will go by all 40 shots.

Damage can be calced in two ways. One, is Luke Campell's death ray caclulator for the holes blasted out as above, and assuming concrete. The other is the temp by color.

Using the calculator we can further divide it up by the assumption of a single pulse or several pulses. If a single pulse the holes are going to be wider but shallower, while a 'pulse train' is going to have a narrower but deeper hole. Given that we might figure each shot might blast at least a torso sized chunk out of the wall (call it 50 cm diameter at least) for 2 lascannon guns if its a single pulse. For a pulse train (assuming somehwere around 40-50 pulses) the hole is more likely to be around 30-40 cm in diameter tops. with a 5 mm spot size and 10 microsecond delay betwene pulses, the total energy is going to be around 2-3 MJ - 50-100 kj per pulse roughly .. but in this case its going to overpenetrate like hell (1.5-2m 'penetration' which isn't impossible) A single pulse would be roughly similar, 2-3 MJ per pulse, oddly enough.

A larger hole will, of course, result in a larger yield. If it took only 10 shots for example, you might get into double digit MJ (10-15 MJ at least per shot).

The other way is by the color. If we go by he old 'lava colors' holdover from ym last calc, the aforementioned volume would account for ~9 tons of rock. I'm feeling lazy so just call it a 1000K temp, which assuming an initial temp of 300K yields something like 400-500 kj per kg. which is between 3.6 and 4.5 GJ for the glow. For 40 shots thats 90-112 MJ per 'shot'. This could be generous, as it assumes more of a 'heat ray' effect, so the actual volume melted might be less (10% would be within single/double digit MJ per shot range, for example) But the actual value assuming 'real life' materials would fall somewhere between those values probably.

Page 38
..the Iron Warrior with the multi-melta rose from his concealment and charged forwards to fire. The gun's discharge built to a deafening screech before erupting from the barrels in a searing hiss. The warrior's aim was true and the air within the bunker ignited with atomic fury, spurts of vaporised flesh and superheated oxygen blasting from the weapon slits.
He leapt over the Marauder's fuselage and sprinted towards the molten hell of the wrecked bunker, its walls now flowing like wax across the ground.
Honsou leapt onto the remains of the bunker, his iron-shod boot sinking into the molten rock. The heat scorched his leg armour, but it held firm as he pushed off and dropped into the heart of the defence.
Scorched and blackened limbs lay strewn about, all that remained of those stationed too close to the bunker; the backwash of the melta impact had burnt flesh and bone to cinders in an instant.
This calc is probably not much different from my prior one, and is much more straightforward. Assuming a 4 m tall, 5 m wide 'bunker' with metre thick walls we're probably talking it massing 170 tonnes for silicon. Call it 300-400 GJ to 'melt. Since this is a heat ray, the actual value probably isn't dramatically less (less than an OoM, and more probably because parts of the bunker do not get turned fully molten.). Of more import is the probability this is not going to be instantaneous - but rather over a period of a couple of seconds. The reason for this is mainly that there is a strong limiting factor here: recoil. Assuming a massless beam we're probably talking no more than 100 or so GW would be possible as a sustained output even for a bulk ypsace Marine. This would definitely rule out my earlier 'terajoule' level outputs at least (that sort of output would probably send most Marines barring a Terminator backwards, unless they had some sort of force field anchor like a suspensor.)

In any case even if I'm overstating the figure it probably isn't by much. The side effects virtually cremate soldiers standing nearby (and probably inside the bunker) which is going to require hundreds if not thousands of MJ per trooper, which in turn means we're probably looking at single or double digit GJ in a much briefer period of time.

Page 38-39
..a tank - a Leman Russ Demolisher - reversing from its revetment..
Another white-hot blast of melta fire flashed and the Demolisher's turret was engulfed in the inferno of the
impact. Steam and smoke obscured the tank for brief seconds, but, unbelievably, it continued onwards through the boiling cloud
Honsou roared in release as he realised the heat of the melta blast must have warped the barrel enough to cause the weapon to misfire and the shell to detonate prematurely.
Damage done by melta weapon to Demolisher.

Page 40
..the icon representing the southern bunker faded from a steady blue to an ominous black.
"t's gone, destroyed," replied Koval Peronus. "One second it was there, now it's not!"

Cycerin watched, horrified as the red icons suddenly spilled over the location that had, only moments before, been one of the lynchpins of his defence.
The bunker was destroyed in 'moments' which gives us a rough idea of the punishment the

Page 40-41
...the adamantium door shudder under the impact of the Dreadnought's siege hammer, the metres-thick door buckling under the repeated blows. It was only a matter of moments until the door would be ripped from its frame by the screaming war machine. Thick chains, looped through bolted rings, ran from its legs and shoulder mounts, where two dozen of the strongest Iron Warriors stood ready to restrain the machine once it had broken down the door to the control tower.
Indication of the strength of a Dreadnought relative to a Marine (which implies hundreds, perhaps thousands of times stronger than a normal person depending on context and source.) and a security/blast door 'metres' thick. One wonders why they aren't using the multimelta or lascannons.

Page 44
Peronus stood alone, holding a pair of laspistols pointed at the door.
"It's easy. Just point and pull the trigger," explained Peronus. "I've set the power to maximum to give us a chance of actually hurting one of these heretics, so you'll only get three, maybe four shots at the most."
Max power on a laspistol is worth 3-4 shots. Assuming a 20-30 shot capacity for a normal laspistol we're talking anywhere from 5-7x greater power for max yield over 'regular', to 7-10x for 30 shots. If its 80 shots (munitorum manual) we'd be looking at 20-27x greater power.

A lasrifle with variable settings would be between 2-3x more shots at maximum, given differences in relative power and capacity.

Page 44-45
The robed machine priest shouted and
fired his pistol, the blast punching a hole in the wall beside Kroeger. The technician fired a heartbeat later and Kroeger rocked back on his heels as the impact blasted a crater in his power armour. Before the Imperial could shoot again, Kroeger was upon him, backhanding his fist across his face and decapitating him in an explosion of blood and bone.

The adept fired again, the blast scoring across Kroeger's back.
We know from a number of sources both old and newer that Space Marine breastplates are at least an inch, probably two thick. We also know lasgun beam 'diameters' tend to be around an inch or so in diameter, so its likely that a 1-2 inch diameter 'crater' is blasted by the shot.

Assuming Space MArine armour is 'armor steel' on the death ray calculator, a ~2 cm wide, 1 cm deep crater can be blasted out with as little as 10 kj. a 5 cm diamter crater would be closer to 50-80 kj. If we're talking a 'heat ray' and iron.. probably between 15 grams and 120 grams or so depending on diameter (2-5 cm diameter crater). Melting or vaprozigint that crater would result in 18 and 144 kj respectively for melting, and 112 and 900 kj for vaporization, but both assume basically a heat ray type laser.

Depending on the exact calcs we go with, a laspistol powerpack would have as little as 30 kj or as much as 3,6 MJ, and we might be talking about a 'typical' laspistol output of between 1 kj and 180 kj per shot.

Page 47
The massive star-ship strained against the oppressive attraction of gravity, disgorging hundreds of
landing craft from its belly like some vast sow giving birth to her litter.

Each of this craft's spawn was hundreds of metres in length and crammed with a mixture of slaves, soldiers, ammunition, weapons, siege engines, tools and all manner of materiel required for a besieging army.
Size of the Iron Warrior landing craft and the scpoe of their assault.

Page 53
Hundreds of metres of razor wire stretched out from the lip of the glacis, the slope built up at the forward edge of the ditch before the walls to prevent them from being targeted with direct-fire artillery weapons, the wire forming a barbed carpet across the entire floor of the valley.
Positioned on higher ground, nearly a kilometre to the west of this blockhouse sat an ornate tower, crowned with winged angels and carved from a smooth black stone.
Distances in and around the fort. Its hard to guess those on the map since we dont see the razorwire, but we know the distance on th empa between the Gatehouse and Sepulchre.

Page 56
...a brass-rimmed, holo-slate displayed a flickering image of an ashen face, haloed by wires and gurgling tubing. The face twitched as half-remembered muscle memories flickered across its features, their organic nature now subservient to the pulse of the machines around them. Arch Magos Caer Amaethon, Master of the Citadel of Hydra Cordatus, frowned from the depths of his machine-temple where he was forever linked to the beating, mechanical heart of the citadel, interfaced with every facet of its operation. So immersed in the internal matrix of the citadel, the scant remnants of Amaethon's body could never leave his mechanised womb buried deep in the heart of the fortress.
Archmagos of the planet. He's wired into a machine that preserves his life, not unlike a Princeps or some starship captains. Also a slate with holographic capability, one of the rare, compact varieites (also recall that Lucian Arcadius regards hololithic tech as lost. hee hee.)

Page 58
The stocky major was a small man, an ex-Marauder pilot with one arm and a crudely cauterised right eye socket of burnt flesh.
"Five squadrons of Lightnings and four of Marauders. A total of one hundred and
twelve aircraft, mostly air interceptors and, we suspect, mostly destroyed."
Air forces on Hydra Cordatus. The interesting thing to wonder - were they a Naval detachment, either from a starship or seconded to the regiment, or are they like the Phantine? That one of the Jouran officers is an 'ex Marauder' pilot is rather suggestive in that respect.

We dont know the exact breakdown in craft, but there are probably between 12 and 18 Lightnings per squadron, and 11 and 13 Marauders. That assumes full squads of course. Average is 12-13 per squadron.

Either way it suggests a non standard air force setup as well (at least compared to other sources, like the Rogue TraderRPG stuff.)

Page 58
"We have over 20,000 soldiers, a brigade of armoured vehicles and a demi-legion of the Legio Ignatum at our disposal."
"Our forces are dispersed throughout the main commands. Battalion C is based here along with Battalion B, altogether some 12,000 soldiers and 900 armoured vehicles. Battalion A was split between Jericho Falls and Tor Christo, and, taking into account the losses suffered at Jericho Falls, the battalion now stands at a little under 7,000 men, all currently based in Tor Christo."
They still have 20K troops despite losing 5 companies at the spaceport and whateve rthey had in the outposts (a platoon or so.) the first two battalions are the smallest, probably 6K apiece on average, whilt ehte third is 7-9K maybe. Battalion B and C have 900 vehicles all togther, and we learn that A had at least 500 at Tor Christo.

As far as regiments go, this one is VERY well equipped with tanks, especially for its size. And that doesnt' even include the artillery. I'm not sure whether the brigade is a tank or just a figure of speech, since most I can find about RL 'armour/tank brigade's tend to be far larger than what we see here.

Page 60
"Major Tedeski will continue to hold Tor Christo, reinforced by two artillery platoons from each of the other battalions."
Each battalion probably has at least 3 artillery platoons. I'm banking on this being a lower limit.

Page 60
"How soon before we can reasonably expect reinforcements to
arrive?"
"Before the capture of Jericho Falls, the Adeptus Magos stationed there was able to despatch a coded communique with the highest priority prefix. This will be received by all nearby Adeptus Mechanicus outposts very soon. The security prefix I detected on the message should engender the swiftest response."
"It is impossible to say with any degree of certainty. Travel over such distances is fraught with all manner of variables and there are many factors that could adversely affect the arrival of our reinforcements."

"Your best guess then.'"
"Perhaps seventy days, no more than one hundred."
Response time for reinforcements.

Since Naicin is (as we learn) a traitor, this may or may not be accurate (attempts to discourage or dispirit the troops), or it may reflect unusual (dnagerous) conditions. For that matter we dont know from how far away they're expecting reinforcement from. It's not an impossibility though - given the nature of distances and the warp, and other variables, months is not impossible, especially for aid from a long ways off.

Page 66
...glanced over at the blackened shape across the bunker from him. The gleam of bone and the hand burned into a claw told him that it had once been his fellow squadmate, Hitch.
Effect of the grenade again.. it not only seemed to do alot of thermal damage, but may have even flayed bone form the body. This tends to suggest it might be more powerful and/or versatile (as in having thermal/incendiary as well as frag and blast effects) than real life grenades (of course I dont know if RL grenades can leave such extensive burning - maybe they can!) That it's more powerful says nothing, since it was a Space Marine grenade and they tend to be larger the same way all Astartes gear is.

Page 67-68
He stuffed as many ration packs as he could find into his pack as well as a couple of plastic
bottles of hydration capsules.
...pulling out a battered respirator kit and stuffing it in the rucksack. The oxygen level inside was
just over half-full...
Hawke grinned as he pulled out a portable vox-unit from the bottom of the locker, though calling it portable was a joke. The bulky battery packs weighed a kilo each and the vox itself would take up over half the space in his pack.
A direction finder and a set of magnoculars once belonging to Charedo went into one pocket...
Hawke's salvaged gear. I wonder if the vox was similar to what his allies had carried outside the outpost when Honsou attacked. It seems to be fairly man portable (at least, it fits inside the sack it seems, even if it is heavy.) The rest is mostly food, water and medicine as well as the gas mask.

I'd guess the direction finder is a compass.

Page 72-73
A groaning like the sound of the world cracking open split the air, the grinding screech of massive organic pistons and gears overcoming the bass thrumming of the mechanisms that kept the bloated craft aloft. These ancient and arcane devices, a hideous mix of what had once been organic components and ancient technology, had been created specifically for this craft and there was nothing in the galaxy like it. Their construction owed as much to the power of hyper-evolution and sorcery as engineering, and the physics of their operation should have been impossible. Forrix knew for a fact that their manufacture had only been possible within the Eye of Terror, that region of space where the warp spewed into real space and all laws of reality ceased to have meaning. That region of space called home by the Legions of Chaos.
The massive vessel resembled a vast spire of rock pitched on its side and left to lie for millennia at the bottom of some depthless ocean. Its ancient surface was a loathsome, glossy black, like the carapace of some vile insect, pitted and encrusted with lesions and fluid-leaking orifices. Its underside was studded with sphincter-like caverns that shimmered in a monstrous heat haze.

Once, long ago, this vessel had plied the icy depths of space in the unutterable vastness between galaxies, home and locus to billions of creatures linked together in a gestalt consciousness, enslaved to the imperative to consume biological matter and reproduce. It had drifted from world to world, stripping each bare of life, each creature within its shared mind acting in perfect concert with the vast over-mind. That had come to an end when the Warsmith had caused its neural pathways to become infected with the same techno-virus that infested the insane Obliterators, severing the vital link between the massive parent vessel and its offspring, stripping away the smothering blanket of belonging from the swarm.
No one knew how long the leviathan had fought the infection before the Warsmith's sorcerers had defeated its defences and dragged the barely sentient carcass to the Eye of Terror.
Over two thousand metres in length, it hovered impossibly above Jericho Falls.
A tyranid spaceship infected with the Obliterator virus. It does show that the Tyranid resilience to the warp and genetic mutation has limits - at least once the protection of the Hive Mind is severed.

Page 75
The grey bastions on the rocks above were over a kilometre away, but
Utorian fancied she could make out the faces of the gunners and soldiers on the firing steps.
Distance of the cannon fodder slaves the Word BEares are using form Tor Christo.

PAge 76
..Dervlan Chu watched the approaching line of vehicles through the gunsight of his Basilisk artillery piece mounted behind the walls of Tor Christo's Kane bastion with undisguised relish. The image was grainy and static interference washed through the sight, but its beauty was unmistakable....
Electronic/computerized gunsight. What's more this may imply indirect fire, as he's behind the walls of the fort, and yet he can somehow see where the enemy is. He must be tied into some sort of optical sight or scope stationed elsewhere, or he has some sort of remote spotting capability. Of course if the walls are elevanted like in the map, he may still be 'behind' the walls yet be in line of sight of the targets but.. as we see that makes things make evne less sense than with indirect fire.

Page 76
...he knew the precise ranges of his gun, and his loading team already had one of the
metre-long shells loaded in the breech of the massive artillery piece.
Basilisk shell. Since this is cased ammo (or at least, it uses a case) the actual length of the round may be ~50-60% the length (rough guess comparing to other shells), and the diameter is likely to be between 1/3 and 1/4 the length, so we're looking at maybe between 125mm and 200mm.. possibly a bit bigger (although I'd doubt it.) Most would seem to suggest it falls somewhere in the 6" range though, which would make these Basilisks roughly equal to modern arty.

Page 77
Smoke and dust billowed behind the attacking vehicles and soon they would be in range....
They're not in range? What the fuck? They're not much more than a few km away at BEST! Then again Graham McNeill tends not to be terribly consistent with his weapons ranges (300,000 km range for macro cannon in Nithbringer, but combat ranges - one for a nova cannon, a fraction of that in Warriors of Ultramar.)

Page 77
..the senior officers of the Christo, together with the omnipresent priests of the Machine
God, gathered far behind the guns, consulting an attack logister that was no doubt wired into the gunsights of their artillery pieces
The artillery pieces are indeed computerised, wired together into some central fire control computer.

Page 77
Chu smiled and returned to his gunsight, watching the range counter unwind as the enemy approached.
Range counter.

Page 78
The only deaths likely this day were those of worthless prisoners, men who deserved to die anyway for their stubborn refusal to follow the only true path that could save mankind from the multifarious horrors of this universe.

Where else but in Chaos could humanity find the strength to resist the implacable advance of the tyranids, the barbarity of the orks or the nascent peril of the ancient star-gods that were even now awakening from their aeons-long slumbers? Only Chaos had the power to unite a fragmented race and defeat that which sought to destroy it. The soldiers of the corpse-god only speeded the ruination of that which they purported to defend by resisting Chaos.

Well, the great work they undertook here would bring the ultimate victory of Chaos one step closer, and the Warsmith would surely reward all those who aided in his victory with the patronage of the gods
[

You know, I know this is supposed to reflect Honsou having the spirit of the Crusade-era traitors fighting against what they see as a corrupt, lying regime, but fuck does Honsou really think Chaos is better? He really believes that the Chaos gods would 'save' or unite humanity? That's not conducive to their ideal situation, which is - unsurprisingly - CHAOS. Having even more horror and conflict and death and desturction serves their purposes more than uniting and defeating them.

There's some interesting Sarpedon-like parallels with Honsou here in that he seems naive enough to cling to those sorts of beliefs, despite the fact that his experiences with the Traitor Legions in general must tell him otherwise. Or we oculd view it as one of those little ironic twists of Chaos - its ability to give one hope or to delude oneslf with false notions of 'good intentions' even as you commit acts of barbarity and cruelty. Honsou's dismissal of the cannon fodder certainly echoes that.

Page 79
Larana watched as one of the giant warriors
casually gunned him down, a single bolt from his weapon blasting the man's entire torso away
Bolt round blows apart a human torso

Page 80
Dervlan Chu pressed the firing stud on the armament panel and closed his eyes as the Basilisk fired. The massive barrel's recoil pushed almost its entire length into the track unit, the crack of the shell's discharge easily penetrating the ear protectors he wore.

Despite the bolted locking clamps, the track unit rocked under the force of the recoil. Even as the first shell arced through the air, his loading team was ejecting the spent casing and unlimbering a fresh shell from the gurney beside the gun.

He pressed his eye to the gunsight, checking to see how much the recoil had caused the barrel to drift from its aiming position.

Not much, he saw, spinning the correction wheel, bringing the aiming reticle back to centre, and adjusting fire for the next shot.
Their first shell hadn't even impacted yet and they were ready to fire again.
He centred the aiming reticle on a smoking track..
The recoil of the gun seems considerable, enough that the Basilisk chassis has to be locked down and even then it will still rock noticably.

Also the loaders are fast enough that they can reload the gun (casings note) before the shells land. Considering the absurdly short ranges involved that must be a matter of seconds, tops (which fits with Chu adjusting his aimpoint due to the recoil.)

Also, the Basilisks not only have reitcules, but there would be implication that the gusight might have some means of indicating barrel drift from recoil (other than aiming it, since he adjusts before aiming the reticule.)

The range is at least half a km to a km, and the height of the bastion is 60 m, although tis likely the guy is at least hundreds of metres back given the angle of the gun call it 700-1500 meters, a paltry 100-200 m/s. Which even for a 6 inch shell is not much recoil, so it has to be moving much faster due to the recoil, but the range is short so... AAAAGH

Page 80
...first Basilisk shell impacted, blasting a crater fifteen metres across and obliterating a dozen men in an instant.
She rolled over, across the lip of a crater, and flopped to its smoking base.
Scraps of flesh and bone spattered the interior surface of the crater, the stench of scorched human meat and burning propellant filling her nostrils.
The man sheltering in the crater stumbled over to her, his mouth working soundlessly up and down, but Larana ignored him, crawling to the lip of the crater...
Crater size of a basilisk shell. going by the ADC that implies around 600 kilos of TNT. Funny enough this fits with the 'kilos' mentioned in Wolf's Honour. Interesting how those things seem to work out in retrospect! Maybe someone at Balck Libarary reads my work :lol: Even if I was off by an OoM on that we're talking a tremendous amount of firepower for a single shell. Even if its larger caliber than Imperial armour implies (the 125-132mm - having shells pack tht much firpeower is even MORE insnae!)

In any case, it also implies it blasts apart a dozen men in a single impact, which given the 400 j pre square cm 'flay flesh from bone' flash burn value we might figure is a good 50-100 MJ worth, which works out to around 12-25 kg of TNT equivalent. Not as impressive a sthe crater, but it suggests the shells are at least as good as anything modern forces would have firepower-wise.

Not sure how much it might help, but accorrding to here a 16" shell makes a similiar sized crater, and the Schwerer Gustav can make a 10m deep, 10m diameter crater.

Regardless it looks like we're talking about many tens, and likely at least a few hundred kg of TNT equivlaent.

Page 83
As he swivelled the gunsight around, he saw that the guns mounted in Mars bastion had been equally thorough.
Chu returned the gunsight to his own fire zone.
He switched up a level of magnification...
He pressed the range finder button on the armament panel and cursed as he realised the APCs and the warriors standing before them were some hundred metres beyond the maximum range of his gun.
As he increased the magnification another level..
Multiple magnification levels and a rangefinder on the gunsight. Again remember he's behind the wall, yet he has 'line of sight' and can control the gunsight. Again he may be in LOS and direct firing, but given the values mentioned and all the other variables things get pretty damn silly.

Page 88
Honsou was now less than two hundred metres from the base of the rocky promontory that Tor Christo sat upon.
Range of Honsou from the fort.

PAge 90
Both burst within seconds of one another and the plateau was suddenly illuminated by twin suns burning brightly as they slowly descended on small grav-chutes.
Flares on grav chutes. Cute use of antigrav.

Page 90
Polonas grunted in pain, the accelerated healing mechanism of his body stemming the flow of blood from his severed leg in
seconds
Speed of Astartes coagulation.

Page 90
...now small arms fire began bursting around them. Las-bolts vitrified the dust and heavy bolters churned the ground. He felt an impact graze his shoulder and another clip his thigh, but these were little but annoyances: his armour was proof against such weaponry.
Las fire 'vitrifying' the dust on the ground but not much of th ground. Assuming it did melt the rock within a 2-3cm diameter 'crater' we might be talking 10-40 kj, although its purely a thermal weapon at that point and I'm not entirely sure 'dust' is the same thing as the ground, which would make this calc problematic.

The other interesting point is how Honsou dismisses lasfire even tho Hawke' sown lasgun wounded him earlier in the boko. It may be due to range, or iht location, but its kinda silly.

Page 91
[qutoe]A bolt from a lascannon hammered into the ground beside him, cracking the earth and
flashing the dust to vapour.[/quote]

That would tned to cast doubt on my previous calc, it would also tend to argue lascannon aren't quite on the high MJ side as I assessted (much less GJ) against the bunker, but that would ALSO assume all lasguns are alike, which is unlikely considering how varied every OTHER 40K weapon is in effect and operation.

Page 91
...as a mortar shell burst less than five metres directly above him, spraying him with razor sharp shrapnel. Red runes winked into life across his visor as the spirit within his armour registered breaches in its structure. Honsou could feel the stickiness of blood briefly run down his leg and back before his enhanced metabolism clotted the wounds.
...realised why he had been spared.

The veteran's back was laid open to the bone, his thick ribs and spine glistening and red. His head was a mass of gristle and bloody flesh, pulped grey matter pouring in a glutinous flood from his shattered skull.
Close range mortar of unknown type (presumably heavier than man portable though) mauls Power armour at close range. Honsou has Tau luck.

Page 95
He sat up and rummaged through the pouches on the side of his pack, pulling out his hydration pills. He swallowed a pair of blue capsules with a mouthful of water from his canteen. He had water and tablets enough to last for maybe three weeks and meal packs for two...

Even allowing for his light carrying capacity, the food and water supplies Hawke had access to must be damn lightweight.

page 95
He had a vox-unit and though he had been unable to raise anyone last night, he fervently hoped he'd be able to make contact today.
He had climbed a thousand metres over steep, rocky terrain...
The Vox unit he has must have a range of at least several km.

Page 96
He'd needed ten minutes on the respirator just to get his breath back.
The respirator has more than 20 minutes of oxygen.

Page 98
..the Battle Titans of the Legio Mortis strode the earth, the thunder of their footsteps
threatening to break apart this planet's fragile crust. The majority of the hellish war machines stood over twenty metres in height..
The 'majority' of the (battle?) titans - reavers maybe? - are 20 metres tall in this novel.

Page 99
Since the unexplained quarantining of the Star Chamber by Magos Naicin, they had been forced to try and adapt the vox-casters to provide them with some sort of link to the outside world. Much as it went against everything Corsil had learned on Mars, he had spent the last day and a half working on a dozen disassembled vox-panels attempting to alter the divinely decreed circuitry within each blessed device.
Two mechadendrites worked deep inside an open access panel on the side of the console,
adjusting the power couplings in attempt to reroute some of the power to the broadcast amplifier.
If he could isolate some of the more redundant systems - perish the thought that such a term could exist in relation to a machine - then he might be able to increase the range of the vox-casters by up to four per cent.
As much as they hate it, the AdMech will - when the situations require it - they will alter and even enhance the performance of their equipment - even incrementally, if the situation requires.

The implied redundancy also echoes the fact the AdMech seem to like to build in such redundnacy on purpose - reliability perhaps one factor, but also the fact they can perform such 'miracles' to improve performance if the situation requires. Performance-enhancing modifications are not unusual (whether its the modified engines on tanks and other vehicles, or the modified performance of a lasgun.) Hell that's what the 5th Necron Codex even told us about the Russes! :P

Page 99-100
The squad-level vox-net? That was normally reserved for small unit actions; for platoon and squad
leaders to issue tactical orders.
Hawke seems to have some sort of squad/platoon level vox unit. The Jouran don't seem to have micro beads. Of course given the nubmer of armoured vehicles they have and their essentially defensive garrison deployment they don't really NEED them, but still..

Page 101
Naicin had balked at Vauban's idea of employing an empathic server to gauge the truth, citing the unreliability of such a procedure without the subject actually being present.
A psychic means of truth-telling, although at ranges of kilometres its reliability is (understandably) questionable. :P

Page 103
The vast, southern gate of the citadel measured exactly forty-four metres high, thirty metres wide and was known as the Destiny Gate. Each layered half of the bronze gate was four metres thick and weighed hundreds of tonnes.
Flanked by the threatening forms of Mori and Vincare bastions, they were set within the sixty-metre high curtain wall of the citadel, surrounded by carven statuary.
Tor Chirsto's gates and its walls.

Page 104
Princeps Fierach commanded the Warlord Titan Imperator Bellum, marching at the head of eleven more god-machines. Another two Warlords flanked Fierach...
..the soldiers inside cheering as his thirty-metre high war machine raised its weapons high in salute.
Five Reaver Titans, smaller cousins to their leader's war machine, took up rear positions and four Warhound Scout Titans loped alongside the Battle Titans.
the loyalist demi-legion, or at least those present at Tor Chirsto. 12 Titans - 3 warlord, 5 reaver, 4 Warhound. The Warlords are 30 m tall.

Page 105
Five hundred vehicles, a mix of battle tanks and armoured fighting vehicles..
Battalion A's mechanised/armoured units. Along with B and C's that means at least 1400 vehicles. Depending on how big the companies at the Space port were, there might have been another 70-100 or so vehicles there, if the ratio between men and vehicles held constant.

Page 106
Less than half the size of a Reaver Titan, the Warhound was an agile Scout Titan, the
forward eyes and ears of the Legio.
Warhounds are 1/2 the size of a Reaver. Assuming 20 metre tall Reavers (hinted by the Mortis forces) we might be talking 10 m tall warhounds in this book.

Page 106-107
There was none at the moment, but it never paid to be too complacent when your void shields
could be taken out with one good volley.
The enemy line was a kilometre away and he knew their speed would protect them from all but a desperately lucky shot.
...Carlsen had a healthy respect for infantry and armoured vehicles. Friendly support was vital for a Titan of his size. Enemy infantry and vehicles could pose a serious threat to a Warhound.
Warhounds. Not sure what sort of weapons can take out voids 'with a good volley', but warhounds are much more vulnerable to enemy than bigger tnaks. Again a km away - what sorts of fucking rnages are in this book?

Page 106-107
...[warhounds] sprinted ahead of the Legio's Battle Titans.
Behind him, advancing abreast, came a portion of the armoured might of the 383rd Jouran Dragoon...
Leonid watched the two Warhounds tasked to his storming force race ahead, their speed incongruous for such large machines.

Slower moving Reavers strode alongside his formation while the majority of the Legio advanced on the salient angle of the attackers' trench line...
Implies that the Warhounds are outrunning the batlte titans and the tanks (Russes and Chimeras) are keeping up. This is clearly 'off road' speed.. and it suggests that the speeds are at least 27 km/hr (Reaver striding speed) and possibly as high as 58 km/hr (Warhound striding speed), although the later bit tends to suggest that they're not quite keeping up with the Warhounds top speed.

Given what we know from Honour guard and Gunheads about Russ speeds (in excess of 30 kph off road) this is not surprising.

Page 108
...the Jouran armoured thrust would hit the east/west trench line, storming the trenches with four thousand warriors hell-bent on revenge.
At least 4,000 of the 7,000 (remaining) A Battalion troopers are part of the 500 vehicles. That implies a good 300-400 of those vehicles must be Chimeras. Again they're not fully mechanised, but for their size a damn large chunk of them are (over half, easily!)

Page109
Thick grey smoke wreathed the plateau, obscuring the Imperial
tanks, but the Iron Warriors in the bunkers were able to penetrate such petty obstacles as smoke with their gunsights.
Iron Warrior gunsights penetrate smoke.

Page 109
Diesel smoke and the choking stench of exhaust fumes filled the air as hundreds of armoured tank..
The Chaos forces seem to be running on diesel fuel. Diesel and promethium are different things.

Page 110
PRinceps Fierach strained to see the enemy battle lines through the clouds of smoke thrown up by the barrage from the citadel and Tor Christo. Billowing banks of red dust hung in the air, rendering him virtually blind...
Apparently these particular Battle titans can't see through smoke either, although the Iron Warriors can... *shrugs*

Page 110
He linked his consciousness to the Titan's sensorium, noting that his battle group was moving a little too fast, outpacing the slower tanks of the Guard in their haste for battle..
They also seem to be able to outrun the Guard tanks even with the Warlords. What's more, is once they spot the Dis Irae, they pour on even MORE speed.

Page 111
"Are you sure? Such a manoeuvre will leave the Jourans dangerously exposed."
"Damn the Jourans!" bellowed Fierach, "I want that Titan! Now be silent and follow me!"
And in a move that would do a Soul drinkers novel proud, the Titans break off to pursue their own agenda. Although to be blunt I'm not sure the armoured thrust would do much against fully prepared titans and the Chaos forces even unified, but its still pretty stupid for them to have broken up like that.

Page 112
They were almost there and hundreds of tanks
belched smoke from their dispensers to confound the targeting spirits in their enemy's weapons.
blind grenades I suppose to thorw off targeting sensors. Of course in this novel all smoke seems to do that. :lol:

PAge 112
..a shot streaked from a bunker in the centre of the traitor line, covering the distance to its target in less than a second. A Leman Russ was slammed sideways as the missile punched through its frontal armour. The superheated core of the missile ignited the vehicle's fuel and cooked off its ammunition, blowing it apart in a greasy black fireball.
Must have been a big missile to send a Russ punching sideways.AS it breaches the front armouor, which means considerable momentum. Although in this case it penetrates. one side.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Re: Iron Warriors series analysis thread

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Part 2.

Page 113
Then the heavier blasts of enemy Titan weapons joined the fray, blasting tanks to atoms with the unimaginable power of their weapons.
This owuld imply the Titans are melting/vaporizing Titans with their shots (single shots?) Which suggests double or tirple digit GJ at least, assuming iron composition.

PAge 120
They fired their lasguns and grenade launchers, but the range was too great.
Despite the tiny impact Leonid's command squad had on the traitor line,..
Either his command squad has multiple grenade launchers or their lasguns have their own built in grenade launchers.

Page 121
Brave and glorious though their charge had been, the rational part of Leonid's brain suddenly realised its folly. Frantic charges against fortified positions without fire support were the stuff of legend until you actually had to do it yourself.
Unless you're in an Imperial Armour book, then its thematic necessity.

PAge 122
A giant fist smashed him in the chest.
He lifted his head and moaned as he saw scarlet blood on his breastplate. Was it his?
He saw broken, blood stained earth bouncing below him and a bloodstained Jouran uniform jacket.
"You were ahead of everyone else and took a round to the chest. Good thing you had your flak jacket on underneath your breastplate, eh? Still, you're going to have a hell of a braise, sir."
"Yes, I think you caught it in the solar plexus, so just lay still for a while, sir. You're going to be alright."
The officer gets shot and survives. The context implis the flak Jacket protects him, although latre on it mentions the breastplate being merely 'dented', so it may not be wholly the flak jacket (despite what I said the first time I covered storm of Iron.) It's not impossible, but it cna't be wholly ruled out either. To be fair, the fact he's bleeding tends to suggest the breastplate was at least breached, unless the blood is someone else's.

The other issue is we dont know what kind of wepaon it was. The cultists are noted for haivng bolt action rifles, but that may or may not help much.

Page 127
...he turned his Vulcan bolter on the lighter vehicles following the Land Raiders.

Shells tore up the ground, stitching a path towards them and sawing three apart in a burst of flames and blood. All three exploded, the shells ringing from the side of a Land Raider. The heavier vehicle lurched sideways,..
Vulcan mega bolter fire can knock a Land Raider sideways with impacts.

Page 127
The second slewed around, bringing its sponson mounted lascannon to bear and Carlsen felt the painful sensation of his void shields collapsing as the Land Raider's gunners found their mark.
Land Raider lascannon sponson knocks down Warhound voids. Whehter they were strained form earlier abuse or just this shot we dont know.

Page 128
He brought up his chainblade, the now dulled edge scoring across the barrel of the Dies Irae's plasma annihilator. Gouts of searing plasma energy spurted from the enormous gun, hissing clouds of superheated vapour geysering downwards and vaporising a hundred men in its fury.

VEnting steam form the plasma annihilator can vaporize 100 men... that implies at least double digit GJ from the side effects of the weapon, nevermind its actual firing.

Page 132
...a rabble of men in crimson overalls squatted behind shattered rockcrete tank traps. They
fired crude, bolt-action rifles over their tops towards the crater.
Chaos troops, bearing bolt action rifles.

Page 134
..skidding to a halt less than ten metres from the rear of the tank and raising Corde's plasma gun.

He squeezed the trigger twice in quick succession, sending bolts of white-hot plasma energy towards the tank. The shots impacted squarely on the thin rear armour and punched through it easily, instantaneously igniting the tank's fuel and ammo. The tank exploded in a red fireball, the turret buckling from the pressure of internal detonations.
Plasma gun as an anti-tank weapon at close ranges. I should note as well that he threw aside the VALUABLE plasma gun while it was stuck recharging to grab his lasgun. this is most distinctly against Munitorum doctrine :P

Page 135
Moderati Arkian had worked miracles, coaxing the Machine Spirit to invest their shields
once more, and without a second to spare as that damned Land Raider had come at them again. Once again it had stripped him of his protective shields before the Jure Divinu had flanked it and blown it back to the warp.
Land Raider again knocks down shields on a Warhound.

Page 143-144
"Why, Forrix? Why do you do me this honour? You have done nothing before now but deride me and keep me in my place as a mongrel, a half-breed."

"There was a time I thought like you do, Honsou. A time when I believed we fought for something more important than simple revenge, but as the millennia of battle ground on, I came to realise that there was no point to what we did. Nothing ever changed and nothing brought us closer to victory. I have been too long from the field of battle, Honsou, and as I watched you fight the Imperials, I knew that in your heart, you are an Iron Warrior. You still believe in the dream of Horus, I lost my hold on it many centuries ago."

Forrix grinned suddenly. "And the fact that it will send Kroeger into a towering rage."

Honsou laughed, feeling uncharacteristically charitable towards the venerable Forrix.

"That it will, Forrix, but he will be shamed by your decision. Are you sure you are wise to antagonise Kroeger in this way? He descends further into the grasp of the Blood God with each passing day."

"The young-blood is nothing to me. I see nothing for him beyond mindless slaughter, but you… for you I see great things. The Warsmith does too, I see it every time he speaks to you."
Honsou said, "In that I think you are mistaken. He hates me."

"True, and yet you lead one of his grand companies." pointed out Forrix.
"Only because Borak died at Magnot Four-Zero and the Warsmith has not yet named his successor."
"Again true, but ask yourself this: how long ago was the Battle at Magnot Four-Zero?"
"Nearly two hundred years."
"Aye, and do you think that in all that time the Warsmith could not have found someone to lead the company?"
"Obviously not, or he would have done so."
Forrix sighed and snapped, "Perhaps that tainted blood of yours has made you as slow-witted as Dorn's lap-dogs from whence it comes! Think, Honsou. Had the Warsmith named you Borak's successor there and then, would any of his warriors have accepted you? No, of course not, and nor should they have, because to them you were just a despised half-breed."
"Not a lot has changed, Forrix."
"Then you are more foolish than I took you to be,' snarled Forrix, marching back along the trench to the supply depots and leaving Honsou confused and alone in the half-finished battery."
This is one of my favorite passages, because it shows both the high points of the novel and what could have been. At this point we have Honsou, the reviled newcomer, being accepted and given advice by a veteran. And the Veteran who had lost his fire, rediscovering it through observing the actions of a younger, more idealistic contemporary. There's a certain symmetry there I rather like.

What ruins it, however, is that Honsou is dense as a brick. Its small wonder Forrix snaps at him, because he is acting fucking dense. What's more, this camaraderie doesn't last, because it goes downhill from there. Forrix dies and.. we're stuck with Honsou. Which is pretty retarded considering how much character development Forrix gets. McNeill could have used the pair of them to build off each other - Honsou being mentored by Forrix, as a fair bit of Storm of Iron was driven by the fact Honsou was something of an ignorant outsider and needed teaching. The fact that he somehow got command of the whole great company and became some sort of great adversary despite all this still rankles even now. But had Forrix and Honsou worked together... it could have been alot like other 'chaos' novels like the Night Lords novels.

As it is, Honsou is a lucky moron.

Page 145
Lodged atop a tapered rhomboid at the chamber's centre, the flesh of the arch magos's face - all that remained of his organic body - was suspended in a gurgling vat of life-preserving fluids. Ribbed copper wiring trailed from behind the skin, twitching wires stimulated the atrophied muscles of his face. Clear tubing pumped oxygen-rich nutrients through his ravaged capillaries and the fragmentary scraps of cortex that were all that remained of his brain, the rest having been replaced and augmented with kilometres of twisting corridors of logic stacks.
Our mechanical Archmagos again.

Page 145-146
For six centuries, Amaethon had been linked to the beating heart of the citadel, monitoring every facet of its operation and that of the cavernous laboratorium hidden beneath it. For the last century of that service, he had been unable to leave this sanctuary, steadily becoming more a part of the citadel as each portion of his body withered and died. Soon the old man would be gone completely, his bio-engrams broken down and reduced to nothing more than task instruction wafers to be fed into worker-servitors.
Naicin knew Amaethon's fragile grip on reality was slipping, and it was a rare moment when he was able to summon up enough memory to interact with others.
Its an interesting variation on AdMech practices and increaseing 'mechanization' in a way, and it hints at becoming something more.. 'purely' mechanical albeit less self aware. And he also seems to be going insane much more quickly than some do (EG the Magos in the second Eisenhorn novel.)

Page 147
"When the time comes that the enemy approach the inner walls of the citadel, you will be under immense strain to hold the energy shield in place as well as maintaining the citadel in working order."
The main fortress has its own shields, albeit they require the Archmagos to remain active it seems (as well as to facilitate the functioning of the facility itself.) A single failure point like that with no backup is a rather significant flaw, methinks.

Page 147-148
One massive gun, an ornate long-barrelled howitzer, was struck a glancing impact by a shell bursting directly overhead. Imbued with the bound energy of a daemon from the warp, the war machine screamed in lunatic fury, breaking free of its sorcerous bindings and running amok in the communication trench, crushing the four score slaves who pulled it and the guards who watched over it.

It took the combined efforts of Jharek Kelmaur, seven of his cabal sorcerers and the souls of a hundred slaves to placate the daemon
Daemon guns. Because they're chaos, and chaos uses daemons in everything.

Page 152
Forrix swept his power glove through the chest of a man wearing a gunner's reinforced flak vest, his upper body exploding in blood and bone.
REinforced flak vests, and a power fist exploding a torso (apparently)

Page 153
A white-hot beam of plasma energy slammed into his chest, instantly obliterating the blasted iconography there and searing through layers of ceramite armour. Forrix felt the heat of the plasma scorch his skin and he staggered under the force of the impact.
Plasma fire breaches the chest plate of Forrix's terminator armour.

Page 154
enough. A single shell clipped his thigh as he twisted out of the line of fire, instantly shearing his leg from his body just below the hip.

He landed in a bloody bundle, shrieking in agony as he saw the ragged stump of his leg, its remains hanging by gory threads.
Storm bolter round.

Page 155
Honsou tripped as the rocks slid out from beneath his feet, narrowly avoiding being obliterated by a shot from a lascannon.
Honsou avoids being 'obliterated' by lascannon shot. Assumign we mean he avods getting blown apart like a grenade, we're probalby talking at least a few MJ (If we go by the trusty 'flay from bone' flash burns, 8-10 MJ, although how they got it that wide is another story...)

Page 155
Bright stabs of las-fire from above pierced the smoke in huge numbers, melting rock and hissing against armour. A bolt stuck his shoulder guard, staggering him, but he pressed on.
More shots riddled the shattered breach, vitrifying the rock and pitting the ground with bullet impacts.
Lasfire melting rock again. This might put more credence in my earlier calc than vitrifying dust did.

PAge 155
He pushed himself angrily to his feet and cursed as he saw three black-steel tubes bound together with packing tape clatter down the slope of the breach.
Two Iron Warriors were snatched away in the blast, their armour ripped open by the force of the demo charge. Honsou rolled upright, his armour smoking from the explosion and clawed his way back up the breach.
Three demo charges (tube charges?) take down Iron warriors. Demo charges in Forgeworld are 9 kg shaped charges (and not tube shaped) while in FFG they're 1 kg apiece. I'm leaning more towards the 'single kg' figure, since I'm thinking 3 9 kg charges would be ab it too bulky for people to hurl down.

Page 155
Honsou felt powerful impacts from a heavy bolter slam into his armour. Pain blossomed up his left arm as one shell found its mark in the gap between his vambrace and elbow guard.

Honsou's armour stands up to heavy bolter fire

Page 156
Honsou saw another Iron Warrior fall, his armour pierced by a smoking hole
punched in his breastplate
Something penetrates, we don'tknow what, except it leaves a smoking hole. Las cannon perhaps?

Page 156
The warrior beside him fell, his helmet a molten ruin,..
Again no idea what did it, but assuming a 20 kg helmet (like from flesh and Iron) we,re talking double digit MJ (40-50 MJ maybe). Possibly a plasma or lascannon.

Page 156
..shooting him in the head. Blood sprayed from the stump of his neck..
Honsou shoots a guardsmen in the head, exploding it.

Page 157
Hundreds had fallen, their bodies shredded by automatic weapons or burned by las-fire.
Lasfire injuries are distinctive from gunfire injuries, suggesting its not punching holes or exploding parts of the body, but relying on severe thermal effects (burns). Although the extent of burn injuries isnt known.

Page 159
He knew the images he was seeing on the remote pict-viewers...
The Tor Christo command center has images relayed from pict viewers in/around the citadel.

Page 163
"And my bolt is 0.75 calibre, diamantine tipped with a depleted uranium core...."
Bolt round that seems to be of a non explosive, but high penetrating variety. I wonder if this is Graham putting his own spin on the fluff again or if it was originally a typo and meant to be the 'depleted deuterium' we usually see.

Page 163
Almost three metres tall, the huge figure took a step into the light and Tedeski felt his heart hammer against his chest
Height of Marine in Termy armor.

Page 164
Tedeski pushed Yelede towards the centre of the chamber where a tall podium with a dozen thick brass rods set into grooves on the floor pulsed with energy.
I think those are supposed to be fuel rods or containers of some kind for the Tor Christo reactor.

Page 165
The man fired his bolt pistol and Forrix grinned as he felt the ringing impacts against his thick armour. He felt a sensation he had not known in many centuries, but recognised as pain.
Earlier the bolt pistol round is ineffecitve against Terminator armour, but this time around it seems to have managed to inflict some sort of injury. Whether its because the armour has been previously damaged, or just got lucky, we dont know. But it doesnt seem serious.

Page 165
He raised his own weapon and squeezed off a short burst, the shells taking the magos between the shoulders, disintegrating his torso and blasting him clear of the dais in a welter of blood and bone.
Forrix's weapon, however, is MUCH more effective.

Page 165
Forrix mounted the dais and saw that they had cut it close, a few more minutes and Tor Christo would have been reduced to a useless molten ruin.
What would happen if they blew the reactor.

PAge 169
Those Titans that had survived the battle had wisely retreated to their armoured hangars for repairs, their crews confined to barracks while the Legio's judiciary sought to apportion blame for the debacle. Fierach's death made it that much easier for them, giving them a conveniently dead scapegoat. Princeps Daekian, commander of the Warlord Titan Honoris Causa had come before the senior officers of the Jouran Dragoons in full dress uniform, offering his sorrow and a formal apology on behalf of the Legio Ignatum.
For an officer of the Legio to offer his sword to another was a declaration that should he fail in his
sworn duty, he was willing to be killed by his own blade, and have the gods of battle mock him for all eternity.
Political and legal dealings within the military hierarchies of the Imperium. The Titan Legions have their own judicial arms, and it seems they at least (moreso perhaps than the AdMech) have a sensitivity to inter-organizational politics and the need for unity. I'll give them that much credit, although calling Fierarch a 'scapegoat' is a bit silly since he was the one who fucked up.

It also reflects one of those aspects of the novel that make it good, and get underplayed - the sense of cooperation and unity in the face of a serious, deadly threat.

Page 170
"I am proud of you, Mikhail," said Vauban suddenly. "You have a quality that I do not: you have the ability to empathise with the men in your command on every level. From the formality of the officers' mess to the gutter-talk of the barracks."
"I am a competent and experienced leader," continued Vauban, "but I have never enjoyed the love of my soldiers. I have always told myself that it is not necessary for my men to love me, only that they obey. Your men love and respect you, and, better, they trust you not to lead them into harm's way without good reason."
A rather different style of leadership than portrayed in the IG Codex isn't it? SUCK IT CHENKOV!

Page
"I have, but such a plan would involve the Adeptus Mechanicus and I do not trust them any more."

"Nor I, but we will need their help if it is to work."
"Sir, you know Amaethon is slipping and cannot be relied upon any more. He is a fool, and worse, he's dangerous."
"Be careful, Mikhail. The Adeptus Mechanicus is an ancient and powerful body, and Amaethon is still senior to you and therefore deserving of your respect. Despite the truth of your words I will not have you utter them again."
"But we are supposed to be above this sort of thing!"

"We are above it, my friend, which is why you will say nothing more about it. If we are to triumph here, we need to keep the Adeptus Mechanicus on our side. It will achieve nothing if we alienate them."
Politics again.

Page 174
Each piece was heavy, almost too heavy, and were it not for the wheezing mechanical arm Kroeger's butcher-surgeons had grafted to her shoulder she would have been unable to lift his armour clear. The black-steel metalwork of the mechanical arm was nauseating to look at and the feel of its corrupt bio-mechanical components worming their way through her body made her want to rip it from her shoulder. But the writhing black tendrils of synth-nerve had forged an unbreakable bond with her own flesh and she could no more remove it than she could stop her heart from beating.
The weight of Kroeger's (power?) armour, which seems to be daemonically possessed, and seems to be far heavier than a human can wear (the pieces are barely enough for a person to carry and they need augmetics to do so.)

Also Chaos augmetics.

Page 180
On the twentieth day of the siege the two saps driven forward from the first parallel were linked by a second parallel, some six hundred metres from the edge of the ditch protecting the walls of the frontal bastions.
Range of IW lines from the base.

Page 185
He had travelled three kilometres across exceptionally difficult terrain and had another two kilometres to go before nightfall...
5 km at least (probably 6) from the base, establishing a range of the vox unit he carries.

Page 186
He was amazed at how good he felt, despite not having taken any detox pills for over two weeks. He had become lean and his muscles, especially in his legs, had become well-defined. He smiled as he realised he was in better shape than he had been for years. His spreading midriff was gone and his lungs felt clearer than ever.
There's a reason for this but... I'll save that.

Page 186
Observers in the blockhouse on the northern slopes scanned the shield for breaches, as some shells were slipping through where coverage was incomplete, and detonating within the citadel's supposed safe areas.
When the shells had first breached the shield he had spent an infuriating hour waiting to be hooked up with the Machine Temple on the holo-link.
"Why is the shield not holding?" he had demanded.
"It is… arduous work to maintain such a… a prodigious energy barrier," explained the arch magos in stuttering, halting speech. "To maintain all other systems at peak efficiency as well as the shield… requires great strength."
Why is this a problem? Other void shields don't have this issue, so why is this one, on a facility vital enough to house a demi-legion of titans, different? Particularily since the need of active maintenance is a major flaw in defense?

Page 188
Leonid's breastplate was bronze, but also gleaming. The dent in its centre where he had been shot had been repaired and the armour was as good as new.
Suggests the breastplate was not penetrated, at least not very deeply.

Page 190
"We believe the explosions threw enough debris up to cover the oxy-recyc units and the men within choked to death."
"Choked to death? Then why are their hands covered in blood?"
"It is logical that the men stationed here would have tried to exit the facility when they realised their air supply was cut off."
"Facility staff do not have access to the codes that allow the exterior doors to open. It would constitute a security risk were one to be compromised."
I dont know if this is AdMech practice, or standard Imperial security, but man its dickish.

Page 191
He fumbled in the pack for the clumsy breathing apparatus and dragged it over his head,
flicking on the illuminator above the faceplate.
something I never noted the first time, but having a light built into the mask is actually darn useful.

Page 192
The men's faces were smeared with soot and their sky blue uniform had been left in the barracks in favour of plain black flak jackets
'night time' body armour

Page 192
He clutched his bolt pistol close to his chest, running crouched over, the breath heaving in his lungs. The traitor line was still a few hundred metres away.
Even in the dim light, Vauban could see a head raised above the level of the ramparts of the enemy earthworks and counted down the seconds until the attack hit home.
Implies a possible range for weapons and such, at least from the Traitor Lines.

Page 193
Yosha pulled out a set of blackened and ancient field goggles. A bizarre protuberance
slotted over the eyepiece and Yosha pulled it over his shaven head. He rested his chin on his hands and trained his gaze over the parapet.
The Chaos trooper (cannon fodder) have some sort of NVG goggles.

Page 193-194
A sharp, buzzing crack whipped by him and blasted the back of Yosha's head open in an
explosion of blood and brains.
...switching his gaze from the headless corpse to the ground before the earthworks. The whipping noise slashed past him again and a puff of earth exploded next to him.

Sniper!

Klane ducked down behind the parapet and cocked his rifle, his head working left and right to see other sentries dropping, no doubt picked off by Imperial snipers on the walls of the ravelin. He swore again. There must be an attack coming in!
Earlier I noted they were 600 metres awy. That implies its at leats possible to shoot at targets from the fort. We're talking at least 'a few hundred metres' away, plus around 50-100m (judging by the map) for the fort and its defenses. So between 350 and 700 meters roughly for 'snipers'. Presumably some sort of lasgun but it might be a projectile weapon too.

The 'snipers' weapons can also presumably headshot target (or at least the trooper believes so.) We know that lasguns can do it, so its not unreasonable.

Bear in mind that alot of this is a 'context' type quote - the Chaos Trooper in question believes the IG troops are doing it, but in reality the Imperial Fists have just infiltrated the lines (so its a bolter doing it. But the fact they didn't automatically jump to the notion of Space Marines doing it implies that other forces can do that level of damage from those distances. It doesn't mean that conventional troops can, but still..)

Page 198
And over the past hour, he'd been mildly electrocuted twice, burnt his fingers three times and almost fallen thirty metres to the solid rockcrete floor.
the orbital torpedo is at least 30 meters tall, but probably not much more than that.

PAge 198
"Now we have to inform the war-spirit within the torpedo the whereabouts of its victim."
"Now, I need you to remove a red and gold cable embossed with the rune of telemetry, then—"
"It resembles a winged triangle with a cog at its centre. It is connected to the war-spirit's seeker chamber. That's the gold box at the top of the panel. Once you have the cable, plug it into the vox-unit's remote triangulation output socket and wait. Once the lights on the vox stop flashing, reattach the cable to the war-spirit's seeker chamber."

Hawke found the plug and pulled it from the panel. He swore as he saw it would only extend some fifteen centimetres from the torpedo. He lifted the vox unit to the edge of the gantry, propping it against one of the uprights. He slotted the cable home, watching as the front panel of the vox unit faded and the lights arranged around the dial flickered in strange patterns.
Hawke's IG vox unit has the ability to receive and transmit telementary data remotely, in this case to a missile.

Page 199
The top of the giant missile was rounded and strangely irregular. There was a serrated, spiral groove cut in the warhead and Hawke guessed that this was to help it burrow through the thick hull of a starship before detonating deep inside.
McNeill was a fan of the 'penetrate before detonate' torpedoes, different from Gav Thorpe's 'MIRV style' submunition torpedoes.

Page 203
Hawke fired a hail of las-bolts, ripping the man's chest to bloody ruin and blasting clear the wall-mounted grille behind him.
This would seem to suggest either the guy was standing next to the grill (Behind it) or the bolts overpenetrated and blasted through it to hurt him. Or quite possibly both. The shots of course werne't enough to blast him into pieces but he was clearly shredded.

Assuming a 2-3cm diameter 'hole' punched through the torso and on both sides (400 j per sq cm) 3-7 sq cm per side, 2.4-4.2 kj per bolt. Calcing the grate is a bit harder, but if we assume the grate is roughly .5x.5m in dimensions (its about big enough for Hawke to crawl inot, but not a Space Marine) and about 5-6mm 'thick' around the edges, it might take one or two kj per pulse for a las-crater (1-1.5 cm across and .6-.8 cm deep, which should be enough to pull the crate free, especially if it is just bolted to the wall.) Call it 3-6 kj per shot at least. Lasgun rof can vary from 3-5 rounds/sec (uplifting primer and Last Chancers) to up to dozens of shots a second (Gaunt's Ghosts and others). If we assume between 4 and 40 rounds per second we could get between 12 kw and 120 kw.

A more general way to calc it is to assume that the chest is 'ripped up' in general. If it were just burnt, and we were talking between 20-40 cm across and 20-50 cm vertically we get between 400 and 2000 sq cm for the 'chest' at 50 j per sq cm we get 20 kj, while on the other end we might get 800 kj. IF we account fro both sides, it woudl be double (roughly.) This calc is probably more generous, since it assumes an even distribution fo such injruies (but probably not off by an order of magnitude - eg maybe 10-20% of the chest torn up) and the duration isn't specific, but its unlikely Hawke fires more than a few seconds, since there are multiple enemies (including a Space Marine) all gunning for him. This calc also does not account for the grating.

Double digit/triple digit kw seems a reasonable inference for a lower limit.

Page 204
....reaching inside the access panel and hammering his open palm against the exposed
runes, switches and buttons.

Nothing happened.

"Emperor damn you!" Hawke screamed in frustration. "You useless pile of worthless junk! Fire, damn you! Fire you bastard! Fire!"
"As the last word left his mouth, a rumbling tremor filled the chamber, klaxons blared and a series of lights began flashing at the chamber's top. Hawke opened his eyes and laughed hysterically. Of course! The Chant of Awakening!"
While it obviously plays for jokes in this scene (HA HA, IGNORANT HUMANS!) it could be that they need voice activation for some things (a security measure, for example)

Page 206
It soon became nothing more than a flickering point of light in the sky, climbing to an altitude where the air was thinner and its speed could increase. As it reached a height of nearly one hundred kilometres, the first stage of the torpedo separated and stage two ignited, increasing its velocity still further as the war-spirit caged within the warhead calculated the time, distance and vector to its target.

The torpedo nosed over, travelling at almost fourteen thousand kilometres per hour, and began hunting for its prey. The Adeptus Mechanicus had cursed its target and that curse now passed to the war-spirit. As the torpedo angled itself back towards the planet, the warhead identified its target.

With its target locked in its sights, the war-spirit vectored the nozzles on the second stage to fire a corrective burn that altered its flight path and sent the torpedo plummeting back to Hydra Cordatus.
The torpedo reaches a grand velocity of.. 3.9 km/s. I'm pretty sure nowhere near that can escape from a planet, but they really don't need it to in this case. Assuming about 20-60seconds to reach top speed and distance we might be looking at least at 6-19 gees, but thats just a guess.

Page 207-208
He bolted for the keep, shouting a voxed warning to the warriors inside.
"By all that is unholy, raise the keep's void shield!"
Forrix entered the keep, hammering his fist across the door-closing mechanism and set off towards its command centre. He heard the pervasive hum of the void shield generator buried beneath the tower powering up and fervently hoped that it would raise in time.

For if it did not, he and everyone in the keep were as good as dead.
Tor Christo has a void shield. One wonders why it wasn't active during the bombardment? Wouldn't that have helped to keep out the enemy? More to the point, who is 'maintaining' this shield, since the Magos at the main citadel needed to actively maintain that defense. Its amazing the flaws and inconsistencies in this 'defense' that exist.

Page 208-209
The Torpedo impacted almost exactly in the centre of the Kane bastion of Tor Christo where its triple stage warhead detonated with devastating results. The lead element of the warhead was designed to crater an opening through the thick hull of a starship, while the tail element would explode simultaneously, acting as a propellant and hurling the middle charge deep within its target, But instead of the metres-thick, reinforced adamantium bulkhead of a starship, the torpedo slammed into the ground of the Kane
bastion, travelling at over a thousand kilometres an hour. The first stage of the torpedo exploded with phenomenal power, flattening everything within three hundred metres and blasting a crater fifty metres deep.

The tail section blew and thrust the torpedo deeper into the rock of the promontory where the more powerful centre charge detonated with the power of a sun, ripping the rock of Tor Christo apart.

Night became day as blinding light fountained from the impact. Tank-sized chunks of stone were hurled through the air like pebbles as an expanding wave of blinding smoke and dust filled the valley. The thunderclap of detonation was like the hammer of the gods, come to smite the surface of the planet, and a surging mushroom cloud billowed a thousand metres into the sky, hurling ash and burning rock in all directions.

The ramparts of the bastions either side of the torpedo's impact sagged and cracked, their rockcrete walls splitting under forces they were never designed to endure. The crater in the centre of the promontory expanded with terrifying rapidity, tonnes of rubble and artillery pieces collapsing into the fiery pit.
Hundreds of secondary explosions were touched off as burning shards of wreckage dropped into the Iron Warriors' camp, detonating ammo dumps and fuel bladders, and setting light to hundreds of tents.
The blast wave buffeted the towering form of the Dies Irae, but the workers had done their job well and the towering buttresses and scaffolding held, keeping the monstrous leviathan from toppling. The massive Titan shook, its joints groaning and squealing as its external gyros fought for balance, but the Shockwave passed over it and left it intact. Several other Titans were not so fortunate and three Warlords of the Legio Mortis were brought down by massive hunks of rock or collapsed by the force of the blast.

The death toll had reached nearly ten thousand by the time the final echoes of the blast had died away and the blinding light of the torpedo's detonation had faded. All that remained of Tor Christo was the void-shielded keep, perched precariously on a splintered corbel of rock.
The destructive effects of the torpedo. Again its a 'penetrate before detonate' type, and multi-stage. Oddly the missile is implied to be moving at subsonic speeds now, which leads one to wonder where all the velocity it built up going UP into the air went. Logically, it would gain speed coming down if it was travelling at 14,000 kph before turnover, but not here. Unless we take 'over 1000 kph' less literally, this means they controlled the descent. Between this and the fact that the velocity it achieved on ascent was probably lower than needed to esacep the planet, they probably modified the torpedoes' parameters (which may include yield) for their own purposes.

The first stage makes a 50 m deep crater, which is between 180 tonnes and 1 km in rock - but this assumes that the ground is the target rather than the castle (the torpedo strikes on the bastion, and we dont know how its constructed so how this affects penetration and damage is hard to estimate so this shouldn't be taken as absolute.) This is conservative penetration depth, as the third stage (driving it into the target) detonates to push it even deeper below ground. What's more, given that in FFG and other sources we know that armour can easily be many tens of metres thick for larger starships (EG Grand Cruisers, like in Black Crusade core rules) penetrating that deeply into bare rock seems low (unless again they modified this torpedo for a specific purpose.

Calcing the main charge is difficult. For one thing its a subsurface detonation, and we don't know how deep. And while I'm not expert on such things, I'm pretty sure blasting out a crater with a subsurface detonation then having blast effects powerful enough to affect other targets is... difficult. The effects (like against titans) may be due to subsidiary effects or the destruction of the fort itself. The bastion itself was destroyed,a nd its later implied that they 'brought a mountain down' I'd assume the crater is probably at least hundreds of metres, if not several km across. And it seems to persist at least a few seconds (fireball-wise). It is also implied that the Dies Irae was at the limit of its range for some of its weapons which in other novels implies tens of km but I'm less willing to use that here because Graham McNeill is a bit funny about weapons ranges here (there's no way the titans are tens of km away here.)

On the other hand they're not levelling the continent (or even a country-sized area!) and there's limits to how much of a hole you can blast out of the ground (double digit GT would blast out a crater wide enough to reach the mantle on Earth in most places, for example.) and destroying a mountain does not need super-huge yields either (depending on mountain size, of course.) Megaton range seems a safe bet anyhow, but its probably not a hard upper limit. On top of that its not like torpedoes are all of one size or kind either, and this one is on the rather small side. If we assume a 250 kg per cubic meter, and a diameter 1/8th its length, the torpedo might mass 95 tonnes. Assuming a yield to weight ratio akin to a modern nuke (1-5 megatons per ton of mass) we're looking at 95-475 MT as a possible benchmark, and that ought to be more than sufficient to demolish the fort and cause the devastation observed.

PAge 212
Two batteries all but destroyed, the guns on Tor Christo gone and almost every daemon engine shattered. Millions of rounds of artillery had been blown to pieces, thousands were dead and weeks of work had been buried under the rubble of a destroyed mountain.
Again scale of devastation. Millions of rounds of arty going off probably would contribute significant levles of destruction on top of the nuke, but the mountain being destroyed is almost certainly up to the torpedo.

Page 212
"'Forrix, I trusted you to have our siegeworks at the walls by now. They are not."
"Kroeger, I trusted you to protect my war-engines. You did not."
"Honsou, you have been blessed by the touch of a creature of Chaos. You are now one of us. You have done well and I shall notforget this service you have done me."
remember what I said about wasted opportunities? There goes that bond between Forrix (the decent character) and Honsou (Iron Warrior answer to Sarpedon.) What's more, its flat out noted later that Honsou fucked up as badly as the others if not moreso (Honsou was responsible for eliminating the troops at the outpost, and he let Hawke survive, who was the one who triggered the torpedo and has been acting as a spotter for artillrey. What's more, Honsou despatched the troops to deal with Hawke, and they also failed.) yet Honsou gets feted. We get reasons later on (dealing with his idealism and the daemon it seems) but it really all seems forced and contrived. This also marks the point where I started hating honsou as a character.

Page 217
Two days to cross some of the most inhospitable terrain Leonid had ever sen. It had taken Guardsmen Hawke almost a full day to cross eight kilometres, never mind a hundred.
Not only that, but less than five hours later, the Space Marines had fought a major battle and emerged triumphant.
Imperial fists cross 100 km in a full day, wheras it takes a single (admittedly out of shape, but improving) Guardsman the same time to cross 8 km. Also this means Hawke was at least 8-9 km away when he's been voxing/sending telemetry.

Page 219
"'It has been over three weeks since this siege began..."
"Captain Eshara informs me that the Imperium is now aware of our plight, and that relief is en route to us even as we speak. Captain Eshara expects aid to arrive within—"
"Fifteen to twenty days at the most," said Eshara, his voice clipped and regal. "Fortunately, there is an Adeptus Mechanicus astrotelepath way-station less than twenty light years from where we picked up your distress call and naval vessels are within easy reach. The alert code we encrypted in the communique will ensure swift reaction."
The earlier response time was conservative, the esitmate is no less than 36-41 days, although it could be as fwe as fifteen or twenty. Alot depends on when and how long it took the Fists to arrive and dispatch the signal.

Also mention of an astropathic way station 20 LY from Hydra cordatus.

PAge 222-223
"When I look around this room, I see men of courage standing firm in the face of the most dreaded of foes and it fills me with pride. I have fought for longer than any of you have been alive. I have faced enemies of all kinds and fought beside some truly great warriors. I have never been beaten, so listen well. To do battle in the service of the Emperor you must understand that you are part of an unimaginably larger war and that you cannot fight for yourself. That way lies damnation and ruin. Together you are stronger than adamantium, but if you do not stand as one, you will all be broken like these canes. Castellan Vauban knew this. He may have been angry with certain decisions that were made in the past, but he knew not to put his own feelings before the welfare of his command."
"Do you all understand? I have been here but a short time, but already I see division amongst you. Such petty squabbling must be put aside. There can be no other way."
"Captain Eshara speaks with a truth and clarity we have lost. Gentlemen, from this moment on, we are a brotherhood united in our holy cause, and I will have words with any man who dares put that brotherhood asunder."
Again Eshara was a GREAT space marine character in this book, and this shows why. One of the positive aspects of this novel was how it emphasized that brotherhood and defiance of a deadly foe no matter how desperate the situation. He acted as a unifying element and a diplomat, which is far superior to the types of Asshole astartes you get. The manner in which he does it is even cool - he hands Leonid a cane, asks him to break it several times, and as each 'half' is added it proves harder to break. Then he reminds them of each of their vows - which all emphasize never giving up, unity, and brotherhood.

Its a pity this book had to culminate in Honsou, because 'brotherhood' could have been a great underlying theme for this story.

Page 225
The Dies Irae pounded the citadel, but its remaining guns were at their maximum range and unless the mighty war-engine could be made mobile again, its usefulness was limited. The remaining two Titans of the Legio Mortis were being kept in reserve until the final assault, though Honsou wondered if the grievous wounding of the Dies Irae had broken the nerve of the Legio's warriors.
Considering the range is just a few km, and other sources (like Titanicus) suggest ranges in excess of 20 km for titans this is a bit.. interesting.

PAge 230-231
"My compliments, Castellan Leonid, your men do you proud."
"..it is a pity that war brings out both the best and worst in men," sighed Eshara.

"What do you mean?"

"You have seen combat, Castellan Leonid, you know full well the barbarity soldiers are capable of in the fire of battle. But look around you: the bond of brotherhood that has formed here is something that only soldiers facing death can truly know. Every man and woman here understands that they may be dead soon, and yet they are in fine spirits. They have seen the sun rise, but none know whether they will live to see it set. To know that and make peace with it is a rare gift."

"I don't know that many soldiers would appreciate that."

"Probably not on a conscious level, no," agreed Eshara, "but on a level they may not even be aware of, they do. They fear death, butonly by facing it can they truly find their courage."

Leonid smiled. "You are a remarkable man, Captain Eshara."

"No," said Eshara, without hint of false modesty. "I am a Space Marine. I have trained my whole life to fight the Emperor's enemies. I have the finest weapons, armour and faith in the galaxy. It is of no matter to me who I fight: I know I shall be triumphant. I say this without arrogance, but there are few foes in this galaxy that can stand before the might of the Adeptus Astartes."

In any other person, Leonid would have said Eshara's words were arrogant, but he had seen him fight in the battery and knew that the Space Marine captain spoke the truth.

"I know I can defeat any foe," continued Eshara, "but your soldiers have no such knowledge, yet still they stand, knowing the enemy is superior to them. They are true heroes and will not fail you."
Again its hard not to like Eshara. He's one of the most likable Space Marine characters in any novel, and the whole 'brotherhood' angle this emphasizes could have been a good theme for the story.

He even comments about wishing he could meet Hawke because he seems heroic.

Page 231
"This citadel is a secret bastion of the Adeptus Mechanicus. They store and monitor the purity of the Adeptus Astartes' gene-seed here. There is a laboratorium hidden beneath the citadel with enough genetic material to create legions of Space Marines! The Despoiler had given the task of its capture to the Warsmith in return for his ascension. If we are successful, the Warsmith ascends to daemonhood! If we fail, he will be destroyed, reduced to the mindless horror of spawndom, cursed to live forever as a writhing, mutated monstrosity."
The secret of Hydra Cordatus. Why having such a VITAL facility in such a place as this and not better defended (or even simpler, just sticking it on a major world where the defenses are heavier) is beyond me.

Page 240
Forrix rocked under the impacts, bringing his weapon to bear and fired the underslung melta gun. The white-hot blast of superheated air punched into the Imperial Fist, incinerating his torso with a hissing detonation, the oxygen-rich blood in his body flashing to a stinking red steam.

A pile of armoured limbs and a head - all that remained of the Space Marine - clattered to the floor, the gory stumps cauterised and molten.
Again implied cremation/vaporization, call it megajoule to gigajoule range. Too lazy to be more specific.

PAge 247
Hundreds of soldiers were scythed down in the murderous crossfire, their bodies torn apart in a hail of shells and lasers. The first wave was almost completely annihilated, but thousands more followed..
Assuming around 1 MJ or so per body, we might be talking tens or hundreds of MJ (either to burn or to flay/shred by flash burn parameters I am more consistently using now.) We know there are no more than 12000 or so soldiers tops, and if they do it in a matter of seconds we could be talking at least 8-10 KJ per body per trooper output. Double digit KW seems reasonable int aht context, although this is far from a precise calc under any circumstance.

PAge 249
...the squad's sergeant shot the axe-wielding giant dead, blasting his head from his shoulders with his plasma pistol.
Plasma pistol headshots marine.

Page 265
Shots slashed through the air beside him, bright streamers of las-fire plucking at his armour or vaporising nearby patches of earth.
Heavier blasts of las-fire speared from the ramparts, blasting craters in the floor of the ditch and tossing severed limbs and gasbloated corpses high into the air.
Depending on if we take vaporize literally or figuratively, it could be a few kj for a few cm diameter crater) Literally? 58-198 kj.

I'm guessing the heavier blasts are lascannon. Assuming arm thick lascannon bursts (10 cm) at least 100 kj to punch that out by blaster. If vaporization occurs (above) we might be lookint at 7 MJ or so.

PAge 269
His powerful strides had almost taken him to the top of the breach when a deafening roar erupted from beyond the crest and the rocks before him exploded, huge chunks of rockcrete blasted to powder by shell impacts. Six Iron Warriors were obliterated in a single, devastating volley as a searing energy beam vaporised another's upper body, leaving his legs standing for a second before they toppled back down the rubble slope
Warhound Titan weaponry. MJ range easily.

Page 275
troops. A massive explosion threw up chunks of rockcrete as the enemy Titan's plasma annihilator opened fire and vaporised a corner gun tower on Vincare bastion, melting the rockcrete of the walls and causing them to sag under the intolerable heat.
Assuming a 2 meter wide tower, 2 meter tall, with walls 10 cm thick, we're talking at least a GJ. If we assume a 10x10 m wide, 1 m thick, its closer to 600 GJ. Vaporization of course would be higher, if we take that literally (as I did with the last calc.) but this is still an imprecise calc by lack of data and should be treated as such.

PAge 279
The two Titans slammed into the ground, the impact throwing Honsou from his feet and hurling him forward. He smashed into the top of the earthwork, rolling over its top as a river of plasma spilled from the ruptured reactors of the Titans.

Burning plasma flooded the ditch, incinerating the corpses that filled it in an instant. The Primus Ravelin was destroyed, crushed beneath thousands of tonnes of armaplas and ceramite. Huge flames and geysers of magma-hot steam ripped along the ditch, vitrifying the rocks throughout its length.
Death of two titans, one warlord, the other the Dies Irae. Together they mass thousands of tonnes, and the plasma reactor (liquid plasma!) of the Dies Irae 'incinrates' corpses with magma hot steam and vitrifies magma. Figure at least GJ range, if not TJ range output, although accurately calcing it is going to be hard iwthout knowing more about area of effect (at least a few tens of metres around the Titan seems likely.

Page 282
"Poison," he declared at last. "Slow-acting to be sure, and subtle in its effects, but poison nonetheless. There are many chemicals present in this tablet I know to be highly carcinogenic. It is my guess that after a few years of taking these, the victim would be suffering from one or more highly virulent cancers."
"Debilitating after maybe six or seven years and fatal soon after that."
Oh those AdMech! They're providing 'detox pills' to the garrison, all the while poisoning them slowly so that they need a constant rotation of troops to replace such losses.

It's also pretty silly that even in the suppoedly 'ignorant' Imperium people would be gullible enough to believe this. I mean really, if the atmosphere was poisonous wouldn't they force them to wear rebreathers? Even if it was mildly poisonous? Worlds with hazardous/dangerous atmospheres are not unusual in the Imperium, so if they're giving them magic pills rather than using rebreathers you'd think someone would notice. Nevermind they start wondering after HAwke asks. Again the AdMech are dicks.

What's more, thsi means the Iron Warriors are attacking a regiment that is, for all intents and purpsoes, badly debilitated by illness and probably at less than optimium (REcall that Hawke, not having taken the poison for a week, was feeling massively better.) Although thsi whole 'space caner' thing isn't handled in what I suspect is an accurate way (Hawke feels fine after a few weeks, and a few months after it Leonid and others start suffering from the cancers they seemingly aren't even aware of to this point?) Man the Jourans just can't catch a break in this novel, but it also skews the kill ratio.

Again this smacks of contrivance really. Its amazing how stupid on a second reading so much of this seems. And I mean FORGE WORLD stupid.

Page 283-284
Servitors were surgically altered slaves utilised by the Adeptus Mechanicus for a variety of manual tasks. Praetorians fulfilled the adepts need for heavy defence, featuring an augmented slave body atop a echanised track unit, with a variety of lethal weapon combinations implanted in the servitors' arms.
Praetorian Battle servitor. They're armed with bolters and autocannon and they're able to easily penetrate carapace of the escort.

Page 284
A flurry of las-blasts struck the Praetorian, which rocked back, bloody craters torn across its body. The battle-servitor didn't slow, it merely adjusted its aim and ripped apart yet more of Leonid's guard with deadly accurate gunfire, bullets spewing from the gun at a furious rate.
Lasgun fire against Praetorian. doesnt seem to be thermal now.

Page 284
He dropped as he was struck in the head and chest, blown apart by the mass reactive bolter shells as they detonated within his flesh.
guardsman killed by servitor.

Page 285
Leonid surged from behind the drilling rig as the wounded Praetorian finished the slaughter of the technicians. He squeezed off two rounds and the servitor staggered, two massive holes blasted in its skull. It raised the heavy bolter and fired as Leonid's third shot took it in the throat, blowing its head clean off.
Leonid's laspistol blows off servitor's (augmented?) head. single or double digit kj at least.

Page 286
The magos lifted his face and Leonid gasped in horror as he saw Naicin's true features, a swirling mass of thin, wormlike tentacles that glistened and writhed together to form the mass of his head. A cluster of milky and distended eyes bulged in the centre of his features, above a sphincter-like mouth, ringed with needle teeth.

"Mutant," spat Eshara, raising his pistol.
Naicin revealed.

Page 288
"Look around you, it is a wasteland! A wasteland created by human hands. This was once a fertile and bountiful world until the Adeptus Mechanicus sought to make it their own. Virus bombs killed every living thing on the surface of this world and rendered it uninhabitable for centuries."
A case where virus bombing a planet to wipe out all life is not permanant. It's not the first time such mention has been made. Technically this would be an exterminatus, which is not surprising considering they're the ones who make the damn munitions to start with.

PAge 288-289
...snarled Eshara plucking the pistol from Leonid's hand and pulling the trigger.

Naicin's head exploded, showering the platform with stinking yellow fluid and scraps of rubbery, tentacled flesh. The corpse slumped to the ground as Eshara pumped another four shots into the body.
Laspistol blows apart another head. Again single or double digit kj.

Page 289
Explosions of jade sparks burst from the edges of the room, flickering lines of lethal electricity arcing from machine to machine as the corruption of the techno-virus spread to every system of the citadel.
not unlike scrapcode, the techno organic obliterator virus can infect machinery. One of the dangers of Chaos.

Page 290
Honsou watched from the bastions mounted atop the shoulders of the Pater Mortis, nearly thirty metres above the ground.
Thirty metre tall Warlord.

Page 290
The fire against the bastions and curtain wall slackened as the Titans closed with the walls, now little more than shattered piles of rubble. Honsou raised his sword in salute to the Dies Irae as they passed over its molten remains.
I guess the released reactor 'plasma' has melted the Dies Irae. Probably also the other titan with it. assuming iron composition and 'thousands' of tonnes we'd be talking a terajoule. Over what duration that energy would normally be 'released' is up for conjecture of course.

Page 302
The Fires still burned throughout the citadel as the first rays of morning crested the mountains and columns of tracked tankers rumbled through the molten remains of the Destiny Gate.
PAge 302-303
"You have pleased me mightily these last centuries, my son. I have groomed
your hatred well and you have the seed of greatness within you.'"
"I live only to serve, my master." stammered Honsou.

"I know you do. But I know of your hunger to lead, to tread the path I have taken. It is clear to me now the course the future must take."

The daemon Warsmith drifted towards Honsou, its massive form towering above the Iron Warrior.

"You shall be my successor, Honsou. Only you hold true to the vision of Chaos, of the final destruction of the false Imperium. Forrix had lost that vision of our ultimate destiny and Kroeger, well, he cast it aside long ago. I shall not name you captain, I shall name you Warsmith."
The Warsmith explains why Honsou is his successor. I call it authorial fiat myself but...

Page 305
The Adeptus Mechanicus vessel Mordekai's Light drifted in geo-stationary orbit above Hydra Cordatus, its smooth black surfaces dull and non-reflective. Its kilometre-long hull was sleek and quite unlike the ungainly vessels of the Imperial Navy. This vessel was designed for speed and stealth.
Admech vessel of some kind. Probably an escort or recon vessel.

Page 307
He was scanning the sky, desperately hoping the ship would return, when the first orbital lance strike lit up the sky with unbearable brightness and streaked through the atmosphere to impact on the citadel.

He sat bolt upright as a massive explosion mushroomed from the citadel, scrambling backwards as a cascade of light fell from the sky, enveloping the citadel in blinding explosions.

Hawke watched, horrified as the barrage continued for another three hours. By the time it was complete, there was nothing left to indicate that the citadel had existed at all.
[/quote][/quote]

Lance bombardment to wipe out the remnants of the Hydra Cordatus facilities. I'm not sure if its literally a lance (it would be a prow mounted weapon if it was, since we're talking an escort) but it takes hours. WHy, the destructive effects, and the otehr parameters we can't guess at so I'm not going to bother calcing, aside from noting its not doing any significant ecological damage, kicking up ejecta or firestorms, etc.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Another update here, this time the Iron Warrior short book, released as part of the Iron warriors omnibus (in fact making up more than half of it, as well as all the short stories.) If anything, this one is probably WORSE in my opinon than Storm of Iron. It's all Honsou, and his grand plan is... to lay siege to a space station. That's right. He's not going to board. He's going to lay siege to a space station. Literally. This is Storm of Iron, in space. Except we don't have interesting characters like Forrix or even the Warsmith to diffuse the shere Honsou-ocrity of the story. About the only thing good about it is how short it is.

As I've noted before I don't like McNeill's Iron Warriors novels as much and I'm not really fond of Honsou. To me he's not a really 'Chaos-y' author the way Ben Counter can be. This isn't to say McNeill is bad, I'm just saying his strong point is more Imperial (Smurfs and AdMech, especially.) You can especially tell this considering that some of the 'less good' stories in the Ultramarines series tend to ALSO involve Honsou... its not a coincidence in my mind. So prepare to be subjected to Honsou's lunacy, denial of reality, and historical revisionism as we step into this next chapter of the Grand Saga of Honsou as he and his mighty horde of 17,000, fresh from the Maelstrom, seek to overrun a half company of Ultramarines.

Page 420
Honsou had won Etassays army at the Skull Harvest on New Badab, along with nearly seventeen thousand warriors of all stripes.
An entire Tyranid Hive Fleet (albeit a smaller one) of thousands of ships could not take down Macragge (albeit with help, I'll admit) and yet Honsou thinks he'll defeat them with 17,000 men of unknown quality, but probably include your typical crazy cultists and pirates. Contrast with Noctruen, Battle of the Fang, or Dark Creed.

Page 421
"Then you'd best not heed her words, for they did Abaddon no good. That fool has been sent packing with his tail between his legs more times than I've killed the dogs of the Emperor."
"..but the Despoiler's failings are his own. It was Moriana who guided the Despoiler to the Blackstone Fortresses."
"The Gothic War?" asked Vaanes.
"That was over eight hundred years ago, surely she must be dead."
The characterization of Abbadon is sadly appropriate, the reference to the Gothic War (and the events in the BFG blue book) are nice - always leave it up to McNeill to resurrect old stuff like that in an intresting way - and we get an actual implication of the limits of life-extension outside of time dilation effects associated with the warp and daemonic immortality (EG presumably juvenat and sorcery could only provide so much life extension.)

Of course, she's alive, and she looks like a walking corpse.

Page 424
"I know who you are and what you have done. I know you once stood in the presence of the corpse-emperor and I know why you fell from grace."
"You read a few ancient tomes and you think that makes you wise? Yes, I stood before the golden throne, but a half-breed like you will never understand the truth of those times."
I'm not sure what this suggests, either she's alot older than 800, or she was an astropath (or otherwise soul bound to the Emperor) or someting else. Whether it was before or after his enthroning we don't know... but it's interesting. I'm guessing we're talking Great Crusade era which is... damn impressive.

Also predictably, we get Honsou threatening someone from a GW source because he's honsou. A record that can only be matched by Talos of the Night Lords (who has talked back to Abbadon and Huron.)

PAge 426
"It's said that Mameus Calgar of the Ulltramarines supposedly held a greenskin horde at bay for a day and a night. Ridiculous, of course, but just the sort of over blown nonsense Guilliman's
warriors would put about."

This would seem to suggest the Ultramarines are big on propoganda.

PAge 428
"It orbited a world with a poisoned sun, a world whose atmosphere was burned away in a long ago age of heroes."
"Calth .. ."
The Word Bearers burned away Calth's atmopshere.

Page 431
A trio of blunt, wedge-nosed craft vomited through the tear, giant slabs if iron and stone worked into the form of enormous, columned fanes. Each was a kilometre long, an escort vessel decorated in the blue and gold of the Ultramarines
km long Space Marine escorts of unknown type.

Page 431-432
In the midst of the escorts was a sleek, dart-shaped vessel whose sprawling silver and gold etchings along her forecastle named her the Omnis Videre. The proud ship bore the heraldry of the Castanas family, one of the most respected Navigator clans of Terra..
Navigator-owned warp ship.

Page 432
Little more than giant plasma drives with a rudimentary crew compartments attached, six hundred of these tugboats trailed enormous iron chains with links fifteen metres thick.
Space tugs for the star fort. 600 15 m thick links would suggest many thousands of m width of rhte star fort, at least. More escorts and supply ships follow along.

Page 432
The tear in reality widened still further as something impossibly vast forced itself through, a huge, monstrous city in the stars that glittered with light

Four mighty piers extended from the central basilica, each a carved metropolis of docking bays, temples, armament assemblies, impregnable bastions and weapon emplacements.
A 'city in the stars' - far larger than the escorts combined

Page 433
<Confirm our position,> said Brother Altarion, his command carried on numerous channels. <I want to know that we have arfived precisely where we intended.>

"Surveyor gear is still showing interference, but known datum points match up to current locations." said Pater Monna. "Ninety seven point nine three accuracy of jump."
Accuracy of warp jump. I think this refers more to likelihood of matching up to the correct location than estimated emregence point.

Page 435
Olantor turned away from Sibiya. His hair was grey and his face pockmarked with the passage of four centuries of service to his Chapter. A career sergeant...
4 century old Ultrasmurfs Sergeant. Seems like he's not particularily close to the grave, either.

Page 436
Information passed back and forth across the bridge in various formats: verbal, binaric and noospheric. Though Olantor was not modified to receive noospheric communication, he saw Hestian sifting through invisible streams of data with efficient sweeps and stabs of his haptically enabled gauntlets.
Noospherics and haptics. McNeill is incorporating concepts from his HH novels :D

Page 436
<Shields?> demanded Altarion,
"Aether degradation is not yet low enough to ignite the shields." reported Hestian. "I estimate at least six point seven
minutes."
Translating from the warp to real space was a dangerous and messy affair with all manner of celestial phenomenon affecting the time it took delicate systems to return to full readiness. Shields and weapons were, unfortunately, the technologies most affected by such violent transitions.
It seems that warp translations can interfere with void shield formation.. at least during the entry and exit. Since they're based on warp tech this probably is likely. Of course it could just reflect the strain/disruption inflicted on all systems by the passage.

Page 436
"The bondsman is correct, brother." said Hestian, reading the noospheric link from the Navigator's station.
Useful tech for receiving data from various stations and systems on a bridge.

Page 437
"Contacts!" shouted Pater Monna, all traces of boredom gone.
"Multiple incoming tracks of sixty-plus fast movers! Torpedoes! Make that seventy!"
<Where?> bellowed Brother Altarion.
"The rings of Aescari Exterio." said Brother Hestian, his voice calm and measured. "Pack hunter predators lying in wait."
We don't know how many raiders yet, or exactly know how far away they are from the planet, unfortunately. I'd gather they're far more than a light second.. maybe a few million km away (usual emergence points from habitable planets.. but that assumes planetary gravity is a disruptive influence to warp gate formation, so it may not be right :P

Page 437
Some of the incoming tracks were too slow to be torpedoes loaded with conventional hullbreaking munitions.

Bulk carriers.

Or worse, boarding torpedoes.
Boarding torpedoes move distinctly slower than regular torpedoes (later identified as Stormcrow assault boats)

Page 437
...rousing the fifty warriors of the 5th Company from their training rituals and the six thousand Ultramar Defence Auxilia soldiers stationed in their many barracks.
This makes me wonder if Calgar permanantly detached fifty troops from 5th company (reducing its strength by half) to garrison this star fort, or if they're a detachment and 5th Company filled their losses. This is yet another case of PDF forces being deployed off-planet for particular purposes (like in the IA badab war supplements.)

The other bit of comedy is having all those PDF auxilia serving onboard. I guess Calgar really did go back to the old Legion setup didn't he? :lol:

Page 438
Agglomerations of numbers represented the fleet he had assembled at New Badab, an ugly collection of battered warships, bulk carriers, gunboats, system monitors and captured cruisers. Guided by Moriana's sorceries, his ships had anchored within the concealing radiation of Aescari Exterio for almost a month before the screaming vat-psykers
gibbered in anticipation of the Indomitable's arrival.
Honsou's fearsome armada and an intersting incident of Warp precog.

Page 439
Auto-firing defence turrets engaged the Iron Warrior's torpedo screen as soon as it came within range and space blossomed with massive explosions. To hit something as swift and small as a torpedo was next to impossible, but with enough fast moving debris slashing through space, it might be possible to bring down enough of the incoming weapons
Point defense. Interesting that they imply direct hits are impossible, becausethey do use lasers for point defense.

Page 439
Hull-breaching charges blasted through the thick plates of armour before a secondary motor ignited and thrust the warhead deep into the superstructure.
Dual charge, multi-engine hull penetration . SEems convoluted (KE and momentum of torpeod impact, plus breaching charge, plus secondary engine to propel them even further in then final warhead detonating.

Page 440
The Indomitable was a prize that could only be won by the warriors of Perturabo fighting as they were always meant to fight; with battery upon battery of artillery and thousands of warriors ready to sweep all before them in a bloody storm of iron
Yes, they're laying siege. To a space fort.

Page 441
Information scrolled across Olantor's visor, troop readiness levels, defensive topography overlaid with damage reports and schematics of the devastated southern pier.
Astartes visor information displays

Page 442
"The whole point of these random jumps was to confound anyone who might try to find the Indomitable. The only way they could have found us is if our jumps haven't been random."
Olantor wanted to contradict Sibiya, but her logic was faultless. It should have been next to impossible for an enemy to find them unless Brother Altarion's venerable mind was no longer as functional as it should be. Had he fallen into a predictable pattern?
The problem with all this is that it completely ignores the fact that precognition and divination of various forms is a fact of life in the Imperium, and Chaos and aliens both are known to utilize them. So why should it be so inconceivable that their location might be predicted? Eldar could quite easily pull that off and they can't possibly be ignorant of that.

Page 443
Clad in armoured environment suits and all-enclosing helms, the defenders of the Indomitable were ready to meet the invaders head on.
The Defence auxilia. I have to note that this entire story feels like he's trying to re-write Storm of Iron.

PAge 447
On solidly anchored iron platforms, bulking interceptor guns and flak batteries were positioned and linked to the surveyors of the ships above.
Anti-fighter defense.

Page 451
Counterbattery flre hammered these walled approaches, but as each Imperial battery unmasked to fire, Adept Cycerin identified its position and passed its precise coordinates to the Iron Waniors gunners. Ruthless bracketing fire hammered the battery, destroying it before it could retreat beneath its armoured hoardings.
Counter-battery fire.

Page 452
One of the fighting vehicles exploded, its engine block a flaming ruin as a loxatl flechette bomb punched through the armoured glacis.
Loxatl anti-armour weapon, I suppose. In adition to armored fighting vehicles they have supply skiffs (some sort of antigrav vehicle?) - whether this is because they're ona station or Defence Auxilia from Ultramar have access to such I dont know.

Page 455
Formed from banded ribs of adamantium and steel, it resembled something used to contain
hazardous bio-matter or unstable atomics.
'unstable atomics?' I wonder if that means certain kinds of unstable elements rather than explody atomic bomb type weapons.

Page 456
The main weapon systems of the star fort were next to useless in such a conflict, for its guns were designed to hurl explosive projectiles vast distances across space at attacking warships, not troops crawling across its surface like ants.
Unsurprisingly, space weapons move much faster than ground weaponry.

Page 459
Even Interrogator Sibiya had surprised him, fighting on the front lines with her Datian Saurians at her side. The Saurians were swarthyskinned men with long-barreled melta guns and heavy armour of
umber scale.
Earlier it was mentioend the Datians are a regiment fighting for the Interrogator, implying an entire regiment.. with meltaguns. BWAHAHAHA.

Page 462
A mix of high-energy conversion beamers, conventional, direct-firing maco-cannons and mobile laser drills, the war machines went to work on the base of the Gauntlet Bastions with a vengeance. Using the wall's mass against it, the conversion beamers blew open crater after crater in the structure, while the laser drills sliced through adamantium rebars with horrifying ease.
Space demolitions! Also note the use of conversion beamers in siege warfare.

Page 463
..a host of wiry kroot with rippling head spines vaulted from rock to rock as they climbed to the defenders above. Their skins exuded an oily residue that stank of burned fat and oil, but whatever it was it protected them from the vacuum and allowed them to breathe.
Void-adapted Kroot.

Page 463-464
Brutish ogre creatures, abhuman freaks gene-bred for strength and blind obedience, lumbered alongside the attackers. Each was armed with a fearsome chain grapple and enormous cannons tom
from the wrecks of fighter craft .
Ogryn or ogryn-like creatures.

Page 464
A heavy impact slammed into his chest and he grunted, knowing that only a bolter round would have the power to stop a Space Marine in his tracks.
Astartes bolt round.

Page 466
He drew his pistol and combat knife, a long shank of steel with a monomolecular blade.
Astartes combat knife. MERE STEEL

Page 467
A vile-skinned kroot sprang from the rocks towards him and he put a bolt through its skull. Coloured spines and brain blew out the back of its head and a gust of spraying air erupted from where the sealant gel enveloping its skin was breached.
Bolt round vs Kroot.

Page 468
Her Saurians raked their melta-lances over the enemy ranks. Flames leapt briefly over the enemy warriors before the lack of oxygen killed them, but the instantaneous superheating melted through armour plates and flesh with a flash of molten metal.
The Saurians again. Thermal lances maybe? Melta variants?

Page 470
Honsou ducked as the mecha-organic beast stomped past him, the impacts of its heavy treads sending yet more rubble skittering downhill. A bolt of blue lightning arced from its chest gun to the summit of the breach. and a dozen mortal soldiers were burned to cinders where they stood, their suits erupting in oxygen-rich flames before
swiftly snuffing out.
Some sort of chaos construct-creature. Incinerates a dozen armoured troops

Page 470-471
The Dreadnought rocked back, liquid lightning dancing across its granite sarcophagus and crackling hammer arm.
Same attack against a Dreadnought. Also.. granite? Is that color or building material.

Page 477
"The Master of the Ultramarines had his allies bind it within the wazp core of the star fort. The very energies that sustain it also imprison it, and the more it struggles against its bindings, the tighter they pull."
Daemon imprisoned in a warp core.

Page 478
Honsou looked through the integrity field built into the bunker's vision ports at the scarred face of the Gauntlet Bastions.
Void bunker iwth presumably a atmospheric integrity field built in

Page 481
On Interrogator Sibiya' s orders, her preacher had remained on the walls to fill the hearts of the defenders with frre and fury. It was wasted effort, for the soldiers of Ultramar did not respond well to such fire and brimstone hectoring. Theirs was a courage bolstered by thoughts of duty, honour and brotherhood carried through years of battle, not the hysterical fervour of the more fiery Imperial preachers.
Rather amusing.

PAge 481-482
"Archenemy escort ... Infidel class"

The light confirmed to grow until there was no mistaking its form; a starship, perhaps three hundred metres long, though it was hard to be exact, and streaming plasma and debris from its hull as it streaked towards the star fort.
Implies an Infidel class 'raider' is a mere 300 metres long, although that can't be the whole thing, unless there are multiple classes of Infidel. It would also represent another (rare) case of a small ship with warp capability, although like the strike vessle in Angels of Darkness, it must incorporate some real tradeoffs for warp capability since most 'typical' warp capable ships are no smaller than 1 km.

Also interesting is that the Infidel was supposed to be a larger replacement for the Cobra class, suggesting the Cobra (or at least some cobras) were of similar magnitude.

Page 483
Once it had been known as the Fellclaw, and had served with honour in the Imperial Navy, but its purpose had been perverted long ago, and now it was little more than a flying bomb. Its guns had blasted a trail of destruction along the Via Rex, but they were silent now, the mutated gun crews tom from their fused positions as the Indomitable's guns ripped the vessel to pieces.
Vast sections of the ship were blown off but the central mass of its core remained intact, thousands of tonnes of iron falling at high speed towards the Gauntlet Bastions.
Another inconsistency. Infidel raiders were based on designs stolen from an AdMech forge world and made into a Chaos starship and, to my knowledge, never served in the Navy. So either "Infidel" means other than what it means in BFG/FFG (which explains the size discrepancy), or there are differnet kinds of infidel raiders (possible, but unlikely) or it didn't really serve in the navy and it is an Infidel raider. I'm going with the first option, personally.

Page 484
Before the last shuddering vibrations of the Fellclaw's death had ceased, the Iron Warriors poured from fortified, void-shielded bunkers and began their fmal advance.
The Iron Warriors use void-shielded bunkers. Must be rather compact voids, and this is all stuff they borught with them and built.

Page 484-485
Scores of armoured vehicles followed behind him, a riotous mix of Rhinos, Land Raiders, Votheer Tark's surviving battle-engines and hundreds of looted flatbeds and half-tracks. Anything that could carry fighters deep into the star fort was pressed into service.
Honsou's mechanised assault.

PAge 494-495
The Lord of Macragge, Marneus Calgar had lied to them all. The daemon lord M'kar still lived.

Chapter legends proudly told how Marneus Calgar and 'Terminators from the First Company had boarded the Indomitable and defeated M'kar's daemonic hordes. Pages were devoted to the battle between Lord Macragge and the upstart daemon, entire tracts describing the poetry of his every blow.

Varro Tigurius spoke of the righteous wrath by which the Chapter Master had struck the daemon down with the Gauntlets of Ultramar and torn it limb from limb.
It was all a lie.
Shock and horror.

Page 496
"To manually trigger a warp jump without coordinates? If s madness. And to make
a warp jump this close to a planet .. ."

"I know,' said Olantor. 'The gravity well will drag us into its
heart."
I'm not quite sure why a warp jump would drag the ship closer to the planet. Mass lightening (mass goes down, velocity goes up? Something like what happened in Eye of Terror the way speed of light was infinite and ships could travel at warp speeds in realspace?) Or maybe it interferes with the warp portal's spatial distortion in some way that bends it towards the planet (and a collision.)

Page 497
This deep in the basilica, the walls were steel and bronze, stencilled with bold warnings of hazards and penalties for failing to observe appropriate safety measures. Imperial eagles and brilliant white 'U' symbols adorned every warning...
Ultramarine OSHA regs. :D

Page 498
A pair of a bipod-mounted autocannon unleashed a blizzard of
heavy calibre shells...
Honsou pressed himself flat. Explosive rounds chewed up the wall, spraying metal shavings and sparking flares over his armour, but doing no damage. Three of Salombars corsairs screamed as wild ricochets bounced around the corridor and cut them down.

An Iron Warrior dropped to his knees as a rogue shell pulped the side of his helmet. Blood streamed over his shoulder guard, but the warrior got to his feet moments later.

Honsou grinned, feeling the heady mix of combat-stimms and adrenal shunts pumping his body full of chemicals.
Autocannon fire vs Iron Warriors. A rogue shell (ricochet?) penetrates or badly damages the side of a helmet, but the Iron Warrior survives (albeit injured.) The fact Honsou takes cover is suggestive he considers them a threat at least (He doesnt take cover against lasfire, for example.)

Also Honsou's stimm/combat drug enhancements.

Page 498
Two quick squeezes of his bolter's trigger blew both of them back, the mass-reactive shells exploding within their armour and disintegrating their torsos.
His silver fist shattered the ribcage of a second, a snap shot cut a third in half.
Bolt rounds pulverizing torsos and bisecting troopers.

Page 499
Lasguns spat bright bolts of energy at him, but they were hastily aimed and only two struck him. One melted a bright spot on his breastplate, the other left a glowing streak on his helmet..
Lasgun fire on Honsou's armour.

Page 500
A glossy black shape exploded from the steam, a lithe figure with a bone-white mask in the form of a skull Its glossy black bodysuit was studded with injectors and stimm-shunts, but that was all he saw before it was amongst them.

It moved faster than even Etas say, its limbs a blur of motion as it charged with a roar of hate that struck to the core of every Iron Warrior with its ferocity.
Gunshots followed it, but its speed was inhuman, its body seeming to bend and sweep out of the path of every projectile.
They surrounded the assassin, clubbing and stabbing, but their blows met thin air. Combat-stimms boosted the Eversor's metabolism to monstrous heights, and its reactions were sharpened to impossible levels. It was a monster spawned in the depths of the Assassinorum's darkest laboratories, a killer, a destroyer and a weapon of ultimate destruction.
Eversor assassin. Seems to outdo even Astartes in sheer combat power, as it manages to massacre even the Iron wArriors in Honsou's party.

Page 501
As the assassin cut and sliced with its sword, it fired a needle-nosed pistol, blowing out helmets and kneecaps with every shot.
Whehter they are needle rounds or bolt rounds doing this, I dont know.

Page 503
The Eversor sailed over Etassay's head, and a series of glittering needles wired to chemical reservoirs on its arms snapped from its gauntlet.

The needles punched through the neck seals of Etassay's armour and a lethal cocktail of neurotoxins pumped out. Not even a warrior touched by the Dark Gods could resist the finest work of the Officio Assassinorum's venom-masters, and Etassay howled in a mixture of agony and ecstasy as they set to work on his body.
Another Eversor toy, the-neuro gauntlet. The fluff indicates that no ttwo Executioner pistols or neuro-gauntlets are the same (Implying that, like the Vindicaire Exitus weaponry, the Eversor's gear is custom made), which supposedly makes it hard to create a proactive resistance to it (using one Assassin's abilities to defend agains tanother.)

PAge 505
The needle gauntlet tore free from the Newborn and it collapsed, its aberrant flesh fighting to reknit in the face of such dreadful harm. Even its formidable regenerative abilities could barely survive such lethal toxins,
Neuro gauntlet poinsons seem to effect even warp-spawned/mutated things like the NewBorn.

Page 506
A screaming burst of superheated air erupted around the Ultramarines sergeant as Grendel's melta blast struck him full square in the chest. Armour, flesh and bone melted together as the impossible heat of the melta gun fused the warrior to the deck. Ceramite plates ran like wax, flesh vaporised and hyper-oxygenated blood boiled to steam in an instant.
Ultramarine hit by meltgaun. Melting the armor alone could take many hundreds of MJ (either silicon or iron composition assumed), nevermind vaporizing the Space Marine inside it (another couple hundred MJ at least)

Page 507
Searing energies slammed into his breastplate and Grendel roared in pain as the plates of his armour vaporised in the intense heat. The bodysuit beneath melted to his skin and burning blue fire billowed over his skull, burning away his mohawk in an instant and searing the skin of his face and head.

Grendel dropped the melta gun and his hands fled to his face, feeling his flesh bubble and run like molten pitch.
Plasma pistol burst. Not quite as impressive as a meltagun but still pretty nasty. Vaporizing through Astartes plate and the level of burns across the body inflicted would easily hundreds of kj to several MJ (50-100 j per sq cm at least, call the upper torso 50-100 cm per side - 100 kj to 1 MJ maybe for that alone. Vaporizing at least several Kg worth of armour is going to be many Megajoules on its own as well.)

Page 511
Behind the mighty daemon lord, the warp core continued to beat, the power of a hundred stars still caged within its heart.
Yet another 'like a star' quote to take out of context, and yes, it does infer power outputs for the warp core, albeit the kind of star is entirely left up to debate (It doesnt neccesarily mean like our son, although I expect that qualifier won't stop people from howling about how this really isn't all that precise a figure like they usually do.)

The hilarious bit is how this meshes with Execution Hour and the 'truly stellar' levels of energy needed to open a warp portal as well, its almost like consistency :lol:
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Iron Warriors short stories form the Omnibus. Actually I covered a few of these already (Skull Harvest and Heraclitus effect) so I won't touch on them, which spares me revisiting any more Honsou than I need to. One of them is a sort of connecting story between the Smurf novel 'Dead Sky Black Sun' and the end of Storm of Iron, which is what we cover first, and the other two pertain to events during and after the other Honsou-centric Ultramarines novel 'The Chapter's Due.' Like the Iron Warrior short book you'll be subjected to lunacy and stupidity as Honsou continues his grand crusade to... be Honsou. Doesn't ever seem to have much of a real goal, does he?
Anyhow, after this I'm done with the Iron Warriors, so I think I'll be starting either Horus Heresy or FFg stuff by the end of the week. Depends on what I still have to do and have left undone. Maybe I can do both!

Page 323
Leonid dropped to his knees at the sight of the monstrous daemon engine.
Vast bone-pistons drove it forward, iron and steel flanks heaving with immaterial energies. Bloody steam leaked from every demented, skull-faced rivet as wheels of tortured souls ground the tracks beneath it to feast on the oozing blood of the dead earth.

Deep within its insane structure, it might have once resembled an ancient steam-driven locomotive, but unknown forces and warped energies had transformed it into something else entirely. The thunder of its arrival could be felt by senses beyond the pitiful five known to humankind, echoing through the planes of reality that existed and intersected within the Eye of Terror, where such things were the norm rather than the incredible.

Behind it came a tender of dark iron and a juddering procession of boxcars, their timbers stained with aeons of blood and ordure.
Demon train.

Page 332-333
Ellard ran behind the Slaughterman, desperately searching for a weapon, as Leonid stood and fired again. The bullets went wide, smacking wetly into the hanging torsos and blowing them apart from the inside.
Astartes (raven guard I think) bolt pistol. Being used by a human.

Page 523
Lord Toramino had had most of his nervous system stripped out by adepts of the Dark Mechanicus and replaced with artificial receptors. It made him a dour battle-brother, but a warrior who wouldn’t flinch if an artillery shell landed right next to him.
interesting modifcation.
Page 533
The first enemy artillery shells screamed down and exploded above the plateau in a storm of deafening horror. Air-bursting warheads flensed the ground with a hellstorm of red-hot steel fragments; some no larger than a fingernail, others like scything axe-heads, and the carnage wreaked amongst the slave workers was horrendous. Honsou saw a man shredded to the bone, his skeleton pulped to a rubbery mass a second later by the pounding shockwave of detonation.
Arty shell detonation.
Page 533
Hundreds died in the first instants of the barrage, and a hundred more in the rippling firestorm that followed. Honsou heard their screams, but paid them no mind. Mortal flesh was of no consequence to him. He would sacrifice a million lives on the altar of his ambition, and then a million more.
Honsou makes Chenkov look humane and ingenious.
Page 534
The smell of cooking meat came to him, and Honsou looked down to see a long shard of shell casing jutting from the centre of his breastplate. The metal sizzled, and it was still possible to make out a white eagle and read the stencilled lettering on its side. He grunted and pulled the fragment from his body. Its tip was sharpened to a dagger point, the last ten centimetres coated in blood.
Arty shell shrapnel pierces Honsou's armour

PAge 537
The high-explosive shell slashed down and struck the centre of the trench, as though a mathematician had plotted its trajectory. Confined by the high walls, the blast roared out along the trench, incinerating those closest to its point of impact, and shredding those beyond in tightly packed storms of tumbling metal. The shockwave blew men out of their overalls, leaving them naked and twisted into grotesque knots of liquefied bone and shattered limbs.
Honsou was plucked from the trench and hurled into the air. Dozens of red icons flashed to life on his visor as the reflecting blast waves pulled his body in a hundred different directions. Seams split, plates cracked and pressurised coils beneath his breastplate ruptured, venting corrosive gases and precious oxygen. He lost all perception of spatial awareness, and only knew which way was down when he slammed into a line of prefabricated, mesh-wrapped blocks of wall being driven forwards by the second wave of diggers.
honsou (barely) survives point blank shell detonation.
Page 543-544
Arcing bolts of lightning leapt from cloud to cloud, gathering strength and frequency with every passing second. The temperature in the cave dropped sharply, and a cold wind blew from the mouth of the tunnel that led back to the surface.
Bronn said nothing, knowing that this was no ordinary lightning to be drawn to iron as metal is drawn to a magnet. This was warp lightning, brought into being and directed by the towering figure at the heart of the sorcerers. A booming peal of thunder eclipsed the maddened drumming, and a sheet of dazzling lightning blazed from the clouds. The atmosphere in the cavern twisted as though some fundamental aspect of it had changed, and blinding traceries spat from the unnatural clouds. Black rain fell in torrents, turning much of the cavern floor to quagmire and slicking the armour of the Iron Warriors with an oily, rainbow sheen.
Instead of striking amid the Bloodborn as Dassadra had feared, the lightning slammed down again and again over the upland ridges where the enemy artillery pieces were sited. Mushrooming flares of explosions curled into the air, followed moments later by the crack of detonating munitions. Fire raced over the high ground as weapon after weapon went up, vanishing in a spreading bloom of electrical fire. Explosions lit the underside of the clouds, and Bronn blinked away dazzling afterimages of darting, invisible forms; all black wings, reptilian bodies and screaming fangs.
"Now do you see the worth of these warlocks?"
Sorcery and trench warfare!
Page 545
The metal roadway was being laid in readiness for the arrival of the Black Basilica, the hulking leviathan that was part mobile cathedral to the great gods of the warp, part awesomely destructive war engine with the power to level cities.
I guess Honsou ran out of titans. Basically its an old Squat machine. The fact Honsou has it is more aggravating.
PAge 546
Bronn pushed himself away from the wall and continued deeper into the cavern until he came to a row of five tubular machines shaped like enormous torpedoes with rock-drilling conical snouts. Each Hellbore was as long as a Stormbird, but wider in beam and more heavily armoured. Their flanks were bare, scraped iron and all five had their crew ramps splayed wide as the assault forces boarded.
Tunnelling machines.

Page 547
Honsou shrugged. "You still believe in the old ways, Bronn. That’s always been your problem."
"The old ways were good enough for Lord Perturabo," said Bronn.
"And look where that got him," said Honsou with sudden anger. "Stuck in a dead city on Medrengard, imprisoned by his own bitterness and resentment. If he cared so much about the wrongs done to him, why isn’t he out bringing every Imperial stronghold to ruin? There isn’t one fortress wall left standing that he couldn’t put to rubble in a day."
Honsou’s vehemence surprised Bronn. He hadn’t thought the Warsmith cared anything for the Long War or Perturabo’s notable absence from its battles. Had Bronn misjudged him or was this yet another piece of theatre designed to achieve an end that could not yet be seen?
"The ways of our master are not for us to judge," he said, though words sounded hollow even to him.
"You’re wrong," said Honsou. "They are ours to judge. And one day someone will take Perturabo to task for his lack of action."
That made Bronn laugh. "Really? And who will that be? You?"
Honsou’s anger vanished, and Bronn was reminded how unpredictable Honsou could be, as violent as a berserker or as capricious as a pleasure-seeker of the Dark Prince.
God what a twit. I guess he's moved on from blaming Forrix for all the Legion's trouble,s and now he's fixating on their Primarch. Honsou knows all the answers doens't he? Except his means of waging war seem to be a variation on Zapp brannigan, without the minimal effectiveness. Really he just comes across as a deluded, pompous psycho here.
On the other hand, It'd be fun to see the lunatic try to take Perturabo on, and get his ass handed to him. hopefully fatally.
Page 557
Proportioned for an Adeptus Astartes warrior, it was enormous to a mortal: a hewing broadsword with a blade that could cut deep into the toughest war plate. It had sliced through the layered mesh and kevlar of their Defence Auxilia uniforms like paper.
Calth PDF uniforms also double as (soft) body armour. Which goes along with that long list of sources (FFG material, Uplifting primer, the IG novels, etc.) which indicate a fabirc armor component to Imperial trooper body armour. Not that its' much help against Astartes sized knives.
Page 562
The cavern was wide and high-ceilinged, though some quirk in the rocks’ structure was preventing the range-finders incorporated into her ice-blue eyes from determining exactly how high. Certainly it was large enough that three Adeptus Mechanicus battle engines could stand upon each other’s shoulders and barely brush the roof. Even Magos Locard’s Lex Tredecim could pass through and seem small.
Measurement rangefinders in augmetic eyes I gather.
Page 563
Blessed with absurd good looks and a gracefully aged face that was free of juvenat treatments, his hairless skull gleamed with an application from his extensive – and growing – collection of oils and fragrant perfumes. Tucked under one arm was his mirror-slate, and Suzaku knew a snub-nosed pistol was holstered beneath his shoulder.
Juvenat.
PAge 564-565
"He was, but I didn’t think he’d make a good inquisitor. I thought he was too compassionate, that his empathic gifts made him too… open. Too forgiving."
"Now I think he might have made a better inquisitor than I."
"Yes, Soburo was a good man, but the Inquisition does not need good men, it needs strong men and women who can make the decisions others are afraid to make. It needs agents who will countenance the unthinkable act because no one else dares to. You and I both know the threats we face are too real and too dangerous to be met with the slightest moment of indecision or compassion. To believe otherwise is dangerous folly. And while I have the greatest respect for the sanctity of human life, I understand the hard truth of the dreadful arithmetic that must be employed to determine who lives and who dies. You understand it too, and that’s what makes you an inquisitor."
Discussion on the qualities of a good inquisitor. Grimdarky stuff aside, it probably makes some sense, since we're basically talking an Eisenhorn or a Ravenor. Or a Barzano.
Page 565
Two of her storm troopers disembarked from the rear of the Rhino, falling into lockstep on either side of her. Once, they had been elite soldiers of the Jacintine Marauders, but now they were the bodyguards of an inquisitor, augmented and weaponised to be even deadlier.
Augmetic stormies
PAge 565
"One hundred and ninety-three point seven six metres high at its apex, six point seven five kilometres long and with a mean width of six hundred and fifty point two metres. Small, by Calth’s standards."
Undeground cavern of CAlth. Recall that 3 Admech engines could stand on each other's shoulders and barely brush the roof.. which is about 64-65 m high for a titan of uknown size.
Page 566
"Why was it abandoned?"
"Some of the stulls, that’s the supports, collapsed and brought down a number of the sloping shafts, which in turn caused the upper ledge of the cliff to collapse. A hundred and fifty-four people died."
"And they just abandoned it after one accident?"
"Yes. A hundred and fifty-four deaths isn’t a lot by Mechanicus standards, but on Ultramar it’s considered disastrous. The workers felt the Martian priests weren’t taking enough safety precautions and most of them just moved away."
Unsurprisingly, Ultramar has a much more stringent work safety standard than the Coggies.
Page 569
Suzaku understood the source of his simmering hostility and was not offended; she had encountered it many times before with pious servants of the Imperium. To fight an enemy, one first had to understand that enemy, but such knowledge was dangerous and more than one inquisitor had succumbed to the temptations offered by such potent secrets. To Dante, she was just another heretic and daemon consort waiting to happen.
Knowledge is power, blah blah. Ultramarines except for a few are generally too rigid to think in those lines
Page 569
Images of horror were stored in her meme-coils as she blink-clicked snapshots of the murdered troopers.
Built in body camera ugmetic.
Page 570
"How many were in Joelle’s squad?" she asked Lerato.
"One sergeant and four troopers."
5 troopers and they all seem to have chimeras. Talk about high end.
Page 571
"A cannibal?" hissed Dante, horrified at the notion.
"It’s possible," said Suzaku. "The Archenemy are not like us, and the mores of civilised behaviour that you and I adhere to do not apply to them. The person that did this has been here for six months at least, and if it is the kind of individual I think it is, then the eating of human meat would hold no terror."
Corpse starch doesnt seem to exist in Ultramar :P
PAge 572
The matt-black weapons on the forward-mounted cupola spun around to face them and targeting augurs whirred with clattering belligerence. Dante paid the guns no mind, but Suzaku felt the red range-finding lens scan them with the passive detectors incorporated in the arcane mechanics of her eyes.
"Those guns are primed and ready to fire, ma’am," said one of her bodyguards, his own combat augmetics registering the same thing.
"I know," she said. "Make no threatening move or it will shoot you dead."
The man powered down the implanted weaponry in his arm, and the weapons on the Rhino returned to their idle position.
Rhino guns are automated. And the stormies have implanted arm weapons.,
PAge 572-573
Suzaku and Milotas followed Dante up the ramp, and she was immediately struck by the apparent space within the Rhino. A Space Marine vehicle was stripped down to the bare bones, every non-essential system removed to give it greater speed and manoeuvrability. Where other Rhinos made concessions, albeit half-hearted ones, to the crew’s ability to function, this was simply an armoured shell designed to keep the warriors within safe. Any available space was taken up with stowage for weapons or ammunition, and Suzaku was forced to admire the spartan aesthetic.
Comments on Rhino design and tradeoffs in performance vs tonnage.
PAge 576
"He’ll die if I don’t medicate him, and I’m not letting that happen."
"He is a warrior of Ultramar," said Selenus. "And he deserves a chance to live."
Nice to see some Smurf beliefs are still upheld in the novels.
Page 578-579
"This is one of the dozen Adeptus Mechanicus geo-thermal power generating stations that supply the vast majority of the energy to the underground sub-station relays that link the cities of Calth together. Buried in artificial, force-shielded bubbles sunk into the planet’s upper mantle, they tap into the immense temperatures and pressure to generate vast reserves of power that make Calth more than self-sufficient."
"‘It’s ten point six kilometres below us, fifteen point one to the east,"
"You don’t just walk into a place like that. There are Mechanicus praetorians, battle-servitors, and entire detachments of skitarii protecting each one. It’s a fortress in its own right."
“The Calth energy grid is a delicate structure, one where the lines of power interconnect on hundreds of different levels. If our nameless foe somehow managed to destroy that facility, he could disrupt the entire grid.’”
“You see, each of these power facilities is, in effect, a collection of atomic reactors resting on the molten structure of this planet. If an enemy were to, say, drop one of these plants into the mantle and detonate it, the effects would be catastrophic. And that’s a best case scenario.”
“What’s a worst case scenario?” asked Suzaku.
“That the seismic shock rips through the upper mantle and cracks the crust open. Earthquakes, cave-ins, tunnel collapses on a global scale. Wherever the structure of the crust was sufficiently compromised, the mantle would pour through, and… well, you don’t need me to tell you how devastating that would be to any cities nearby.”
Calth uses geothermal power, yet it oddly also relies on (voaltile!) nuclear/atomic power to back it up/support it, not unlke some Hive worlds from IA books. And naturally this makes the power sourrce highly vulnerable and prone to self destruct :)
Page 583
The Chimera was not his property, but he treated it as though it were, regularly checking the work of the enginseers and (though he was careful not to be too obvious) working his own modifications to the controls and onboard logisters. Since they actually seemed to improve the vehicle’s functionality, Lerato turned a blind eye to the man’s tinkering, and was careful to let him know when he was pushing it too far.
defence forces dowt own their vehicles, although they’ll make illegal mods if they wish.
Page 586
”I won’t bore you with the exact chemical composition, but suffice to say that this is Adeptus Astartes grade explosives, mixed in with numerous chemical additives more commonly found in agricultural products. From chemical and spread density, it’s safe to say that this was a big bomb, one that was fabricated with a great many items purloined from the supply depots of Calth along the way. This wasn’t an attack of opportunity, whoever did this knew how to craft a powerful explosive compound and took their time in doing it.”
Chem analysis and bomb making amterials.
PAge 587
To keep a facility like Aries Pyros operational required precise attention to detail, as the slightest miscalculation in the shield harmonic matrix could have disastrous consequences. The deep magnetic flux of Calth’s mantle was chaotic and unpredictable, and every Mechanicus adept sought to compute an exact logarithmic proof that would allow the force shield harmonics protecting the facility to be generated more efficiently and thus earn the approbation of the High Magos.
The power consumption of the field generators was ruinously high, taking up over half of the energy produced by the station. If that figure could be reduced, even by as little as ten percent, then the surplus power would be incredible. Using code fragments collated in the decades he had spent in the libraria of Mars, Dettela had developed a methodology based on topological mixing to better calculate the function of systems in a constantly varied-state environment. He hoped that this would lead to a predictive logarithm he could present to the conclave of Magi at the next symposium.
Magic magma defense shields.
Page 588
With his internal systems dedicated to running trillions of calculations, it took Dettela a few seconds to identify the intrusive warning sound offering stimuli to his auditory receptors. He had never heard this sound before and it did not immediately register with him as to what it might be.
AdMech intenral cogitation running trillions of calcs in a couple of seconds. This ranks right up there with Bastion Inivolate from Endeavour of Will! :P
Page 588
The world of calculus, algebra and calm ordered arithmetic fell away as the geometry of the physical world intruded on his senses. The security hub was a small chamber, buried in the heart of a tall tower that jutted from the semi-submerged geo-thermal facility like a lone lighthouse on a storm-lashed island in a sea of fire.
MATH and SCIENCE!
Page 589
Then the dusty slate before him winked to life, the groaning cathode tube taking a tense six point four seconds to warm enough to display the extrapolated wire-frame image of the intruder. Dettela looked at it, knowing exactly what it was, but finding it hard to process the knowledge and reality of it.

Dettela sent a jolt of current into the machine, and the pict-slate brightened as its inner workings whirred with activity. A clattering of internal magnetic meme-plates shook the machine, and a whining squeal built until a shimmering image appeared on the slate, together with a warning in red-lit binary.
CRT monitors!
paGE 589
Its form was unmistakable, a remote surveyor drone used in forward reconnaissance, but of a design that was unfamiliar to him.
The pages were obviously from some form of armourers’ treatise, and the drone was clearly labelled with meticulous, yet simple clarity.
Bartizan Class Remote Seeker Drone, Olympian Pattern.
Drones
Page 591
It had been a long day, and the rocking motion of the Chimera was lulling him towards sleep, but another hour should see them through the gates of Highside City. Then it was a short drive to where their eagle-fronted regimental headquarters stood on the edge of the vast, grav-compensated landing platforms.
probably to support the weight of big ships.
Page 591
Lerato stood tall in the cupola, revelling in the view his position as tank commander allowed him. As far as the eye could see, the Bakkerian plain was a vast swathe of iron and steel structures, and might have been mistaken for a city in its own right. Starships like enormous cathedrals or slices taken from the flank of a hive city sat in the rippling embraces of vast suspensor fields. Towering vessels of war were becalmed on the surface of Calth, which would have been a first homecoming for many of the vessels.
Vast hulls soared like cliffs, and broadside batteries like fortress walls tapered to vanishing points beneath the cold blue of the sun. Angled prows adorned with the symbol of the Ultramarines rose hundreds of metres into the air, and enormous winged angels reached out into the void like titans of legend.
Calth starships.
Page 592
A fragment of shrapnel from an ork grenade had struck him in the head and ricocheted along his jaw before exploding out behind his ear. The medicae had managed to save his hearing, but there had been nothing left of his ear, and a sergeant’s pay didn’t allow for much in the way of reconstructive surgery.
REconstructive surgery.. and they get paid! SHOCK!
Page 596
Dante didn’t waste any words and put three shots into the back of the figure’s head. Each shot was dead on target and the Iron Warrior was punched onto his front, his helmet torn from his head in a smoking ruin of torn metal.
...he felt a calming righteousness settle upon him at the sight of the fan of brain matter and skull fragments spread over the wall.
Little was left of the warrior’s head, and though the back of his skull was a hollowed-out mass of glistening matter, the detonating bolt shells had left his face relatively intact.
3 round burst from a bolter blows apart helmeted Iron Warrior’s skull. Mostlty.
PAge 598
A hulking figure in bare metal armour coated in oily residue appeared at the other end of the tank, one fist clenched and bloody, the other gleaming silver and mirrored. A pale blue augmetic eye stared at Lerato from a wide face that had once been cruelly handsome, but which was now simply cruel.
The Beast of Calth…
The CSM hiding for hours in a barrel of oil? Turns out its Honsou, demonsrtrating what he does best: running away. That’s right. He gets his ass kicked yet again, and he makes his escape, Dr Klaw style. But I’m sure he’ll get those pesky Ultrasmurfs next time! NEXT TIME!