Some Serious Star Trek, Star Wars, and 40k Silliness

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Optimus Metallus
Redshirt

Some Serious Star Trek, Star Wars, and 40k Silliness

Post by Optimus Metallus »

I'm under the impression that it's okay to link to other boards here (as opposed to spacebattles.com which frowns on that sort of thing), so I hope the mods and everyone else here won't mind.

Anyway, I stumbled onto this thread recently and I thought I'd share it:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/1973-s ... e-battles/

Basically there're a handful of Star Trek fans there who claim that the Federation can curbstomp both the Galactic Empire and the Imperium of Mankind, and I was just wondering what folks around here thought about their arguments. Thanks.
Brother-Captain Optimus Metallus
Ultramarines 3rd Battle Company
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: Some Serious Star Trek, Star Wars, and 40k Silliness

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Who cares? Wankers will be wankers.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. The direct versus-debate battles aren't worth fighting over and over in the spirit of "someone is wrong on the Internet!"

Any fictional setting that has an episodic, serial format and has lots of content produced by different authors is going to end up showing the same hardware at very different power levels. Different authors will show the same guns having very different effects, show ships as being able to blow up planets today and barely able to dent them tomorrow, show a given body of troops as tactical geniuses in one book and too dumb to live in the next, or show the setting's economy as super-productive in one episode and incredibly slow and anemic in the next.

That makes it almost impossible to resolve a versus debate to the satisfaction of a partisan, because they can always pick and choose the high-end examples (across the galaxy in five minutes) and ignore the low-end examples (across the galaxy in five weeks). They may have reasons to ignore it, or think they do, but from a pragmatic standpoint it really doesn't matter.

In general you're going to get a lot of "who cares?" out of this. People on this forum might have cared if you'd asked the question five or ten years ago, I gather, but by now the whole thing has just gotten tiresome, and there's always a new generation of partisan fans to keep fighting it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

They are probably wrong. I cite the following example: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Ess ... nutes.html

It's from a little known site called StarDestroyer.net and it basically shows how speed, weapons and shielding are all significantly superior in the SW universe to the ST universe. :wink:

As for 40k versus Star Wars, apparently all it takes to stop a Jem'hadar army would be a heavy bolter (as per siege of AR-55) so that doesn't make the Federation's chances look too bright.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Simon_Jester wrote:Yeah. The direct versus-debate battles aren't worth fighting over and over in the spirit of "someone is wrong on the Internet!"
Hang on.....you're telling me there's other reasons for versus debates???
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

To be fair, as a conversation to have once they can be fun. Or if you're trying to compare something like "which is the better heroic smuggler, Han Solo or Malcolm Reynolds," where it's actually about characters and emotions and things, instead of being about spherical masses of iron.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

When versus debates fuck the minds of young sci-fi fans and they go nuts about the useless gigatons and megajoules of shit and how one shit has more gigas and megas than the other shits and how those other motherfuckers are wrong because their shit is weaker and softer and limper, and these people forget how fiction actually works - namely not because of these computated bullshit but because of other things that aren't actually useless - because they're too busy wrapping their cocks with gigantic polyurethane foam sheaths sculpted in the likeness of their favorite ugly shitpiece fatso-class dullcruiser borevette lamefrigate with craptronium-ingrained heatsink radiator hulled spaceships and running around slapping other people's foam-wrapped dicks while wading in a puke-stained puddle of corn syrup with little bits of half-digested cheetos floating around it...

...then you're in a world of shit.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!