Just Plain Beautiful Spaceships

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Just Plain Beautiful Spaceships

Post by Stofsk »

Crazedwraith wrote:It's almost as if some people have different standards of beauty than others.
Uh no, but nice try. The OP is specifically asking for a discussion about aesthetics in design and the balance between form and function, NOT about 'imma post my favourite spaceship and bugger your thread'.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That's pretty sweet-looking. What is it?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

"Earth, Final Conflict", a Gene Roddenberry production (5 seasons, 110 episodes) that started airing in 1997.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Atlantis from Stargate Atlantis, it's a snowflake city the size of Manhattan that's also a spaceship.

The Legacy from Treasure Planet, not remotely practical, but very pretty.

The Minbari Sharlins and White Stars from Babylon 5, aesthetically pleasing and so very alien all at once.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Cowl
Youngling

Post by Cowl »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Image
The Taelon mothership.

I remember how the television networks in my country refused to air the fifth season, because it was simply that bad. Most of the creative 'real estate' of the series had been razed at that point, there really was nothing left but a barren wasteland. Great looking ship though, their language was also unique, at least how it was described at the time.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I think the fact that it's been part of such a media blitz leading up to ME3 has almost made people forget how goddamned beautiful the Normandy really is.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Cowl
Youngling

Post by Cowl »

^ oddly reminiscent of a droid head in the Starwars Prequel series.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Cowl wrote:^ oddly reminiscent of a droid head in the Starwars Prequel series.
Just cuse it kinda looks like a banana.

To everyone: I actually do find simple "solid" designs like those for the Serenity to be quite aesthetically pleasing.

Love the Fountain tree ship!
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Larry Niven's Ring world, a "Blue ribbon in space", and his General products hull ships.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

There are a lot of "atheistically pleasing design" ideas out there- you can take the chrome-rocketship Golden Age look, or the multicolored Chris Foss things that look like space insects that Shroom was pointing to, or a bunch of other options. But yes, I was hoping that people would avoid just saying "my favorite ship," and possibly that we might see discussion of aesthetics. What do people like in ship design, in terms of appearance? Geometric simplicity, or complexity? Straight lines or curves? All the ship's functions integrated into the hull, or a modular appearance with things like engine nacelles?
Yeah, I like ugly ships too, but in furtherance of this goal, consider the previously posted Brunhild:-

In terms of general shape, I think its quite simple, but its got lots of fine detail where by just looking at it you can imagine the function of the various greebly bits. Though its not visible on that particular picture, I especially like the placement of all the obvious sensors/equipment in the ventral "bulge" which one can see, say, here:- http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/File:Brunhild.jpg - that's important to me. Its the reason I like Star Destroyers (which don't count as "beautiful" IMO - a ship has to be curvy to be beautiful to me).
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I find fat Mexican girls with pants two sizes too small mashing their little guts out into muffin tops and horribly overdone make up "atheistically pleasing", as well as Amy Winehouse. I'm not going to post pictures of them in a thread about beautiful girls.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Fuzzy Modem's

And... something

Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I like her lines...

The design is sound. Crew compartment and everything in the front, long connection to distance it from the engine section where shit could happen, and two 'wings' to improve angular momentum for nav thrusters.

There is this tiny problem with the mechanics of the drive, though....
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Andromeda Ascendant:
andromeda01.jpg
andromeda01.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Spoiler

Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

The chrome is nice and shiny and it has that sleek SR-71 like look I've always liked. The one in AOTC looked a bit too much like a B2 bomber for me (deliberate choice to reflect the increasing tensions/war?)

Amidala's cruiser from AOTC was pretty nice tho

Again nice and shiny and it has that rocket/racer feel... it stands out and it seems like it would just zap through space. I also admit I tend to like more organic, flowing curves like that than blocky or chunky.. it just 'feels' more spacy to me. the Brunhild and some of the other LoGH Imperial flagships had a similar aesthetic.

I always liked the aethersprite too

More military like than the other two but it has that seeming 'sleekness' that just cuts through space. It's also not nearly as blocky or military looking as an ISD (and no fucking bridge tower sticking out like a sore thumb.) Probably because of ISDs but I've always liked a wedge shape for ships. I always had this mental image of Jedi using their speeders to illegally conduct drag races out in outer space or something. :mrgreen:

On the other hand its less organic and more angular than the previous two (again like an ISD) but it doesn't really register on me for some reason.

Oh and the Romulan Warbird

The way its designed just looks like a ship designed to swoop through space rather than just fly.. more like a bird of prey than the Klingon BoP really. Also much prettier than White Stars IMHO in the 'organic looking' department.
Cowl
Youngling

Post by Cowl »

The see-through aesthetics of the D'deridex-class Warbird go well with the decloaking phase, where the ship shimmers into the visible spectrum. In the picture above the ship is overexposed, which detracts from the beauty of the design.

It's a shame they were never really seen in combat during the TNG era.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Well the 'see through' bits really work because it conveys that 'birdlike' aspect well. Its got a sense of being large and size without being buky or ponderous.

The Andromeda Ascendant had similar appeal, but I didnt like that quite as well as I like the Warbird. :P *does not look at Thanas*
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

How about War-rocket Ajax from Flash Gordon? Or any rocket from Flash Gordon.

Before Shroomy gets to it, how about the refit Des Moines and inevitable follow-up ships from Eye of the Storm? You know, the one shaped like a golden, naked woman with wings and a fighter bay between her legs? Tasteful, it probably isn't, but a thousand generations of men could probably agree that it has very pleasing lines.

@LaCroix, yeah, just one tiny little problem with the FTL. I'm sure they'll have it straightened out in the beta version.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

I mentioned it in the other thread, Sagan's Spaceship of the Imagination. Here's a pic for those not familiar:

And the interior:

Destructionator XIII wrote:That picture of the warbird shows two interesting things too. You can see the bird feathers etched into the back, and you can see a Roman helmet like shape in the front.

that tricky artist, it's so clear now that I see it, that I'll never be able to look at it without noticing again. It's like the FedEx logo.
You really never noticed that before?
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ahriman238 wrote:Before Shroomy gets to it, how about the refit Des Moines and inevitable follow-up ships from Eye of the Storm? You know, the one shaped like a golden, naked woman with wings and a fighter bay between her legs? Tasteful, it probably isn't, but a thousand generations of men could probably agree that it has very pleasing lines.
WTH? I refuse to believe that exists.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

As opposed to a bigass warship that turns into a giant housemaid with a vacuum cleaner? I know which one I like better :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'