RAR: 2012! Germany sent back to the 1880's

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

RAR: 2012! Germany sent back to the 1880's

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Inspired by this thread: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153002

Now, the last two got me thinking...we have done China, and America transported back to important parts in their history...so what about Germany? Now the main reason I decided on Germany is that they are small enough that it requires actual thinking and not 'RAR!!! DESTROY OTHER COUNTRIES!!' like the other two could do (emphasis on the 'could' I'm not saying China or America would go all Imperial on everyone). Plus in the 1880's they have a decidedly hostile neighbor in the form of France, who would not be happy with the Franco-Prussian War outcome, and have a larger (if primitive) military.

So...2012!Germany is transported back to the 1880's (vague I know) with all its territory and all the military units inside said territory, but not overseas forces, or ones in other European nations. Meanwhile, 1880's Germany is sent forward, with all the territory that 2012 Germany had. So...what happens? Does 2012!Germany create a massive power-vacumn...or does it overpower whoever attacks it? What about the people in what is now Poland? How do those Germans/Poles react to suddenly having their leaders vanish? And how does 1880's!Germany react to loosing a large chunk of territory?

(PS, this is a serious RAR and I want to see what people think)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: RAR: 2012! Germany sent back to the 1880's

Post by LaCroix »

European Union collapses. Euro is abolished. Without Germany, it can't be done. France can't carry it alone, especially since it's now alone against the UK. Old Germany in 2012 will be pissed that half its size is gone, but can't do anything, as they are seriously out-numbered by Poland and everyone.

German scientists will swarm to Vienna University to be brought up to date. Austrian companies will be working hard to erect infrastructure. (They were relatively friendly with Austria in their time, and would distrust French or British - so it seems logical they wouldn't let any of them into their country, at first.)

They will adapt with ruthless efficiency, especially since their natural resources are not depleted by two world wars, and under the caring rule of Wilhelm I and Otto von Bismarck.

Down the time-line, a superpower is born. Germany has enough nuclear power, and coal and oil can be found easily at this time (although the supplies need to be secured by trade). France and Britain might try to intervene if they see that there is upheaval in Prussia, and find out the hard way that automatic fire and air-power is a bitch. If they don't start meddling instantly (and definitely after an example is made of an attacker), Austria-Hungary will approach Germany and insist that the just-signed alliance treaty will be honoured... They'd be too frightened that the earlier hostilities could be rekindled:D

I don't know how much "Realpolitik" will be done, but it is sure that none of the German lands left behind will fall into other hands unless modern Germany allows it. They might not be all fire and brimstone like the USA would be, but the disparity is big enough that they'd be military dominant to an extent that's just not funny.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Wait- so the German-owned Alsace-Lorraine of 1885 replaces the French-owned Alsace-Lorraine of today?

Oooh, that's gonna leave a mark.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

No. It's the territories of 2012!Germany that get sent to the past, and the corresponding territories in the 1880's that get swapped to 2012. So 2012!France get to keep Alsace-Lorraine, and 1880!France might have a chance to seize back the region if 2012!Germany wish to offer this to them in a token of good will. I'd tend to think this is what 2012!Germany would do, in order to show to their neighbours that they are happy in their current borders... After all, what would they do with it anyway ? They might as well secure peace and good relations with Europe while they are at it.

Now, I'm thinking about one thing : what is 2012!Germany going to do about the Imperialism of the time ?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The new Germany in the 1880's will not be as dominant at sea as, say, modern Us in 1776 woudl have been. Europe is no longe rin the Age of Sail and ironclad/pre-dreadnought battleships are being built heavily. Sure, a modern anti sihp missile will kill one of these, as will torpedoes, but its no longer a case of "roll up in a destroyer and start wrecking captial ships with the 5 inch gun on the bow." And unless I'm mistaken, modern German destroyers or whatever aren't heavily armoured, so a single hit from a 12 inch gun wil cause substantial damage.

I can see them becoming fast friends with the British Empire of the day. the Brits had the most territory and resources and may be able to help the past-Germany find and exploit oil deposits and such in exchange for improvements to industry and technology.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The new Germany in the 1880's will not be as dominant at sea as, say, modern Us in 1776 woudl have been. Europe is no longe rin the Age of Sail and ironclad/pre-dreadnought battleships are being built heavily. Sure, a modern anti sihp missile will kill one of these, as will torpedoes, but its no longer a case of "roll up in a destroyer and start wrecking captial ships with the 5 inch gun on the bow." And unless I'm mistaken, modern German destroyers or whatever aren't heavily armoured, so a single hit from a 12 inch gun wil cause substantial damage.
How are they going to hit a modern destroyer with those guns, no radar guidance and a whopping 2% hitrate on capital ships in those days?

Sure, not as dominant as modern US in 1776, but for the purposes of this experiment the difference may very well be miniscule. Heck, with the SSKs Germany has today they could sink the grand fleet in an afternoon.
I can see them becoming fast friends with the British Empire of the day.
No, not when British policy was hellbent on staying a world power. It is far more likely Germany will simply get into beneficial relations with other nations that have oil deposits.

Of course, the most likely outcome is that modern Germany collapses rather easily as the industry stops to function due to lack of oil and petrol.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

Thanas wrote: No, not when British policy was hellbent on staying a world power. It is far more likely Germany will simply get into beneficial relations with other nations that have oil deposits.

Of course, the most likely outcome is that modern Germany collapses rather easily as the industry stops to function due to lack of oil and petrol.
The best option would be to ration oil, switch to nuclear and coal for domestic power consumption until they can gain access to North/West African oil reserves.

How many coal plants does Germany still have functioning?

EDIT- a wikipedia search puts Germany's electricity sector at 46% coal and pre shutdown at 30% nuclear. How long would it take to get the nuclear plants going again? Not long I'd imagine, so nearly all domestic power production should be accounted for within a year or so.

Replacing oil will be difficult, but not impossible. As I said before, if they can get access to North African and West African oil reserves they should be able to survive; though there will be high unemployment and mass unrest.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

How the hell is Germany supposed to switch to nuclear in 1880? Sure as Germany seems to have been transposed as is which would mean all records intact we'd know where fissionable ores are to be found, but the infrastructure for mining them simply doesn't exist. Unless there's significant uranium mines within german proper I'm not aware of.
Also, there's a lot of water/power/communications/fuel lines that are suddenly bisected at the german borders, that's going to be quite a mess :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Batman wrote:How the hell is Germany supposed to switch to nuclear in 1880? Sure as Germany seems to have been transposed as is which would mean all records intact we'd know where fissionable ores are to be found, but the infrastructure for mining them simply doesn't exist. Unless there's significant uranium mines within german proper I'm not aware of.
Also, there's a lot of water/power/communications/fuel lines that are suddenly bisected at the german borders, that's going to be quite a mess :D
Europe has a dense rail network and the equipment for hard-rock mining already exists, so uranium mines can be created fairly quickly if need be. A bigger problem is enrichment.

Even then, though, nuclear fuel rods last for years inside a plant- if the Germans can get enough mines running elsewhere and funnel it into their enrichment facility, they'll at least be able to manage a 'soft landing.' They might have to look into building equipment to reprocess spent fuel rods or the like.

I wonder what German policy on nuclear weapons will be. It seems obvious they won't try to build them...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Rabid wrote:No. It's the territories of 2012!Germany that get sent to the past, and the corresponding territories in the 1880's that get swapped to 2012. So 2012!France get to keep Alsace-Lorraine, and 1880!France might have a chance to seize back the region if 2012!Germany wish to offer this to them in a token of good will. I'd tend to think this is what 2012!Germany would do, in order to show to their neighbours that they are happy in their current borders... After all, what would they do with it anyway ? They might as well secure peace and good relations with Europe while they are at it.
From what I remember, in 1880 most residents of Alsace-Lorraine felt more like conquered Frenchmen than liberated Germans, even with the majority population being German-speaking. Since both would likely end up with similar results, what would be seen as a more magnanimous gesture in this time period, a plebiscite or simply giving it to France?

Also, would it even be seen as a decision 2012 Germany could make? Unlike the previous time-swap scenarios, this one makes it more clear that there'd be two Germanies in the past. Even though most of Prussia, including Berlin, has been swapped away, there's still millions of Prussians here who can lay legitimate claim to Alsace-Lorraine, even with the separation.

Really, with this version replacing not an entire country, but just the majority of it, I'm curious how that sort of thing would be handled in general.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Reprocessing/enrichment we may or may not have covered locally, but how many uranium mining sites are there in Europe? (That's an honest question, I have no clue). As for the railway network, how much has it changed since 1880? Gauges, location of the physical tracks etc? My first guess would be 'nothing much' but there have been several wars and and revolutions in-between.
As for the nukes I fail to see what Germany would need them for-presupposing we can keep Germany's economy going at all, the Bundeswehr can annihilate any military force of that era with impunity, due to having air superiority by default. Iron bombs alone would be enough to eradicate everything 1880 can throw at us, nevermind cluster munitions.
Besides, I don't know much about 1880s politicians but given that most of the 20/21st century ones I've run across (some of which were abysmally stupid) were smart enough to know when they were hopelessly outmatched, I suspect the surrounding countries are going to be very careful NOT to piss off the new and improved Germany.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Regarding the nuke question: The former East Germany is rich in Uranium and we process our own nuclear fuel. There will be no supply problems.
Regarding coal: We still have huge amounts of coal lying around + the machines and people who work them. There will be no supply problems.
Regarding Oil, rare earths, etc.: Yes, raw materials will have to be imported at some point. But we actually have quite large stocks lying around. E.g. last time I checked, we had more than two years worth of oil in reserve. Admittedly that was several years ago, but we will have month if not years to develop sources. Let's not forget that we have a complete record of discovered oil fields.

It's pretty obvious we would have to implement emergency meassures to preserve fossil fuels etc. but I think this is one of those times were people would know to shut up and work together.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

A crackdown against far right groups is likely going to be necessary. Those fuckers probably would take advantage of the situation to stir up trouble.

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2012-02-09 08:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Excuse me? Those guys aren't doing any damage worth mentioning as it is and that's in-country. What makes you think they have the means to be a problem internationally?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

In addition to East German uranium deposits, there's uranium in what is now modern Poland (Austria-Hungary in 1880), and IIRC Sweden is said to have some reserves but I'm not sure on that.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote: Even though most of Prussia, including Berlin, has been swapped away, there's still millions of Prussians here who can lay legitimate claim to Alsace-Lorraine, even with the separation.
Erm, no. From modern Germany's point of view, the people of Alsace-Lorraine have already spoken. (And if that doesn't count, they have the right to a vote.) History concious people would see the benefit in ending the feud with France. And let's not forget that we have a complete record of what led to european integration and what benefits we reaped since.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

And, of course, it also carries a shitload of NATO personnel and equipment back with it.

So, who wants to lay odds that the US is going to demand that their personnel get handed over?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Hmmm. given the horror that was WW1, and the benefits gemany gained from eu intergration - could we be seeing the rise of a UCE (United Countries of Europe)?

Britain will still hang around on the outskirts, what with the island mentality and the empire to try and hold together- France and Portgual might be quietly dissuaded for continuing their colonies (which weren't all that useful) in return for an infrastructure upgrade. Spain not so sure on. Italy was a basketcase, Russia won't reform and the Bolsheviks will still rebel, and even with covert operations I predict some form of totalitarianism to emerge there. The Prussian areas will be a bit sniffy about the lack of martial vigour but very quickly move into a client state relationship. The Scandavains will be morose. The Swiss paranoid.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

When Russia explodes, what happens to the Baltic States and Poland, now that's my question. Germany may find it very useful to have some depth in happy subordinate states in the east.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Poland most likely wouldn't exist, but the baltics gaining independence is something I would be willing to bet money on.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Are the German territories in the east (East and West Prussia, Silesia etc.) going to join the 2012 Germany? Would be interesting if the Kaiser happens to be there or somewhere outside of the replaced territory at the time...
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.