Warhammer 40K VS Star Trek - A fan's analysis.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Warhammer 40K VS Star Trek - A fan's analysis.

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Having seen enough Star Wars VS Star Trek debates, it wouldn't be surprising when some sci-fi fans decide to pit Star Trek against somebody else. One fan, Hugh Fox III, had such an idea, with the opponent being Warhammer 40K.

In his website, he devotes an entire essay analyzing the strengths, weaknesses, capabilities and technologies of not only the Federation and the Imperium, but almost every faction from both universes, and writes a few scenarios in which details the outcome of a potential conflict between Star Trek and Warhammer 40K universes, escalating the number of participants and intensity along the way (though some are improbable, and the last scenario is just for the lulz). He makes the rather interesting conclusion that while the Imperium would definitely curbstomp the Federation, if every faction, race and superbeings from both Universes enters an all out war with one another the Star Trek Universe might actually win out.

Of course, his analysis may not be valid. I think its just interesting. What do you guys think?

Source: http://foxhugh.wordpress.com/fiction/st ... ammer-40k/

Edit: Some wording changes, plus this irresistible demotivational poster:

http://foxhugh.files.wordpress.com/2010 ... er-40k.jpg
Last edited by NecronLord on 2012-01-22 07:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image too big.
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Re: Warhammer 40K VS Star Trek - A fan's analysis.

Post by S.L.Acker »

It's pure fluff, he gives no numbers for anything, he hardly touches on why he thinks certain things will happen. This is hardly worth talking about.

The Q wank, while ignoring the power of the C'Tan and the literal gods on the 40k side is also irksome.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

I remember that blog post.

Its the one where the guy lists all the ground weapons he can think of from 40k and trek, except he includes starship weapons for trek and starts talking about how 40k might have an advantage, except humans can use Q weapons, and the Borg build super mines blah blah, so trek wins!

Waste of time reading it, and a waste of time going into any sort of the detail with it. Typical fuckwit fanboy poster.

Much like the thread author if I recall correctly anyway.

Coincidence?

Actually, I need to revise this, I'd forgotten how batshit insane this guy was, what with the sheer volume of madfuck stuff, as well as the whole werefox furry thing.

I don't think he's a fanboy, I think he might just be bugfuck crazy.
Last edited by white_rabbit on 2012-01-22 04:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

white_rabbit
You signature says it all for this thread.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

There's a saying specifically dedicated to 40K vs Trek, which I will helpfully borrow from White Rabbit:

OH GOD WHY

That is about as much an essay as my work is an in-depth government-accredited research project. Which is to say, not at all. And even aside from that, it assumes there is actual merit in a ST vs 40K debate. To which I point you to the above link as a rebuttal. At least with SW vs ST you can hope for some variation on the 'starships blow each other up' themes - there's room for economic or diplomatic/political manuverings of some kind or another. 40K is alot less likely to opt for those and more to 'conquer or destroy all in their path' - which is both one dimesnional without much scope for exploration.

At which point everything degenerates into "CHAOS DESTROYS TREK" or "TIME TRAVELLING PHASED CLOAKED BORGED Q WIN!" or something.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Or perhaps Slaanesh and a Q have that weird finger intercourse and breed a race of super gods that conquere the whole of the Multiverse!
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Huh. I knew it. Just fan wank and nothing more.

So really, if the Imperium do invade Star Trek Universe, would it really be an epic curbstomp on nearly everyone there?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

Going, I knew it was fan wank all along! After not taking any strong position in the OP is just sad man. You should have been able to rip that a new one all by yourself.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Insufficient data. From what I can tell, the Imperium have their hands full in their own universe, so there's the question of how much of their might they can actually devote to this invasion, how do their supply lines look, and what if anything do the Trek quasiomnipotents decide to do (if the Q are anything to go by, no, them deciding to help is not a foregone conclusion).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

It's not 'fan wank' its pointless as a topic of discussion. There's nothing substantive to discuss, and unless it degenerates into 'hur hur stoopid trekkies' nonsense there's nothing to be gotten out of it. Any "ST vs 40K" discussion invariably will follow the same formula as SW vs ST, except you exchange robes and laser swords for chainsaws and huge pauldrons, and the only 'variety' is in the degree of win/loss or the inevitable escalation as nebulous superbeings get involved. I already wasted years on the SWvsST thing, no real urge to repeat it.
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

lordofchange13 wrote:Or perhaps Slaanesh and a Q have that weird finger intercourse and breed a race of super gods that conquere the whole of the Multiverse!
Funny, I always pegged Papa Nurgle as the more open-minded of that bunch. MMm, a three-way between Slaanesh, Q and Nurgle.
Feel free to down the brain-bleach at your leisure. :twisted:
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Q is all about mischief for the lols, while Nurgle is all about slow dismal decay. They could not a good couple.