Hulk military hardware question

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Sidious
Padawan Learner

Hulk military hardware question

Post by Sidious »

First: Do those attack helicopters that chase the Hulk through the desert actually exist?

Second: If so, can they really maneuver that well?
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Unless I'm completely mistaken, those copters are Comanches.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Those choppers were RAH-66 Commanche stealth assault helicopters. They were in recon mode (weapon pylons removed for maximum radar stealth).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 66-003.jpg

This chopper exists but is not yet in service. Given that both F/A-22s and RAH-66s were in the movie it clearly took place in the relative near future.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Sidious
Padawan Learner

Post by Sidious »

I know nothing about modern US military hardware. I was just really impressed with how they were moving, and am curious if they were "enhanced" with CGI.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Sidious wrote:I know nothing about modern US military hardware. I was just really impressed with how they were moving, and am curious if they were "enhanced" with CGI.
They were PURE CGI.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Alyeska wrote:Those choppers were RAH-66 Commanche stealth assault helicopters. They were in recon mode (weapon pylons removed for maximum radar stealth).
I think the weapon pylon are folded in and they open up to fire the missiles :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Montcalm wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Those choppers were RAH-66 Commanche stealth assault helicopters. They were in recon mode (weapon pylons removed for maximum radar stealth).
I think the weapon pylon are folded in and they open up to fire the missiles :?
That is the internal weapon bay. The Commanche also has weapon pylons for gunship duty.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Hulk military hardware question

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Sidious wrote:
First part has been answered, as for this, I have not and will not be seeing the movie however the Comanche can hit 80mph sideways and is extremely agile. However close combat at the ranges depicted in the trailers is an absurd and incredible stupid thing that would not happen.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Nice make a stealth helicopter then add pylons to give a target to the enemy. :roll:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Montcalm wrote:Nice make a stealth helicopter then add pylons to give a target to the enemy. :roll:
:roll: Actually even with pylon it still has a massively reduced signature and not all missions require stealth. RAH-66 is a replacement for both scouts and light attack helicopters, note the designation.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Montcalm wrote:Nice make a stealth helicopter then add pylons to give a target to the enemy. :roll:
Mission profile image
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

You really shouldn't talk out of your ass. The RECON model of the Comanche is designed to be stealth and as such does NOT have the weapon pylons. The Gunship model is less concerned with stealth because the stealth models will take out possible threats while the gunship model then shows up to deal with the main targets. The Comanche will eventualy replace all non Longbow Apaches as well as the Kiowa warrior choppers.

Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Sidious wrote:
First part has been answered, as for this, I have not and will not be seeing the movie however the Comanche can hit 80mph sideways and is extremely agile. However close combat at the ranges depicted in the trailers is an absurd and incredible stupid thing that would not happen.
They had no choice, they couldn't engage the hulk at long range, they went in to try and kill him before he could reach Bettie (who was in a city)
they sent everything in to try and kill him before he started jumping again, and clearing 10 miles at once. The helicopters basically ran into the hulk at the top of a cliff,
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Omega-13 wrote: They had no choice, they couldn't engage the hulk at long range, they went in to try and kill him before he could reach Bettie (who was in a city)
they sent everything in to try and kill him before he started jumping again, and clearing 10 miles at once. The helicopters basically ran into the hulk at the top of a cliff,
They could've withdrawn to standoff range and used laser-guided Hellfires on him- although if he could jump 10 miles in one jump he could probably get away from them.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

Vympel wrote:
Omega-13 wrote: They had no choice, they couldn't engage the hulk at long range, they went in to try and kill him before he could reach Bettie (who was in a city)
They could've withdrawn to standoff range and used laser-guided Hellfires on him- although if he could jump 10 miles in one jump he could probably get away from them.
yea..it was amazing...just incredible. He'd run at 100+ miles an hour, he was just pumping his legs and arms, ...incredible CGI...i was blown away by this movie.

They coudln't stop him, M1A2's started at about ...maybe 2 miles..a bit less...they ended up with their turrets torn into chunks...he just closed the distance rediculously fast
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I remember seeing Discovery Channel say that the Commanche could fly as fast sideways as when flying in their normal positions.....

I gotta watch that movie.... :cry:
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I remember seeing Discovery Channel say that the Commanche could fly as fast sideways as when flying in their normal positions.....

I saw a documentary a few years back and it said if i remember correctly,it can fly sideways at 130mph.
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Montcalm wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:I remember seeing Discovery Channel say that the Commanche could fly as fast sideways as when flying in their normal positions.....

I saw a documentary a few years back and it said if i remember correctly,it can fly sideways at 130mph.
So.... is that the speed of a Commanche when flying forward?

Hmmm..... it was a long time ago since I last watched Discovery Channel, damn you cable operators! But I heard that it ran very fast even when going sideways.... hence Commanche can quite go very fast even when running sideways, 130mph could be a good speed.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

That is the internal weapon bay. The Commanche also has weapon pylons for gunship duty
What kind of weapons does the external hardpoints mount ? And can the Commanche carry FFARs and FIM-92s like the AH-64 ?
The Comanche will eventualy replace all non Longbow Apaches as well as the Kiowa warrior choppers.
I do not think that Commanche is that much better than the D-model Longbow Apache. True that the Ah-64D lacks stealth but it has greater firepower. Upgraded with the Commanches superior TADS and FLIR sensors the Longbow should continue to remain a decent attack helicopter.
I think the AGM-114B laser guided Hellfire has a maximum 8 kilometer range.

BTW can the Commanche carry the AGM-114K radar guided Hellfire ? It does have a Longbow FCR so it should be able to fire them.
I remember seeing Discovery Channel say that the Commanche could fly as fast sideways as when flying in their normal positions.....
I saw that documentary. They showed footage of a Commache actualy following a car at high speeds while flying sideways.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Alyeska wrote:
You really shouldn't talk out of your ass. The RECON model of the Comanche is designed to be stealth and as such does NOT have the weapon pylons. The Gunship model is less concerned with stealth because the stealth models will take out possible threats while the gunship model then shows up to deal with the main targets. The Comanche will eventualy replace all non Longbow Apaches as well as the Kiowa warrior choppers.
They aren't really "models", per se. More like configurations. The F/A-18 can be configured for ground attack or air superiority, but there aren't two definative models for either role.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Alyeska wrote: The Comanche will eventualy replace all non Longbow Apaches as well as the Kiowa warrior choppers.
I really don't think that it's replacing the Apaches- it was to replace the OH-58 and AH-1. The Longbow and non-Longbow Apaches are serving on a 1:2 ratio (1 Longbow radar for every two 'vanilla' Apache).

What will replace the Apahce however will be a 'heavy' variant of the Commanche. So it'd be another aircraft.

Provided that it ever gets procured.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

evilcat4000 wrote: I saw that documentary. They showed footage of a Commache actualy following a car at high speeds while flying sideways.
YEAH! THAT'S THE EXACT SAME ONE! (I think)
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The original plan called for RAH-66 to eventually replace early model Apaches in attack battalions along with AH-1's and OH-58's. However with procurement massively slashed its now only replacing the scout AH-1's and OH-58's. Though the US Army already retired all its Cobras along with the Huey fleet to allow for increased readiness among the remaining aircraft.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Montcalm wrote:

So.... is that the speed of a Commanche when flying forward?

Hmmm..... it was a long time ago since I last watched Discovery Channel, damn you cable operators! But I heard that it ran very fast even when going sideways.... hence Commanche can quite go very fast even when running sideways, 130mph could be a good speed.
I think forward speed is the same as the Apache.
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Montcalm wrote:
I think forward speed is the same as the Apache.
As I already said maximum sideways speed is 80mph. The aircrafts maximum forward speed is 198mph, less with bay doors open. The Apache is about 40 and 172 respectively.