Comic book fans, lend me your ears!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Demiurge wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Aya wrote:How did Mags die?
After the Wolverine debacle...a giant sentinel/nuke killed him while he was in a wheelchair.
Not too bad. It could have been worse. He could have been beated to death by Jubilee, or something.
I would've considered that better...because at least it would've been more then a single panel shot.

Literally he died like a AIM lackey.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

We need a name for the group, people.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

If memory serves, the sales on GL had reached the point where they didn't think that even the proposed change would be able to save the book. So, the powers-that-be ordered the removal of Hal Jordan, and it was done.

Personally, I've always liked Kyle. After his first encounter with Superman, almost from the beginning, he knew that he was the rookie, and he knew whose legacy he had to try to live up to. I think he's done a fine job. He's done amazing things, the most important of which was giving up ultimate power in order to resurrect the rest of the Guardians and rebuild the Central Power Battery. The return of the Corp is bound to happen sooner or later.

On a side note, I prefer Jade over Donna Troy anyway, so no big loss there. :D
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I say Justice League...because combo names between the two main verse don't come out well.

And yeah ZShade did pretty much do it...but what I disliked about the Donna Troy bit...was how it was basically done...Byrne said "I want her." and not even a second thought.

Course they did this with Kevin Smith...and looky it took four years for that to come out...and we get Ollie version 1 :roll:

And they do it again with Loeb/Lee team.

Sorry...I liked the KS story but this was literally ass-kissing by DC.(for Loeb...sorry his Hush story is the sequel to Long Halloween part 2)

I acknowledge both companies do it...but does piss me off that they do it so blantantly.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Kyle seems to be a worthy successor, even Alan Scott said so.

Justice League it is then.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

ZShade wrote:He's done amazing things, the most important of which was giving up ultimate power in order to resurrect the rest of the Guardians and rebuild the Central Power Battery. The return of the Corp is bound to happen sooner or later.
God, more wankism...Just ONCE, I'd like to have people STAY the fuck dead
in comics...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

At least we're not the Superfriends. :lol:

Shortly after Byrne stole Donna, I remember reading the GL letters page, and they explained that basically, all of the major books have first dibs on on the book's supporting characters, and so when Byrne wanted to screw up Donna's life, the GL writers couldn't do anything but write her out. I think the real reason they went with Jenny afterwards is to make sure that no outside influence would mess with them like Byrne did.

Anyway, the Big Two get away with it because so many fans go, "YAY! <insert writer flavor of the month> is going to work on <insert hot book of the month> with <insert artist flavor of the month>!"

As for dead people, there's always Bucky and Uncle Ben. :D

Unrelated note. I miss Young Justice.

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Shep - I think when Shade said that the Corp was going to return, I think he meant along the lines of new members, not the old ones.

Young Justice, eh? Super Friends, eh? Maude, eh?
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Actually, I haven't the foggiest. I just said it's bound to happen sooner or later, not that it's already being advertised.

Anyway, if I was Kyle, I would try to find the surviving members and bring them back into a revived Corps. They would provide a solid core for the new recruits to build around. Pity that Kilowog is crispy critter crunch. He was a damn fine trainer.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I still say the Gaurdians should have really fucked with Hal, "We gave Kal El here a crash course in Power Ring 101 curtesy of Kilowagg"-would have resulted in a "Game Over" of immense proportions.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Aya wrote:Shep - I think when Shade said that the Corp was going to return, I think he meant along the lines of new members, not the old ones.
He said resurrecting the Guardians. Those blue SOBs should have
been left dead. It just smacks of wankism.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Sadly Kilowog is not...ALL dead(no his soul resides in some bizarre black form)

And Rayner so far is trying out a new Corp hopefuls.

The latest GA/GL crossover was okay...I'm hoping though for a more old time feel(Marz did do it best with the first crossover of the new duo he did)

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Ghost Rider wrote:Sadly Kilowog is not...ALL dead(no his soul resides in some bizarre black form)
Argh, shit damnit, why is it no body ever DIES in comicbookdom?

The Yosemite Bear

The "Smurfs" should have remianed in retirement with their big busty purple wives, OK

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Thought he said the Lanterns, silly me.

Shep, the second Flash died back during Crisis and he's been dead since.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Shep- Who knows...when they die...it's crap on the level of Punisher's first death(seriously some of the deaths have been utter shit) or too many Silver Age lovers who can't see their fave die.

YB- the best was the Pulse's Smurf April Fool's joke that garnered more attention then the real article. Basically it showed a new breed of smurf that does all the wrong things...and Gargamel was some nanotech horror. Seriously it sounded like something Image would produce.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Aya wrote:Thought he said the Lanterns, silly me.

Shep, the second Flash died back during Crisis and he's been dead since.
That's because they killed him right...and DC has successfully fended off vultures...and practically assured he'll NEVER return(though Wolfman had an idea...but not plausible now)

The Yosemite Bear

No GR I was refering to the Gaurdian's as the "Smurfs" I mean have you seen the female Oaians?

7 feet tall, Purple, amazons?

Ok, now just how does one survive that much of a dispairment between the Genders?

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Aya wrote: Shep, the second Flash died back during Crisis and he's been dead since.
He's one of the FEW exceptions...I can probably count on a single hand
the number of times a comic book character has died and stayed
that way

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Ghost Rider wrote:Shep- Who knows...when they die...it's crap on the level of Punisher's first death.
Eh? There's only been I think one, which started that damned "Angel Frank"
miniseries

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Mar-Vell was another.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:No GR I was refering to the Gaurdian's as the "Smurfs" I mean have you seen the female Oaians?

7 feet tall, Purple, amazons?

Ok, now just how does one survive that much of a dispairment between the Genders?

Oh yeah the Zamarons...I remember them.

Who knows...course makes you wonder why they let the Zamarons go...I mean amazons...and all you are is some shrunken smurf.

Course...Winnik now made Female Smurfs(oh yes female GUARDIANS)......oi. AT least it'll make a little more sense how New Guardians come to be :P

ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

The original Thunderbird from the X-Men is dead too. Hmm, a mutant who's stayed dead for two decades. Must be a record there.

Anyway, the resurrected Guardians are all children, both male and female. Kyle figured that the Guardians being just men was a little imbalancing. Ganthet is now trying to raise them on Oa with the help of the Zamarons, and hopefully, they won't become the annoying fucks they used to be.

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Jason Todd.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

ZShade wrote:The original Thunderbird from the X-Men is dead too. Hmm, a mutant who's stayed dead for two decades. Must be a record there.
Isn't that Warpath's brother?
Anyway, the resurrected Guardians are all children, both male and female.
Ah I thought that he had resurrected the blue fucks from the dead....oops...
And didn't Ganthet merge with Hal in the crappy end of the Hal Jordan/Kyle Raynor bitchfight?