Is it moral to display supervillain art?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Is it moral to display supervillain art?

Post by FaxModem1 »

In a Batman story I read years ago, an art museum director in Gotham city showcases several of the various props, memorabilia, and other art pieces created by Gotham's villains, as well as stuff inspired by them over the years. This causes protests and concerns by city officials, including Commissioner Gordon over what kind of feedback this will cause in the city.

If you have supervillains, is it okay to display creative work that they either made or was made about them? Even if said villains don't approve, or it causes them to feel validated and commit more crimes?

For instance, if a museum acquired access to drawings and paintings of one Dr. Hannibal Lecter, should the museum show it, or prevent the pieces from being exhibited due to how the art was made? Or what it was made from?

If that's okay, are serial killer 'trophies' art that can be allowed to be displayed?

Where's the line? Is there one?

Discuss.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Is it moral to display supervillain art?

Post by Gandalf »

Properly contextualised, I fail to see the problem?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You mean.... the way people used to buy/view John Wayne Gacy's clown paintings? Actually, they still do.

Or people who still buy books by Marion Zimmer Bradley despite evidence coming to light she was emotionally and sexually abusive towards her kids? Or listen to/buy music by Gary Glitter?

People who collect Nazi memorabilia?

It's always going to be controversial, but there will also always be people who want the art, either because they think it's good art or because they get off on the notoriety.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Hell, for 50 years (in fact, up until about a month ago) a museum in Natick, Massachusetts had a display of Adolf Hitler's surviving paintings. It, along with a number of other personal items of his, was contextualized as part of a larger (and quite comprehensive) World War II narrative. If it had been instead part of some sort of neo-Nazi shrine, I could see the problem, but I would say there's a decently clear difference between something being presented as a historical or artistic curiosity versus being presented as a fetish (in the older sense of the word) of some kind.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'd say it depends on context, after all no mortal being is 100% evil no matter what their political leaning or personality is. A shrine to glorify a serial killer or other supervillain would be an issue, but I see less issue if it's displayed in a way that doesn't glorify the criminal responsible for the art is question.

Also it obviously depends on the art peice in question.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's not that much different from Nazi artwork if you think about it. There's a right way and a wrong way to display that kind of thing, and if it can be done, there's no reason it can't be done for supervillain art.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

My grandad on my Mom's side turned out to have a freakin' huge collection of Nazi stuff that nobody knew about until we cleaned out his attic. Nothing in his personality or life actions suggested any sympathy; he fought against them in the big war. I think he just collected the shit and didn't talk about it. Some freaky stuff in there, though. Lots of potato-masher grenades, the bomb squad got called.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have just discovered there is something sort of like this in real life, where the art of serial killers is displayed. Its the Museum of Death in LA.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attracti ... ornia.html

I am going that most people don't have any moral objection to that if its displayed in its proper context, at least those who review on tripadvisor don't object anyway.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.