Thor 4 News (MCU).

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Thor 4 News (MCU).

Post by Tsyroc »

I'm waiting to see what they do with this. I read some of the comics and there were a couple of things I disliked and there was a lot that was pretty good.

I didn't like the idea that Thor was a title and that he would stop using his own name. I don't recall that happening when Beta Ray Bill took the hammer.
How he became unworthy was a little wonky but I think they could come up with a reason in the MCU that could work.
Mjolnir being powered by a sentient imprisoned galactic storm. That one's really bad. Granted Odin is a massive dick throughout the Jane as Thor series but putting a sentient thing in Mjolnir forever is f'd up. Granted the MCU Odin that was galavanting around conquering with Hela might be fine with that sort of thing but that background for Mjolnir wouldn't fit with what Odin told Thor in Thor: Ragnarok anyway. It also doesn't explain how Odin, in the comics, was able to duplicate the power in Stormbreaker or Red Norville's hammer. More galactic storms?

I do like the look of Jane as Thor and how she was portrayed. I just hope they come at it a different way than they did in the comic books. Plus, has Mjolnir been reforged? Personally, I'd love it if she got her own hammer and it looked like Stormbreaker from the comics, assuming they have no plans to go with a Beta Ray Bill version of Thor in the future.

Basically, I think they wanted to do a story like they've done before but for some reason didn't want to take the actual Thor out of the picture and that's what messes the whole thing up for a lot of people.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, Endgame basically has Thor set up to go off Guardian-ing with the Guardians of the Galaxy, so I'm guessing he'll be in their next film, and Jane will take over the role of defending the Asgardians in the Thor series?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Yeah, I think Thor took a page from Cap and realized he was done with his old life and wanted to move on, abdicating his responsibility and passing it on to Valkyrie. I wonder if they will call him Odinson to differentiate himself from Jane?

There must always be a Thor, but there doesn't always need to be a man.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Or they just decide the universe is big enough for two Thors.

That’s how hey handled it with Hawkeye in the comics, Clint and Kate both use the name Hawkeye at the same time quite amicably. (Kate Bishop is confirmed as appearing in the Hawkeye TV show which is using the title art from the Matt Fraction run, which is basically the only reason anyone cares about Hawkeye these days.)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Vendetta wrote: 2019-08-08 10:46am Or they just decide the universe is big enough for two Thors.

That’s how hey handled it with Hawkeye in the comics, Clint and Kate both use the name Hawkeye at the same time quite amicably. (Kate Bishop is confirmed as appearing in the Hawkeye TV show which is using the title art from the Matt Fraction run, which is basically the only reason anyone cares about Hawkeye these days.)
That'd be nice. Though still, "Thordis" was the name Jane took when she picked up the Hammer before in a "What If" story (ever notice how a lot of Marvel stories from the 90s onward started as "What If" stories?), and it is a proper Scandinavian ladies' name, both going by "Thor" could be fun too.

As an aside on Hawkeye, I'm both glad it's going by the Fraction run and a little sad, because I like Both takes on Clint. "Human Disaster who can shoot really good" and "Wiseass ex-carny with a chip on his shoulder but a good heart."

Though they aren't mutually exclusive, which is what I like to see. Plus from what we've seen on Clint so far, not sure he could fit either description.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It would be good to see Lady Sif again, her actress having expressed an interest in reprising her role. Her absence from Ragnarok is a loose end that needs to be dealt with.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, I'd like more Sif.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-08-11 08:58pm It would be good to see Lady Sif again, her actress having expressed an interest in reprising her role. Her absence from Ragnarok is a loose end that needs to be dealt with.
Simple: She was offworld, hunting down leads on the Infinity Stones. (Where she was during Ragnorak and Infinity war).
She was also a victim of 'the Snap'. Dr. Strange didn't know about her/where to find her in the time he had to get forces there to fight Thanos.
(Handles where she is during End Game)

Afterwards, at Valkyrie's request, Dr. Strange brings her to Earth / she gets a ride from one of the Ravagers/the Guardians of the Galaxy, showing up in time for Thor #4
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Or she just died during Ragnarok with the other forgettable supporting cast.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

She's stranded in the ABC Agents of SHIELD dimension, of which only one person, Peggy Carter has ever escaped back to the MCU proper.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-08-09 11:27am
Vendetta wrote: 2019-08-08 10:46am Or they just decide the universe is big enough for two Thors.

That'd be nice. Though still, "Thordis" was the name Jane took when she picked up the Hammer before in a "What If" story (ever notice how a lot of Marvel stories from the 90s onward started as "What If" stories?), and it is a proper Scandinavian ladies' name, both going by "Thor" could be fun too.
Thor was one of the favorite name-elements for Norse culture. I have seen 3 pages single-typed of (Thor/Þor) names while researching SCA heraldry.

This is a list of names and the frequency they appear in the Icelandic Landnamabok
Þorsteinn 83
Þórðr 72
Þorkell 58 \THOAR-kehl\
Þorbiǫrn 55
Þórir 55
Þorgeirr 51
Þórarinn 45 44
Þorgrímr 41 \THOAR-greem(r)\
Þórólfr 30 \THOAR-oalv(r)\
Þorgils 29
Þorvaldr 28 \THOAR-vahld(r)\
Þormóðr 25
Þorleifr 24

THAT"S JUST THE MALE NAMES. Here's the Female Names:
Þuríðr 58
Þorgerðr 42
Þórdís 40
Þórunn 34 \THOAR-un\
Þóra 23
Þorbiǫrg 19
Þorkatla 15
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-08-13 09:29pm
Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-08-09 11:27am

Thor was one of the favorite name-elements for Norse culture. I have seen 3 pages single-typed of (Thor/Þor) names while researching SCA heraldry.

This is a list of names and the frequency they appear in the Icelandic Landnamabok
Þorsteinn 83
Þórðr 72
Þorkell 58 \THOAR-kehl\
Þorbiǫrn 55
Þórir 55
Þorgeirr 51
Þórarinn 45 44
Þorgrímr 41 \THOAR-greem(r)\
Þórólfr 30 \THOAR-oalv(r)\
Þorgils 29
Þorvaldr 28 \THOAR-vahld(r)\
Þormóðr 25
Þorleifr 24

THAT"S JUST THE MALE NAMES. Here's the Female Names:
Þuríðr 58
Þorgerðr 42
Þórdís 40
Þórunn 34 \THOAR-un\
Þóra 23
Þorbiǫrg 19
Þorkatla 15
I love that they still use the "Thorn" letter.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

When the comics gave Jane Foster the mantle of Thor out of nowhere, I believed I commented that they could have done that without shitting on the character of Thor, who was found not worthy of Mjolnir anymore because Nick Fury said the magic words, "Gor was right?" Huh. WTF? I did point out they could have done this much better by giving Thor a "promotion" so to speak, become the All Father and then give Jane Foster the hammer.

This time it seems Marvel doesn't have this issue, since Thor got an even better weapon and is off adventuring with the Guardians of the galaxy. So I have no objections to the transition from what I can see. I might see Thor 4, but it depends on how they pull it off. Portman is only what, 5 foot 3? She doesn't have the build, so they could just have another actress play the Thor part while Portman plays the alter ego.

I wonder how they will do the comics, since Malekith was the primary villain in Jane Foster's arc, and wasn't he killed off in Thor 2? If they bring him back, I hope they use Christopher Eccleston again, and this time give him more to work with.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Going with the Lady Thor sotryline? Awesome, I'll see it just so I can give money to something that pisses off screaming manchildren.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-08-13 09:50pm I love that they still use the "Thorn" letter.
Considering these names were people listed in the Landnamabok, the saga of the settling of Iceland, they're actually very old names. I can't say if any of them are still in use, but you never know.

Still, Iceland is the only place that still uses Þ for the /th/ digraph. It's also still the only place with Patronyms and Matronyms for last names (ie -sson, -dottir)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet