Legion of superheroes to return to comics

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Legion of superheroes to return to comics

Post by mr friendly guy »

https://www.newsarama.com/45584-legion- ... going.html
DC's Legion of Super-Heroes will finally return in full-force this September - first with a two-part prelude special, followed by an ongoing series, both by Brian Michael Bendis.

It all kicks off September 18 with Legion of Super-Heroes: Millennium #1, the first of a two-issue monthly limited series setting the stage - and paving the way for a 31st Century future connecting all of DC's future timelines. That's right, the future's of Kamandi, Booster Gold, OMAC, Tommy Tomorrow, and Legion of Super-Heroes will all be incorporated into one unified continuity timeline.

Credit: DC
"The series focuses on a most unlikely tour guide to the 31st century, a familiar face to DC fans who finds herself suddenly immortal," reads DC's description. "As she learns to cope with her newfound immortality and the reason she was chosen for this quest, her 1,000-year odyssey will connect all of DC’s future timelines for the very first time."

Following that, a Legion of Super-Heroes ongoing title proper will be launched to explore this new 31st Century future at DC.

The long-awaited return of DC's preminent future superteam follows right on the heels with the long-awaited return of their preiminent superteam of the past. Scott Synder will also bring back the Justice Society of America into mainstream continuity also beginning in September.

[Check out our full interview with Snyder about his plans for the Justice Society]

Bendis, who has been teasing the return of the Legion and other characters over the last week, is writing both the limited series prelude and subsequent ongoing, with Ryan Sook drawing the LoSH ongoing and a host of artists working on Millennium, each drawing a different character. In Millennium #1, the character-artist team-ups are Supergirl-Jim Lee, Batman Beyond-Dustin Nguyen, Kamandi-Andrea Sorrentino, and Tommy Tomorrow-André Lima Araújo. For Millennium #2, the pairings are Booster Gold-Nicola Scott, OMAC-Jim Cheung, 'Off-World'-Jeff Dekal, and Legion of Super-Heroes-Ryan Sook.

Credit: DC
"Since its Silver Age origin, the Legion of Super-Heroes has been the cornerstone of the future DC Universe," said Bendis. "Over time, a wealth of future characters and stories have emerged since the Legion’s beginnings and connecting these threads to an updated version of the Legion is a story Ryan and I can’t wait to tell."

[Check out Ryan Sook's Legion of Super-Heroes redesigns]

Check out a gallery with more art from Millennium #1 and #2 right here.
I admit I only read comics intermittently these days. The last one I checked out is Doomsday clock. However the Legion along with the Avengers were my favourites back in the day. In the last decade DC gave us great legion stories such as the Legion of 3 worlds which I have the TPB as well as on CBR files, and the continuing story of the Legion. I hope they do the legion justice. I would love to see more of the Black Witch, and hope they bring Andromeda back into the new 52 continuity and maybe show the alternative legion who we read about in the 90s, who are now called the Wanderers.

Long live the Legion.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Re: Legion of superheroes to return to comics

Post by Bedlam »

Ooh! I love the Legion.

I wonder if this is another reboot or if they're going to try to carry on from one of the (several) previously continuities?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Bedlam wrote: 2019-06-16 01:43pm Ooh! I love the Legion.

I wonder if this is another reboot or if they're going to try to carry on from one of the (several) previously continuities?
Well, Saturn Girl showed up in Doomsday Clock, so I'd guess it has something to do with that.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Bedlam wrote: 2019-06-16 01:43pm Ooh! I love the Legion.

They plan to show all the future timelines we know about DC (eg Booster Gold timeline) and show how the Legion's time continues from that. So I am guessing it will be a carry on and an attempt to make all the various timelines in DC make sense. Of course since Dr Manhattan tampered with time in Doomsday clock, they do have a free hand to tweak things here and there and just blame it on Manhattan or any other <insert plot device which changes timeline>.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.