Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Spoilers)

Post by Majin Gojira »

Because I want to talk about this one.

The whole film is a wonderful spectacle. A little light on character, but not a Kenny or truly annoying character in sight, though opinions vary. Lots of great worldbuilding, and some which leave me scratching my head.

We have new TItans, including Behemoth -- a Trunkless Mammoth with ape limbs, a Cthulhu faced spider, other MUTO specimens, an armored reptilian thing. I want to get the full details on these monsters, which I bet are in the Artbook.

Godzilla takes a Nuclear blast to the face and not only does it not phase him, it heals and empowers him.

The Oxygen Destroyer is used in the film, though it gravely wounds Godzilla rather than killing him. No skeletonization effect, just mass death within a 2-mile radius. Ghidorah, being an alien, survives without a scratch.

The radiation from Titans apparently is as magical as it was in the 1950s since it causes plants to grow rapidly and general environmental healing.

To paraphrase moviebob "Gee, a movie where the villains are misguided ecoterrorists released by major studios with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo?"

I have more thoughts on the film itself, so feel free to talk about that, or the worldbuilding done in the movie, or both.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Spoilers)

Post by Solauren »

I would assume the radiation from the 'Titans' is either not typical nuclear radiation, or is a 'carrier' for something else.

Hopefully, Godzilla getting healed and overpowered by a nuke will make the military think twice about trying to kill him.
(On that note, did that blow up Atlantis?)

Damn, Rodan is an asshole sometimes.

I'm wondering if, now that we've confirmed Ghidorah is an alien, will the other alien-monster-with-a-problem-with-Godzilla show up in another movie? And will he bring his oceanic beetle buddy? (Yes, I actually enjoyed Megalon vs Godzilla)

Nice setting up for both Godzilla vs Kong, and a Godzilla vs Mecha-Ghidorah movie. By my count, we've got 4 potential sequels set up
Godzilla vs Kong (post production, do out next year), Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla vs Mecha-Ghidorah, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (a rebuild Mecha-Ghidorah), and enough to set up 2 'spin offs'; Godzilla vs Pacific Rim, by making Ghidorah a Precursor weapon, and due to the sunken city..... Godzilla vs Cthulhu
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

With the presumably processed radiation of the Titans being millions of years old in terms of evolution it kind of makes sense that something would have evolved to have benefited from their presence even if it doesn't make sense to what we know in modern science.

Ghidorah was massively evil in this movie. It was awesome.

Behemoth was the ape/mammoth, although he's described as being a bit more like a sloth (fore claws) in the novelization.
Scylla is the spider with the Cthulhu tentacles.
Muto Prime, is what they call what to me looks like a female Muto in the movie. The Muto Prime in Aftershock looks a bit different. The female MUTO on her own isn't much of a threat to Godzilla. The prime version is what would attack, infest, and kill his species like what happened to the deceased "Godzilla" shown at the beginning of the 2014 movie.
Methuselah - was the creature in Germany that we never saw beyond waking up and looking like a moving mountain.

There are other creatures in the novelization with Moleke Mtumbe getting the most action. Most of the other creatures have cool names based on various mythologies but we don't really hear or see much about them. Except for the Kraken. Think giant nautilus that is very crafty and powerful and has camouflage skills beyond the best current day cephalopod.

Kong does hear the alpha call, but isn't all that inclined to respond, especially after the creatures below Skull Island start to respond. That's pretty much how far that goes but it might help set up Kong v. Godzilla for next year.

I still have a long way to go to get through the art book. Supposedly there's a very Giganesque figure in there.

I would have thought that after trying to nuke Godzilla back in the 50s they would have decided it was a bad idea after he reappeared in 2014, unless they thought he was gone because he was healing. In which case the "hit 'em again" idea comes into play. :roll: I was kind of annoyed with the 2014 movie when they talked about the modern nukes being more powerful than what was used then. Yeah, not really. we've never built anything that had larger nuclear explosions than what we tested then. Potentially we could do that but they are not in our current nuclear arsenal and after this movie it seems like a really stupid option considering a big nuclear explosion might just supercharge Godzilla so he is mega powerful on a rampage.....and then he explodes like the bomb. So a kind of double whammy.

Monarch's underwater base is called Castle Bravo which was also the name of the test where the US "accidentally" detonated a 15 megaton device. I think that is the "test" in Godzilla 2014. I say accidentally because there were some miscalculations with how the components would interact and the output of the detonation was more than double what was expected. So since that didn't kill him it makes sense that they came up with something different like the oxygen destroyer.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Finally got to see the movie. Love that they continued the Hollow Earth theory from King Kong, and even properly attributed it.

Did not expect how the Human Plot would run. I wanted to hit the Mom over the head with her own ORCA device. Great Job, Mom, scar your only remaining child for LIFE. You running off to be the distraction didn't do shit to redeem yourself. Watanabe/Serizawa got the BEST death imho. I think that was the only time he really got close to Godzilla, wasn't it?

Loved it when I realized the Li scientists were TWINS, 3rd-Gen Monarchs (each a set of twin girls), and now I'm wondering if that photo was of the Original Mothra Twins.
Either way, the Mothra Theme made me squee for joy whenever I heard it, and Mothra emerging from her cocoon nearly made me weep with delight. It was so beautiful. And then Rodan beat her down, and Ghidorah killed her! BOOO HISSS!!! But at the end, Rodan still had the wound from Mothra's stinger, so, eh?

Also loved that Godzilla had control over the release of the excess Radiation from the nuke. I was expecting him to blow up and die, like he did in one movie.

I would LOVE a recording of the news-run at the end of the movie (Blue Oyster Cult FTW!). I want to try to read some of those articles under the headlines, and see more of the flashes of ancient symbols.

And of COURSE King Kong has a beef with Godzilla. The People of Skull Island imply that Kong's species has protected them from the Hollow Earth Skullheads for Kong generations. We see Godzilla knows and uses the Hollow Earth tunnels, and seems to have lived there protecting his own People. Then, we see a wall-painting of Kong v/s Godzilla, showing an ancient fight between the two, with people either fighting each other below them or just standing in awe (couldn't tell, it went by too fast).
They'll fight for the sole reason that Kong's instinct says things from Hollow Earth are BAD THINGS, and Godzilla is the King of Hollow Earth.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Some Wikis are saying that when Godzilla released the excess radiation to kill Ghidorah, it was shaped like Mothra's wings, and her screech could be heard. I didn't catch that bit, did anyone else?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-06-24 01:03am Some Wikis are saying that when Godzilla released the excess radiation to kill Ghidorah, it was shaped like Mothra's wings, and her screech could be heard. I didn't catch that bit, did anyone else?
I caught it the second time I watched after reading the same stuff you did.

I thought the wings bit were subtle but there. The screech was more noticable.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.