Live-Action Akira adaptation coming 2021

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Live-Action Akira adaptation coming 2021

Post by tezunegari »

TheWrap.com wrote: Taika Waititi’s ‘Akira’ Gets Summer 2021 Release Date

Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way is producing Warner Bros. film based on Japanese anime
Brian Welk | May 24, 2019 @ 9:38 AM Last Updated: May 24, 2019 @ 10:06 AM

A live-action “Akira” is finally coming to the big screen.

“Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi is set to direct the remake of the Japanese anime film that is being produced by Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way Productions and released by Warner Bros.

The event film will open on May 21, 2021.
Filmmakers have tried for nearly two decades to make an adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo’s ’80s manga series and the animated 1988 cult film “Akira,” dating as far back as when Warner Bros. first acquired the rights in 2002. Justin Lin, Jaume Collett-Sera and Jordan Peele were among the directors who were approached for the project. And Waititi, the New Zealand director behind “Hunt for the Wilderpeople,” “What We Do in the Shadows” and the upcoming “Jojo Rabbit,” had been circling the project for years.

Speculation perked up that the project was officially happening when in April the California Film Commission revealed that “Akira” was eligible for a tax credit for filming in the state.

“Akira” takes place in a dystopian near-future in a city called Neo-Tokyo, which was built after the old Tokyo was destroyed by a psychic attack. Enter a pair of teenage bikers, Tetsuo and Kaneda, who become the top target of the government when Tetsuo suddenly develops psychic powers. Soon, the bikers are on the run not just from the government, but from Akira, the powerful psychic behind the first psychic explosion that destroyed Tokyo.
DiCaprio is producing on behalf of his Appian Way along with Jennifer Davisson.

In an interview in 2018, Waititi said he was still trying to wrap his head around what he wanted to do with the remake, and that he was committed to adapting the six books on which the film is based rather than remake the animated film itself.
I am carefully optimistic.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
phred
Jedi Knight

Re: Live-Action Akira adaptation coming 2021

Post by phred »

I'm not. I would be happy to be pleasantly surprised, but i just don't have faith that they can pull it off.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I saw an (unsourced) tweet claiming Taika Waititi expressed a desire to actually cast Asian actors in the movie. If that is accurate, it's at least promising assuming the studio is willing to allow it.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

STOP PUTTING MOVIES AND TV IN OFF-TOPIC!!
Moved to Fantasy where it belongs!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

phred wrote: 2019-05-24 08:44pm I'm not. I would be happy to be pleasantly surprised, but i just don't have faith that they can pull it off.
That's where I am as well.

I saw a video where Tetsuo and Kaneda are supposed to be brothers and the film will be set in a future version of New York City. So it's really on shaky ground as far as I'm concerned.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Mr. G
Youngling

Post by Mr. G »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-05-25 12:57pm STOP PUTTING MOVIES AND TV IN OFF-TOPIC!!
Moved to Fantasy where it belongs!
I would think Akira is science fiction? I mean science fiction if full of settings of people with psych powers, so I don't think of it automatically as fantasy.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Just so we have a barometer of how this may be adapted: