Captain Marvel teaser.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Might we also see how Nick Fury loses his eye too?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Don't think that's official?

Pretty sure I saw Starbuck in there.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

This is the real one.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Looks like Captain Marvel worked with (or for) the Kree before returning to Earth. She also seems to have her Binary powers, which was when Carol Danvers was at her most powerful.

At least they won't have Rogue steal her powers. :D Since Marvel doesn't have movie rights to X-men.

For those who aren't versed in Marvel history, Carol Danvers started her superhero career as Ms Marvel, after meeting the Kree renegade Captain Marvell (Marvell, Marvel get it). Then the mutant Rogue (who became an X-man) stole her powers leaving Carol catatonic and without powers when she eventually woke up. Further experiments on her made her into Binary, her most powerful form which the Marvel handbook listed her as lifting 100 tons. Obviously Marvel characters lift more than that, even though Thor and Hulk were stated to be lifting around that mark. So Carol in her Binary form is most likely around Thor level strength.

Eventually her Binary powers faded (under Kurt Busiek's run at Avengers) and she became Ms Marvel again, but still a powerhouse. Its stated she lifted around 50 tons, so maybe half her strength level as Binary.

During the time in Marvel, the original Captain Marvel died, had various relatives such as Genus and Phyla (get the naming conventions after biological classifications :D ) take up the mantle of Captain Marvel, but they also died. Eventually Carol got the mantle of Captain Marvel and a new hero (Kamala Khan) took over the mantle of Ms Marvel.

And the alt right crowd anti feminist crowd got triggered about how Ms Marvel is now a Pakistani immigrant (re : non white) hero and Captain Marvel is no longer male (ignoring the fact, briefly the mantle was held by Captain Marvell's daughter Phyla-Vell, which they most probably don't know about anyway).

Anyway, back to the trailer, it looks good. I haven't seen all Marvel movies because not all of them looked interesting enough to make it worth my while, or I wasn't a big fan of said character (eg Ant-man), but this has got me interested.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-09-18 11:58am
And the alt right crowd anti feminist crowd got triggered about how Ms Marvel is now a Pakistani immigrant (re : non white) hero and Captain Marvel is no longer male (ignoring the fact, briefly the mantle was held by Captain Marvell's daughter Phyla-Vell, which they most probably don't know about anyway).
Monica Rambeau was also Captain Marvel for a while.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ironically SlJ does have two eyes in the real trailer as well.

She seems to be in something a lot more like the nova corp than the mcu nova corp is.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-09-18 01:52pm She seems to be in something a lot more like the nova corp than the mcu nova corp is.
That'll be their version of the Kree Imperial Guard.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Now the question -- is she a human/Kree hybrid, or are her human memories all fake?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-09-18 04:04pm Now the question -- is she a human/Kree hybrid, or are her human memories all fake?
Off the cuff guess: she gets picked up by the Kree somehow as a pilot, maybe after she crashes her fighter plane, and is turned into one of them. Basically sort of a Marvel version of Green Lantern's (Jordan) origin, which isn't actually dissimilar to how it went in the comics.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-09-18 04:04pm Now the question -- is she a human/Kree hybrid, or are her human memories all fake?
IIRC in the comics Carol Denvers version of Captain Marvel was born 100% human but was infused with Kree powers by the original kree Captain Marvel (or Mar'Vell was he was also called) to save her life which later cause her to become his successor.

So they might use a variation of that in the movie where the human test pilot Carol Denvers somehow ends up saved by the kree warrior Mar'Vell who then inducts her into kree service, who block her memories of being a human to ensure her loyality, it's possibility but we'll have to wait for the movie to come to see.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-09-18 11:58am Looks like Captain Marvel worked with (or for) the Kree before returning to Earth. She also seems to have her Binary powers, which was when Carol Danvers was at her most powerful.

At least they won't have Rogue steal her powers. :D Since Marvel doesn't have movie rights to X-men.
Haven't seen it yet, but supposedly season two of Iron Fist has dropped some Fantastic Four hints, so it looks as if Marvel is hitting the ground running with the Fox properties.

For all we know there is some Rogue-stuff in this movie, which is set to be released after the merger with FOX is complete.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

On the one hand, I'd love for MCU Rogue to have the Ms Marvel powerset and kick some ass, rather than just being the woobie (The original trilogy kind of dropped the ball there). On the other, I'd hope for Captain Marvel's movie to be all about her and not stuff too much extra in it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, no, they aren't going to pull out the X-Men this early in the game. For one thing, Fox still has a movie coming out (Dark Phoenix) that's supposed to tie off the entire Fox X-Men universe from the original film all the way through Wolverine, First Class, and so forth. So we definitely aren't going to see Rogue in this film.

The Iron Fist reference to Fantastic Four is apparently just an offhand reference to the Baxter Building and nothing else, so it's not that impressive either. While I have no question that Marvel Studios might do a FF film somewhere down the road... better they don't do it this soon. People still remember the embarrassing flop that was Fant4stic, and there's no really great way to shoehorn it into the current MCU at the moment until after Infinity War/Avengers 4 comes out. That will basically be a reset button for the MCU, is what I understand it's expected to be.

So, I'm expecting this movie to mostly focus on Carol Danvers, to a lesser extent her adventures with the Kree, and be mostly about her returning to Earth and punching Skrulls.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-09-18 04:18pm
Off the cuff guess: she gets picked up by the Kree somehow as a pilot, maybe after she crashes her fighter plane, and is turned into one of them. Basically sort of a Marvel version of Green Lantern's (Jordan) origin, which isn't actually dissimilar to how it went in the comics.
Yeah, my guess is she's picked up and her human memories are suppressed so she can be a nice loyal Kree warrior and they are resurface through the film, to add a nice "can't trust my own memories" angle to the "trust nobody they might be Skrulls" plot.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ugh, I need to stop talking about Captain Marvel on Imgur. There's such hate for it there. "It's going to be terrible and I'm going to be called sexist for saying it"

They protest too much, methinks. It's ironic that I think they're more sexist when they say that than if they just didn't like it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah. "I haven't seen the movie but I know its going to be bad when almost all we know about is that it has a powerful female lead, and I'm not sexist but the evil SJWs are going to call me sexist for not liking it" is pretty much generic Alt. Reich/MRA trolling.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-09-19 08:44pm Yeah. "I haven't seen the movie but I know its going to be bad when almost all we know about is that it has a powerful female lead, and I'm not sexist but the evil SJWs are going to call me sexist for not liking it" is pretty much generic Alt. Reich/MRA trolling.
Indeed you don't have to like the movie but saying that "this movie is going to be terrible" which isn't just "I won't like this movie" but rather is an implied "no-one is gonna like this movie" when we know barely anything about and then adding "they're probably gonna call me sexist for it" is a major red flag.

It pretty much screams "I'm a sexist moron!" and yes I would call a person who says a movie is going to be "terrible" with this little info sexist because I call a chicken, a chicken and not an eagle no matter how they want to be called that ;).

That said if I won't like movie I'll say that but I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen it or at least know the major plot details.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-09-18 11:58am At least they won't have Rogue steal her powers. :D Since Marvel doesn't have movie rights to X-men.
Wut?

I thought Disney's Fox acquisition was a done deal.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-09-20 12:39am
mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-09-18 11:58am At least they won't have Rogue steal her powers. :D Since Marvel doesn't have movie rights to X-men.
Wut?

What? Disney has acquired the rights? :shock: This just goes to show how much I pay attention or keep track of who owns what. But if they do have rights to the X-men, don't have her fucking steal Captain Marvel's powers. Have her duplicate it or something due to freak plot device so we have two powerful females. Although, Rogue is only equivalent to Carol Danver's Ms Marvel persona and not her Binary identity level which is a whole new ballgame.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-09-20 07:09am
Galvatron wrote: 2018-09-20 12:39am
Wut?

What? Disney has acquired the rights? :shock: This just goes to show how much I pay attention or keep track of who owns what. But if they do have rights to the X-men, don't have her fucking steal Captain Marvel's powers. Have her duplicate it or something due to freak plot device so we have two powerful females. Although, Rogue is only equivalent to Carol Danver's Ms Marvel persona and not her Binary identity level which is a whole new ballgame.
Disney is in the process of buying all of Fox's entertainment wing, which includes their marvel rights. I'm not sure it has all gone through yet.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

It's not completely through yet, and the movie was produced when it was still being negotiated. As stated by others, we likely won't see any Fox-held properties weaved in until after Infinity War.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-09-19 10:16pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-09-19 08:44pm Yeah. "I haven't seen the movie but I know its going to be bad when almost all we know about is that it has a powerful female lead, and I'm not sexist but the evil SJWs are going to call me sexist for not liking it" is pretty much generic Alt. Reich/MRA trolling.
Indeed you don't have to like the movie but saying that "this movie is going to be terrible" which isn't just "I won't like this movie" but rather is an implied "no-one is gonna like this movie" when we know barely anything about and then adding "they're probably gonna call me sexist for it" is a major red flag.

It pretty much screams "I'm a sexist moron!" and yes I would call a person who says a movie is going to be "terrible" with this little info sexist because I call a chicken, a chicken and not an eagle no matter how they want to be called that ;).

That said if I won't like movie I'll say that but I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen it or at least know the major plot details.
To be fair, the trailer isn't anything impressive on its own. People do judge a movie's potential by the trailers, and if the trailers are not appealing, then they can easily believe the movie isn't that impressive either.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yes, that's true. But there's a difference between 'I didn't enjoy this trailer' (fair enough) and ''This movie is going to be hot steaming garbage, and everyone who says as much will be called sexist for it." (Protests too much and doesn't even mention the trailer)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

ray245 wrote: 2018-09-21 05:47am

To be fair, the trailer isn't anything impressive on its own. People do judge a movie's potential by the trailers, and if the trailers are not appealing, then they can easily believe the movie isn't that impressive either.
Yeah but as Crazedwraith pointed out there's a world of difference between "this trailer isn't very good so it seems I'm probably not gonna like this movie" and "This movie is gonna be terrible and people will call me sexist for saying that".

Calling a movie we've seen only a teaser and some promo pics "terrible" is jumping to conclusion based on too little info but it's not that bad in and of itself some people are quick to judge, it's the second part that turns it into a major red flag, saying "people are gonna call me sexist for saying this" suggests that you're in fact calling it horrible for sexist reasons, bad is bad, there no reason to defend yourself there.

There's plenty of examples of bad movies with "strong female lead" the recent "Catwoman" movie is a good example, no one is gonna call you sexist just for calling that movie terrible because most people would agree with you.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-09-21 12:28pm
ray245 wrote: 2018-09-21 05:47am

Yeah but as Crazedwraith pointed out there's a world of difference between "this trailer isn't very good so it seems I'm probably not gonna like this movie" and "This movie is gonna be terrible and people will call me sexist for saying that".

Calling a movie we've seen only a teaser and some promo pics "terrible" is jumping to conclusion based on too little info but it's not that bad in and of itself some people are quick to judge, it's the second part that turns it into a major red flag, saying "people are gonna call me sexist for saying this" suggests that you're in fact calling it horrible for sexist reasons, bad is bad, there no reason to defend yourself there.

There's plenty of examples of bad movies with "strong female lead" the recent "Catwoman" movie is a good example, no one is gonna call you sexist just for calling that movie terrible because most people would agree with you.
I intend to see this film regardless of what the reviews say, just because it's an MCU film. Just as Black Panther (which to me was a bit 'meh') was the last film setting up IW, Captain Marvel is going to do the same with IW2. Thanks to the way the MCU works, seeing the other films is the only way to make sense of things.

If the meat of the story takes place off-planet it might explain why she wasn't around for IW. Kind of have to assume Fury's device was more than a simple pager to get a signal to her. I suspect the post credit scene will show her receiving said signal- obviously she wouldn't have been on Xandar during Thanos' raid else she would have stopped him before he got a single stone. Perhaps she gets to the planet after the event and we see the carange Thanos left behind, and people disintegrate around her.