Wonder Woman- the Reviews are In

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Wonder Woman- the Reviews are In

Post by Gandalf »

From what I recall, the Germans chased Steve in when it was night time outside, but daytime inside. When they both leave, it's night both in and out. I guess there's at least a little time dilation.

Perhaps the Amazonians just live forever anyway, but there's time dilation for the shit of it?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote:ABOUT THAT CHARGE SHE MADE:
She started the charge across No Man's Land because the woman said the townspeople were being killed and enslaved, and she decided that no, she was NOT going to stand by for this any longer. You ask what she accomplished by drawing all the fire? She liberated a TOWN. She moved that section of The Front forward, something that hadn't been done in weeks. She made a difference, one that would have lasted to the Armistice had Lundendorff not arranged his little demonstration. It was more than just "get them across the map". It was the moment she decided to take a stand, and if you look back on it, the moment she became a Symbol, an inspiration to those who had lost hope. At that moment, she became a true Amazon (as per the story her mother told her).
That was one of my favourite bits, because it showed that individual heroism was ultimately no match for the war machine itself. WW et al didn't saves their lives, but gave them a day of freedom. No matter how many trenches you charge, there's always another one behind it.

It reminds me of a part of Batman v Superman where Batman laments his time as a crime fighter, complaining that no matter how many criminals he punched, another one always appeared. Similarly, no matter how many soldiers WW punched out of buildings, she was always doomed because the problems faced were systemic. It was bigger than Ludendorff, Ares, and the rest of the cast. One cannot punch global capitalist imperialism into submission.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Gandalf wrote:From what I recall, the Germans chased Steve in when it was night time outside, but daytime inside. When they both leave, it's night both in and out. I guess there's at least a little time dilation.

Perhaps the Amazonians just live forever anyway, but there's time dilation for the shit of it?
It was foggy and overcast when they went in, but seemed too light to be night time. Themyscira has its own personal weather, but not its own personal time.

If there were time dilation strong enough to make four thousand years outside run in something like twenty inside, the one or two days Steve spent there would have been nearly a year outside and so it would be far too late for him to do anything.

It's worth noting that Hippolyta's story to Diana in which the death of Zeus is expounded (and many other things she was told) is only true from a certain point of view, so Diana's conception could actually have been quite recent.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Gandalf wrote:That was one of my favourite bits, because it showed that individual heroism was ultimately no match for the war machine itself. WW et al didn't saves their lives, but gave them a day of freedom. No matter how many trenches you charge, there's always another one behind it.
Knowing the history of World War One, I'm going to have to disagree with you in the strict sense. Experience shows that yes you totally can reach the last trench, you just have to keep charging them really hard.

Warning: requisite ability of charging may be beyond your ability.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I saw the movie yesterday.
Spoiler
So. He jumps in the bomber. With bombs. And a bomb bay. And a convenient ocean right over there.

... Why, exactly, did he need to blow himself up, again?

Also, eastern Mediterranean to the River Thames in one night in a sailboat. Riiiiiiiiight.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Possibility:
Consider that young children learn the best.

Diana can apparently speak and read hundreds of languages. Proficiently. Languages take years to learn that well.

They also spoke modern English.

My theory:
Time passed normally on the Island, but Diana didn't age until her martial training started. Her aging might have stopped when she reached adulthood.
While she was still young, the Amazons went out into the world, to get her more knowledge. Or at least to learn new languages. They also took in refuge females that found the island.
All that knowledge was passed on to Diana.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Rogue 9 wrote:I saw the movie yesterday.
Spoiler
So. He jumps in the bomber. With bombs. And a bomb bay. And a convenient ocean right over there.

... Why, exactly, did he need to blow himself up, again?

Also, eastern Mediterranean to the River Thames in one night in a sailboat. Riiiiiiiiight.
Spoiler
Wait, what ocean? They were in Germany having crossed over from Belgium. The gas was enough kill everyone in a 50km radius. They didn't know any safe zone in that area because, well, that's a huge death area.

And, uh, I gotta assume they skipped a day in there somehow ^^
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Q99 wrote:Spoiler
Wait, what ocean? They were in Germany having crossed over from Belgium. The gas was enough kill everyone in a 50km radius. They didn't know any safe zone in that area because, well, that's a huge death area.

And, uh, I gotta assume they skipped a day in there somehow ^^
Okay, at this point I'm dispensing with spoiler tags since they're busted. If someone is for some boneheaded reason reading this thread without having seen the movie, you are warned.

The ocean the flight plan called for flying over. Y'know, since it was bound to bomb London and all. If it has the endurance for that and back, it can get over the North Sea, drop the payload, and then land in Britain just fine.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Rogue 9 wrote:The ocean the flight plan called for flying over. Y'know, since it was bound to bomb London and all. If it has the endurance for that and back, it can get over the North Sea, drop the payload, and then land in Britain just fine.
Perhaps Steve feared that for one reason or another, the plane would get shot down en route, by either side?

- George Carlin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Gandalf wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:The ocean the flight plan called for flying over. Y'know, since it was bound to bomb London and all. If it has the endurance for that and back, it can get over the North Sea, drop the payload, and then land in Britain just fine.
Perhaps Steve feared that for one reason or another, the plane would get shot down en route, by either side?
Which would have the exact same effect as him detonating the gas shortly after takeoff.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Which would have the exact same effect as him detonating the gas shortly after takeoff.
Unless the plane crash lands in/near a populated area, the plane breaks down, etc. Planes being relatively new technology in the period makes this quite a concern.

The plan in the film allowed Steve to maintain control of the situation the whole way.

- George Carlin
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Also, it's night and Steve doesn't have a navigator and if he loses his way the bombs are on a timer and will go off at a certain point like it or not.

Night navigation with aircraft of the time could be pretty tricky.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Also the movie established that the poison gas was hydrogen-based, and therefore flammable. So he blew up the plane in order to make sure that the gas was burned up instead of just dropping the payload and hoping nobody wandered into the area in the time it would take for the gas to dissipate naturally.

And if the plane was just shot down or ditched in an unpopulated area, the impact of the crash might not be enough to ignite the gas.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Hm, I wonder if it'd automatically go off if dropped over the water and thus still leave death clouds that could waft to the UK or France depending on wind currents... the described death zone was *huge*.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Presumably. I mean, the weapon as described in the movie makes no sense from a chemical standpoint, but if we go by what the writers obviously intended, then it would very definitely be a death cloud situation.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I assume the Amazons are "immortal" in the same way Marvel's Asgardians are: they do age, but much, much slower than regular humans do.

Anyway, saw it and loved it. The score was surprisingly good too.

Thank God JL has a strong lead-in now.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Hippolyta and Antiope did look a bit older than the rest.

I do feel it pretty safe to say that Wonder Woman is rescuing the DCCU. If it couldn't get a good hold 4 movies in, it might've limped along longer but I doubt it'd stay.

Box-office wise, as-of day 7, it's now making more day-to-day than the other films are at the same point. They started higher but had steep falloffs while Wondy's looking to have better-than-marvel holds. Also apparently prospects for the new Tom Cruise Mummy movie are looking slim (irony- that one is also intended to launch a whole universe, Universal's 'Dark Universe' centered on classic monsters. In which Tom Cruise is being set up to be one of the big reoccurring leads...) so estimates are looking quite rosey for Wondy cleaning up again- in the 50-60 mil range.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

saw it. loved it. Wife was grinning and giggling throughout the film and succintly summed it up as "boobs and philosophy", she's been quoting bits for the last day. That is a rare occurance.

Ares actually wanting to destroy the human race - that's new isn't it? I thought he's normally after endless war (which needs humans)?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

madd0ct0r wrote:Ares actually wanting to destroy the human race - that's new isn't it? I thought he's normally after endless war (which needs humans)?
Not sure off the top of me head, but it is a natural evolution for an Ares in the 20th century. Past a certain point endless war is going to lead to that.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

In the Perez version of WW, she convinces Ares that escalating things to WWIII will make him briefly immensely powerful and then he would start progressing to nothing because everyone would be dead. No one left to fight wars and "feed/worship" the god of war. After that he sort of supports WW at least some of the time.

Some of the later comics have Ares becoming the god of conflict. I guess that's an evolution of sorts since there are a lot of things that could be considered conflicts.

I was disappointed that the movie appears to have killed off all the Olympians. They've been a big and interesting part of the comics for awhile. I suppose some of the the children of the main gods could still be alive. Deimos and Phobos, maybe? Cersei, although I think she's supposed to be a daughter of Atlas in the comics so descended from a Titan instead of a god.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

It's disappointing, but who knows how death works for Olympians in this setting? It would be pretty trivial to decide that they're all trapped in Tartarus or that Ares really just wounded and sealed them in stasis or whatever if the writers decide they want to bring them back in future movies.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I just got back from seeing it and I agree it's very good. Like The Avengers, they took their time waiting until fairly late in the film when they played her theme at full blast.

One thing I never figured out was where and how she got her sword for fighting Doomsday. The one she had here was revealed to be nothing extraordinary (at least for Amazons) since Ares destroyed it very easily, yet she obtained one for BvS that was capable of slicing off Doomsday's hand. If we're to infer that Ares is more powerful he didn't seem that way since they were both capable of similar levels of destruction.

A minor niggle, but Ares' moustache looked totally stupid and I couldn't take him seriously as a villain. :lol:
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:One thing I never figured out was where and how she got her sword for fighting Doomsday. The one she had here was revealed to be nothing extraordinary (at least for Amazons) since Ares destroyed it very easily, yet she obtained one for BvS that was capable of slicing off Doomsday's hand. If we're to infer that Ares is more powerful he didn't seem that way since they were both capable of similar levels of destruction.
Well on the sword front, there's almost a hundred years between the two so plenty of time for her to have wondered the earth and to have come across some super/magic sword in that time period.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Ares might've simply had power over weapons- he created new ones, he shaped his armor, etc..
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:A minor niggle, but Ares' moustache looked totally stupid and I couldn't take him seriously as a villain. :lol:
I actually thought that made him more ironic, because he was born a God, but looked so mousy. You'd expect a God of War to look more like Lundendroff, a soldier with many years experience. To have him turn out to be the quiet one, the sneaky one, working from shadows? That is more fitting with the Greek mythos of Ares -- a warrior who turned coward at the first sign of defeat. A manipulator who only took the field when he felt he had an unfair advantage over his foe.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet