Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer

Post by Khaat »

Iroscato wrote:More likely, the Grandmaster's underlings detected an awesomely strong warrior's presence in orbit of Earth (Hulk in the Quinjet at LEO) and decided to nab him for their boss.

That's how I could see it playing out anyway - if they explain it at all.
That's my read as well: "he crashed his plane (quinjet, on Sakarra, through a wormhole) and when my boys went to check for survivors, he pre-qualified for the arena."
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Khaat wrote:
Iroscato wrote:More likely, the Grandmaster's underlings detected an awesomely strong warrior's presence in orbit of Earth (Hulk in the Quinjet at LEO) and decided to nab him for their boss.

That's how I could see it playing out anyway - if they explain it at all.
That's my read as well: "he crashed his plane (quinjet, on Sakarra, through a wormhole) and when my boys went to check for survivors, he pre-qualified for the arena."
It would certainly explain his absence from Civil War, when Ragnarok is released 18 months will have passed. They confirmed that each Thor film is set the year it was released (it was stated in Dark World that 2 years had passed since Thor 1), so by this time Hulk will have been there a long time. Unless the wormhole that nabs Hulk is through time as well as space...

I wasn't expecting Myeah-myeah to be destroyed so easily. Unless it was something similar to the teaser for Ultron where we see Cap's shield similarly broken...
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Cooler King wrote:Image

This fills me with joy. I do worry, as Bedlam mentioned, that they won't give the scene the gravitas it needs to work properly.
I think really the context has to completely change. It will be a visual nod to the last stand at Gjallerbru, but if they wanted the actual thing then Amora and Skurge should have been around for all three movies and probably the central villain of at least one of them, because a large part of the weight of the scene is Skurge's history as an antagonist and his relationship with the Enchantress.
I wasn't expecting Myeah-myeah to be destroyed so easily. Unless it was something similar to the teaser for Ultron where we see Cap's shield similarly broken...
Given that they showed it in the trailer and it's seemingly on Earth, my guess is that it happens within the first ten to fifteen minutes of the movie (probably bringing Thor into contact with Strange as a way off of Earth to go to the aid of Asgard).
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Mjolnir has been destroyed a few times in the comics.

Against the Destroyer who Thor defeated in the first movie. In the comics he is much tougher.

Also had been destroyed when Thor channelled a large part of his power to fight Exitar the exterminator, one of the Celestials. So it was pretty much destroyed by Thor himself in this case.

It was also shattered by Perrikus of the dark gods, in a stupid Dan Jurgen moment where he waxed poetry about how shocking it was because Mjolnir had never been broken before. Yeah, except for those 2 cases.

Don't remember Hela doing it though.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Mjolnir has been destroyed a few times in the comics.

Against the Destroyer who Thor defeated in the first movie. In the comics he is much tougher.

Also had been destroyed when Thor channelled a large part of his power to fight Exitar the exterminator, one of the Celestials. So it was pretty much destroyed by Thor himself in this case.

It was also shattered by Perrikus of the dark gods, in a stupid Dan Jurgen moment where he waxed poetry about how shocking it was because Mjolnir had never been broken before. Yeah, except for those 2 cases.

Don't remember Hela doing it though.
According to Wikipedia, one time when Mjolnir was repaired/rebuilt using some of Thor's life force, which meant that if it was destroyed again, Thor himself might die.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Mjolnir's tough but it's not quite even Cap's shield tough.

Sidenote, there's only one major unbreakable artifact in comics I know of that really have never been broken: Wonder Woman's bracers. Her lasso has been, but never the aegis bracers.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

ANGELUS wrote:
Khaat wrote:So in the comics, Thanos is trying to win over Lady Death. Could the MCU just be short-cutting that to be Hela?
Sounds feasible, but we don't know Thanos' actual motivation on the MCU. He could simply be a megalomaniac that wants to take over the universe or something. All we have so far is a mention from Thanos' minion at the end of The Avengers saying that to fight them would be "to court death" and then Thanos smirking.

I mean... it could be, but we still need more information.
Funny thing. I rewatched The Avengers last night and the after credits clip with Thanos actually gives us insight into his motives. The Chittauri leader is telling Thanos that attacking the humans is courting death, and you see the biggest grin on his face. So. I'd say he's still got the hots for death.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

You mean what Angelus mentioned right there in the post you quoted?

I'm inclined to think thats a mythology gag rather than an indication of his actual motivation.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Crazedwraith wrote:You mean what Angelus mentioned right there in the post you quoted?

I'm inclined to think thats a mythology gag rather than an indication of his actual motivation.
I'm going to just say I was probably too sleepy to notice what he said when I quoted him.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

General Zod wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:You mean what Angelus mentioned right there in the post you quoted?

I'm going to just say I was probably too sleepy to notice what he said when I quoted him.
The actual words were: "They [humans] are unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled. To challenge them, is to court death".
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Q99 wrote:Sidenote, there's only one major unbreakable artifact in comics I know of that really have never been broken: Wonder Woman's bracers. Her lasso has been, but never the aegis bracers.

Guess again... Grail broke them (at least part of them) with beams from her eyes on 2015's Darkseid War. Justice League #41. Here's the scene:

+https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/sc ... -image.jpg
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Bedlam wrote:...
Loki has a shot but for all we know that's all of his screen time and again its more or less a cameo.
There's the shot of Loki flipping his daggers, I'm guessing from the background of that scene it's during the defence of Asgard from Hela.

ALSO in the arena shots right after Thor recognises his old work colleague and the audience is WTF why is he happy?!? There's a cut to the Grandmaster with Loki glancing sideways suddenly looking concerned.

My guess based on the hints Feige and Hiddleston have given is that Loki has arranged for Hulk to be in this contest as revenge for his beat up in The Avengers which probably seemed a fun idea right up until Thor appears to be the opposition.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The_Saint wrote:
Bedlam wrote:...
Loki has a shot but for all we know that's all of his screen time and again its more or less a cameo.
There's the shot of Loki flipping his daggers, I'm guessing from the background of that scene it's during the defence of Asgard from Hela.

ALSO in the arena shots right after Thor recognises his old work colleague and the audience is WTF why is he happy?!? There's a cut to the Grandmaster with Loki glancing sideways suddenly looking concerned.

My guess based on the hints Feige and Hiddleston have given is that Loki has arranged for Hulk to be in this contest as revenge for his beat up in The Avengers which probably seemed a fun idea right up until Thor appears to be the opposition.
Loki's thinking probably went along the lines of "Let's you and him fight". Thor and Hulk's fight in The Avengers was a draw, and in that case Thor had Mjolnir to hand, which he doesn't have this time around.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The first two Thor movies were far from my favorite Marvel movies but damn this trailer has got me pumped!
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue80QwXMRHg[/youtube]

Well looks like Skurge gets a little more than a cameo and they seem to be bringing up the rest of the Ragnarok mythology, looked like there was the Fenris Wolf in there and that was probably Surtur at the end.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I continue to be hyped for this ^^ Definite 'Thor/Hulk buddy movie, with a side of Sif and Loki' vibe.
ANGELUS wrote: 2017-04-21 04:10pm
Q99 wrote:Sidenote, there's only one major unbreakable artifact in comics I know of that really have never been broken: Wonder Woman's bracers. Her lasso has been, but never the aegis bracers.
Guess again... Grail broke them (at least part of them) with beams from her eyes on 2015's Darkseid War. Justice League #41. Here's the scene:

Ah yea. Though with the note the nu52 bracers are *not* the Aegis like the pre-reboot ones were. So they're more fragile and were damaged more than once, being more standard-amazonian bracers.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Just got GotG 2 and the expanded trailer said it was being released in October. Digging a little deeper it looks like it's arriving here in the UK towards the end of the month, and in the USA 10 days later. Strangely, some sources claim it's being released on the 24th, others the 27th. Certainly the opening night being a Friday would make more sense than midweek.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It was going to be the 27th, they moved it forward to the 24th.