Orcish fantasy world invades modern Japan

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Orcish fantasy world invades modern Japan

Post by Lord Revan »

Simon_Jester wrote:Yeah. As noted, they're a crude attempt to handwave the question "how can homicidal savages be a credible threat to people with technology, when in real life no amount of warrior spirit lets a screaming horde overpower a bunch of guys with modern rifles, let alone tanks and airplanes?"

So they basically exist to be enslaved by other, more vicious beings. Despite being so ludicrously skilled that they should easily be able to defeat any military threat to themselves or just end any being that bothers them by (ab)using the same powers they use to magically construct large objects. And being so bizarrely incapable of protecting themselves that it's hard to imagine them ever surviving on their own long enough to build a civilization, or long enough to have all this amazing craftsmanship.

It's one thing to picture enslaved dwarves who just churn out masses of battleaxes and suits of armor. We can imagine such items being made by slaves who work for warrior-aristocrats, because that's pretty much how it worked in real life societies.

It's another thing to attribute to those same dwarves the ability to replicate tanks or fighter jets. Because no civilization has ever had heavy weaponry mass-produced by slaves on a reliable basis.
exactly while it's quite common to depict dwarves as being so good at crafting that their works are near (if not outright) magical, the "dwarves" here are a blatant attempt to block certain paths the author deems undesireble they're pretty much a text-book example as to how not to use "deus ex machina" if you want to hold reader's intrest (that's also why I suspect that if someone brings up the possibility of turning the dwarves against their masters, that's gonna be quickly blocked).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

The Dwarves seem like they'd have been better received as elves, specifically enslaved kin of Santa's worker-elves. They build presents for all the people of the earth from some tiny alcove in the North Pole. And are also generally described as being small of stature, thus likely weaker than any adult human despite being vastly more productive.

Also: I'd suggest that the key problem with capturing blueprints is not necessarily one of language or location or format: It's that the blueprint will always be incomplete. All but the simplest blueprints I've ever drawn or seen require the reader to have access to some manufactured product that somewhere else requires a separate blueprint. In a readily available example: Even the most comprehensive plan for a garden shed does not provide the plans to manufacture the screws and nails used or the specific mixes of ingredients in the concrete, paint, adhesives, and roofing. It just says "Buy X quantity of Y screw". Or more likely: "Use X screw type here" with no explanation of what that even means.

For something as complex as an F-14, I'd expect that the dwarves could build a very nice scale model off just the plan barring magic. It'd lack any function whatsoever - they'd have no plan for rivets or screws or specific metallurgy or transistors or batteries or actuators or etc. etc. etc. Those things are parts called out by the plan but not likely designed within it.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:Dwarves have always been depicted as exceptional engineers and smiths, but hardly ever magically adept. I don't know if Icelandic legends consider them fae, but most contemporary fantasy, from Tollkien forward, doesn't. OTOH, I'm not up on fantasy, so, I don't really know.
Well, the basic problem isn't the idea "little magic men who are insanely good at making stuff," or "I call them dwarves rather than Santa elves." It's that the magic men are so blatantly tailored to be the orcs' slaves, and that the orcs have to be given such slaves in order to explain how they ca be so primitive and violent, and yet have any technology higher than an axe.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Me2005 wrote: For something as complex as an F-14, I'd expect that the dwarves could build a very nice scale model off just the plan barring magic. It'd lack any function whatsoever - they'd have no plan for rivets or screws or specific metallurgy or transistors or batteries or actuators or etc. etc. etc. Those things are parts called out by the plan but not likely designed within it.
Not to mention that the F-14 blueprints would only be available at Northrop-Grumann's corporate HQ and at the plant(s)which actually manufactured the Tomcat. Which means, nowhere in Japan, as the United States never sold the Tomcat to the Japanese Self-Defense Forces nor did Northrop-Grumann give them a license to manufacture it.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Simon_Jester wrote:and that the orcs have to be given such slaves in order to explain how they ca be so primitive and violent, and yet have any technology higher than an axe.
Which starts us on questions that I doubt Archinist wants us to ask. For example:
- Did some unnamed faction create the Dwarves ?
Everything about them sounds too good to be true for something that naturally evolved.

- Were they given to the Orcs as a trap ?
The Orcs have taken steam powered devices to ridiculous levels while missing a lot of technological development that humans have gone through. Imagine a high tech faction who didn't like the Orcs, but isn't able/willing to commit the forces needed to wipe them out directly. Said faction then gives Dwarves to the Orcs. The Orcs see this as a benefit because it means more warriors and less "weak" Orcs doing things to support the warriors. The Orcs see the Dwarves producing a lot of weapons, and improving them in areas where the Orcs predict improvement. What the Orcs don't see is that the Dwarves are limiting their technological progress to only what the Orcs can predict.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Archinist wrote:
Well, the orcs can just pick up some paper blueprints. Even if they only pick up detailed civilian books, the dwarves could still figure it out fairly quickly. The blueprints for the F-14 would also tell you where the electricity is provided, so the dwarves can just figure it out.
1) Do you know where paper blueprints for a fighter jet are kept? Hint: Not very many places.

2) They still can't read the language. And even with a magic translator, the terminology still won't make any sense to them as they are a bronze age society. If you translated an engineering book into Greek and then handed it to Alexander the Great, there isn't a single person in his empire who would have any idea what it was talking about.

3) ... the hell are you talking about, electricity? They wouldn't even know what electricity is, much less how a fighter jet produces it. And blueprints would specify things like "this model battery goes here", but they wouldn't tell you how to MAKE a battery, or even what voltage is necessary.

4) These are bronze age people. An F-14, which is obsolete technology for us, consists of steel alloys they don't have the capability of producing, titanium (hint: it's still difficult for US, with modern tech, to work with titanium for a variety of reasons), composite materials, and aluminum. Aluminum is extremely cheap and common today, but prior to the late 19th century it was extremely rare and expensive because the process for getting it from an ore to a metal was difficult. If the king of France liked you, you were served with an aluminum plate at the royal feasts; otherwise you had to make do with ordinary gold. Just because they somehow know that it's made of aluminum doesn't tell them how to MAKE aluminum. As for the steels involved, if you see something that specifies that 4160 steel is to be used, do you have any idea what they're talking about? Do you now what 4160 steel is, what properties it has, how it's made, what is alloyed into it (nickel, vanadium, tungsten, carbon, you have no idea) and in what proportions, whether it can be cast or has to be forged, or WHY that particular steel was chosen? No, and a piece of paper saying "this piece needs to be made of 1130 steel, and this one needs to be 4160 steel" doesn't tell you jack shit other than it's some type of steel.

And a bronze age society wouldn't have the experience or the infrastructure to produce steel, aluminum, titanium, etc. At best they could produce some shitty pig iron, if they knew where iron ore deposits were, mined them in mass quantities, and developed the technology to smelt and refine it. But then, you have no idea what the difference between producing steel and producing bronze is, do you? You have a child's simplistic idea of "metal is metal" and you just heat it up, melt it, and pour it into a mold to produce what you want.
The orcs could also perhaps find an old military airplane graveyard and steal some of the planes, and let the dwarves look at them.
And this tells them nothing. They still don't know how to produce the metals used, and they sure as hell have no idea how the onboard computer works. They don't even have the tools to SEE all the components in the computer, they're so tiny. They don't even know what fuel the planes use, how to refine it, or where to find the raw petroleum used to make it. And no, a blueprint that specifies that the engine can run on either JP-4 or JP-8, with some adjustments, won't tell them jack shit about what either fuel is.
Also, the orcs use a language almost exactly the same as English for some reason.
Which doesn't help them since they don't even have words for things such as "circuit", "microchip", "hydraulic", "vacuum", etc. and many words such as "engine" mean something entirely different.
The dwarves don't know much about metallurgy because the orcs haven't really told them about other resources, and so the dwarves aren't making anything with other metals.
Then they have absolutely no understanding of how to make the simplest, most basic material that a modern jet aircraft is made of. Nor, even if they magically understood what each metal was composed of, would they know the process to making it, how to machine it, or have the tools and infrastructure to build the tools and infrastructure needed to make it in the first place. You have an extremely simplistic understanding of how technology works and have no idea how complicated and involved a process metallurgy is. A blacksmith has as much chance of building an F-14 as a 5th grader who launches Estes rockets for a hobby does of sending a man to the moon.
If the dwarves suddenly needed other metals then the orcs would probably provide them.
From where? How? If the dwarves are the orcs primary source of industry, then they won't have the tools or knowledge to work with new metals even if they were provided to them. You can cast a bronze sword, but if you cast an iron sword it'll shatter the first time you hit something with it. Do you even know why?

And this doesn't even get into the other materials required to make an F-14: composite materials such as carbon fiber, rubber hoses, gaskets, and o-rings, ceramics, plastics, glass and polycarbonates...
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Dumber Than Parrots wrote:W

Yes it does! The dwarfs are very intelligent and instantly know what material is what and which part goes where after a few minutes of looking at a blueprint.
Yes, a blueprint tells you what part goes where. That's what it's designed to do. It doesn't tell you how to make those parts or what those parts themselves are made of! The blueprint for an F-14 doesn't tell you how to assemble the computer used to operate it; that's a pre-made component assembled with a totally different set of blueprints that wouldn't even be located with the F-14 blueprints because it's made in a different factory in a completely different part of the country and shipped to the F-14 factory. Ditto for the radar, ejector seat, power plant, oxygen generator, cockpit dials, HUD, cockpit canopy, and more.
In fact, they could make the Starship Enterprise in about a day or two given the correct raw or refined materials, even without any tools!
..... we've devolved into utter absurdity. These aren't dwarves, they're magic genies. Explain to me how you can build an antimatter reactor, in a day or two, with no materials, infrastructure, or tools.
When the orcs realise the humans have better tech, they could decide to steal some tech for the dwarves.
No, they won't, because they'll be too busy exploding, catching fire, or replacing their internal organs with bullets. Their entire revelation that humans possess better tech will consist of dying en mass.
Let's say after stealing a lot of cars and whatnot they finally steal the blueprints for a F-14 on paper, or a old F-14 rotting in a boneyard.
A car may tell you the basic principles involved in some materials and components, but a car is not analogous to a fighter jet.
The dwarves will just look at the scrapped plane and since they have seen other metals before, they just haven't found a use for them yet,
So you're telling me they've developed metals that are harder, stronger, lighter, and more durable than bronze, and they haven't made armor or weapons out of them at any point in the past? And you're contradicting yourself, you just said they don't know much about metallurgy and haven't had metals more advanced than bronze introduced to them.
they could instantly tell which metal goes where, how to make each material, etc etc.
I don't think you know what a blueprint is or does.

Does anything in there tell you what materials it's composed of or how to make those materials?
The electricity and computers might confuse them for a bit but eventually they'd realise they're just fancier turbines and very small machines.
.... you really have no understanding of electronics or computers, do you. If you open up the tower next to your monitor, there is not a tiny monk squatting inside with an abacus, nor a hamster in a wheel. They don't even possess the tools to examine a computer to see how it's made, much less the tools to build one.

No no no. No radio waves or sonar waves can pass through the portal. This means the humans would have to physically transport missiles over to the other side of the portal and build a massive silo there to hold the missiles.
That's not how missiles work. Fire a heat-seeking or self-guided missile through the portal and it would work just fine. So the overwhelming majority of anti-tank missiles, at the very least, would work just fine being blind-fired through the portal. There's even artillery and mortar shells that can be fired through it, detect a target, and hit it. Some of these are heat-seeking, some of these have their own tiny radar built in, some compare a picture of the target to what it sees, there are multiple different ways of getting a missile launched through the portal from our side to hit and destroy things on their side. We don't need to be using missiles guided by radar, laser, tv, or wire, particularly if the idea is to hit things on the other side of a portal.

In fact, we don't need guided munitions at all. Regular mortars, howitzers, and rockets will do just fine. Do you know why they call the M270 MLRS the "grid square remover"? Because it fires a dozen rockets, traveling faster than the speed of sound, that split into submunitions and plaster an entire square kilometer with explosives and shrapnel that can wipe out infantry and most armored vehicles before anyone lacking radar even knows they're under attack, and they can do it from miles away.

How am I back tracking? If you read the OP, it states two times that the orcs are bullet resistant and require at least 5 NATIO 5.56 standard rounds to put down in full armor.
So they're about as resilient as a normal human being wearing light body armor then? Hardly a challenge for a military with M4 carbines, belt-fed machine guns, heavy machine guns, cannons, 40mm grenade launchers, etc.
and no sorry naval ships would not have access to the portal, as the portal is a ground installation.
It's Japan. The entire nation is made of islands. A ship may not be able to pass through the portal, but it can still fire artillery shells and missiles through it just fine.

The portal also appears in Tokyo, something I didn't mention in the OP because I forgot to mention. But I was still going to put that there. Also, it's not a rip off GATE, I just love the theme of ancient orcs/demons invading modern earth with very good confidence and losing terribly. This scenario is of course balanced out for the orcs a little, though.

It's not balanced in the least. Even with your bullshit magical dwarfs who automatically understand all technology and everything needed to build it just looking at pictures, the orcs still get massacred before they even realize what they're up against.

Real life is not a game of Civilization/Age of Empires where pikemen stand any sort of chance against riflemen, or mounted cavalry and bowmen can do anything at all to an armored column besides die without inflicting a single casualty.
Your ad here.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Me2005 wrote: For something as complex as an F-14, I'd expect that the dwarves could build a very nice scale model off just the plan barring magic. It'd lack any function whatsoever - they'd have no plan for rivets or screws or specific metallurgy or transistors or batteries or actuators or etc. etc. etc. Those things are parts called out by the plan but not likely designed within it.
Not to mention that the F-14 blueprints would only be available at Northrop-Grumann's corporate HQ and at the plant(s)which actually manufactured the Tomcat. Which means, nowhere in Japan, as the United States never sold the Tomcat to the Japanese Self-Defense Forces nor did Northrop-Grumann give them a license to manufacture it.

Actually, if you want to be even more specific, blueprints for the F-14 no longer exist as all technical data was destroyed when the F-14 was retired, in order to prevent the Iranians (the only other operator of the F-14) from producing their own or performing more than basic maintenance on them.

Which is a shame, really; I think we backed the wrong horse on developing the Super Hornet instead of a Super Tomcat: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/top-gu ... 1575814142

But that's neither here nor there.
Your ad here.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Swindle1984 wrote:Actually, if you want to be even more specific, blueprints for the F-14 no longer exist as all technical data was destroyed when the F-14 was retired, in order to prevent the Iranians (the only other operator of the F-14) from producing their own or performing more than basic maintenance on them.
I should've realized they'd destroyed the blueprints, but didn't. Thanks, Swindle.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

bilateralrope wrote:Which makes me think they were constructed to be servants by a third race* and the Orks acquired them.

*Restrictions on the thought process of an artificial mind to prevent it rebelling are nothing new in fiction. For example, Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics".
So, not dwarves in the generic fantasy sense, but golems/constructs possibly made in the shape of dwarves, possibly made by more techno/mageo-savvy dwarves. I can buy that for twenty-five cents.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Simon_Jester wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:Dwarves have always been depicted as exceptional engineers and smiths, but hardly ever magically adept. I don't know if Icelandic legends consider them fae, but most contemporary fantasy, from Tollkien forward, doesn't. OTOH, I'm not up on fantasy, so, I don't really know.
Well, the basic problem isn't the idea "little magic men who are insanely good at making stuff," or "I call them dwarves rather than Santa elves." It's that the magic men are so blatantly tailored to be the orcs' slaves, and that the orcs have to be given such slaves in order to explain how they ca be so primitive and violent, and yet have any technology higher than an axe.
That is why called them a text-book example of using "deus ex machina" wrongly, since it's 100% clear that they're there to act as handwave for giving the orcs the ability to ignore logistics and R&D via author's fiat (and I don't mean the car either).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Simon_Jester wrote:You know what might be a lot of fun?

What if Archinist started out with just a question, like "I want to imagine a scenario where credibly threatening fantasy monsters attack Japan and present real danger, what would they have to look like?"

And he could ask questions, and even if some of them were kind of silly like "what if someone made a giant rolling battle-fortress the size of a mountain," if he'd stop doubling down on "this stupid plan would actually be a really smart plan" and things like that, it'd be a lot more fun to participate in.
Yep, that and the question of how society would react to the introduction of something like Archinist's dwarfs to society are both RARs that would be fun. Instead, we got this.

Anyway, as one of those who had previously said he was improving, I admit I was completely wrong. The dwarfs in the scenario basically amount to such an absurdity that they could be only be more overpowered if they were basically Q and could make anything the orcs wanted appear instantly. Even his attempts to make them less silly still leave them as magical gods of the forge.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

To me his main problem seems to be that he's unable to look at his own ideas critically, so he posts the first thing that pops into his mind without thinking it thru.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

I'd say it's worse than that. He seems inclined to think of the most absurd things as realistic and be incapable of understanding basic logic. In fact, he reacts to explanations of basic logic as though the other person was giving an explanation about quantum physics. In latin.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Swindle1984 wrote:Actually, if you want to be even more specific, blueprints for the F-14 no longer exist as all technical data was destroyed when the F-14 was retired, in order to prevent the Iranians (the only other operator of the F-14) from producing their own or performing more than basic maintenance on them.
I should've realized they'd destroyed the blueprints, but didn't. Thanks, Swindle.

*shrug*

Unless you paid attention when it was in the news a decade ago, or happen to be familiar with the F-14 and its history, it's probably not common knowledge that they destroyed the blueprints and the machinery used to make the F-14. They even went so far as to scrap them all in 2009, just to prevent the remote possibility of someone stealing airframes or other components and smuggling them to Iran; besides the 24 in Iran (a third of which are believed to be non-operational due to lack of space parts), the only F-14's still in existence are stripped air frames in various museums scattered around the US. No engines, no radar, no avionics, nothing. It's one of the only times we've retired something and gone to the effort of completely destroying it instead of letting it rust away in a desert parking lot or selling it off.

Hell, it's probably not common knowledge that they lost the tooling to make many components for the A-10 and had to redo them from scratch when they decided to upgrade the A-10 instead of retire it.

Lord Revan wrote:To me his main problem seems to be that he's unable to look at his own ideas critically, so he posts the first thing that pops into his mind without thinking it thru.
Such as when he contradicted himself on the dwarves having little knowledge of metallurgy and no familiarity with metals other than bronze, but in the same post he says they have more advanced metals but just never found a use for them (which is patently absurd)?

I'm convinced he's a tween who's found his first adult forum that isn't a shitfest like 4chan and actually tolerates his shenanigans without banning him and is running with it. On the one hand, I really wish he'd stop with the stupid what-ifs that rely on so much handwaving that none of it makes sense; on the other hand, I also don't want to stifle the curiosity and imagination of someone who could turn out to be very interesting when he matures.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

But his writing style, argument style, handwaving, pulling things out of his ass to justify his silly scenarios, and complete and utter lack of knowledge about how the real world operates has convinced me he's between the ages of 12 and 14. I think instead of insulting him, ignoring him, or what have you, we should try to gently nudge him in the right direction.
Your ad here.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Bernkastel wrote:I'd say it's worse than that. He seems inclined to think of the most absurd things as realistic and be incapable of understanding basic logic. In fact, he reacts to explanations of basic logic as though the other person was giving an explanation about quantum physics. In latin.

...... dammit, now I want a quantum physics textbook in Latin.
Your ad here.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Accidentally hit quote instead of edit.
Your ad here.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Swindle1984 wrote:But his writing style, argument style, handwaving, pulling things out of his ass to justify his silly scenarios, and complete and utter lack of knowledge about how the real world operates has convinced me he's between the ages of 12 and 14. I think instead of insulting him, ignoring him, or what have you, we should try to gently nudge him in the right direction.
Except there is no gently nudging a teenager(they'll just dismiss you as "not getting" them or somesuch). You have to hit them over the head with anything, if you hope to make it stick. Repeatedly.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Archinist, do you still think that the Dwarves will be able to get hold of F-14 blueprints or will you concede that point ?

I will remind you of this post I made:
bilateralrope wrote:
Archinist wrote:
Well, the orcs can just pick up some paper blueprints. Even if they only pick up detailed civilian books, the dwarves could still figure it out fairly quickly. The blueprints for the F-14 would also tell you where the electricity is provided, so the dwarves can just figure it out.
Please provide proof that plans for the F-14 exist as paper blueprints.
Then prove that the paper blueprints exist in Japan. Because the orcs have no navy, nor any way to get any ships produced on the Orc side into Earth oceans. So they are stuck in Japan.
The orcs could also perhaps find an old military airplane graveyard and steal some of the planes, and let the dwarves look at them. Also, the orcs use a language almost exactly the same as English for some reason. The dwarves don't know much about metallurgy because the orcs haven't really told them about other resources, and so the dwarves aren't making anything with other metals. If the dwarves suddenly needed other metals then the orcs would probably provide them.
Please point to a specific graveyard they could capture in Japan.

Please prove that the F-14 paper blueprints located in Japan are written in English.
I request that you do one of the following:
- Provide proof of the 4 things I asked you to prove.
- Make a post admitting that the Dwarves will not be able to get hold of F-14 blueprints in the scenario that you described. All I'm asking for is a single sentence where you admit that they can't get hold of the blueprints. You don't need to say why they can't get them, only admit that they can't.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Swindle1984 wrote:But his writing style, argument style, handwaving, pulling things out of his ass to justify his silly scenarios, and complete and utter lack of knowledge about how the real world operates has convinced me he's between the ages of 12 and 14. I think instead of insulting him, ignoring him, or what have you, we should try to gently nudge him in the right direction.
For me, the problem is that trying to pound some degree of analytical thinking and logic into the minds of a bunch of strutting, swaggering kids who think they know it all and don't grasp why they need to know how to think... That's basically the core of my job description.

On the one hand, that means I'm relatively good at it when I try.

On the other hand, that's what I do for work. It is not what I do to relax. And Archinist is obtuse enough, and unresponsive enough, that trying to enlighten the kid can be a real chore.

If he'd actually say "you're right, I realize I keep making the same mistake over and over" or something, it would be less of a pain in the ass. But as it is, it's starting to make SDN feel like a busman's holiday for me.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Simon_Jester wrote:
For me, the problem is that trying to pound some degree of analytical thinking and logic into the minds of a bunch of strutting, swaggering kids who think they know it all and don't grasp why they need to know how to think... That's basically the core of my job description.

On the other hand, that's what I do for work. It is not what I do to relax. And Archinist is obtuse enough, and unresponsive enough, that trying to enlighten the kid can be a real chore.

If he'd actually say "you're right, I realize I keep making the same mistake over and over" or something, it would be less of a pain in the ass. But as it is, it's starting to make SDN feel like a busman's holiday for me.

Valid points. I have some teaching experience myself, though probably not to the degree you do.

"Gently nudge", in this case, can often consist of "hit with a sledgehammer until the square peg goes into that damn round hole and the concept starts rattling around inside that cavernous skull". In this case, I'm suggesting we patiently point out why all of his shit is stupid, but without being outright hostile about it.

I'd be very curious to see him state his age. Assuming he's honest about it and doesn't claim to be older; even if he convinced us he was an adult, we'd think he was developmentally retarded or trolling, rather than just ignorant like a tween would be. Ignorance can be corrected; stupidity cannot.
Your ad here.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Simon_Jester wrote:For me, the problem is that trying to pound some degree of analytical thinking and logic into the minds of a bunch of strutting, swaggering kids who think they know it all and don't grasp why they need to know how to think... That's basically the core of my job description.

I do agree with this. But plenty of us did that with his last thread. A few of us have been doing that before that thread. This thread and his efforts at responding to criticism in this thread seem to indicate that he has in fact absorbed nothing from what has been said to him.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

To expand on this, since I missed my chance to edit my post, the problem seems to be that he still does not get why we are so critical. As far as he is concerned, we are vastly overthinking everything. He'd be happy to operate at the level of "well, this character has infinity+1 attack points, so they win". As has been pointed out before, his scenarios are written on the basis of not thinking about it and with the expectation that we'll just roll with the stupidity. In my opinion, he still does not get why we aren't doing so.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Honestly, I don't even mind the stupidity of the scenarios themselves so much as the way he responds to any criticisms or attempts by us to salvage interesting scenarios out of them. Instead of just saying, "Oh, yeah, you're right, I didn't think that far ahead" or "Guess I don't understand how F-14s work", he just doubles and triples down until the scenario has become so convoluted and bizarre that it's impossible to talk about at all. Then, of course, he only selectively replies to people for a couple of pages before disappearing to start another thread.

Archinist: before posting another scenario, could you actually respond to what people have said here? Or in your last thread? It's highly irritating to have you constantly ignore us.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Yes, in my opinion, his problem is that he's disinclined to think about what he says to think and he expects us not to think as well. What he wants when he tries to fix his scenarios is to get us to stop pointing out the flaws and just go along with his absurd scenario and the non-thinking path he wants to follow. In other words, we're meant to shut up with the logic and go "hur, hur, hur, the pilot in the scenario is russian and drunk. How hilarious! Now, what if I do around setting things on fire with a flamethrower created via a lighter and flatulence? Yay!"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Just think how many garages and portable generators there must be in Japan, those orcs are doomed no matter what the response, they'll be dropping in droves from Carbon Monoxide poisoning...