The Avengers (NO SPOILERS!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

The Avengers (NO SPOILERS!)

Post by open_sketchbook »

So, I went to the midnight showing, but immediately after Thor hit Iron Man with his hammer, the power went out.

I liked the first half though!
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Re: The Avengers

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

open_sketchbook wrote:So, I went to the midnight showing, but immediately after Thor hit Iron Man with his hammer, the power went out.

That might've been part of the movie ;) Did you get refund vouchers?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Can we have a thread without spoilers so we can read reviews?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

That might as well be this one, since the other one is chock-full of spoilers.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Stofsk wrote:That might as well be this one, since the other one is chock-full of spoilers.
Maybe a thread name change might be a good idea?, Just to make sure no one post spoilers?.

As far as reviews are concerned...
Spoiler
"A slow start, a single star performance surrounded by indifferent acting and an onslaught of computer effects that range from seen-it-all-in-"Transformers" to a whole sky full of spectacular stuff in the midtown Manhattan climax." -- Joe Morgenstern, rotten tomatoes.
WTF did this guy even see the same movie?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

open_sketchbook wrote:So, I went to the midnight showing, but immediately after Thor hit Iron Man with his hammer, the power went out.

Wow. Hit him so hard, the fourth wall broke and took the power with it...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Had that happen to me with WALL-E, actually. Captain ordered Otto to show him the secret message...and the power went out. Somebody's comment "Wow, I guess it was autopilot eyes only."

Thinking of going to see it tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: The Avengers (NO SPOILERS!)

Post by LadyTevar »

If you want a Review, I'll put it simply:
This movie lives up to every inch of the hype, and for once the funny scenes were NOT revealed in the trailers. The script was sharp, the delivery dead-on, and the action and humor were both rockin' the house.

It gets the TAHALSHIA SEAL OF COOL
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

I was once watching a screening of Star Wars at my university's theater, and it cut out right in the trash compactor scene. As the screen went black, we heard Han's extremely appropriate line, "I have a bad feeling about this."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Got back from it. It's about as great as this movie could get I think. Slick, very well presented and tries very hard to give all the team something to do and justify them. I love Bum Reviews/Doug Walker's description of it as 'a micheal bay movie if micheal bay was not an idiot neanderthal' its an amazing spectacle but I think it really is a style over substance movie.

Bad guy tries to take over the world, superheroes team up to stop him. Cue explosions. It's a simple concept well executed but no real depth beyond that.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Actually, CW, i thought it had a lot of depth in a couple scenes, specifically the first Thor-Loki scene on the cliffside. Thor was both happy to see Loki alive, and hurt by Loki's actions, and the scene continued the near-Shakespearan drama between them.

The next scene I thought worked best was Stark-Banner, working together in the computer room. It was a very serious conversation for Stark and I think Banner needed to hear it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well depends what you mean by depth. Yes, the characters were well-realised and certain scenes allowed them to show their depth but as a film as a whole its not really about the exploration of a theme beyond punching things and making quips is fun.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's a spectacle, its a popcorn movie but don't expect anything too serious is what I am saying.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Actually, it has a lot of depth as a movie is you allow it to. It's the new Sci-Fi... the relationship between man and technology, except it is the relationship between man and superpowers. It is still fantastical, and fiction, but it allows a tired genre to be re-energized by exploring how we would view and deal with these things.

It also does exactly what Stan Lee set out to do in the 60's and present flawed heroes that rise above themselves to become more than they were in stark contrast to what DC did and still tends to do.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Havok wrote:Actually, it has a lot of depth as a movie is you allow it to. It's the new Sci-Fi... the relationship between man and technology, except it is the relationship between man and superpowers. It is still fantastical, and fiction, but it allows a tired genre to be re-energized by exploring how we would view and deal with these things.

It also does exactly what Stan Lee set out to do in the 60's and present flawed heroes that rise above themselves to become more than they were in stark contrast to what DC did and still tends to do.
(Emphasis mine)
I see what you did there...

But, as usual, I agree with you completely, Hav. I like that this movie felt more like a Marvel comic than anything Marvel is actually publishing these days. Not to mention that the movie is fun as hell.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Action Avenue
Redshirt

Post by Action Avenue »

That would make me furious! One time my wife and I, plus a couple of friends, went to see Anger Management when it was in theaters. There was a tornado watch going on with people constantly whispering and concerned over the weather. Cell phone texting all around us. The movie was not cancelled, but in hindsight, perhaps it should have been as it was kind of hard to concentrate on the movie anyway. Just made it to our car after the movie and a downpour of rain came upon us. Perhaps, God was telling us that particular Sandler movie was not in line with his plan. :P Anyway, going to see The Avengers tomorrow with my wife. Here's to no power fluctuations that would cause us to miss what is suppose to be a great movie!
Check out my zombie blog http://freakindeadjed.blogspot.com
View my artwork at my studio store at http://zazzle.com/actionave
Visit my deviant art page at http://actionave.deviantart.com
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Joss Whedon did an awesome job writing this movie. He clearly understood the characters and made a point of giving everyone a chance at real character development.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."