Where did the idea of 'Elves' come from?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Where did the idea of 'Elves' come from?

Post by edaw1982 »

I get that 'Elves' of the pointy-earred forest dwelling badass archery cliche comes from (like damned near everything else in Fantasy) from Tolkien and the rest of the Inklings. But dwarves for example are based off Norse legends.
Are Elves supposed to be based of Fae/Unseelie of the Gaelic myths, or are they based predominantly on some other myth?
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Re: Where did the idea of 'Elves' come from?

Post by gigabytelord »

edaw1982 wrote:I get that 'Elves' of the pointy-earred forest dwelling badass archery cliche comes from (like damned near everything else in Fantasy) from Tolkien and the rest of the Inklings. But dwarves for example are based off Norse legends.
Are Elves supposed to be based of Fae/Unseelie of the Gaelic myths, or are they based predominantly on some other myth?
I always believed that they originated from ancient Germanic or Norse folklore, not sure how true that is though.

I did some quick searching and found this link which kind of backs me up on that, however I'm not sure of it's validity.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Where-Do-Elve ... &id=620928
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

^
I would say 'Well I'll be damned', but I wouldn't want to tempt fate.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is said specifically in an introduction to the LotR that he took them from that. Notice how he also does not use the word "elf" or "elves" but rather the middle-German form Elb.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Sociologically, there's a theory that Elves were actually gays or somewhat androgynous men. I don't consider it to have much merit, but it's certainly a thought (and Orlando Bloom as Legolas makes an odd degree of sense under the theory, being as attractive as he is.)
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

The Germans had lios-alfar, light elves, nature spirits associated with fertility and the sun. Their best modern equivalent would be little winged fairies with nature powers. The dwarves of course were the svart-alfar, chthonic spirits associated with darkness and metallurgy.

Tolkien's elves have more in common with Gaelic Tuatha dé Danann, an ancient and wise race of immortals who once ruled the world and performed great deeds of heroism and magic, but are now doomed to fading and giving way to man.

Thanas, that I assume is the German translation. Tolkien did use the modern English words. Did Tolkien himself write the translation or at least translate certain key terms? The latter does seem plausible.

Loomer, that's hogwash. People born with certain deformaties might have been called changelings or thought to be cursed by spirits. There is no connection in extant records of pre-Christian folklore between sodomy or transexuality and alfar or Sidhe folk.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Been a long time since I read it, but I think it was in one of Alaric Hall's works.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elves come (mostly) from northern European legends of "magic people who live in the forests." The details may have been taken from a lot of different places: the Celtic/Gaelic culture of Ireland, the Germanic and Norse traditions, and so on. Good creative fiction is like that; anything really new has to take inspiration from many places. Tolkien himself might have said he was trying to take all those disparate stories of magic people in the forests, and merge them back together in an attempt to "reconstruct" the archetypal ur-elf.

Also, I know Tolkein pulled some bits from other sources, like his own version of Catholic theology in which much of the reason for elven 'magic' is that they have grace: divine blessings that give them powers of magic and creation that mortals (even master craftsmen like the dwarves) do not possess.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Another modern source is Poul Anderson, author of The Broken Sword and Three Hearts and Three Lions. The elf depicted in the typical RPG or video game is heavily influenced by Anderson's version.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

hey Celts had total bastards....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin