A Jedi Master in Mortal Kombat

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

A Jedi Master in Mortal Kombat

Post by Demiurgas »

Let's say that a Jedi Master is accidentally sent by Palpatine to EarthRealm and he or she joins the Good guys of Mortal Kombat. How important would they be to the Team? I've seen Night Wolf take on Sindel after she destroys the entire team effortlessly, surely a Jedi Master with supernatural abilities of the Force at their disposal, and light saber use would be able to save the entire team and take on Sindel by themselves. (Liu Kang, and Raiden, who weren't at the scene of the massacre, couldn't prevent it, due to not being there, of course.)
Havok
Miscreant

Re: A Jedi Master in Mortal Kombat

Post by Havok »

Someone is going to come in yelling PRECOG soon, but which Jedi Master? Yoda? Mace? Or Ki-Adi? Plo Koon? Makes a difference.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Let's say, uh, Master Wannabe, just a name I made up. Let's say he's mid-range out of all Jedi Masters.Not as good as Yoda, say, but is better than the low tier Jedi Masters.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

What the fuck kind of response is that? Debates like these aren't like in an RPG where you can just name the Challenge Rating of a Generic Jedi Master and say "how would he/she fare in the arenas of Mortal Kombat?" A nameless Jedi master is an undefined variable because-- get this-- different Jedi Masters have different levels of mastery over the Force. If you have a hard time understanding this, look no farther than Yoda. He has the most mastery over the Force of any Jedi we see onscreen, able to do things no other Jedi is seen doing like dissipating Force lightning with his bare hands. And yet despite that, he's a 900 year old goblin with stubby little legs that force him to use a highly acrobatic lightsaber style. Or consider the difference it makes if the Jedi chosen for this scenario is Lowbacca, Chewie's nephew from the post ROTJ EU. Not only is he a wookie, with all the physical advantages over humans that implies, but he was trained by Luke, with all the differences in doctrine between Luke's Jedi Order and Yoda's Jedi Order.

Again: it makes a difference which Jedi we're talking about here. If you don't clarify, this thread might as well end here.
Last edited by Formless on 2012-03-22 02:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Obi Wan then.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

btw do we even know what MK side is capable of outside of gameplay (which is due to various reason an unrelible source at best).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Sort of. We have some cut scenes to by. I can gather up a bunch of videos for viewing.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Lord Revan wrote:btw do we even know what MK side is capable of outside of gameplay (which is due to various reason an unrelible source at best).
Like Striker's Sub-Machine gun burst taking ~5% of an opponent's life bar? Or Sub-Zero freezing someone doing no actual damage? At least in the Movie it insta-gibbed some poor bastard.

A jedi could do quite well either way. We've seen instances of Telekinesis in the game (which all characters could block), use of weapons, characters highly resistant to damage, among other things.

Jedi Pre-cog can be talked up, but we've seen numerous instances in SW where Jedi (even Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Mace Windu) were caught off-guard by opponents who couldn't morph into their mirror image, teleport, or throw people around with telekinesis.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

TheFeniX wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:btw do we even know what MK side is capable of outside of gameplay (which is due to various reason an unrelible source at best).
Like Striker's Sub-Machine gun burst taking ~5% of an opponent's life bar? Or Sub-Zero freezing someone doing no actual damage? At least in the Movie it insta-gibbed some poor bastard.

A jedi could do quite well either way. We've seen instances of Telekinesis in the game (which all characters could block), use of weapons, characters highly resistant to damage, among other things.

Jedi Pre-cog can be talked up, but we've seen numerous instances in SW where Jedi (even Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Mace Windu) were caught off-guard by opponents who couldn't morph into their mirror image, teleport, or throw people around with telekinesis.
well gameplay will be balanced for the sake of what's "fun" for example strykers guns not being insta kill to characters that are suppose be more or less normal humans, like Stryker himself, Sonya Blade (her ring blast is technological in MK9), Jax (again the groundpound and energy blast attacks are technological).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

How well do any of them stand up to being hit by a being, swinging a lightsaber, with enough speed to block 24 attacks per Second?

(Source: Revenge of the Sith novelization. Obi-wan was blocking Grevious, and grevious was making 6 attacks per lightsaber per second on him).

Answer: Lightsaber can slice throught super dense metals. Human flesh or earth level materials are no match.

Obi-wan becomes the Champion of Mortal Kombat, goes back to Coruscant, and with the additional power, still loses to Palaptine.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Solauren wrote:How well do any of them stand up to being hit by a being, swinging a lightsaber, with enough speed to block 24 attacks per Second?

(Source: Revenge of the Sith novelization. Obi-wan was blocking Grevious, and grevious was making 6 attacks per lightsaber per second on him).

Answer: Lightsaber can slice throught super dense metals. Human flesh or earth level materials are no match.

Obi-wan becomes the Champion of Mortal Kombat, goes back to Coruscant, and with the additional power, still loses to Palaptine.
Eh. Onaga could still be a threat, as could Shinnok, possibly Quan Chi and Shang Tsung, and Shao Kahn.
Onaga's UBER durable. Shinnok can create clones, and stuff, although I'm not sure about the others.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Shang Tsung and Quan Chi are still human. They'll slice up nicely.

Onaga, Shinnok and Shao Kahan are not that durable. They've still been beaten up / incapacitated by mortals. Mortals far slower then a Jedi Master, let alone Obi-wan Kenobi.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Eh. Shang Tsung can steal souls. So can Quan Chi. Onaga really is that durable if you've seen his cut scene. He was being stricken with two blasts of flame and Raiden's lightning bolt at the same time, and survived his suicide blast with a minor daze.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Solauren wrote:Onaga, Shinnok and Shao Kahan are not that durable. They've still been beaten up / incapacitated by mortals. Mortals far slower then a Jedi Master, let alone Obi-wan Kenobi.
We are talking about the same Obi-Wan Kenobi who took a head-butt (and a few other licks) from the decidedly mortal (and slow) Jango Fett and was giving ground constantly to Grievous (who shows no real feats of speed in the movies)? Kenobi's track record in regard to durability and speed is spotty at best. Jedi always seem to be as tough and as fast as the plot demands. Even Yoda couldn't dodge/block the hilariously slow lightning Palpatine threw at him.

Not to say a lightsaber couldn't do the job, but victory isn't assured considering many of the characters in MK can deal damage at range or simply teleport.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Raiden can smash Motaro through a high way which effectively kills him (cut scenes). Shao Kahn survived Liu Kang punching through his chest (again cut scenes). Outworld has some creatures which are strong enough to uplift tanks, so presumably the MK characters are strong enough to fight those.

I suspect MK is like DC comics and to a lesser extent Marvel. The average humans in that fantasy world is just stronger than real world humans.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Maybe to underscore the situation, we should swap in Starkiller then :)

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Solauren wrote:Maybe to underscore the situation, we should swap in Starkiller then :)
Does he get his soul caliber move set?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Demiurgas wrote:Obi Wan then.
What; Obi Wan from RotS? The most talented Soresu practitioner in galactic history, who could deflect Greivious's 30-strikes-per-second barrage from four separate lightsabers at once?

Hardly your "generic" Jedi.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Does it actually look like Grievous was making 24-30 attacks per second in the film? I don't remember it looking like that, unless you count the rate he spins his lightsabers at several revolutions per second, and count each revolution as an "attack." Now people are going to say novelisation said so. But isn't the old visuals trump dialogue / novelisation rule employed? Otherwise novel interpretations like hur hur "the Death Star only has a fusion generator for its power source," as used by rabid trekkies have to be considered seriously if applying the same standards.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

mr friendly guy wrote:Does it actually look like Grievous was making 24-30 attacks per second in the film?
No (mute unless you like Iron Maiden).

The whole scene is pretty inconsistent and Grievous makes a much better showing in the Clone Wars cartoon. Obi-Wan reacts in pain from kicking Grievous (whereas mortals in MK can punch and kick cyborgs with no issues) yet he shrugs off kicks and punches from Grievous (who can dent a starship hull with a punch) with little issue even after being thrown ~20 feet from the impact.

Grievous relies on intimidation (which he tried on Windu who just crushed his chest with the Force), guerrilla tactics, and speed to overwhelm Jedi. In a straight up fight (at least in the movies) he's not all that impressive with the exception of raw strength. He's definitely not all that fast and his lightsaber attacks tend to double-up or be more flash than effect.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

My understanding of the SW Universe is that it was in a "...galaxy far, far away..." wherein an aspect/attribute of that galaxy was the force. Whatever Jedi Master comes through to Earth Relm...which is in an entirely different galaxy...would not be able to use the force.

Unless, the force is "upgraded" to permeate the entire galaxy.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

cadbrowser wrote:My understanding of the SW Universe is that it was in a "...galaxy far, far away..." wherein an aspect/attribute of that galaxy was the force. Whatever Jedi Master comes through to Earth Relm...which is in an entirely different galaxy...would not be able to use the force.

Unless, the force is "upgraded" to permeate the entire galaxy.
it's generally assume that in vs. scenarios both sides powers work as they would work in their native 'verse to avoid unfairness.

after all it wouldn't make sense to use a Jedi master unless they had access to the force as without it they're even about the same as a regular human(or what ever species they are) if not worse.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Ah, ok...well; it wasn't explicitly stated and I don't have a lot of experience with vs. scenarios to know that part. It just seemed like a minor glitch.

Hopefull I don't get browbashed for stating the painfully obvious! :shock:
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

it's one of those things that isn't explicitly stated, since without it, it's just a statement of "x sucks cause it's not y" (maybe not as politely or clearly but essentially that's the case), it's also kind of a strawman as you're not arguing against the full powered 'verse of the francise x but rather a weakened version of it with all the strengths removed.

as for your mistake, we all make them from time to time, heaven knows I have and will do more in the future. What seperates the newbies from idiots is that newbies should learn not to make the same mistake twice, while idiots keep missing the target.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The novelization of Revenge of the sith has several 'additions' over movie.

1 - Kenobi jumping around in the rafters, the entire group of Confederacy Battle droids opening fire on him at once. He dodges ever single blast, deflecting a load of them back at the droids, and then lands calmly in front of Grevious.
2 - Grevious was able to attack 6 times per second with each lightsaber. Kenobi was blocking every shot until Grevious got to that point, and the attacks threated to overwhelm Kenobi. At that point, Kenboi shifted his tactics ever so slightly, and started taking off Grevious's hands.
3 - During the lizard/bike chase, Kenobi actually makes a wise-ass remark at Grevious. He comments that Grevious's bike's rear lights are out, Grevious asks what he's talking about, and then the Dragon-Mount uses it's tail to smash up the bikes rear lights.
4 - During the fist fight in front of Grevious's fighter, when they go hand to hand, Kenobi is able to block all of Grevious's hand to hand attacks, including a few directly at him. Despite Grevious punching hard enough to dent the armor on his own Starfighter.
5 - It's mentioned that Grevious's body armor is the same grade as Starfighter armor, and can withstand up to Starfighter grade weapons. Kenobi blocks a shock from Grevious, BENDS GREVIOUS'S FOREARM, and then opens up the protective case around Grevious's organs. Proceed with the entire 'knocked to the edge, using blaster to kill Grevious', scene.

I'd say when deep in the Force, Kenobi is easily on the same level as anything we've seen in Mortal Kombat.

The only other Jedi/Force users we've seen that surpass him in that regard is Anakin Skywalker, and Galen 'Starkiller' Marek.