You own an electricity generator (RAR!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

You own an electricity generator (RAR!)

Postby Zablorg » 2012-01-14 12:10am

One day Q decides to pop in on you yet again. But this time, he's not looking to uproot your life by placing you in ancient Egypt. Today, he has decided to grant you a great gift.

He presents you a 10 cm, 20 kg, metallic cube. Running down each face of the cube, are 4 glowing lines, each separated by 2 cm. On each face,two are orange, one is pink, and the last is green.

Q explains to you that the cube is an electrical power generator. By dynamically creating an appropriate socket, is able to accept any sort of input and supply electricity to any sort of device. The maximum power output of the generator has been determined by your post count.

0 - 5000 posts:

A kilowatt.

5000 - 20000 posts:

A megawatt.

20000 - 100000 posts:

A gigawatt.

100000+ posts:

A terrawatt.

Q refuses to change the colours of the glowing lines. What do you do?
Jupiter Oak Evolution!

Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Re: You own an electricity generator (RAR!)

Postby Cesario » 2012-01-14 12:35am

Ask if this is even theoretically comprehensible technology or if it's litterally a magic box.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2012-01-14 01:09am

Kind of pointless bothering to list 100,000 posts isn't it?

Anyway a 1 GW power source would be a nice gift provided it won't kill me. I'd lease it to be plugged into a webserver cluster. Even even I charged a mere 1 cent per kilowatt hour I'd make 10,000 dollars an hour which would be a very nice retirement package.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

Dave
Jedi Knight

Postby Dave » 2012-01-14 01:29am

Cesario wrote:Ask if this is even theoretically comprehensible technology or if it's litterally a magic box.

I mean, I guess I have a cheap way to run my electronics, but I'm not sure what else I'm going to do with a spare kilowatt (per what time unit?)

And how am I supposed to move a box 18x denser than lead?

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Postby Zablorg » 2012-01-14 01:36am

I guess you could do like... bicep curls until you are able to lift 20 kilograms.

If you're going to do that I'd recommend you iterate your workout mostly by increasing the reps, not by upping the weight.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Postby Zablorg » 2012-01-14 03:43am

Oh, I missed this:

Dave wrote:I mean, I guess I have a cheap way to run my electronics, but I'm not sure what else I'm going to do with a spare kilowatt (per what time unit?)

That's a good question. There's no wholly accepted standard in the scientific community for what time unit a watt corresponds to. I may have to rethink this scenario.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Postby Darmalus » 2012-01-14 04:01am

I'm pretty sure the power companies are required to buy back any excess electricity you generate. So, I plug it in to the power system and enjoy my small amount of extra income, I doubt a kilowatt will net me much, even if it's being generated 24/7.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Postby Grumman » 2012-01-14 05:10am

Zablorg wrote:Oh, I missed this:
Dave wrote:I mean, I guess I have a cheap way to run my electronics, but I'm not sure what else I'm going to do with a spare kilowatt (per what time unit?)

That's a good question. There's no wholly accepted standard in the scientific community for what time unit a watt corresponds to. I may have to rethink this scenario.

No, there is no time unit required. One kilowatt is equal to one thousand joules of energy per second.

One kilowatt is sufficient to power a single US household, if you average it out. In other words, if you can arrange a buyback system like people do with solar panels, you probably never need to pay an electricity bill ever again.

Some useful figures:

1,000 Watts divided by 20 kilograms is equal to a power density of 50 J/s/kg. This means that if you leave it running for 7 seconds, it has equalled the energy density of a capacitor. 33 minutes, and it's equal to a lead-acid battery. Leave it running for a month, and it's equal to hydrogen. If you can get it up to a terawatt and run it for two days, it's equal to antimatter.

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Postby Zablorg » 2012-01-14 05:45am

Grumman wrote:
Zablorg wrote:Oh, I missed this:

No, there is no time unit required. One kilowatt is equal to one thousand joules of energy per second.

You can't just dodge a legitimate question by pretending the subject matter doesn't exist. So I'll ask again- per what time limit?
Jupiter Oak Evolution!

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Postby Grumman » 2012-01-14 06:20am

Zablorg wrote:You can't just dodge a legitimate question by pretending the subject matter doesn't exist. So I'll ask again- per what time limit?

I'm not dodging the question, I'm trying to explain to you that unless you're asking how quickly it can ramp up to full power, the answer is "per no time unit". The device can produce one kilowatt of power, or one kilowatt-hour of energy per hour.
Last edited by Grumman on 2012-01-14 06:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Postby Zablorg » 2012-01-14 06:21am

Grumman wrote:
Zablorg wrote:You can't just dodge a legitimate question by pretending the subject matter doesn't exist. So I'll ask again- per what time limit?

I'm not dodging the question, I'm trying to explain to you that unless you're asking how quickly it can ramp up to full power, the answer is "per no time unit".

I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that that was the question.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!

Zixinus
Sith Acolyte

Postby Zixinus » 2012-01-14 06:42am

Tell dad, who is an electrical engineer, and plug it into the apartment's household.

We now never have to pay the electricity bill ever again.

That's pretty much it. I'm certain that the lines represent something, but I am unsure what. I might poke it with a multimetre or something.

The only thing I would be worried about is radiation. Something that size producing so much power is bound to be nuclear or even more powerful.

And how am I supposed to move a box 18x denser than lead?

Why not? Sure, it will be a bit of a bitch to do so, but it's just 20 kilograms. That's a bit heavy, but not impossible to lift. I have a 7.8 kilogram benchgrinder and it's not hard to lift.
At worst, you will need to fashion something to help you lift it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! Skype address: Spoiler
bonitz.andras