"Chronicle" Preview

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

"Chronicle" Preview

Post by The Cooler King »

Saw this posted on another board, and didn't see a topic for it here. Looks interesting to me... like a Blair Witch/Cloverfield-type take on superpowers.

I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: "Chronicle" Preview

Post by FaxModem1 »

Looks interesting. And it's pretty true, someone with a superpower would probably become more and more callous about how they use it over time.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

That just reminds me of one of the many re-edits done to a rather infamous comic where Captain America is confronted with the idea of being "out of touch" and his battle against hero registration being moot.

I believe the edited response was "we're lucky such good people got these powers in the first place!"

This film, obviously, is what happens when the people are a bit more . . . base.

Interesting.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Majin Gojira wrote:That just reminds me of one of the many re-edits done to a rather infamous comic where Captain America is confronted with the idea of being "out of touch" and his battle against hero registration being moot.

I believe the edited response was "we're lucky such good people got these powers in the first place!"

This film, obviously, is what happens when the people are a bit more . . . base.

Interesting.
You got a link to that reedit?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Found it, it's thanks to mightygodking, of course. He does some of the best edits.

Enjoy.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, I can totally see this happening. Power corrupts, especially if those with power have never learned restraint in the first place.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

LadyTevar wrote:Yes, I can totally see this happening. Power corrupts, especially if those with power have never learned restraint in the first place.
Maybe. If I found myself with TK (what these guys seem to have) I htink I'd keep it low-key, even if I didn't consider myself a relatively moral person because bullet probably > telekinesis.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Did you see the part in the trailer where they bend a fork against the back of one of their hands? It looks like they got invulnerability too.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Edit :

Post redacted.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Did you see the part in the trailer where they bend a fork against the back of one of their hands? It looks like they got invulnerability too.
Nah, it's because they can create force fields, so the kid with the fork created one over the other kid's hand.

It was a good movie. Some of the character actions were a bit dumb.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

This movie gets an official evilsoup thumbs-up.
Spoiler
I thought the characters' actions flowed well from their characterisations and their flaws and etc. I actually found the main character's 'turning evil' bit believable, when normally that stuff just makes me roll my eyes until I go blind. I was put in mind of all the people here who have revenge fantasies against their school bully tormentors...

And the camerawork actually worked. They used something like the blair witch/cloverfield 'found footage' approach, except they made it not annoying (it's handheld, except for when it's TK-held, but there is no shaky-cam bullshit. Not that I noticed, anyway).

The very very ending, with the one surviving guy going off to Tibet, was bullshit. It ruined the conceit of using the handheld video cameras: up until that point I could believe that all of this footage was put together by a police investigation after the events in the city, but that really ruined the effect.
Cosmic Average wrote:It was a good movie. Some of the character actions were a bit dumb.
What particularly are you thinking of? And do you mean objectively stupid (they do plenty of that stuff), or unbelievable/out-of-character?
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Moby Halcyon
Youngling

Post by Moby Halcyon »

The movie was really worth a watch. The characterization is probably the best part - it's not a superhero movie at all beyond the characters getting telekinesis, so you get to watch the characters slowly grow outward.

By the end, though, I was getting the idea that Andrew enjoyed the cameras to an almost pathological degree - it's especially obvious when he just grabs everyone's cell phones to float around him just for kicks right before the final fight begins.
"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'"
—Fred, Angel
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

The movie looks good, but goddamn some of the people looking forward to it are annoying. Look at the comments section about it at IMDb, for example. Someone will say, rationally I might add, that though a lot of it is handheld-style, there's also quite a bit of traditional camerawork (explained in-universe as the camera being TK-held). Then come the mouth-breathers going "NUH UH IT'S ALL HANDYCAM THE DIRECTOR SAID SO IN AN INTERVIEW". Rinse and repeat. It's almost as if they don't realize that it's just a movie, and there aren't really people out there with superpowers and shit.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Saw it Friday, and thought it was pretty good. They used the 'found footage' conceit better than most other movies I've seen, and the character arcs were believable. You can really feel the sense of exhilaration in these kids' heads as they explore their powers. The last 20 minutes were exactly what I'd expect to see in a fight between superpowered beings; throwing each other through walls, massive property destruction, people being thrown around like ragdolls... I did kind of expect the bit with Andrew Spoiler
disassembling the spider
to come in near the end Spoiler
(apparently, in the original script, he kills his father in the same way)
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Executor32 wrote:The movie looks good, but goddamn some of the people looking forward to it are annoying. Look at the comments section about it at IMDb, for example. Someone will say, rationally I might add, that though a lot of it is handheld-style, there's also quite a bit of traditional camerawork (explained in-universe as the camera being TK-held). Then come the mouth-breathers going "NUH UH IT'S ALL HANDYCAM THE DIRECTOR SAID SO IN AN INTERVIEW". Rinse and repeat. It's almost as if they don't realize that it's just a movie, and there aren't really people out there with superpowers and shit.
Not exactly a spoiler, but it's not found footage in the traditional sense. It's footage captured from in-universe cameras, but it's not presented as footage found later and spliced together.

There's a camera used in the beginning that is lost/destroyed.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

It would be a lot better if they transit from a handheld/Blair Witch style movie into a more traditional style movie towards the end, taking inspiration from district 9.

A bit of background music in the third act could have easily make the ending a lot more emotional and enjoyable.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

LadyTevar wrote:Yes, I can totally see this happening. Power corrupts, especially if those with power have never learned restraint in the first place.
Guns in the hands of morons are bad enough since the distance between urge to kill and death is just the twitch of a finger. If the gap between urge and death is as little as a thought, things could get messier. There was a Twilight Zone episode about the dangers of a kid with godlike psychic powers but a child's petulant mentality. The Elfen Lied manga was a pretty good take on just how psychotic creepy girls who could kill with their minds would get.

Usually the gap between urge and result is greater than the pull of a trigger. It's hard to get guns and even for those who do, it's hard to kill a lot of people at one time. Most school and workplace shootings only have a few victims. Even when someone us wholly dedicated to murder, a Virginia Tech shooting is pretty damn rare. You can kill dozens but not hundreds, not thousands.

Towards the end of this trailer it looks like the scale of mayhem is getting huge. Can he pull a plane from the sky with a thought? Can he knock down a skyscraper?

People can be pretty damn psychotic already even when it's just a question of ordering your guards to kill people. Caligula did what he did while being completely human, just nuts. If he had psychic powers? Oy. More sisters raped and horses elected to Senate, that's for sure.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Saw it last night - best found footage movie ever made, period.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Vympel wrote:Saw it last night - best found footage movie ever made, period.
Saw it last night and I agree. However I'm hesitant to call it a found footage movie, its shot POV but its not presented as found. There is no preamble or epilogue, the first camera appears to get completely fried, the second is blown up (some of the data might survive I suppose) and the final is left in a place unlikely for anyone to stumble upon.
They've presented it as just a movie but all the cameras used exist within in the film itself.

But enough of technicalities. I think this is the first film of this type I've really enjoyed, the film starts slow and quiet setting the stage for the main characters and then spends the rest of the film building at the perfect pace.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Vympel wrote:Saw it last night - best found footage movie ever made, period.
Have you seen Troll Hunter?
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

No, but I've heard of it. Should probably give it a go.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/