Green Lantern TAS - "Beware My Power" Talkback

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Green Lantern TAS - "Beware My Power" Talkback

Post by Steve »

And it's here! The Green Lantern Animated Series premiered tonight on CN. And it seems I've beat JME2 to making a Talkback thread for it. 8)

I'm going to refrain from giving a rating because I've determined it's simply not going to work, as I have GLs on the brain so much that undoubtedly some surprised Medical Examiners are going to one day look at my brain and be surprised to find it glowing green with the GL symbol on it. :wink: I will say, however, that I enjoyed the pilot very much, and this series has an interesting plotline developing.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Green Lantern TAS - "Beware My Power" Talkback

Post by Ahriman238 »

*sigh* and I didn't even tape it. Any idea if this will be on hulu or something soon?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I vaguely remembered the pilot but somehow I found it had better production value than this episode. The first episode (not talking about the pilot) looked kinda cheap. Not bad but at times the characters looked kind of rubbery.

Nice that they've introduced the Red Lanterns. I hope they'll flesh out their back story. I'm assuming that they'll be bringing in other Lanterns and have their own version of Blackest Night\Brightest Day?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Not known as of yet. They're clearly doing their own thing with the mythos; the Lanterns aren't universe-wide (given the whole "Frontier Lantern" thing) and the Red Light behaves differently in those that wield it, since Zox and Razer weren't reduced to snarling, hissing brutes. And the entire issue with the Interceptor needing months of repair time, leaving Hal, Kilowog, and Aya stranded and 18 months' ring-time flight from Oa, gives it a unique feel.

I've never been a fan of "Lost in Space"-style settings, but I'm willing to give this one a shot. They're clearly going somewhere with the entire backstory of the Red Lanterns versus the Green, and Atrocitus' charges that the Guardians wiped out whole worlds. Clearly meant to evoke the fate of Sector 666 in Earth-1's history, but I suspect we'll see a unique spin there too.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

They may not be universe wide but they do cover a lot of area. Remember Kilowog's statement to Hal about being a billion light years away? If he meant from OA (at the center of the universe) then they cover an area of around 4.2e27 cubic lightyears. Not bad. Plus since we know how far they traveled and how long it'll take them to get back to OA on their own then that tells us that the GL's can travel at max speed of 148.4ly\sec. Impressive. :)

I like GL so I'll be watching this show. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Enigma wrote:Nice that they've introduced the Red Lanterns. I hope they'll flesh out their back story. I'm assuming that they'll be bringing in other Lanterns and have their own version of Blackest Night\Brightest Day?
Geoff Johns has stated Larfleeze at least will be showing up later in the season. I wonder who's been cast as Agent Orange.

I'll have to catch a rerun of the pilot.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh, I loved Kilowog's mocking explanation for why, in the middle of space 18 months from his home planet, Hal is still using his secret identity eye mask. :mrgreen:

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The visuals were a little too obviously CGI for my tastes (was anybody else reminded of 'the Incredibles'?) but other than that they looked okay. What I did find irritating was the GLs flying with no green glow around them, that's something I've gotten used to for animated GL fare. And is it me or did they actually have a female Guardian?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Batman wrote:The visuals were a little too obviously CGI for my tastes (was anybody else reminded of 'the Incredibles'?) but other than that they looked okay. What I did find irritating was the GLs flying with no green glow around them, that's something I've gotten used to for animated GL fare. And is it me or did they actually have a female Guardian?
They did. Whether it's Sayd or Scar remains to be seen.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Finished watching pt 2 and other than the aforementioned too obviously CGI issue, I rather liked it (especially as they brought back the green glowing aura for the space scenes).
The 'frontier Lanterns' concept is intrigueing as (at least pre-Rainbow Lanterns) that's something that I don't think has popped up before, them not being able to save the planet was a nice touch, and I had to laugh out loud at Kilowog's response to Hal asking 'Can either of yo do that'?

'I make hammers.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Steve wrote:The visuals were a little too obviously CGI for my tastes (was anybody else reminded of 'the Incredibles'?) but other than that they looked okay. What I did find irritating was the GLs flying with no green glow around them, that's something I've gotten used to for animated GL fare.
They do, it's just a more three-dimensional sheen than the usual 2-D outline aura.
Steve wrote:
Batman wrote:And is it me or did they actually have a female Guardian?
I think I saw two females (maybe three), so it might be both.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

SAMAS wrote:
Batman wrote:The visuals were a little too obviously CGI for my tastes (was anybody else reminded of 'the Incredibles'?) but other than that they looked okay. What I did find irritating was the GLs flying with no green glow around them, that's something I've gotten used to for animated GL fare.
They do, it's just a more three-dimensional sheen than the usual 2-D outline aura.
Not in part one they don't. Hal and Kilowog drifting across Oa to be introduced to the Interceptor have no visible aura whatsoever. Oh, and Steve would probably appreciate it if you didn't attribute my posts you disagree with to him. :D
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Steve wrote:
Batman wrote:The visuals were a little too obviously CGI for my tastes (was anybody else reminded of 'the Incredibles'?) but other than that they looked okay. What I did find irritating was the GLs flying with no green glow around them, that's something I've gotten used to for animated GL fare. And is it me or did they actually have a female Guardian?
Ganthet Called her Sayd.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev