Favorite Paranormal Investigators/Eliminators

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Re: Favorite Paranormal Investigators/Eliminators

Post by evilsoup »

Him giving satan the finger was the only good bit in the movie.
ComradeClaus wrote:btw, what's constie's beef w/ J-man?
I don't think he really has anything against Jesus (though if they met, I'm sure Johnny-boy would find Christ unbelievably smug); he prevented the second coming because the alternative was letting a demon eat a neonatal ward. In the same storyline, he also prevents the birth of the antichrist.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Anton Gorodetsky, Night Watch.

Not the movies, though the first wasn't as bad as I'd thought. The books. Why? Well, he's pretty jaded and cynical, humble with his power, and brave. All of these of course apply to John Constantine and Harry Dresden to. But Anton always seems wavering on the edge of fighting to his dying breath and packing it in. He's a little to empathetic for his job, and no matter how hard he tries he can't not care about innocent people.

Mostly though, i like him because there's a running theme of him being given damn near unlimited power, and doing the last hting you'd ever expect with it.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

An obscure one I just remembered: the title character from a BBC radio 4 series Pilgrim. A pilgrim on the way to Canterbury gets into a conversation with a stranger on the road and vehemently denies the existence of faeries; of course, the stranger turns out to be king of the faeries and curses the pilgrim with immortality. The stories are set hundreds of years later, in modern times. The character himself is a sort of middle-class John Constantine, and the series is good because it doesn't revolve around the same dreary heaven-vs-hell shit that most 'urban fantasy' seems to end up obsessing around (there is one episode that mentions angels ... but not a single angel or daemon actually appears in the programme).
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash